A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Texas

Re: New Event Posted
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #978682 by Dawgdok
Aug 22, 2019 8:30am
Thread
We look forward to the possibility to meeting you!
NLW
Reply to: #978680 by NLW
Aug 22, 2019 11:56am
Thread
{Probably could sell a few boxes of cookies to some hungry boxers!}

You could probably rebrand the event: Support the girls scouts and buy some cookies while letterboxing!!
Reply to: #978692 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 22, 2019 12:07pm
Thread
support the Girl Scouts

I’ll take two boxes. Bring them that day. I certainly had to sell my share of those, once upon a time. Bring any kind, surprise me.
Reply to: #978692 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 22, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
Probably could sell a few boxes of cookies to some hungry boxers!}

You could probably rebrand the event: Support the girls scouts and buy some cookies while letterboxing!!

Then I'd have to bring my girl scout. Ha!
I like this idea. :D
Reply to: #978694 by BinoBoxer
Aug 22, 2019 1:18pm
Thread
support the Girl Scouts

I’ll take two boxes. Bring them that day. I certainly had to sell my share of those, once upon a time. Bring any kind, surprise me.

Will do if I can make it!!
Reply to: #978697 by photopam
Aug 22, 2019 5:06pm
Thread
I'd be in for two boxes of Thin Mints... :P
Reply to: #978701 by Origami Hen
Aug 23, 2019 4:49am
Thread
I'd be in for two boxes of Thin Mints... :P

Great! Thanks
:)
Planting Challenge!!!
Dec 19, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
NC vs TX Planting Challenge
The Basics:
- Challenge runs January 1, 2020 to June 30, 2020
- Open to boxers that reside in NC or TX.
- Only the owner of the box will count as the planter. No additional planters will be accepted
- Must be a permanent plant.
- May be an individual box or in a series. Each box in a series will count.
- Box counts will be verified on AQ.

Remember, this is about increasing the number of boxes in our states so that we have more quality boxes to find! Take time and care with your boxes so that the finders enjoy the challenge as well.

Plant boxes in locations you would be able to check on, are safe from muggle meddling, and will hopefully be around for quite a while. Drive by, long hike, easy clue, challenging puzzle - and all shapes and sizes of letterboxes in between - those details are up to you. You could do a series or individual boxes. The possibilities are endless!

There will be prizes for the top planters. It may be only for the first place. It may be for the top 3 overall. It may be for the top planter in each state. Does that really matter? What really matters is banding together as a state and working to beat the other team!! The top prize is the Glory of Winning!

If you are interested in participating, send an AQ message to Fantastic Mrs Fox if you are in Texas and to Sudoku Crazy if you are in North Carolina.

If you live in another state, sorry! This challenge is limited to North Carolina and Texas. However, you can let us know about your interest and maybe next time we will expand. Or, if you are really brave, you can rally the troops and challenge another state!
Re: Planting Challenge!!!
Reply to: #981821 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Dec 19, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
I'm in.

You mentioned Texas and North Carolina boxers and you mentioned that this is about increasing the number of boxes in our two states but do only boxes planted in those two states count?

PI Joe
Dec 19, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
International Plant a Letterbox Day falls on May 24, 2020 which is within the perimeters of this challenge. I recommend holding off and doing all planting on that day--two birds, one stone. That way instead of getting to beat just one measly state, you get to go against 52 (Puerto Rico, D.C. and Virgin Islands) as well as Finland.
see here: https://www.atlasquest.com/press/plantabox.php#rules scroll to top.
Reply to: #981823 by Wronghat
Dec 19, 2019 8:36pm
Thread
I have never been real interested in these one-day events. I have no idea what I might be doing on May 24th or any other single day next year.

I do, however, very much like the idea of a PAL month or a PAL spring. Better yet, how about we recognise the top state (or top 3 or 5 states) each year for the number of traditional boxes planted by boxers from that state.
Dec 19, 2019 8:43pm
Thread
I'm in. Woo hoo! Go Texas!
Reply to: #981822 by PI Joe
Dec 20, 2019 4:30am
Thread
PI Joe, you count for Texas but your boxes wherever they may be will count for all your numbers.

We thought for a long time whether we limit to our states and decided no. I know which boxers live in texas and she knows NC. So I keep track of texas boxers participating. Your boxes planted in other states during this time counts.
Dec 20, 2019 5:22am
Thread
I'll play, just wish I had known about it sooner so I would have waited before planting some of my recent series. How will you keep track of boxes placed, especially since I only post clues on LBNA? Will we need to notify you each time we plant?
Just curious, why NC?

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981830 by Silver Eagle
Dec 20, 2019 3:00pm
Thread
Correct me if I am mistaken, Fantastic Mrs. Fox, but I believe that the genesis of this challenge was conversations FMF had with a group of NC boxers last fall when FMF attended the Wild About Letterboxing event (which was awesome, by the way) in Raleigh, NC.

I gotta say, those NC boxers are a super-active group of kick-ass boxers, so Texas compatriots, this ain't gonna be no walk in the park... :P

OH
Reply to: #981841 by Origami Hen
Dec 20, 2019 3:11pm
Thread
I'm in!!
Y'all...we got this :)
Reply to: #981824 by PI Joe
Dec 20, 2019 3:36pm
Thread
I have no idea what I might be doing on May 24th or any other single day next year.

That's the one day I do know what I'll be doing.
Dec 20, 2019 3:48pm
Thread
I’m in! We got this.
Dec 20, 2019 9:11pm
Thread
In it to win it!
Dec 21, 2019 6:13am
Thread
Sudoku Crazy did a planting challenge last year for NC. We had dinner and thought about a contest between states. Just sounded fun!
Dec 21, 2019 6:14am
Thread
Oh and I guess we will have to keep watch on LBNA. Will do my best. And I'll have to trust in your honesty!
Dec 21, 2019 8:36am
Thread
I am back from a year of surgeries, chemo, and misery. I'm now cancer free and ready for this challenge!

Just to clarify - every box I plant, no matter where, counts?

Because I have soooooooooo many ready to go. :)

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #981861 by Quiet Place
Dec 21, 2019 8:53am
Thread
Welcome back! I look forward to finding more of your boxes in widely spread places during my travels.
Pace Bend Park, Spicewood, TX - Did You Plant A Box There?
Dec 21, 2019 8:56pm
Thread
Hi Texas Boxers! We were out at Pace Bend Park near Spicewood (west of Austin) today. We were out scouting for planting locations, and we happened to stumble upon a box that we were not looking for. The box (which was a standard food storage-type container covered in camo tape) was completely smashed and full of water. Inside was a stamp made of pink stuff in a plastic bag. No logbook. I had to wipe off a layer of slime before it would stamp, but I got a decent image, but unfortunately I can't tell what the image is (although we have a guess). I dried the stamp, added a spare logbook, and put both in a heavy duty ziploc, and placed it back where I found the box. (I didn't have a spare container with me, unfortunately.)

I've checked both AQ and LNBA to see if I could figure out what box it is, but I haven't found a match.

If you suspect this is your box or you know who the owner is, could you please AQ mail me? I can give you more details that way.

Thanks! Origami Hen
Re: Pace Bend Park, Spicewood, TX - Did You Plant A Box There?
Reply to: #981887 by Origami Hen
Dec 22, 2019 6:18am
Thread
A search on AQ for boxes with "pace bend" in contents produced 5 listings, 4 of which are in the park, but only 2 are active. The box you found might be one of the inactive listings: Heads Up, The Mad Clown.

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981887 by Origami Hen
Dec 22, 2019 6:57am
Thread
There used to be a box series called something like "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda". I believe there was three or four boxes and they were scattered around the trails in the northern central part of the park.
Reply to: #981890 by Silver Eagle
Dec 22, 2019 6:58am
Thread
I like your avatar image. Is that also a new signature stamp?
Reply to: #981892 by PI Joe
Dec 22, 2019 7:39am
Thread
Hi PI Joe and Silver Eagle - thanks for the posts. I found the listings (both active and retired/inactive) you mentioned, but the location of the box I found doesn't seem to match up the clue descriptions. The closest possbility is the Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda series by Cancan, but it's hard to tell. I've sent Cancan an AQ mail about it - hopefully she'll see it and respond.

Thanks, y'all! OH
Reply to: #981893 by PI Joe
Dec 22, 2019 8:57am
Thread
The image is something I found to put on the clue for the box "Don't Mess With TX Eagles", which was a prank against me by the Michigan girls. I don't plan to replace my sig stamp with it, but thought it would be fun to add here as my avatar.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=251594

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981901 by Origami Hen
Dec 22, 2019 1:31pm
Thread
If that area floods, or there were heavy rains in the area, that box could have drifted away from its original hiding place.
Blue Butterfly