A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Texas

Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 11, 2019 5:57am
Thread
I already have three out. I have a couple more in the works.
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 11, 2019 8:36am
Thread
I hadn't heard about this... must have missed it. Thanks for noting! I think I already have put more than 10 out since Nov 1, so I'll be happy to join up! :)
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 12:30pm
Thread
Thanks for putting this together. Silver Eagle is on long vacation, but will sign up when gets home. See y'all soon!
Reply to: #971300 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 11, 2019 4:33pm
Thread
I saw this challenge and thought it would be fun. Just worried I won't be able to finish.
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 12, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
I'm participating. So far i'm half way there. I'm in Dallas area.
Reply to: #971343 by Wry Me
Feb 12, 2019 2:03pm
Thread
Make sure to message SuperHedgeHoggie
Reply to: #971321 by Origami Hen
Feb 12, 2019 2:04pm
Thread
Make sure to msg Super HedgeHoggie
Reply to: #971386 by LadyRisa
Feb 12, 2019 4:59pm
Thread
Done! :) Thanks!
Feb 13, 2019 9:22am
Thread
Fun Fun!!!
Feb 13, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I finally got around to listing the Pre-TALE dinner event. Please come enjoy the small but elegant menu choices. There are GR options and for those inclined, craft beer brewed on location.

Sheesh. No one was going to ask me what the GR option was? It's the Guns 'n' Roses platter. It shows up 45 minutes late, then passes out under the table.

I meant GF. Gluten. Free.
Reply to: #971408 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 12:26pm
Thread
Ha ha. I just figured it was Gluten something, like maybe "Gluten Restricted." I LOVE gluten and eat it every chance I get, so I wasn't concerned enough to ask. :)
Feb 13, 2019 1:05pm
Thread
As John Pinette used to say - I don't know what gluten is but it must be delicious because every time they take it out of something good to eat you might as well be eating the box it came in!
Feb 16, 2019 8:30pm
Thread
Hey now, seen GNR 3 times and never been disappointed, even a couple years ago when Axl looked more like Michael Meyers then humself.
Reply to: #971617 by NLW
Feb 19, 2019 11:24pm
Thread
Yeah, but now he looks like Joan Rivers. And gets around about as well, too. I miss his serpentine.
Boxes at Kerrville Schreiner Park for TALE
Feb 27, 2019 8:37pm
Just an FYI - I'll be updating my boxes at Kerrville before Saturday, specifically Witch way? and The Cursed Treasure Series which have missing stamps. If you wanted to get these, you may want to wait until Saturday to get updated clues.

I'll also try to update the clues for the other series to fit all the trail changes. Fortunately I have an old map labeled with the box locations - so hopefully I can find them all!
Thank you, Silver Eagle and Baby Bear!
Mar 3, 2019 9:37am
Thread
Another great TALE has come and gone. It was drizzy. It was misty. It was damp. The floor of the group dining hall was slippery. But despite all these hazards, we had a terrific time. Great boxes, great food, great bingo... and great friends!

Thanks to Silver Eagle and Baby Bear for continuing the hard work to put on this event for so many years in a row. Long may it continue, and looking forward to the announcement of next year's venue. :)
Re: Thank you, Silver Eagle and Baby Bear!
Reply to: #972306 by Origami Hen
Mar 3, 2019 6:10pm
Thread
I'm glad to say that even with weather, and falls in and around the dinning hall, everyone seems to be okay!!!!!! Thanks again for all that came, and all you did to make it a fun weekend.
Reply to: #972316 by Baby Bear
Mar 3, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
Fun fun! I got all but 1 series... guess I will be back!!
Reply to: #972306 by Origami Hen
Mar 4, 2019 6:48am
Thread
Another TALE that I was privileged to be able to attend. I enjoy these events Silver Eagle and Baby Bear have in March. Such a blast. Great carves, great pot luck, friendly hosts. And it was again in a park where I could rent a cabin. ! Thank you so much guys. Your theme was great too. Mrs Sunny
East Texas Event
Mar 7, 2019 11:00am
Thread
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4151

Just sharing this here to make sure everyone saw it.
Re: East Texas Event
Reply to: #972453 by LadyRisa
Mar 7, 2019 6:30pm
Thread
Thanks for the reminder!
TALE 16 - box posted
Mar 8, 2019 6:36am
I just posted the 3 girl scout boxes I had at TALE.
Event - How Far is Too Far?
Mar 8, 2019 6:39am
Thread
So interested in your feedback.

I have an event in a box that has about 85 stamps and I want to see how far folks are willing to travel for a 1 day event. I have been looking at a location around Hearne or Caldwell to allow about the same/similar distance for SA, DFW and Houston. But can I just say that area is a bit dry when it comes to parks and trails. Wow, I was surprised.

So was interested to see how far folks would travel.
Thanks for your feedback!
Re: Event - How Far is Too Far?
Reply to: #972467 by NLW
Mar 8, 2019 7:06am
Thread
Six hours is about my limit for an event. Since we are in North Carolina, Texas is probably too far. However, I would drive a few hours for an event with eighty-five stamps.

Will that event box be traveling to other states?
Mar 8, 2019 7:09am
Thread
I have 2 small ones, so 2 hours is really all I can do. If it were just me, I'd travel up to 8 hours.
Mar 8, 2019 7:57am
Thread
I'd drive up to two hours to go to a one-day event. Mostly I want to have enough time at the event and not feel rushed, while also avoiding nighttime driving, which I hate.

I do also factor in what roads I will have to take to get to the event. For instance, if it requires driving I-35 between Austin and San Antonio (aka Most Hellish Drive on Earth), I would be more hesitant to make the trip.

Hearne or Caldwell are great for me - 1.5 hours from Austin heading east on 290? Easy peasy.
Mar 8, 2019 8:03am
Thread
One day event might easily be extended, if wanted, by hosting a meet and greet or dinner the night before (or even the day after) at a restaurant. Might invite someone on the participant list to do this instead of hosting yourself. Also, if the stamps will still be on the trails the day after, let people know as they will stay and hike the next day, often offering to help pick up the stamps.

Let people know what lodging is available to encourage travelers.

This way your focus is on the one day, but LBers can make it an entire weekend.
Re: East Texas Event
Reply to: #972453 by LadyRisa
Mar 8, 2019 8:04am
Thread
I've been "watching this space" for this event to see where the final event location is going to be, because I'd love to go. But I do think it's likely to be too far for me to make it all the way from Austin as a day trip. Even if I can't make, I'm very glad to see more action up in that part of the world, though, and hope lots of boxes get planted that I can come find later!
Mar 8, 2019 11:38am
Thread
I've traveled from NY to Nevada for an event before. It really depends on many factors, the least of which is the length of the event.
Mar 8, 2019 12:19pm
Thread
Hearne would work for us, if it is at a time we are available. It's close to the in-laws, so we could easily stay there. Events are the only way I can get my kids to box anymore... 🙃