Jan 9, 2019 8:01am
Thread
Thank you all!!

I am enjoying this beautiful area.
Hey there!
Board: State: Texas
Jan 16, 2019 6:48pm
Thread
Hey there! I just wanted to check in and say hello to fellow letterboxers in my area. I am returning to letterboxing after a long (10 year) break. I started back in 2005 and just picked it up again recently. I can imagine a lot has changed in the last decade and thought I would introduce my new trailname and get the inside scoop on the state of ‘boxing in Texas.

I live in east Texas and am planning to start planting some more boxes around soon. I’ve seen several posts on boxes washing away; any suggestions for trying to secure them? Also, what do people generally use as small containers? Most of my original plants were in film canisters, but those are hard to come across now.

Anywhos, it’s nice to be back, and I hope to see y’all out on the trails!
Re: Hey there!
Reply to: #970370 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 16, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
Welcome back, Bandit Racoon! I'm a relative newcomer to the scene but am pretty active in the Austin area, along with a good number of others as well. Looking forward to having more boxes out in east Texas - Harvey and other flood events have definitely made it more challenging to keep boxes around. I try to avoid putting boxes along creeks or other low-lying areas since flash flooding in Central Texas happens all the time. And putting a really big heavy rock over the box can help too. For outdoors single boxes, I've invested in some LnLs (or knockoffs), and when I do a series, I generally only put logbooks in the last box, so that will be a LnL, but then I use pill bottles (without logbooks) for the others.

Check out the events listing - a small group of us will be doing a planting day out in west Austin in a few weeks, and the annual TALE event will be in Kerrville in March. Sign up if you can! And another thought - there are lots and lots of boxes in the Austin area you can get anytime - especially at McKinney Roughs Nature Park, where Live & Breathe XX was held just a few months ago.

Hope to see you on the trails! Origami Hen

P.S. If you go to Houston and have time, check out my "Owl Be Back" box at Rice University. I'm kinda proud of that carve. :)
Reply to: #970374 by Origami Hen
Jan 17, 2019 6:00am
Thread
Pill bottles are probably the best for small boxes. For normal size I use locking containers I get at Home Goods. If I think a box has chance of being washed away, I connect it to a tree with fishing line.

Hope to meet you in person soon, or find some of your boxes!!!
Reply to: #970374 by Origami Hen
Jan 17, 2019 4:39pm
Thread
Thanks for the event info, they sound like fun! I'll try to be cautious in picking out hiding places for boxes, and hopefully I can find some heavy rocks to help as well.

I make it down to Houston every so often, so I will definitely check out your box the next time I'm there!
Reply to: #970386 by Baby Bear
Jan 17, 2019 4:43pm
Thread
Very cool idea, thanks! What do you find is the best way to attach the fishing line to the box?
Reply to: #970400 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 18, 2019 7:10am
Thread
The boxes I buy have a hinged locking top. I am able to string the line through that hinge, then tie a knot.
A Great Time at Reimers Today
Feb 2, 2019 5:57pm
Thread
I really enjoyed myself at the event today at Reimers Ranch Park. I think this is an excellent event format where we spend the morning placing boxes and then meet up for lunch at a picnic pavillion and exchange clues and go out and spend the afternoon looking for boxes!

Let's plan on making this a regular event. I think we have agreed to have the next on at Colorado Bend State Park and make it a two day event. I can hardly wait.
Re: A Great Time at Reimers Today
Reply to: #970987 by PI Joe
Feb 2, 2019 6:48pm
Thread
Really enjoyed this event and agree that the format should be emulated! Not only did we have a fantastic day, we left behind a whole bunch of boxes for others to find. Win win.

Looking forward to Colorado Bend, PI Joe!
Reply to: #970988 by Origami Hen
Feb 2, 2019 8:59pm
Thread
Now I just have to find boxes to put all these stamps in! I've already hit up the swaps and friends who take tons of vitamins!! Had today and TALE ready but now a new one!!! I cant wait to decide on a theme!

We got pulled away right after Grand Canyon by a sick kiddo. So we will definitely be going back!
Reply to: #970987 by PI Joe
Feb 3, 2019 11:18am
Thread
I think it's a great idea to have more events like this! Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday.
Reply to: #971008 by Open Space
Feb 3, 2019 8:28pm
Thread
I didnt know you were considering coming!! Next one will be either first or second weekend of april and a 2 dayer. We will be either camping or rv parking it 20 min away from CO bend state park.
Pre-TALE gathering
Feb 8, 2019 3:43pm
Thread
I finally got around to listing the Pre-TALE dinner event. Please come enjoy the small but elegant menu choices. There are GR options and for those inclined, craft beer brewed on location.
Power Plant Challenge?
Feb 10, 2019 10:06am
Thread
I was recently scrolling through the general AQ message boards and saw reference to a plant challenge. The Power Plant Challenge is an effort to get more ‘boxes out, both to have more letterboxes to find and to encourage new letterboxers. The challenge is to plant 10 letterboxes before the end of April, which works well if you’re like me and need tangible goals. If you complete the 10 plant challenge, you can earn a patch, if you get 50 planted you earn a Path Tag.

Is anyone else participating or want to participate? Seems like a great idea to get more letterboxes in Texas!

More information about the challenge: https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?threadId=140889&startId=969803
Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 10, 2019 12:42pm
Thread
This might be good for me. A couple of my last carves were so scary I was about ready to give up. All 10 in Texas starting now? Or starting when?
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 10, 2019 1:24pm
Thread
I agree, I'm so glad some NC letterboxers put this together! Technically the official challenge started in November, but I just came across the message thread a few days ago. The challenge as stated in the original thread is any 10 boxes placed before April 30, 2019. Message Super Hedge Hoggie (https://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.php?memberId=41868) if you want to participate in the official challenge as she is tracking participation. Unofficially though, I think it would be fun to plant 10 boxes in Texas before the end of April!

I hope to find some of your boxes soon!
Feb 11, 2019 5:57am
Thread
I already have three out. I have a couple more in the works.
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 11, 2019 8:36am
Thread
I hadn't heard about this... must have missed it. Thanks for noting! I think I already have put more than 10 out since Nov 1, so I'll be happy to join up! :)
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 12:30pm
Thread
Thanks for putting this together. Silver Eagle is on long vacation, but will sign up when gets home. See y'all soon!
Reply to: #971300 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 11, 2019 4:33pm
Thread
I saw this challenge and thought it would be fun. Just worried I won't be able to finish.
Feb 12, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
I'm participating. So far i'm half way there. I'm in Dallas area.
Reply to: #971343 by Wry Me
Feb 12, 2019 2:03pm
Thread
Make sure to message SuperHedgeHoggie
Reply to: #971321 by Origami Hen
Feb 12, 2019 2:04pm
Thread
Make sure to msg Super HedgeHoggie
Reply to: #971386 by LadyRisa
Feb 12, 2019 4:59pm
Thread
Done! :) Thanks!
Feb 13, 2019 9:22am
Thread
Fun Fun!!!
Feb 13, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I finally got around to listing the Pre-TALE dinner event. Please come enjoy the small but elegant menu choices. There are GR options and for those inclined, craft beer brewed on location.

Sheesh. No one was going to ask me what the GR option was? It's the Guns 'n' Roses platter. It shows up 45 minutes late, then passes out under the table.

I meant GF. Gluten. Free.
Reply to: #971408 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 12:26pm
Thread
Ha ha. I just figured it was Gluten something, like maybe "Gluten Restricted." I LOVE gluten and eat it every chance I get, so I wasn't concerned enough to ask. :)
Feb 13, 2019 1:05pm
Thread
As John Pinette used to say - I don't know what gluten is but it must be delicious because every time they take it out of something good to eat you might as well be eating the box it came in!
Feb 16, 2019 8:30pm
Thread
Hey now, seen GNR 3 times and never been disappointed, even a couple years ago when Axl looked more like Michael Meyers then humself.
Reply to: #971617 by NLW
Feb 19, 2019 11:24pm
Thread
Yeah, but now he looks like Joan Rivers. And gets around about as well, too. I miss his serpentine.