Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Tennessee

who is local?
Board: State: Tennessee
May 22, 2019 4:51pm
Spending a week in TN in June, pretty central in Rock Island State Park. Anyone near there?
Scouttrekkie anniversary!
Jun 6, 2019 1:14pm
Thread
Happy AQversary!
Re: Scouttrekkie anniversary!
Reply to: #975994 by Red Bird
Jun 6, 2019 3:37pm
Thread
Yippeeeee doodle! Delightful young lady!
Jun 6, 2019 4:44pm
Thread
YES! One of our most found boxers is by Scouttrekie 339 and counting. Super Hedge Hoggie is in second place at 108.

We also enjoy going out hunting boxes with Scouttrekie.
Jun 6, 2019 5:51pm
Thread
Hoorrraaayyyyyyy for Scouttrekkie !!!
Jun 7, 2019 3:42pm
Thread
Oh my gosh, thank you! I had to check what year it is and it's my 9th year! I really enjoyed boxing with you all and the crazy fun times. It's ashamed how fast time flies by whenever we're having such fun. Hope we get to cross paths soon to do it again.
Reply to: #976078 by scouttrekkie
Jul 3, 2019 1:00pm
Thread
Long time, no see! Happy nine years. I went looking for a box of yours in Pigeon Forge yesterday. There were so many thick and detailed and ornate spider webs -- with greenish spiders on them -- around the area. I could not bear to destroy them to look for the box, so I may go back another time. Haha. Happy trails!
Jul 4, 2019 5:16am
Thread
Happy Anniversary to one of the best Letterboxers. Scouttrekkie, we had the best time in TN with you. Thank you so much for your hospitality and showing us around your letterboxing world up there. You have planted so many boxes for us to find and I thank you. Just sorry, I have not been able to spend another day up there. Maybe one day, we will meet again. :)
Jul 4, 2019 6:26am
Thread
Woo hoo! Way to go, Souttrekkie
What should I see in Nashville?
Jul 8, 2019 7:31pm
Thread
My family is going on a hastily planned trip to Nashville next week to visit family in the area. What are some cool and unusual things we can visit while we are there? Bonus points if your suggestion is dog friendly. Also, are there any must have letterboxes? Thanks in advance.

AstroBeast
Re: What should I see in Nashville?
Reply to: #977116 by AstroBeast
Jul 8, 2019 8:53pm
Thread
We recently went and did the trolley tour. They talk about the history of the music industry there which was really interesting. There's the Parthenon too. We didn't go in but it was fun to see. Didn't get many boxes unfortunately, and it rained a lot while we were there. The state museum is free but meh. We did it on a rainy day. Although it was free we wished we'd spent our time doing something else :)
Jul 8, 2019 11:18pm
Thread
https://www.visitmusiccity.com/
This website has great information on what to see and do in Nashville. Enjoy your trip! There aren’t a lot of letterboxes in the area because many were washed away in the 2010 flood.
Depending how much time you have I recommend a trip to Lynchburg, TN to visit the Jack Daniels distillery. It’s a 1 1/2 hour drive south from Nashville.
Jul 9, 2019 5:56am
Thread
I was recently in Nashville for a conference and was able to pick up a few stamps. I rode a bus out to Fort Negley. It had 3 or 4 stamps that I picked up and had great views or downtown. Also it was free and dog friendly.

In downtown, I went to the Union cafe because there was supposed to be a stamp there, it was missing but the hostess was super awesome and let me stamp their business logo stamp which looks like the the sign out from.

I'd check out Arcade Alley, it is a street downtown that has a bunch of shops and little eateries. Just happened upon it after I left the Union Cafe. Should have grabbed a bite there. Rather interesting old section of town.

The Country Music Hall of Fame was pretty neat. Not a country music fan and pretty much no idea who most of the folks were but it is a nice museum.

I was limited by time and to my feet and the bus, so I did not make it much outside downtown, but there is a pretty big park just east of town that has a bunch of boxes listed.

Good Luck!
NLW
Jul 9, 2019 6:23am
Thread
We used to live in Nashville. I would definitely check out Centennial Park where the Parthenon (Nashville version) is located. The park is dog friendly, but no dogs inside the Parthenon. It is very inexpensive to go inside the Parthenon, if you wish. https://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parthenon.aspx

Here is a site that lists some dog friendly restaurants. https://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/city/nashville_tn_us/

Here are some dog parks in the Nashville area. Edwin Warner is a wonderful park. https://www.bringfido.com/attraction/parks/city/nashville_tn_us/

The Opryland Hotel is a very neat hotel to roam through. They have a waterfall inside. There are some restaurants there, but they can be a bit pricey. It used to cost about $20 to park at the hotel. However, when we lived there, we would go into the Opry Mills (a mall) parking lot, drive around to the side where the movie theater is, park away from the mall (this will put you close to the backside of the hotel). There used to be a walkway from the mall parking lot to the hotel, putting you at one of the main entrances (the Grand Ole' Opry is at this location as well).

If you like Irish pubs, there is a great pub, not far from the airport, called McNamara's Irish Pub. Great food and very fun music, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. https://www.mcnamarasirishpub.com/

Walking around downtown can be entertaining. Specifically on Broadway and 2nd Avenue. You will be right beside the river which has some nice pedestrian sidewalks and bridges to cross (takes you across the river to the TN Titans football stadium). There are lots of shops and restaurants...Wild Horse Saloon, Tootsie's Orchid Lounge (a classic music joint), Margaritaville, B.B. King's, lots more.

Union Station Hotel is a unique hotel in an old train station, located downtown on Broadway. https://www.unionstationhotelnashville.com/
There is a fun restaurant attached to the hotel, on the side, called The Flying Saucer. http://www.beerknurd.com/locations/nashville-flying-saucer#x

If you want a classic Nashville tradition...The Loveless Cafe is a must.
http://www.lovelesscafe.com/
The Bluebird Cafe is another classic music joint where many musicians have gotten their start. https://bluebirdcafe.com/

If you are a carver, please think about planting a box in the Nashville area while you're there. I know several were destroyed in the flood a few years ago. I am not sure how many are out there since we have moved. Have fun!
Starting over...
Jul 19, 2019 2:27pm
Thread
Hello my old friends...would anyone like my large box of old stamps and other stuff, a few logbooks, tracing paper, some puzzles used for postals, some old stamps from events, ect. I hate to throw it all away, but i am starting fresh...

also anyone have any new name recomendations? Don't want to go back to twokittie, but it is just 2 of us now...
Re: Starting over...
Reply to: #977476 by Kitty Krew
Jul 19, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
Oh, me me me!
Jul 19, 2019 6:20pm
Thread
Do the two of you have any hobbies other than boxing?
Reply to: #977481 by LROSEM
Jul 19, 2019 6:27pm
Thread
Vincent loves the outdoors. He's only 3 but he loves hiking with me, i was thinking somthing to do with hiking or nature :p
Reply to: #977482 by Kitty Krew
Jul 19, 2019 7:50pm
Thread
I dont know about your state, but Wisconsin has outdoor classes all over the state for young kids that involve looking for bugs and worms and such.... usually run by state parks or Audubon centers or local colleges.
Jul 19, 2019 10:38pm
Thread
I am sorry to hear that you're only two. That makes me sad. Sending hugs your way.
Jul 20, 2019 3:56am
Thread
Re: name, how about Kitty & Kiddy?
Reply to: #977491 by Colorful Caterpillars
Jul 20, 2019 5:10am
Thread
Thankyou, i miss letterboxing and all the friends i have made! It's been almost a year since I've found a box.
Reply to: #977496 by Kitty Krew
Jul 20, 2019 6:00am
Thread
Hugs to you two.
Jul 20, 2019 6:14am
Thread
Hugs to you and here’s to new adventures!
Reply to: #977482 by Kitty Krew
Jul 20, 2019 6:14am
Thread
Some trail name ideas:

Trailcat
Rustic kitty
Woodland feline

I love that you hike with your cat!! We've been talking of training ours.
Reply to: #977499 by photopam
Jul 20, 2019 6:25am
Thread
Lol, vincent is my son, but we just got a new kiity hazel that might like to go hiking, hehehe
Jul 20, 2019 10:16am
Thread
I am so sorry to hear that you are back to 2. Also sending hugs your way. Vincent is so cute. Great age to actually (sort of) help you find letterboxes.
Reply to: #977500 by Kitty Krew
Jul 21, 2019 6:04am
Thread
Oy! Sorry, I misunderstood.
Your trail name could still keep its kitty feel.

Here's to hiking with cats. 😁 and their people crazy enough to take them.

Hugs to you!
Jul 21, 2019 8:01pm
Thread
Sorry to hear the news. Here's to a fresh start, wishing you and kitty tot the best!! Hugs to you both.
Jul 22, 2019 10:24am
Thread
would anyone like my large box of old stamps and other stuff, a few logbooks, tracing paper, some puzzles used for postals, some old stamps from events, ect.

I would happily take anything you have! My boys and I are looking to seed the area we live in and would love to give new life to things! I hope the new transition goes well. Lots of hugs!

-Celtic Cutie