About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Tennessee

Letterboxing Story
Board: State: Tennessee
May 21, 2018 2:25pm
Thread
Thanks so much to Hale s Angel and Scouttreckie for another wonderful event in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. There was so much to do, I didn't have time for everything, but totally enjoyed everything we got to do. I just love this area. I can't wait to log all my finds.

Kinda funny thing.. on the way home, my semi-boxer, semi-noxer hubby and I left Gatlinburg at 4:30 this morning to drive home. We got to a point where we were both struggling to stay awake. So as we were driving Carl said tell me a letterbox story. I was too sleepy to tell him one. We finally pulled off and took a nap behind the McDonald’s. Then an hour later we got back on the road. Then I asked Carl if he wanted to hear a letterboxing story now. He said no. Hahahahaha.
Re: Letterboxing Story
Reply to: #960293 by DS
May 21, 2018 2:46pm
Thread
Oh that's such a cute and funny story. You two are the best!! It was great to see you both, all the way from FLA. Have a safe journey home, may it be better than when you came to the event.
Reply to: #960297 by scouttrekkie
May 21, 2018 2:59pm
Thread
It was so nice to letterbox with you both! We picked up 3 more stamps from the U-Haul series after having massively stamped at "Alphabet Soup in the Spring' event by Kitty Litter. So fun! Thank you for your story about your sister MB when you were laid low and could not personally join LTC trackers - very touching.

Thanks again.
Reply to: #960293 by DS
May 22, 2018 8:54am
Thread
That's our Carl!
Mountains are Calling
May 27, 2018 5:46pm
Thread
Pics have been uploaded. Enjoy !!!
Re: Mountains are Calling
Reply to: #960530 by DS
May 27, 2018 7:45pm
Thread
Awesome pics DS!! Thanks for letting us rehash the fun memories at TMAC event!!
New to letterboxing
Sep 29, 2018 10:27pm
Thread
I like the artistic quality of letterboxing more than I do geocaching. I found my first letterbox today.

I thought there would be more in my area but there only seems to be a couple active.
How do I find unlisted ones? Word of mouth ones?
Re: New to letterboxing
Reply to: #966113 by Sycophant
Sep 30, 2018 4:36am
Thread
Without getting too nosy, would you give us a general idea of your location?

When there's someone new to boxing, but has a cache background, I'm more willing to share some of my restricted boxes.

I feel like you have an idea of the necessity for secrecy and won't be so apt to just grab and go.
Reply to: #966113 by Sycophant
Sep 30, 2018 3:16pm
Thread
I can tell you have to be patient at first. A lot of boxes have “restrictions” on them. You have to find (or hide) a given number of boxes before they will reveal themselves to you.

We are still pretty new and every time we pass a milestone (100, 200, whatever) new boxes show up on searches.

We started in geocaching too and boxing is a different thing. For one thing there are not as many. So give yourself time to get into the mindset.

When you get into carving you might want to check out LTCs.
Reply to: #966129 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Sep 30, 2018 7:19pm
Thread
LTCs?
Reply to: #966115 by Grrly Girl
Sep 30, 2018 7:21pm
Thread
Tullahoma TN.
Reply to: #966136 by Sycophant
Oct 1, 2018 11:33am
Thread
LTCs are Letterbox Trading Cards. Imagine baseball cards but the image is from a handcarved stamp. Check the glossary under the Home menu for more info.

Welcome to letterboxing!

Knit Wit
Reply to: #966186 by knit wit
Oct 1, 2018 12:16pm
Thread
I have done artist trading cards through snail mail swaps. Are LTCs swapped the same way?
Reply to: #966194 by Sycophant
Oct 1, 2018 12:34pm
Thread
Yes. There are variants but generally someone chooses to host an LTC “tracker”. All participants mail their submissions to the host who sorts them all out and mails them back each participant.

Here’s a good one to start with: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9983

Here’s where you can find a list of all LTC trackers and variants: https://www.atlasquest.com/trackers
Need Chattanooga suggestions
Oct 3, 2018 8:29pm
Thread
Coming to visit next weekend with family (preteen, teen kids). Planning to camp. Would love to hear
*best place to camp (easy hiking & boxing a priority)
*best local, non-chain eateries
*don't miss, off beaten path attractions

Any help?
Re: Need Chattanooga suggestions
Reply to: #966370 by All 4 Bama
Oct 3, 2018 9:46pm
Thread
Recommend looking through the blog that I sent you for a grab bag of hikes across the island.

Boxing here is not great, just straight answer. Boxes are not maintained and are placed in terrible hiding locations. So I can't really recommend great boxing spots.

As far as camping, Keaiwa Heaiu State Recreation Area in Aiea: centrally located, nearby trails with a partial series.

You're already familiar with Kaena Point (based on your boxes there)

Windward you have Ho'omaluhia Botanical gardens

If you have military access recommend Bellows AFB for beach camping.

Not really sure about North Shore.

Leeward....Dont recommend camping anywhere near the beach. Not a great location for overnighting unless you go all the way to Kaena Point, then you might be fine.

If youre into backpacking...or dirt roading...Peacock Flats in the Waianaes is a nice road hike (see the blog) Or you could get a pass to go drive through the Mokuleia Forest Reserve.

Hope thats a start.

V/r
Squatchis
Re: Need Chattanooga suggestions
Reply to: #966370 by All 4 Bama
Oct 4, 2018 5:25am
Thread
The Enterprise South Nature Park is pretty cool. I was there a few years ago and got many letterboxes.
Happy AQ Day to Colorful Caterpillars!
Oct 12, 2018 4:37pm
Thread
Does it seem like 10 years that you have been participating in this interesting hobby? Our paths have crossed at many events throughout the years. You made it possible for me to attend the last one in Evansville, as you drove me after dark, and I thank you.
Re: Happy AQ Day to Colorful Caterpillars!
Reply to: #966724 by carry on grandma
Oct 12, 2018 5:45pm
Thread
Yep....that's just how she rolls, Grandma! Happy cake day to a really fun trail buddy and friend! Hope your boxes are plenty and your trails are smooth this year!
Oct 12, 2018 6:08pm
Thread
And I’ll pile my congrats and appreciations on as well! Happy day!
Reply to: #966726 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 12, 2018 6:47pm
Thread
Caterpillar pile! Happy Day!
Oct 13, 2018 3:41am
Thread
Hooorrrraaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy for Colorful Caterpillars !!!!!
Oct 13, 2018 7:02am
Thread
A very happy cake day to you! I am so glad to have met you and become friends with you! Who else can sleep with hose! Bwahahaha. Love ya lady!
Reply to: #966740 by jlsd0218
Oct 14, 2018 5:22am
Thread
YES! Happy belated AQversary to you! This hobby has brought new friendships and new adventures and I'm so happy to have met you!
Oct 15, 2018 6:55am
Thread
Thank you to everyone for the messages! I hadn't even realized that it was that time again until I received a message from PackerBackers! I have actually been letterboxing for 12 years, but became a member of this wonderful community 10 years ago when I finally bought a computer!! LOL! I should have had an event/party to celebrate! I have met the most fantastic people through this hobby (all of you included), and have the best memories! I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

Thanks again!
Reply to: #966784 by Colorful Caterpillars
Oct 15, 2018 7:36am
Thread
Love this crazy hobby! Looking forward to seeing you in Florence.
J Walkers coming to Chattanooga
Oct 18, 2018 11:31am
Thread
If any boxers want to meet up please contact me by tonight.
We will leave in the AM & will be there Friday thru Sunday.
We will be free on Friday & Saturday nights.

td
Re: J Walkers coming to Chattanooga
Reply to: #966948 by J Walkers
Oct 18, 2018 12:06pm
Thread
Too bad you weren't there last weekend. We were there camping, Friday-Sunday. Have a great trip
Re: J Walkers coming to Chattanooga
Reply to: #966948 by J Walkers
Oct 18, 2018 1:06pm
Thread
Would have loved to have met you but we are heading to L&B.
Boxes in Madisonville
Nov 19, 2018 3:52pm
My recent plants now have clues.