A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: South Carolina

Re: Removal of old unfound traditional plants
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #972130 by J Walkers
Feb 26, 2019 6:30am
Thread
I am mainly talking about hikes that are over 4 miles round trip or are so far out there that it is difficult to get out there.

4 miles round-trip?! Where are these boxes? I'm looking for a letterboxing hike this weekend...
Reply to: #972175 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 26, 2019 9:57am
Thread
I believe u r nearby just up 107.
Cross into SC on 107 & turn left (onto Wigington RD S-37-413) & go over to 130. Turn left & before you get to NC is Bad Creek Road. Turn right & go thru the automatic gate.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=174785
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=182627
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=182626
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=182625
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=182624

We also have lots of boxes located just off of HY 107.
We would love to meet up with y'all sometime.
Reply to: #972178 by J Walkers
Feb 27, 2019 5:27am
Thread
Ooh! And they're even on dog friendly trails!
Reply to: #972193 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 27, 2019 8:26am
Thread
Ooh! And they're even on dog friendly trails!

Yes they are!
Reply to: #972100 by J Walkers
Feb 27, 2019 6:29pm
Thread
I wish I could find the time to put into letterboxing like I used to. Interestingly enough, I have done more working events that direction in the last year than previous years. I even have an event coming up in April at Duke Energy and a couple of library shows coming up this summer. However, those are working times & doesn't leave time for the pleasure of wandering around in the woods.

With all that being said, I have also had the pleasure of finding a box that hadn't been found in years. It's a thrill to know it is still holding a special treasure and art. The decision is yours, though.
Yellow Branch Maintenance of letterboxes
Mar 3, 2019 11:04am
Thread
Lightning Bolt & I went to the gorgeous Yellow Branch waterfalls yesterday. It is 1.5 miles & 1 hour hike one way.
We pulled Don't Feed the Bear as it was laying out with trash & had been there for 10 years. The bonus box & the stump it was in were both gone.
The HH Hotel was there even tho I was told by the last finder that they moved it to the falls a year ago. They must have returned it so it is open (with 2 HH) for business.
We found a box of mine that the last person said wasn't there but after planting it 6 yrs ago, I was the FF of my own box. I left it. The other 3 of that series could not be located but I have them as unknown for now until we know for sure.
2 boxes were gone & retired.
2 boxes we couldn't get to yesterday. Will have to wait for the water to subside.
Re: Yellow Branch Maintenance of letterboxes
Reply to: #972308 by triviadaddy
Mar 3, 2019 12:59pm
Thread
OH so jealous!! I've hiked to the falls more than several time and NEVER have clues with me when I go and of course, there is no cell service - I have so wanted the boxes there......at least I know what's still there.....would love to go with if you make it out to check on the last few. Yellow Branch is still one of my favorite falls and for sure one of my favorite memory trips with 6 teenagers!!
Reply to: #972308 by triviadaddy
Mar 3, 2019 8:29pm
Thread
What box did you find that hadn't been found yet? Curious if it's one I looked for!
Reply to: #972323 by Mountain Acres
Mar 4, 2019 11:46am
Thread
Does anybody know Grey crazy?
Mar 14, 2019 2:17am
Thread
She has not logged on since September. I am trying to replace lost path tags, and I am told that she might have the South Carolina path tags. Thank you in advance if anybody can get Grey crazy a message that I am trying to get in touch with her. 🙂
Re: Does anybody know Grey crazy?
Reply to: #972671 by RDHG
Mar 14, 2019 6:45am
Thread
I will contact her.
Reply to: #972682 by J Walkers
Mar 14, 2019 6:50am
Thread
A message has been sent.
Reply to: #972683 by J Walkers
Mar 14, 2019 6:56am
Thread
Thank you kindly, J. 😁
Reply to: #972215 by Woody clowns
Mar 18, 2019 4:33pm
Thread
I just caught up on this conversation after not being on AQ for months. It's interesting to see how everyone is responding.

Red Cyclone said that boxing in SC is dying a slow death, partly because nobody is doing events anymore. My family was one of the ones who organized those for a long time, and it's a lot of work. We used to have great events at Paris Mountain which are even more work. I would certainly help and attend if at all possible, but it's just too much to do without a group of folks willing to step up and make it happen.

In the last couple years, my family has found it increasingly harder to box. My knees are really bad and I can't hike, let alone box. I hate it, and am heading for a replacement, but life gets in the way sometimes. One of the big concentrations of our boxes was planted for a gathering at Sumter National Forest near Abbeville, but the rangers closed the roads to vehicle traffic to let the roads recover. There's no possible way for me to get in and do maintenance without driving.

I miss my boxing friends. You know who you are! I wish we could see each other to visit, and I miss actively boxing with all of you in SC. It IS more and more uncommon here and I hate that. All of you have brought me some of my very best memories with friends outside and enjoying life.

GreyCrazy
Reply to: #972853 by GreyCrazy
Mar 18, 2019 6:55pm
Thread
Hi Kim,

Welcome back!!! I know you put on some great events years ago, I was there. The first one I went to was the Crappie redo in 2011. And all those Paris Mountain events. I get it too. We're all getting older. Its getting more difficult to hike, let alone walk. My knees are popping and clicking all day and I'm taking pain medicine for it. I'm wondering how much longer do I have. Hopefully many more years. But you had the perfect idea for an event last year. Here's the quote.

ZoeMomma and I have an idea. What if we planned a Reunite-Rejuvenate event? We miss all of you, and we miss hanging around at gatherings visiting. But it’s hot, and we don’t really have time to plan a full-on gathering with lots of planted boxes.
Instead we’re thinking about a reunion gathering where we can visit and enjoy our friends. Everyone brings one box—. Anything that has been sitting around for awhile. A box, a retired postal, a lost hitchhiker, anything that needs a new life. Then everyone chooses or randomly draws one to take home and do something with. We all get the stamps, the chance to visit, and some artwork gets a new start.

This is PERFECT. What happened? It doesn't always have to be a mega-event with hundreds of boxes and weeks of planning. The last event in SC was the remembrance of Lou when she died. Only 1 box for the event, but just to sit around and remember her and tell stories for a few hours. There was around 10 of us there and I drove the 125 miles to be there. So glad I did.

I really hope you'll do something like you thought of last year. It would almost be like a family reunion. :)

Jason
Reply to: #972864 by THE RED CYCLONE
Mar 18, 2019 7:18pm
Thread
I hadn't thought about it since because I don't think we really got a lot of response? It's possible we did and I just don't remember. It's been a long and difficult year.

When I get caught up this week, I'll try again and post under a different thread so it doesn't get lost. We'll see if maybe we can make something fun happen, and maybe get some volunteers to help too. (Hint Hint Red Cyclone LOL)

Greycrazy
Reply to: #972865 by GreyCrazy
Mar 18, 2019 7:31pm
Thread
Being about 100 miles away it would be kind of hard to help but I would do whatever it takes. Count me in.
Reply to: #972866 by THE RED CYCLONE
Mar 18, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
Done! We'll figure out something. There are many ways people who are farther away can help plan an event. :-)

Greycrazy
Reply to: #972868 by GreyCrazy
Mar 19, 2019 2:58am
Thread
I live 1000 miles away from the recent event I cohosted with Three FLAmigos in Florida. I only went to Florida the week of the event to plant and then attend. What a great experience it turned out to be! It was a good thing that I have unlimited texting and calling because our phones were our best planning tools.
Reply to: #972868 by GreyCrazy
Mar 19, 2019 5:04am
Thread
You can count on us.
I still have that box for you to plant in your city park ;).

Find the date that most can come to!

td/Dwight
Reply to: #972853 by GreyCrazy
Mar 19, 2019 5:40am
Thread
In the last couple years, my family has found it increasingly harder to box. My knees are really bad and I can't hike, let alone box.

I miss my boxing friends. You know who you are! I wish we could see each other to visit

I hope you'll come to the Ready, Set, Go! event in November. And bring your friends! The park is only about 60 miles from your town and draws quite a few people whom I believe you know. And best of all, we're planning a 23-stamp drive-by series for those of us with bad knees, bad hips, bad backs or bad feet. You don't even need to get out of the car - just send the least achy person to walk the 10-20 steps to the landmark, retrieve the magnetic box and return to the car for leisurely stamping. Put the box back and head to the next landmark. If you don't bring your own non-achy person, there are lots of people with whom you could tag along as they do the drive-by series. Or they could ride with you. Plus there will be plenty of opportunity for sitting and talking while stamping and stamping and stamping all the table boxes. Watch out for cooties.

Quite Contrary
Reply to: #972882 by Quite Contrary
Mar 19, 2019 6:27am
Thread
Oh wow that sounds awesome! Thank you for pointing it out, I missed the listing.

I will probably having my knee replacement in October so I’ll have to see how I’m doing. Would love to attend if I can. :-)
Visiting Charleston
Apr 6, 2019 6:12pm
Thread
Hello South Carolina -

I am about to head your way and was looking for suggestions on things to do in Charleston. I will be there April 7 through April 18.

Also, if anyone is willing and able to meet up - please let me know. I will be working weekdays from 8 to 5 - but free in the evenings and the weekend.

Thanks so much!
GypsyLadybug / Tina
Re: Visiting Charleston
Reply to: #973861 by GypsyLadybug
Apr 7, 2019 4:04pm
Thread
Lived in Charleston for 8 months. And blogged about most of it.

Here's more things in SC as well

Definitely a lot for history buffs both in and in the surrounding area.
Highly recommend Forts Moultrie and Sumter. Kayaking around Morris Island and the Morris Island lighthouse was well worth it. Best beaches are all outside of town imho with best close place being Botany Bay.

Best,
Squatchis
Re: Visiting Charleston
Reply to: #973861 by GypsyLadybug
Apr 7, 2019 4:25pm
Thread
Hi there! We visit Charleston every year, and love it there. I would definitely suggest a carriage ride as the drivers are very informative concerning the history of the area, etc. The Charleston Market is fun, too. Visit the waterfront. Beautiful. In downtown, we love Fleet Landing for eats; just on the outskirt of town Calfornia Dreaming is yummy. If you can get to Boone Hall Plantation, or any of the plantations, absolutely worth the trip. We also love the nearby islands - Wadmalaw, Kiawah, Seabrook. Kiawah and Seabrook are gated, but you can get in so far. Wadmalaw also has a fantastic winery and distillery - Deep Water and Firefly. Lots of fun. We have also visited the Charleston Tea Plantation. Very interesting tour. Have a ball! - Angel Treads
Are thes viable clues?
Apr 23, 2019 3:16pm
Thread
I was doing some web surfing recently looking for possible sources of boxing clues other than the usual 2. I came across an article in a magazine called 'Pink'. I couldn't find a date for it's publication except on the bottom of page it said 2013.. The following clues were listed and I'm curious if they are still active.

++++Directions to the Famous Cross of Bluffton Letterbox:
Travel to the end of Calhoun Street in Bluffton, SC where you can find the most beautiful view of the sun setting over the May River. You gotta’ have “Faith” as you head ten paces towards the double doors. Turn your sights 90 degrees like you’re “Going Down to the River to Pray.” Proceed 33 paces. Where else would you find a treasure except hidden in a trunk?
+++++Directions to the Heart of Hilton Head Island Letterbox:
Start where you can go to watch a movie at Coligny Plaza on Hilton Head Island, SC. While you’re there, don’t forget to pick up a copy of Pink Magazine! Walk 6 paces and then head towards the ocean. Walk 50 paces to catch the New York Subway. When you exit the Subway, it’s about 10 paces across the bridge. Act like Captain Hook and keep hooking for about 18 paces. Stop just before the “Stairway to Heaven.” Instead, turn right and proceed about 6 paces until you find The Secret Garden. Sit down and take a load off. Don’t be afraid to get close to nature. Look around for something tall with a hole in it. All you have to do is reach for it.
Re: Are these viable clues?
Reply to: #974474 by Sagacorn
Apr 23, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
I do not see either of them listed on AQ. I would also be curious to see if anybody knows.
Re: Are thes viable clues?
Apr 23, 2019 3:56pm
Thread
Apr 23, 2019 4:15pm
Thread
I'm curious if they are still active.

Active as in "not missing?" A lot of box listings on LbNA get archived or deleted when the box is still out there. So technically I guess they're not "active", but the clues are still viable. You may need to do some forensic boxing if the trail has changed, but that adds to the challenge and the reward.
Apr 23, 2019 5:55pm
Thread
http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=70188

I remembered to look in the basement and adoptable on lbna. Didn't see the other one there.