Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Rhode Island

Box of the Month 2016 (February) -- Just over the line
Board: State: Rhode Island
Feb 8, 2016 5:34pm
Hi Folks! "Box of the Month 2016 (February): Lovely as a tree" is now in place just over the line in Connecticut (we are quite near Westerly) -- beautiful carve by shooz. Hope you'll come out to grab it before it's gone!
Snow depth in Westerly?
Feb 18, 2016 6:27am
Thread
Can anyone tell me how much snow there is in the Westerly area, specifically along the coast at Watch Hill? (No, I'm not going to attempt the boxes at Taylor Swift's house again!) Thanks!
Re: Snow depth in Westerly?
Reply to: #920504 by Rocklun
Feb 18, 2016 2:53pm
Thread
None. We had a two foot snow fall followed by -15F temps followed by 54F and raining for two days. All winter in 10 days. There are inland icebergs from plowing but zero snow along the coast.
Re: Snow depth in Westerly?
Reply to: #920528 by Warrior Woman
Feb 18, 2016 3:53pm
Thread
Thank you so much!
hart x 6 visits RI!
Jun 8, 2016 2:06pm
The hart x 6 family rolled into Narragansett, RI today and they were kind enough to call ahead so we could meet and exchange. Enjoy our fair state!
Anyone live in/near Newport?
Jun 28, 2016 4:14am
Thread
Hi! Just wondering if anyone lives near Newport and would be willing to check on something for me? Someone just logged my Castle Hill LB as found. I'm 99.9% sure that it's been missing for almost 10 years. They did say that the path was very overgrown to the box (which may be likely). However, I do know that there's a second CHL box in the area, and maybe they logged the wrong box? Mine's been listed as retired for years, so it wouldn't come up on an AQ search unless they specifically clicked on "retired" boxes.

Would anyone like to go out there and search for my box? And second, check the other CHL box and see if a person named Francesca logged into that one instead?

Thanks!
BB
Re: Anyone live in/near Newport?
Reply to: #929620 by Bungalow Boxer
Jun 28, 2016 6:14am
Thread
I live in RI, is that close enough :-)

I might be able to get out there next week, I'll let you know.
Reply to: #929626 by Warrior Woman
Jun 29, 2016 1:07pm
Thread
Actually, I'm all set WW... Thank you for being willing to help! :-)

BB
Reply to: #929738 by Bungalow Boxer
Jun 29, 2016 2:25pm
Thread
I made a 2 day boxing date with Betsy@TheSummit to conquer Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, and Jamestown next week, so I'll give you an update anyway :-)
Thanks to Warrior Woman!
Apr 2, 2017 4:24pm
Thread
A special Thank You goes out to Warrior Woman and her husband for the fantastic Egg Hunt Gather! I had a fantastic time and it was so nice to be rushing around town dodging other boxers in cemeteries!

Can't wait until next year!

BB
Re: Thanks to Warrior Woman!
Reply to: #943881 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 3, 2017 2:56am
Thread
Yes it was a wonderful time and the weather cooperated, at least on Sunday. Some very creative hiding spaces; my favorite was the teepee made of small sticks. So many thanks to WW and her husband. The strolling mandolin player was a nice touch also. I'm waiting on next year.
Reply to: #943881 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 3, 2017 6:09am
Thread
Yes it was a great day! Fun hides, great carves, creative images along with the best company. What else could you ask for?
Reply to: #943912 by Mim
Apr 3, 2017 8:28am
Thread
Had an Amazing time both at the event and boxing around RI, what a beautiful state! Thanks to Warrior Woman and Not A Lone Wolf Anymore for their hospitality and hard work and preparation. If you missed this year's event, you will not want to miss next year's!!!
New to Rhode Island
Sep 25, 2017 5:49am
Thread
Hello Rhode Island. I just moved here and live in the East Greenwich area. Is anyone interested in meeting for an exchange? Any great events soon I have missed? Any great long hikes I should know about. I'm having a hard time finding longer hikes on AQ. Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Hope to meet some of you soon. Jenn
Re: New to Rhode Island
Reply to: #951719 by 4GC
Sep 25, 2017 7:56am
Thread
Greetings and welcome to the Ocean State! I've been boxing in RI since 2000, I bounce between Narragansett and Clayville. I'd love to meet up and share my experiences.

Warrior Woman
knows the long hikes
Re: New to Rhode Island
Reply to: #951725 by Warrior Woman
Sep 26, 2017 10:49am
Thread
Excellent. Let me know what day/time works for ya.
RI changing route numbers on their roadways
Nov 27, 2017 9:24am
Thread
Starting soon RI will change exit numbers on their major highways. Rt. 295 will be first. Here is a
good website for the info. http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/index.php

Heads up if you have boxes that give route directions in RI.
Re: RI changing route numbers on their roadways
Reply to: #954113 by Sagacorn
Nov 27, 2017 12:57pm
Thread
Thanks for posting this info! I've updated the clue on my RI box.
BL47, who lives a l-o-n-g way from RI and would never have been aware of this change. 8~)
Checked on my Letterboxes Today - The Bike Path Series - RI
Jan 21, 2018 1:19pm
So not to long ago my dad and I went to check on my letterboxes, The Bike Path Series, and when we checked for the first one, it wasn't there! I know it is not a big deal and it happens all the time, but get this; my dad was digging behind the telephone pole, and I was just kinda standing there, watching him. Then I decided to turn around and there it was, literally right behind me, the first letterbox, in about a million pieces! I threw out the broken container and took the logbook and the stamp home. I just blow dried the log, and hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to put it back, good as new.

As for the second box, it's totally missing. We could not find it. But this isn't really surprising, because it honestly wasn't in a very good spot. I have updated it to retired, but I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it yet.

The 3rd box was completely fine. I looked through the logbook, all of the people have beautiful hand carved stamps. I thought I would just let y'all know, I'm going to update the clues now.

Francesca :)
Rhode Island Letterboxing Patch now available
Mar 16, 2018 10:29am
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=4651

Here is the ordering information:
$3 each

Cash (exact) or Check (to Toni-Lynn Miles)
To use PayPal, $4 each (for 1 or 2 patches, $3 thereafter) to sherlock.miles@gmail.com
Locals - let me know before we see each other and I'll pkg what you want, exact change when we meet up.

Send SASE (#10 envelope) to:
SherlockMiles
PO Box 178
Durham, CT 06422

1 stamp for every 6 patches.

I will bring these to all of the events I attend. To purchase at an event, please have EXACT amount (I will not carry change). I will likely not have these on the trail, so you'll need to catch me before or after hiking.
Advice on boxes in Newport and Providence
Jul 7, 2018 3:40pm
Thread
Any advice on must get boxes for Providence, Newport or points in between. Need to be under a mile a prefer indoor or driveby. Thanks.
Re: Advice on boxes in Newport and Providence
Reply to: #962187 by IrishRef
Jul 7, 2018 4:50pm
Thread
We had one of our great letterboxing experiences with this one:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=24548
Ladd Observatory.
But hours are very restricted so you've got to be lucky.
Jul 7, 2018 6:27pm
Thread
I’ve got this on my want to do list.

Warrior Woman
loves KatieKat’s boxes
Reply to: #962191 by Warrior Woman
Jul 7, 2018 8:59pm
Thread
It is well worth it. I got that one in 2011 the last time i was in RI.
Jul 8, 2018 12:28pm
Thread
There are three boxes in Brenton Point State Park, Ocean Dr, Newport that I enjoyed getting. All are short, easy walks in the same direction.

If you do a basic search of Newport they will pop up.
Reply to: #962200 by IrishRef
Jul 8, 2018 1:09pm
Thread
It’s kinda hard to give recommendations when I can’t see your previous RI finds :-(

Warrior Woman
tried
Reply to: #962219 by Warrior Woman
Jul 8, 2018 6:18pm
Thread
My only Rhode Island finds was the library series mentioned in this thread. It was raining that day so only did the indoor series.
Bowling for Rhinos!
Jul 9, 2018 12:57pm
Hi guys! This is a non letterboxing local event that is suuuuper fun and 100% supports saving endangered rhinos!! Just thought I'd share!
https://www.rwpzoo.org/bowling-for-rhinos
Block Island
Aug 23, 2018 7:52pm
Any boxers out on the island who can check on a box?
Ministers Lot access to Mansion beach area... Doesn't look like I'll be getting out there this year and was messaged box is MIA... Hoping another set of eyes might unearth it from the possible over growth? Message me. Sincere Thanks!
18th Annual Southern RI Fall Gathering
Sep 28, 2018 8:25pm
I would love to tag along with any attendees who plan to box in Newport before/after the event. I can meet at the Park and Ride at 138/1A for added convenience.

Warrior Woman
terrified of driving over Jamestown & Newport bridges