About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Pennsylvania

Atlas Obscura: The Second 2019
Board: State: Pennsylvania
May 16, 2019 9:39am
Hi-
For those headed to Atlas Obscura in Doylestown, PA this Sunday just be aware that it is Tile Fest weekend at the Fonthill / Moravian Tile Works grounds. So it will be $ 6 per adult to hunt any older boxes there. http://www.buckscounty.org/government/MoravianPotteryTileworks/MoravianPotteryandTileWorks/events/tile-festival
We are planting the new Atlas Obscura at Chapman park :) See you Sunday!! Lotus
Christmas in July 2019 CANCELLED
Jun 17, 2019 2:57am
Good Morning,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I cancelled the Christmas in July event. Sorry for any inconvience this has caused. Hope to be back next year :) Take care, Lotus
Boxtoberfest CANCELLED
Jun 17, 2019 3:21am
Hello All!
I have to cancel Boxoberfest also. This was a difficult decision and wasn't made lightly. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused, I looked to forward to seeing you all! Hopefully we'll be able to get together again soon!! Best wishes, Lotus

For those who made reservations:
Cancellations can be made via the call center or web. Cancellations made up to close of business seven days prior to your scheduled arrival date will incur the $10 cancellation fee per reservation. If you cancel six days or less prior to the arrival date, you will forfeit the first night's fee. Changes to an online reservation must be made by calling the Pennsylvania State Parks Reservation Center at 888-PA-PARKS (888-727-2757) Monday through Saturday, 7:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, except for backpack camping, which are handled by the specific park.
I know there is a cancellation fee, and I am sorry about that. If you AQ email me your address and the cost of the fee, I will pay you back. I am sorry that I had to cancel after some already made reservations.
Wednesday Bowler
Aug 2, 2019 1:23pm
Just wanted to let everyone know that Wednesday Bowler passed away last week. She was a great lady and will be missed by all :(

https://www.reedandsteinbach.com/obituary/mary-mcdowell/

https://www.atlasquest.com/people/tributes/obit.php?memberId=2262
Ridley Creek
Oct 11, 2019 5:08am
Thread
Heading out today with 2 noxer friends to check on my boxes. Finally, have been putting it off but have had reports of missing and water logged boxes. I know I won’t get to them all, not sure of attention span of my friends. Would like to search for some new boxes that are but need to set my priorities. We shall see...
Re: Ridley Creek
Reply to: #980203 by Mizscarlet
Oct 11, 2019 8:13am
Thread
Have fun! I’m real close in Springfield... if you ever need me to check on a box, let me know. I know your bat box there wa pretty soaked.
Lisa
Halloween
Oct 19, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
So my Halloween boxes are in place :) a bit later than usual, but they'll be out until mid November! Come to Doylestown and find these fun boxes. Lotus
Re: Halloween
Reply to: #980474 by lotus
Oct 20, 2019 3:52am
Thread
Yippee!!! Love these boxes. They are so much fun!!!!
Yahoo Groups
Nov 26, 2019 4:32pm
Thread
Since there were a lot of PA boxers involved with LBMA-
Just a reminder that Yahoo Groups is going away very soon! At one time, there was a very active mid-atlantic group called lbma. Back in the stone age, that is all we had. It was a way to connect with other crazy letterboxing obsessive types. So check out https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/search?query=lbma There a lots of pictures and files you may want to peruse, there may be a clue or two :) But remember you only have 2 weeks and poof gone forever!
Re: Yahoo Groups
Reply to: #981420 by lotus
Nov 26, 2019 6:06pm
Thread
Thanks for the reminder! I may try to archive the whole thing...
Reply to: #981421 by Mu
Nov 27, 2019 3:50am
Thread
That would be great! Thanks Mu!
Reply to: #981420 by lotus
Nov 27, 2019 5:30am
Thread
I have a clue on there I need to take a look at . It was one of my favorite stamps and if I say so myself a darn clever clue.
Reply to: #981421 by Mu
Nov 27, 2019 5:34am
Thread
Howdy Mu, I remember briefly meeting you at L&B XX and at that time you were working for Google, so maybe you have the programming chops to archive a Yahoo Group. I requested a download of the Texas Group, but it was missing many of the photos and I couldn't read the files containing all the old messages. Also, I did not have a storage place to put everything in a format that would allow people to look at it all. Choi, the webmaster for LBNA, has requested downloads for all the Yahoo Groups, especially the US one, but not sure if he has a plan for what to do with it. Maybe you could touch base with him and share ideas. It would be a shame to lose all this letterboxing history.

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981427 by Silver Eagle
Dec 9, 2019 2:17am
Thread
The tool Yahoo provides for archiving groups is useless and only downloads image assets you yourself uploaded to the group. This commandline tool is much better: https://github.com/IgnoredAmbience/yahoo-group-archiver Hopefully someone writes a good script for converting the JSON files this generates to a message board-esque format.

I'm currently archiving a couple dozen groups (which takes forever) and can add the Texas LB group to my list if you give me the URL.

I'll post updates to this thread once content is accessible somewhere else! Definitely need to preserve this history!!!

~µ[sic]
Reply to: #981665 by Mu
Dec 9, 2019 6:25am
Thread
Here is the URL for Texas Yahoo Group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LETTERBOXINGTEXAS/info

Thanks for doing this!

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981427 by Silver Eagle
Dec 9, 2019 8:30am
Thread
I requested a download of the Texas Group, but it was missing many of the photos and I couldn't read the files containing all the old messages.

Eidolon, I think, might have downloaded all of the Texas group messages. I know he was working to download everything from pretty much every letterboxing Yahoo Group he could find and it seemed like an almost complete list. I looked at the messages of on group he downloaded to see the format and it seemed pretty straight forward. I'm not sure what sort of photos or database or other options it might have downloaded, though.

Choi, the webmaster for LBNA, has requested downloads for all the Yahoo Groups, especially the US one, but not sure if he has a plan for what to do with it.

I was discussing that with him. In the immediate future, he didn't have any plans except, perhaps, to put the downloads online as-is. I had thought about creating a group of message boards on AQ that are read-only where people could read and search through the messages, but only if Choi didn't have any interest in implementing some sort of interface for accessing the messages. It would probably be easier and faster for me to do since there are already message boards here that I could piggyback on, but the Yahoo Groups seems more like an LbNA thing and they should have first dibs on providing the data.

But for now, the rush has been just to get the data. Figuring out what to do with it was less time-sensitive.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981665 by Mu
Dec 9, 2019 10:06am
Thread
I'm currently archiving a couple dozen groups (which takes forever) and can add the Texas LB group to my list if you give me the URL.

Is the "newboxers" group on your list? I think Mark Pepe started that one, and it was a lot of fun!
Reply to: #981672 by wassamatta u
Dec 9, 2019 12:20pm
Thread
I already have newboxers fully archived, including photos and files!
Reply to: #981669 by Green Tortuga
Dec 9, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
I had thought about creating a group of message boards on AQ that are read-only where people could read and search through the messages, but only if Choi didn't have any interest in implementing some sort of interface for accessing the messages.

I recently emailed Choi about his plans and he said he didn't have any downloaded files and was planning on you hosting everything on AQ, so I guess he has no plans on hosting them on LBNA. It would be great if you could do this, but I guess you should check with Choi to make sure.

I'm not sure what sort of photos or database or other options it might have downloaded, though.

When I requested a download of groups, Yahoo sent me zip files of all groups I was a member of, but it looks like the photos, and maybe the files, are incomplete and consist of only the ones I uploaded over the years. Perhaps you (or Mu) should use the command line tool Mu recommended to make sure everything gets downloaded before 12/14. Thanks to both of you for trying to save some of our history!

Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981677 by Silver Eagle
Dec 9, 2019 2:55pm
Thread
Perhaps you (or Mu) should use the command line tool Mu recommended to make sure everything gets downloaded before 12/14.

I was kind of relying on Eidolon for that, but I like Mu doing it as well as a backup. It's nice to know there are a couple of copies of everything somewhere.

I can definitely get it up on AQ at some point, but it's not one of those "drop everything and make it happen NOW" kind of features. I'll probably work on it when things are slow and I have nothing better to do.

But it'll be available eventually. One way or another. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981683 by Green Tortuga
Dec 9, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
I'll happily share my files and can help convert them into a presentable state, here on AQ or elsewhere. I currently have about a dozen groups on my list and each takes a few hours. I also hit some throttling on the Yahoo side if I don't take a break between archiving groups and I want to make sure my account doesn't get blacklisted (as has been the case for many of the volunteers more broadly archiving groups) so it's taking a while!

On the bright side, digging through some of these old groups while archiving them is super nostalgic!

Reply to: #981684 by Mu
Dec 10, 2019 10:20am
Thread
I also hit some throttling on the Yahoo side if I don't take a break between archiving groups and I want to make sure my account doesn't get blacklisted

Stupid Yahoo. *shaking head* They create this problem, then blacklist people for trying to fix it?!

I gotta admit, I've never liked the Yahoo Groups. Yeah, I know, they're historic and all--that's not what I mean--but I've never actually been a fan of them. They served their purpose, I suppose, but there's a reason Yahoo is getting rid of them. I'm not sure Yahoo has ever created a service that I actually liked. Which is probably why they're basically irrelevant now.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981700 by Green Tortuga
Dec 10, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I'm not sure Yahoo has ever created a service that I actually liked.

You Always Have Other Options...
Reply to: #981702 by wassamatta u
Dec 10, 2019 3:01pm
Thread
Ha!

Glad Moose Acronyms Initiate Laughter
Reply to: #981700 by Green Tortuga
Dec 10, 2019 3:05pm
Thread
The blacklist may actually have been from scripts to autojoin groups (because apparently you need to be a member even of public groups in order to access their content?) which violated some policy. You'd think they wouldn't care about such policies anymore a mere week before the service shuts down....

I was making decent progress and then started hitting lots of timeout errors last night... *crosses fingers / except for a middle one which is pointed right at Yahoo*
Pennsylvania LB patch
Dec 24, 2019 9:53am
Hi all -
I'm planning on creating a Pennsylvania Letterboxing patch. It's the only state I've boxed in that I don't have a patch for.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts or designs or sketches or anything, please feel free to AQ mail me!! You can also email me and send attachments to sherlock.miles@gmail.com.

If you'd like to see some of the other patches I've designed, you can see them here:
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4651

I will be sure to have them done before Boxtoberfest......if I can come up with a design idea. I will make sure they are no more than $3 each - like the others.
High Rocks Park Letterbox vandalized
Dec 27, 2019 1:49pm
Thread
There's a box that was vandalized. The person who sent this message is an ass--didn't provide a real name or email address--so there's no way to contact them. The message reads:

Your box was found in High Rocks park, Pipersville PA. It is at the message board at the High Rocks parking lot. Please refrain from leaving items in the park as it encourages others to leave trash and graffiti. I appreciate the whimsy of your project but our park should be respected as a wild area and not a backdrop for aesthetic, cultural, or other human-oriented projects.

So if there's anyone in the area that would like to rescue this box, it's apparently sitting out at the High Rocks parking lot.

I don't know which box it is or who the owner is. The dumbass that posted it apparently doesn't realize that letterboxes are actually allowed in Pennsylvania state parks and forests (with a permit--I have no idea if this box was permitted, though).

I'm also pretty sure that nobody ever found a letterbox and thought, "You know, this inspires me to graffiti this tree next to it."

Because, obviously, the person has absolutely zero critical thinking skills.

-- Ryan, a little annoyed at people who think that being a dick is the proper way to save the world
Re: High Rocks Park vandalized
Reply to: #982019 by Green Tortuga
Dec 27, 2019 5:32pm
Thread
Hi Ryan,
We'll head over tomorrow and grab the box if it's still there. Let you know what we find
Lotus & Leafcutters
Reply to: #982024 by lotus
Dec 28, 2019 5:53am
Thread
Box has been recovered, will send you more information later. Going out boxing now:)
Reply to: #982044 by lotus
Dec 30, 2019 8:55am
Thread
So I recovered the box and can't find the listing?
I sort of remember the series, Wizard of Oz
the box we took is the Scarecrow box
Does anyone have information about this series?
Thank you!
Lotus