A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Ohio

Re: One of our new series' at Greenlawn Cemetery
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #978619 by p pack
Aug 21, 2019 12:38am
Thread
Thanks for the heads up and for updating your clues! Reprinting now....

Mama Stork
Re: Anyone near the Longaberger basket?
Reply to: #977934 by Four If By Sea
Aug 23, 2019 9:35am
Thread
I believe the basket is no longer. I will check but i believe they might dis-assemble.
Re: Anyone near the Longaberger basket?
Reply to: #978715 by p pack
Aug 23, 2019 9:39am
Thread
Update. It has not been messed up. A restoration company purchased it and is keeping care of it. It was vacant since 2016 but now has life again.
Re: Boxing in spring grove
Reply to: #977429 by Janila
Sep 1, 2019 6:08pm
Thread
I was reading some posts about Spring Grove cemetery and saw that you said you have a spreadsheet with the boxes marked. Do you happen to have an extra one? We went there once and are planning to go back soon.
Thanks for any help.
Walkingman.
Small series available for adoption in Ohio
Sep 2, 2019 4:38am
Thread
Years ago I donated a stamp to BearDog which was planted near Pancoastburg, OH.

It appears BearDog and Hugs N Kisses are no longer active so I ended up inheriting the series this stamp is among as I'm the only active member of those that were originally involved in the series.

The three boxes in this series was reported found yesterday but there is a sad face on the box indicating it probably needs some maintenance.

If there is someone closer that might be interested in adopting this box (204653) and bringing it up to speed please let me know.
Reply to: #979042 by walking man
Sep 2, 2019 4:48am
Thread
I don't have a spread sheet, but I do have current maps if you would like one.

Mama Stork
Re: Small series available for adoption in Ohio
Reply to: #979061 by BBStacker
Sep 2, 2019 5:39am
Thread
We would be glad to check on them, clean them up and adopt for you!
Reply to: #979062 by Mama Stork
Sep 2, 2019 9:31am
Thread
thanks but I do have a couple of maps.
Re: Small series available for adoption in Ohio
Reply to: #979063 by jeeves
Sep 2, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
Perfect! I will make the ownership change in a little while. Thank you!
Oldest Ohio Traditional Plant
Sep 3, 2019 4:41pm
Thread
I got significantly sidetracked today for a variety of reasons and have been on AQ for over 4 hours?! lol I'm running into a couple of AQ glitches which lead me to go through my entire list of recorded plants and finds and without really checking, I saw that one of my plants is over 14 years old and still going strong?! I've never had to replace the stamp?! Plus it's a high traffic area. Other boxes I though would last a lifetime, have gone missing more times than I care to count.

It's funny because this isn't really one that I would have guessed would have lasted all this time! So what is your longest running plant? Is it an urban plant? Is it a drive-by or is it a long hike? Have you had to replace your carve?

BTW--I'm not saying MY box is the oldest traditional active plant in Ohio. I don't know which of my boxes is my oldest active plant and I don't know who else has a long time plant but I'm guessing Pioneer Spirit might have some long time boxes or Mn8X??? What about my buddies in the Cincy area?
Re: Oldest Ohio Traditional Plant
Reply to: #979118 by Trailtracker
Sep 3, 2019 5:30pm
Thread
Some of the data here may be disputable, but here ya go:

http://firststatebox.blogspot.com/

Ohio was planted by Mapsurfer a mere 20 yrs ago. Go seek the SPOR.

The goody thief
Reply to: #979128 by letterbox goody thief
Sep 3, 2019 5:43pm
Thread
Ohio was planted by Mapsurfer a mere 20 yrs ago. Go seek the SPOR.

But with no known finders (and I have tried a few places), can you really call it the 'oldest traditional active plant'?
Sep 4, 2019 4:23am
Thread
My guess would be a Franzsolo box, if any are active. (Now I have a reason to spend time on Atlas Quest later today when I need a break from decluttering!!)

Interesting, for sure!
Sep 4, 2019 11:02am
Thread
My oldest Ohio find was Mud Hen Marsh, planted in 2003 by Mn8X. It is shown as "active" and was last found in 2014. This isn't too far from where I live, so maybe I should check it out.

All of my other really old active finds were planted by somebody named Trailtracker! She apparently knows how to pick good locations.
Sep 5, 2019 4:48am
Thread
The oldest active plant I could find on AQ is one of Franzsolo's--planted Jan 2003; found Sept 2018. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of Flyfisher's still exist as well.

Feeling nostalgic for some of my old friends.....
Reply to: #979177 by Mama Stork
Sep 6, 2019 8:23am
Thread
Another thought was Scoutdogs', but I think most, if not all, boxes may be retired.
Reply to: #979198 by speedsquare
Sep 7, 2019 2:24pm
Thread
According to Scoutdogs' logbook, all of her letterboxes are retired. But you are correct that she planted a number of boxes in 2002. I think that the oldest active Ohio plant can be determined (at least of the ones listed on AtlasQuest) if some has enough time and persistence.

I am trying to remember the name of a letterboxer that I met when I first started, but can't think of it. She has since gotten more into orienteering than letterboxing, but may have some real old plants out there. (I remember being impressed that she had 150 finds, which was a real achievement at that time!) -Rose
Reply to: #979246 by Rosmarinus
Sep 8, 2019 3:02am
Thread
Gosh, I miss some of those folk! Scoutdogs carved my sig stamp for me! I had an email from Franz not too long ago.

I ran a search using Ohio as location, looking only at active, unknown and unavailable boxes, then sorted by date planted. According to that very rudimentary search, there is a FlyFisher "restoration box" that has been adopted and moved (twice) found in 2017, so 15 years.... Franz has one at 13 years (French Park)

This is such an interesting thread--if I were a bit younger I'd go after some of those oldest plants. Unfortunately, I do not do well in the underbrush, which is where so many of them will be.
Reply to: #979149 by Mama Stork
Sep 8, 2019 4:23pm
Thread
And speaking of decluttering ... why do I have two Ohio gazetteers? If anyone has an interest in one of them, let me know.
Reply to: #979255 by Mama Stork
Sep 8, 2019 8:02pm
Thread
Mama Stock, bring on the underbrush! If you can locate 'em I'll dig 'em out!

Cheryl / TMD
Akron area boxers
Sep 19, 2019 5:32pm
Thread
Recently planted 13 box series looking for clue testers ... Happy to share planting credit ... you already have my gratitude!
Re: Akron area boxers
Reply to: #979591 by Team Awesome Pants
Sep 21, 2019 5:07am
Thread
I am Akron area and could help. No planting credit needed.
Reply to: #979618 by DDDCMJ Express
Sep 21, 2019 6:17am
Thread
Delightful! I will get with you before end of day. Thank you!
Reply to: #979591 by Team Awesome Pants
Sep 24, 2019 8:20am
Thread
Count me in if you need another tester! Either way, thanks for planting in Akron!!!
Happy AQversary, GypsyLadybug!
Oct 8, 2019 6:00am
Thread
You bring so much creative and collaborative and positive energy to the LB communities. Meeting you has been one of the many blessings of this hobby. Love ya!
Re: Happy AQversary, GypsyLadybug!
Reply to: #980150 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 8, 2019 6:34am
Thread
May your cake be light and fluffy, and your icing plentiful. Happiest of cake days to you.
Oct 8, 2019 7:47am
Thread
Happy cake day to you BOTH!!! Two of the most amazing women I know!
Oct 8, 2019 8:24am
Thread
Happy cake day to BOTH of you, GypsyLB and AAFrog! Both of you have educated, inspired, and supported me and many, many others on our journey in this hobby, and enriched all of us with your beautiful stamps, LTC'S, events, and most notably, your friendships.
Go wild and eat cake today, and congrats!❤😄
Oct 8, 2019 9:27am
Thread
Have a wonderful day. I have so enjoyed your wonderful events which have taken me to Ohio.
Reply to: #980154 by Gypsy Fiddler
Oct 8, 2019 9:56am
Thread
May I just 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) all of these wonderful AQ wishes to these 2 letterboxes who make my letterboxing world better? Honestly, letterboxing in the midwest is the best because of you two.