A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Ohio

Re: Oddest place to encounter other letterboxers
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #658113 by antimony
Nov 26, 2011 7:30pm
Thread
We encountered letterboxers in a park at our 1st event standing in what appeared to be a line for a port-a-john. This particular lady had a clipboard in her hand and if she hadn't been a letterboxer, I'm sure she woulda whacked Mr. p-pack over the head with it considering the way he approached her (quickly and excitedly) to ask her if she was letterboxing.

Christy
Re: DUMMB Event
Reply to: #658164 by KJ11
Nov 27, 2011 2:42am
Thread
Nicely done, young lady. Fun to get updates on Songwriter's day throughout ours, as well :)
Reply to: #658134 by jeeves
Nov 27, 2011 5:11am
Thread
I agree! For someone who's been out of the letterboxing loop for a while, it was just what I needed. Low key, lots of good conversation and of course food, and the ability to look people in the eye as opposed to just seeing the tops of everyone's heads!

I did miss seeing the "regulars", but it was nice to get to talk to some who have been around for a while that I keep missing! Loved getting to put a face with Mamajama's name/blog! What a sweetie!

Thanks so much for keeping our DUMMB tradition going KJ, including our tradition of supporting a local charity of the host's choice! Way to go! We figured out that all of the DUMMB counties have now been represented at least once...who's up for next year's event?

Hugs to all...
MHD
Reply to: #658166 by p pack
Nov 27, 2011 6:39am
Thread
We encountered letterboxers in a park at our 1st event standing in what appeared to be a line for a port-a-john.

I remember that event! It was a school house event, right?
Re: question
Reply to: #658007 by Mn8X
Nov 27, 2011 6:41am
Thread
Were you with other letterboxers????

No, of course not...my first mistake! I went from a cemetery box to a book store in Upper Arlington of all place and back out to the car to discover a rather lively hunk of cedar bush in my bangs. Ah well...
Polar Bear Plunge for the Special Olympics
Nov 27, 2011 9:28am
Greetings fellow Letterboxers!

On Saturday, February 4, 2012, I will be participating in my third Polar Bear Plunge...I'm going to be freezin' for a reason! Funds raised by "plungers" like me goes to the Special Olympics.

So, if you're able and willing to help me reach my goal of $250, I would appreciate it. I am hoping that one day my oldest nephew will be able to participate in the event.

Here is the link:
http://soky.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=999506&lis=0&kntae999506=66462981B9C54F339F9F7B1BE421980D

Even $5 can help children and adults with intellectual disabilities feel like a sports hero for a day.

THANK YOU and best wishes for a Merry Christmas!

Captain Sunshine :)
Reply to: #658134 by jeeves
Nov 27, 2011 10:13am
Thread
I echo what everyone else has written.

Thank you KJ11 and Songwriter for throwing an amazing event.
It was so fun to collect some great stamps and meet so many nice Letterboxers and reconnect with old friends.

Thanks for a great space, a great set up and for great weather. :o)

Eric
Reply to: #658113 by antimony
Nov 27, 2011 10:22am
Thread
I went up to 4 people madly searching through Bushes at Hollywood studios at Disney World. They looked SO funny, as everyone else was walking toward rides or sitting down eating food. They stood out big time! I was in the process of explaining Letterboxing to my Brother in law and pointed in that direction that there was a Letterbox hidden back "there" that we'd look for later. He then replied..."are those YOUR people.". I laughed and said yes. I then said " I wonder if i look like that in the heat of the moment?" So I went up to them and asked them if they were Letterboxers. And they were. :o)

You never know when you'll encounter a boxer. :o)

Eric
Reply to: #658287 by Chill E
Nov 27, 2011 11:13am
Thread
One of the best stories I heard yesterday was I think Moon Walk (?) who told about getting pulled over by the police on the way home from an event. Not a big deal until the cops looked at her fingers and wanted to know if she had been recently finger printed! Upped their suspicion level I'd guess! Too funny!

(may not have been Moon Walk...someone correct me if I am wrong...)
Reply to: #658240 by Mama Huntin Dog
Nov 27, 2011 1:37pm
Thread
Yes, it was the 2nd school house event, I believe. We didn't know a single sole and overlooked the event set up. We didn't even know if we were in the right place. Good times!!!
Reply to: #658328 by p pack
Nov 27, 2011 1:53pm
Thread
AND where Kurt got his first cootie too!!!
Reply to: #658241 by Mama Huntin Dog
Nov 27, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
I have seen other Huntin' Dogs with burrs on their coats. Is that how you picked your name? : )
tabletop boxes
Nov 28, 2011 5:55am
Thread
I finally posted the three stamps that were on the tables that I carved:

Whirlpool Dryer is box #186345
Popcorn! Popcorn! is box #186346
Cambridge Glass Water Lilies is box #186347

Thank you, KJ11, for a great event!

We had such fun catching up with all of you!
Re: tabletop boxes
Reply to: #658452 by CookieCutter
Nov 28, 2011 8:04am
Thread
Thanks !
First Indoor Box!
Nov 28, 2011 4:04pm
I just planted my first indoor box! What a rush. :) So if anyone is in the Bellville area, you'll be able to find it comfortably even in the gross weather that's headed our way. Hope everyone else is enjoying what are probably our last sn*w-free days for the year!

-otterbelly
Some really yummy cookies from Ohio!
Nov 28, 2011 4:08pm
Thread
Just wanted to give a shout out for Cheryl's Cookies, made in Westerville. My aunt brought a basket of them for Thanksgiving and left the uneaten cookies. The two of us are taste-testing every kind. Love the flavor of the buttercream frosted, but could have less frosting. Snickerdoodles are pretty good. DH said the Chocolate chip cookies are good. I'm saving the plain sugar cookie for last. Individually wrapped, brilliant idea.
Re: Some really yummy cookies from Ohio!
Reply to: #658564 by speedsquare
Nov 28, 2011 4:43pm
Thread
Yes. My husband was a cookie aficionado and he always declared Cheryl's the best. Plus you can order them online and have them shipped anywhere.
Nov 28, 2011 4:48pm
Thread
Cheryl's Cookies, made in Westerville

Here I thought you were giving us a recipe to try!

bluebirdlover
Stay inside or wear orange, Fashinably Late
Nov 28, 2011 4:56pm
...it's deer hunting season again.
Re: tabletop boxes
Reply to: #658452 by CookieCutter
Nov 28, 2011 7:58pm
Thread
Thanks. My finds are all ship shape now. SS
Reply to: #658574 by bluebirdlover
Nov 29, 2011 5:22am
Thread
I think she is using MY recipe.. Ordering them. : )
Nov 29, 2011 6:39am
Thread
You should live here in Westerville!
Cheryl's always donates cookies to lots of the school district's fundraisers and ceremonies. We get to eat them all the time!!! :)

(Cheryl's district office (with a gift shop) is right across the street from the post office, and you know how much time I spend at the PO! Let me know if you need more cookies!)
Reply to: #658705 by Mn8X
Nov 29, 2011 6:41pm
Thread
For some reason, I am thinking TODAY IS M&8X's BIRTHDAY. Either today or I just missed it, in which case I will apologize.

How do I know? Well, today is my sister's birthday and we are now the same age.

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Girl!
Reply to: #658331 by Granny Butterfly
Nov 29, 2011 7:27pm
Thread
have seen other Huntin' Dogs with burrs on their coats. Is that how you picked your name? : )

Nope...read the article in Family Fun magazine, happened to be over Thanksgiving break I think, and gathered what supplies I had...one of which was a paw print rubber stamp (store bought...shudder! ;-)) and a little notebook with a picture of a dog on the front. We were in the process of training our Brittany Spaniel to be a huntin' dog at the time so we named ourselves the Huntin' Dogs. Well the other dogs quickly gave up the hunt and it was just Mama Huntin Dog after that!

Speaking of dogs...can I get a few good thoughts and prayers sent up for our beloved stray Chow/Shepherd mix, Cheerio? She's got cancer, is about 14 years old, and is just generally not doing well. She is the subject of the stamp (and picture in the clues) for my Madison County Reindeer Rescue Dog Letterbox and she is just the best dog you could ever want to have. Our hearts are breaking at the thought of losing her. Sigh...the joys and sorrows of dog ownership. Thanks...
Nov 29, 2011 7:29pm
Thread
Ooh yeah...back in the day when my kids got A's on their report cards you could take them there and get a cookie for each A or some such deal.....Yummmmm......
Reply to: #658965 by speedsquare
Nov 30, 2011 4:21am
Thread
Okay - TODAY IS M&8X's Birthday! Flood the in-box!
MN8X
Reply to: #659050 by speedsquare
Nov 30, 2011 4:29am
Thread
Happy Birthday Stacey!
Re: MN8X
Reply to: #659054 by jeeves
Nov 30, 2011 6:43am
Thread
Happy happy, Stacey! Hope it's a great day!!
Reply to: #657948 by Mama Huntin Dog
Nov 30, 2011 8:53am
Thread
You? With tree in your hair? You weren't with Jeeves in the bushes were you? ;)
Reply to: #658241 by Mama Huntin Dog
Nov 30, 2011 8:56am
Thread
I'm sorry I missed that. Especially in Upper Arlington. They probably thought you were white trash picking....