A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: North Carolina

Re: Power Plant Challenge
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #975245 by Janila
May 15, 2019 2:15pm
Thread
WHEW - what an amazing challenge and participant announcement at Geekfest!

Over 80 letterboxers participated in the Power Plant Challenge!! All told, more than 2100 new boxes were planted - 2100 new traditional, permanent plants that everyone can enjoy! WOW!!! We had absolutely no clue that it would take off like that!

The patches are in the mail - literally - I sent them off to the post office this afternoon so they are on the way to everyone who could not attend. To the small group of participants who have not yet provided me your mailing address... check your AQ messages and send me your mailing address.

16 boxers planted more than 50 (FIFTY!!!!) traditional, permanent boxes in the past six months!!! SUPER SUPER AWESOME!! When the pathtags arrive, we will send out a message so we can get those out to folks.

SIX boxers planted more than 100 traditional, permanent boxes in the past six months!! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! (no additional prize, but I wanted to brag on them).

The grand prize winner (of pink stuff - of course) is:

AIRSTREAM DREAMS!!! She planted an almost unbelievable (but we believe it) 181 boxes as part of this challenge and totally packed her home town and of course, North Carolina with new plants for everyone to find!

Thanks again for all the positive discussion, hype, and of course, PLANTING that came from this challenge. We would be open to having another/similar challenge in the future, and I hope everyone enjoys all the recent plants and keeps planting more boxes!

Happy Letterboxing!

Super Hedge Hoggie
Reply to: #975258 by Super Hedge Hoggie
May 15, 2019 2:48pm
Thread
Wow!!!! Thanks for the update and thank you for sponsoring this fun challenge. It was wonderful to be inspired to clear my desk of all of the stamps and logbooks that had been waiting literally for years to be planted and it looks as though a lot of others did the same thing! What a great inspiration!
Reply to: #975260 by Janila
May 16, 2019 3:01am
Thread
That's awesome... I would have had been able to plant a few more - but we had snow on the ground for most of the planting time... so if you do it again... maybe a different timeline so all areas can plant in better weather conditions :)
Re: Havent posted in forever
Reply to: #975233 by Goofy girl
May 16, 2019 6:05am
Thread
What? No confetti with your return to the boards?

Welcome back!
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Re: Havent posted in forever
Reply to: #975270 by Road Junkies
May 16, 2019 6:22am
Thread
Thank you *~*~*~
Reply to: #975258 by Super Hedge Hoggie
May 16, 2019 5:57pm
Thread
Wonderful! All letterboxers come out ahead with your challenge! Thank you for posting and encouraging boxers to get planting even during a tough winter! Many thanks!
Re: Havent posted in forever...update
Reply to: #975271 by Goofy girl
May 20, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
Didnt get to go letterboxing it rained. I didnt have my vehicle was at the mercy of the school bus and they cancelled the trip to where the letterbox was I was going to get because it was an outside mall. :(
On the bright side we might take a family vacation to Branson next year so I'll get the boxes around Branson then hopefully. It was a fun and entertaining weekend with the kids' choir and band friends!
Reply to: #975339 by Goofy girl
May 21, 2019 4:56am
Thread
at the mercy of the school bus

Oh my aching back. That's a pretty good haul on a school bus.
Reply to: #975345 by BBStacker
May 21, 2019 7:24am
Thread
It's like a charter bus but no bathroom. The seats were actually pretty comfy. The school has had it for awhile now. The different sports and music dept use it for trips.
Re: Let's get together and craft! For the September event
Reply to: #974939 by Sudoku Crazy
May 22, 2019 2:24pm
Thread
I just signed up for June 29th. Also sent you a message. Would love to know what ideas you have gotten/ still need so I know what route to go. The park is the perfect setting to go wild. Have sewing machine, can travel...but I don;t do clothes so please dont ask me to make you an elaborate costume LOL

Mei Mary Crafty Poppins
Reply to: #975339 by Goofy girl
May 22, 2019 2:28pm
Thread
I vote for a family vacation to NC in September...ahem.....because this LB'er needs to box with you

;)
Reply to: #975391 by Mei Mary Poppins
May 22, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
I'll look at the events board and see what fun you have planned.

Mei Mary, are you talking about the weekend of Sept 20th?
If so I will see what I can do it may just be me.
Reply to: #975394 by Goofy girl
May 22, 2019 3:59pm
Thread
YESSSSSSSS
Reply to: #975401 by Mei Mary Poppins
May 24, 2019 10:02pm
Thread
So hubby is saying I'm a go for the trip... we will see, hope it works out that I can go. I think I have january's and february's clue figured out. I'm not a ciper person so I may not get March's figured, but have a good start on April's and May just arrived in my inbox.

Mei I'm looking forward to it.
Reply to: #975470 by Goofy girl
May 24, 2019 10:33pm
Thread
Also pray hubby is off that weekend to keep the kids so I can come.

Gg
Reply to: #975470 by Goofy girl
May 25, 2019 6:36am
Thread
So hubby is saying I'm a go for the trip... we will see, hope it works out that I can go. I think I have january's and february's clue figured out. I'm not a ciper person so I may not get March's figured, but have a good start on April's and May just arrived in my inbox.

Mei I'm looking forward to it.

OMG OMG OMG...YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I am so freaking happy to read this.
Mapping Boxes
May 29, 2019 9:56am
Thread
Is there somewhere specific on AQ to put a route of boxes for an area?
Re: Mapping Boxes
Reply to: #975628 by RDHG
May 29, 2019 10:35am
Thread
You can use the trip planner if you have a specific route you will be taking. Or, you can map all the boxes in a given area....will show the locations (or approximate) on a map. Not exactly certain what you are looking for, but I use these two to research often. Actually, you may have to be a premium member for the trip planner.
Reply to: #975474 by Mei Mary Poppins
May 29, 2019 11:21am
Thread
Since I dont know if his days off will allow me to come I will book a hotel room in August when i do know for sure so that if i dont get to come i dont take cabin space from anyone else.
Reply to: #975628 by RDHG
May 29, 2019 3:50pm
Thread
Do you mean plan a route from box to box in a certain area?

If that's what you mean, I just do it on google maps, from specific location to specific location. Always works great and no need to be a premium member on AQ.
Reply to: #975632 by Hiking Vikings
May 30, 2019 6:06am
Thread
Thank you. I did not mean to be unclear. I made a route for the area around here and wondered if there was a specific place that I might share it. It is not a trip, per see, though.
Adopting letterboxing materials and boxes?
May 30, 2019 8:47am
Thread
Hey everyone!

As some of you might know, WalkinOrange passed away last year. His wife is looking for someone close to her in Matthews or Charlotte that would be willing to take all his letterboxing material and boxes and get all of his excellent carvings back into the wild.

Anyone (or multiple people) up for the task?

-- Ryan
Re: Adopting letterboxing materials and boxes?
Reply to: #975693 by Green Tortuga
May 30, 2019 9:14am
Thread
Hi GT,

I will be in the area this weekend for SoccerGirl02 NC ODP tournament and would love to pick-up the letterboxing supplies. Please let me know. I sent you an AQmail too.

Thanks,

ODS
May 30, 2019 10:12am
Thread
If there is a lot, I would also be happy to help and would be willing to take the boxes.
May 31, 2019 8:21am
Thread
I think we would all be happy to help get his carvings out in the wild! Outdoorsoccer and RDHG - let me know if you want me to plant some.

If a number of us plant, we could do a WalkinOrange tribute series with his stamps. Just an idea.

SC
Reply to: #975714 by Sudoku Crazy
Jun 1, 2019 7:29am
Thread
That is an excellent idea! I am all for it.
Fortune's Fool
Jun 7, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
So my daughter Ruth has accepted a part time library assistant position at Eva Perry library in Apex. It is part of the Wake county public library system. I am such a proud mama today. I told her that she has to help me plant some boxes in the library.
Re: Fortune's Fool
Reply to: #976074 by Mouse Nanny
Jun 7, 2019 3:31pm
Thread
Congrats! I am so proud of her on your behalf!
Re: Fortune's Fool
Reply to: #976074 by Mouse Nanny
Jun 17, 2019 12:31pm
Thread
That's wonderful. I hope she enjoys it. I am trying to move into a different library position eventually, but currently that, too.

Hope you all are doing well!
Do you remember when...?
Jun 27, 2019 4:11am
Thread
Do you remember when the North Carolina board used to be the busiest board on AtlasQuest? Where did everybody go? I know that a few people are no longer letterboxing. A bunch of us are still here, though. Why do we not chat like we used to? It is not a big deal, yet I am curious about how the activity faded.