A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: North Carolina

Re: Need Asheville lodging recommendation
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #77239 by MountainScorpia
Mar 10, 2007 4:24pm
Thread
You're really sweet! We'll probably want to be in Asheville because I think we will probably only have a couple of nights to be there (can't impose on the babysitter too long!!)

Thanks!
Reply to: #77278 by galaxy4
Mar 11, 2007 10:36am
Thread
here's the copy of the e-mail I received from my friend Madelyn......I can promise you that her recommendation is on the money-she's been in the business for about 20 years! Good luck!!

Well, I have connections--but I can't get them a deal. Especially during the summer. But here goes:
The Inn on Montford (Lynn or Ron) 1-800-254-9569 Not cheap, but unbelievable Wonderful rooms with all the amenities
She is working on her website--it is horrible now (I have been telling her this for years--but I have finally gotten her working She is one of my dearest friends.) http://www.innonmontford.com
Cumberland Falls (Patti) Interesting Victorian http://www.cumberlandfalls.com 888-743-2557
Ponder Cove (Martha) in Mars Hill (Haven't been there but Martha is absolutely wonderful--Hope to go soon, though) www.pondercove.com 888-689-7304
The Waverly Inn (Diane) Hendersonville (She is also one of my dearest friends--but don't tell her I recommended Lynn--They had a huge falling out--so I have to tiptoe around that :) Let's just say it is so bad and that is why I am telling you. http://www.waverlyinn.com (800) 537-8195
RIP Momcatmay
Mar 11, 2007 12:21pm
Jim's mother, momcatmay, passed away Friday evening after a 4 month battle with pancreatic cancer. Thank you to all of you who have sent your thoughts and prayers during the past few months.
Sue of kilory
Reply to: #77375 by kwmom
Mar 11, 2007 2:10pm
Thread
Thanks! I'll check out those websites and see what I can come up with! I'll be sure not to mention any thing that might get your friend in trouble! Thanks for your effort!!
Attending Waxhaw?
Mar 11, 2007 2:29pm
If you attended the Greenwood Gather and will also be at Waxhaw, The Artful Pose is *different* this time. Please be sure to read the clues.

Thanks!

JPMcD
Reply to: #77178 by galaxy4
Mar 11, 2007 2:31pm
Thread
Take it from someone who lives in Asheville.

If you want something approximating your honeymoon experience, you can not beat the Grove Park Inn for ambience and amenities.

http://www.groveparkinn.com/

This is where my wife and I had our wedding reception....the sun sets over the Blue Ridge will blow any other local place away....no lie.

--GoSox!
Re: Hello from SC!!!!
Reply to: #77106 by Electric City Four
Mar 11, 2007 3:18pm
Thread
We are headed to SC, but going in the other direction. Maybe on the way back from St. Augustine we can swing by your direction! I'll look at the maps, check the travel times and let you know. I know CDQ would love to see you guys (box hunting optional and definitely less important that seeing you).

Hope
Pigwidgeon replaced-- new clue
Mar 11, 2007 6:05pm
I didn't get the special box in the mail I was looking forward to planting at Latta, but we did get to Latta and replace Rowling's Raptors: Pigwidgeon today. The clue has changed! The hiding spot for this one is much better than the old one.
To all those around Statesville
Mar 11, 2007 6:28pm
Thread
Hi Guys!! Since it is highly unlikely that my husband will have internet access over the next few days, I wanted to see if you guys would like to get together...I have already spoke to a couple of you, so as for the rest...We are going to meet in Statesville at Sagebrush at 6 p.m. If you can/want to come, let me know by Wednesday...they wanted a head count. I know the first thing he is going to want is actual steak...so I thought this would be the perfect place to meet. Let me know and you guys take care! See you soon!

Jenny
KoTL04
Re: To all those around Statesville
Reply to: #77569 by The Wolf Family
Mar 11, 2007 6:48pm
Thread
Yep...go early...I can't sleep I am so excited, so I am quite sure I have an extra peanut butter jar that needs filling before Friday...You know...Friday is St. Urho's Day...

I look forward to seeing you all!

Jenny and the rest of the herd...
Reply to: #77571 by keepersofthelight04
Mar 11, 2007 6:51pm
Thread
Quote I am quite sure I have an extra peanut butter jar

The kids found a peanut butter jar box at Latta today and were SURE it had to be yours when they saw the container! It wasn't, but it's funny that's how they recognize your boxes now. :)
Reply to: #77462 by GoSox
Mar 12, 2007 4:45am
Thread
You've been given a lot of great info already and there's not much I can add. The Grove Park would be fantastic, but I'm not sure if you could find anything there for your stated top-end price of $150 a night. Maybe... and they do offer package deals which vary in price depending on the time and season you go.

Everything up here is cheaper if you can come up mid-week for a few days instead of including weekend time.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #77564 by keepersofthelight04
Mar 12, 2007 5:52am
Thread
Are you meeting Wednesday? Sounds like great fun!
Softball practices and tennis matches are now in season so I'm not sure if we can swing it-life gets so busy with "older" kids....just wait. BUT, it's all good.
Let me know when! I have a new stamp I just carved to commerate Buzzard Day, March 15. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, so it COULD just be a personal traveler for this week......
Also, Historic Moss Chapel clues are FINALLY posted!!
Aren't you glad spring is in the air???
kwmom
Spring is right around the corner! First sting!
Mar 12, 2007 6:22am
Thread
You know spring is nearby when you get the first wasp sting of the year!
Ouch!! I stepped on a sleepy wasp on my bedroom floor this morning! He should have stayed outside-now he's swimming in my septic tank!!
Historic Moss Chapel
Mar 12, 2007 7:46am
For all those who have patiently waited and asked. Historic Moss Chapel clues are now posted. I included the original stamp (my 2nd stamp and carved with an exacto knife) and a new stamp as well.
Also, there may be another box VERY nearby too-just do your research!! ;)
Happy Hunting!
Re: Spring is right around the corner! First sting!
Reply to: #77675 by kwmom
Mar 12, 2007 9:22am
Thread
You also know spring is fast approaching when you go for a walk and are attacked by bloodthirsty ticks! At least they're the big ones that you can actually feel walking on you as opposed to the macroscopic babies...

TICK TIP:

The fastest way to remove ticks is with clear packing tape.

It's sticky enough to catch every little nasty bugger it can grab a hold of, but it's not so sticky that it'll take the hair off your legs.

DON'T try this with duct tapeā€”that'll tear your skin off!
Re: Spring is right around the corner! First sting!
Reply to: #77727 by BrewHiker
Mar 12, 2007 4:48pm
Thread
thanks for the tick tip-never thought of that-Good to keep in the napsack!
Reply to: #77492 by hopeinnc
Mar 12, 2007 6:26pm
Thread
Yes, yes, yes!!!!! We would love to see you guys! Bmrbldr was just warning one of our fellow boxers about CDQ and her cooties at the Greenwood meet! LOL!!!!

We still aren't positive that we are going to make it to Waxhaw......I may have to come down by myself! Wait......that might not be so bad! LOL!!!!!

moonshowr
Reply to: #77274 by kwmom
Mar 12, 2007 6:36pm
Thread
I'm hoping to have a couple more planted this month! I'm in the process of carving one now ( well, not NOW... ), and have been looking for just the right image for the other! I'm hoping to go hunting for planting sites this week!

moonshowr
Reply to: #77564 by keepersofthelight04
Mar 12, 2007 7:09pm
Thread
Sorry for confusion...it is my way of life here lately...We will be meeting on Friday at Sagebrush in Statesville at 6 pm...if you would let me know by Wednesday so I can give them a head count...it just makes it easier on them...

Thanks and hope to see ya there!

Jenny
waxhaw
Mar 13, 2007 11:48am
Thread
we will be there fri pm sometime & will probably need help with settin up our tent :)
not just with leavin cooties in it either :P
Waxhaw event
Mar 13, 2007 11:50am
Thread
Who all will be at Cane Creek Park Friday evening?? If others are planning to eat dinner there, maybe we could all share a shelter and meet and greet early while we eat our own grub. Any takers???
Re: waxhaw
Reply to: #78062 by the pink dragon
Mar 13, 2007 11:58am
Thread
We could probably be recuited for tent duty. No promises though regarding cooties. we will have a 6 and 7 year old with us!!!
Re: Waxhaw event
Reply to: #78063 by Shoafsters
Mar 13, 2007 12:04pm
Thread
I'll be out there Friday night. I'm not sure about dinner yet, but I could look into places to eat. I don't know Waxhaw well, so if others know of something pipe up-- otherwise, I'll check it out.

Anyone that is doing McDowell on a separate day let me know and I'll give you some tips to maximize your time. E-mail me off list.
Re: waxhaw
Reply to: #78065 by Shoafsters
Mar 13, 2007 12:19pm
Thread
Tent construction is certainly a possibility, just make sure you have directions. I can get lost in a paper sack. And I second the cootie non-promise by shoafsters.
Reply to: #78070 by The Wolf Family
Mar 13, 2007 12:21pm
Thread
Sounds like we need a sign up sheet for Friday mini meet.
Reply to: #78063 by Shoafsters
Mar 13, 2007 2:56pm
Thread
I heard there was a Captain's Galley in Waxhaw that may be nice to eat at Friday night. Everyone like or not like fish? I'm the human garbage disposal (if it's food, it's good) and my kids aren't picky either so anything is good with me. Maybe a later dinner-- 7pm or so? That way there is time for tent set ups. Then return back to camp for a campfire?
Reply to: #78070 by The Wolf Family
Mar 13, 2007 3:19pm
Thread
We will probably be there Friday (staying Friday night). I'm debating staying Saturday night (arriving on Saturday morning for the event, rather than Friday), so as to do a little additional boxing on Sunday. But then I'd miss the Palm Sunday luncheon at the Greek Church - a not-to-be-missed event......!! Food v. Letterboxing - normally not a hard choice - 'boxing would win every time...... except for the Greek church lunches........ sigh...............

Mama Fox
Reply to: #78107 by The Wolf Family
Mar 13, 2007 5:22pm
Thread
yum!
Reply to: #78112 by The Little Foxes
Mar 13, 2007 5:32pm
Thread
My only concern is the whole "gate closing" issue the reservation lady talked about.

We have to get there Thursday by 5:30 or we can't get in the gate. I can't remember the gate times for Fri/Sat.