A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: North Carolina

Re: Payback
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #210536 by WalkinOrange
Apr 8, 2008 11:37am
Thread
You think banjo music would be appropriate?

Hadn't really thought about it. But now that you mention it... YES!

It even ties in with the rafting at USNWC. 8))

Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder about the real reason Knit Wit invited me to come hiking to do the Deliverance box with her...
Neat image
Apr 8, 2008 11:47am
Thread
I ran across this today while looking for a different image. Anyone looking for something fun to carve in Chapel Hill? I'm not going back through that way again so I won't be carving it, but I thought one of you might enjoy it. :)

http://docsouth.unc.edu/unc/display_images/silhouette.html

Liz
Re: Neat image
Reply to: #210606 by Penguin Patrol
Apr 8, 2008 11:59am
Thread
that is very nice.
Re: Neat image
Reply to: #210606 by Penguin Patrol
Apr 8, 2008 12:01pm
Thread
I will point that out to Rock Star and see if she thinks she can carve it. We live in Raleigh so it is not too much of a drive. It is a very nice image. Thanks for suggesting it.

Mouse Nanny
Six Secrets is the last set of secrets for the East coast
Apr 8, 2008 4:14pm
Thread
Six Secrets (coming soon) will be the last set of secrets boxes for the East Coast. 'X' says he already has plans for Seven Secrets, but that it will be on the west coast..... Too bad for you guys that really enjoy 'X's boxes on the east coast. Any comments, questions..... cries of outrage?

-BOB
Re: Six Secrets is the last set of secrets for the East coast
Reply to: #210705 by Bobguyman
Apr 8, 2008 4:28pm
Thread
Any comments, questions..... cries of outrage?

YES

I want a X farm box ! :O) Honest, Sean was not around when I posted about an event on the farm and was graced with semi-heart failure when X hinted that an Talley Valley Farm X box might happen! When I picked Sean up and told him - he was like a deer in headlights - DO YOU MEAN MOMMA that we would have an X BOX on our farm ? I said it could happen- his reply was:

THAT WOULD BE THE COOLEST EVER - I LOVE X

So this is my CRY of OUTRAGE and my CRY of BEGGING !!!!!

I know he will be missed so very very much by a lot of us - and I am thankful that I came down off the mountain to meet him when I had the chance ! One great guy that X is !

I am also STILL waiting to get my little fingers on 5 secrets - PLEASE !!!!

Hollerin' Holly the Troll Master
Reply to: #210710 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Apr 8, 2008 4:38pm
Thread

Now, you're only supposed to have five secrets for 2 weeks, at the most... but I'll tell you the truth. 'X' told me a couple days ago that one person has had it for over a month and has done nothing with it!

Yeah, 'X' is pretty cool as a dad and as a letterboxer. I think he's going to miss planting here and being recognized as much as he is now.

Now, as far as your hopes, I'll have to tell him about this thread later and maybe he'll have enough time before we leave...

-BOB
Reply to: #210716 by Bobguyman
Apr 8, 2008 4:46pm
Thread
The person who had Five for a little while had some health issues so she was quickly and easily forgiven. No big deal, it's been passed on again. I intend to get my filthy little hands on it just before BABE and have it there. If it all works out right, I may be able to have a little drawing to see who takes it home next. Look for me at BABE to play along. Six will be there too.
Reply to: #210723 by X Marks The Spot
Apr 8, 2008 4:50pm
Thread
Well you could have told me...

-BOB
Reply to: #210705 by Bobguyman
Apr 8, 2008 5:36pm
Thread
Too bad for you guys that really enjoy 'X's boxes on the east coast.

Thanks for rubbing it in there, BOB!
Reply to: #210710 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Apr 8, 2008 5:39pm
Thread

Well, since X tipped us off that he will be in possession of #5 at BABE, you could take your large club and whack him over the head like a good troll master and snatch it...

Darth Wolf
Re: #500
Reply to: #210191 by The Wolf Family
Apr 8, 2008 7:52pm
Thread
Congrats The the Wolf Family on there 500th find

I got my 400th last fall
Oh NO! mini meet & more
Apr 8, 2008 8:19pm
Thread
I have been away from the boards and all of AQ...
my grandpa had a bad fall in the nursing home and broke his hip several days ago. He had to wait till he was a bit more stable for surgery but then came thru surgery fine! He is an alzheimer's patient anyway but he has been even moore confused since the fall.

He is back in the nursing home and doing...well...OK.
better than I expected maybe but still not real good...

anyway...
I come to AQ tonight not because I really hyave time to sort thru all my emails but to let yall know I will be trying to catch up...

but I also sign on to night in a frantic worry...
I just found out tonight that the location for the ballgames on Friday have changed. so that means that the location for the mojo mini meet has to change. I hope that some of you can still come but her games will be at Swain County High School and the coach said today that she will get to pitch BOTH games (a rarity for high school).

I will be back to update more tomorrow...
let me know if you think you can make it!
The Little foxes... it should be closer for you than before but those of you in SC... it will be further. I hope you still come! Mojo says she has to see her "Shy-ee" (Shawn of Talley Valley).

More later
*hugs*
Re: Oh NO! mini meet & more
Reply to: #210834 by Dixie
Apr 8, 2008 9:26pm
Thread
Dixie,
Glad to hear your Grandpa is doing okay after surgery...he will be in my prayers for continued healing. Good luck to Mojo at her game.
Turtlelove :o)
Re: Pre Speak
Reply to: #202856 by preboxed
Apr 8, 2008 9:54pm
Thread
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/drdre/nodiggity.html

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=210868;gThreadId=29833

Just a czech back. It's a done deal! For those of you who can't PREdict, how bout hindsight!?!?

pre

who doesn't always *seem* to make sense but really IS intentional and trusts that once in a while folks will pay attention....

thanks and happy boxing..

clues not directions...yada, yada...
Reply to: #210870 by preboxed
Apr 8, 2008 10:18pm
Thread
pay attention

Sorry, I'm too broke to do that.

Shiloh
Reply to: #210871 by shiloh
Apr 8, 2008 10:40pm
Thread
Quote Sorry, I'm too broke to do that.

Aaaah man and it costs nada!

pre
Reply to: #210749 by The Wolf Family
Apr 9, 2008 3:34am
Thread
Too bad for you guys that really enjoy 'X's boxes on the east coast.

Thanks for rubbing it in there, BOB!

Oh, I wasn't trying to rub it in. I was just trying to get the word out...

-BOB
Reply to: #210751 by The Wolf Family
Apr 9, 2008 3:37am
Thread
Quote I am also STILL waiting to get my little fingers on 5 secrets - PLEASE !!!!

Well, since X tipped us off that he will be in possession of #5 at BABE, you could take your large club and whack him over the head like a good troll master and snatch it...

and then pass it on to your fellow SCians!!!

~resQlou
Reply to: #210751 by The Wolf Family
Apr 9, 2008 4:27am
Thread

I just may have to NOW that I have a ramson note on the SC board and will never see my book again.....

:O)

Dear X

I don't want to have to hurt you (I really do like you) but boxing is boxing and I MUST have 5 secrets

Holly
Reply to: #210901 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Apr 9, 2008 4:43am
Thread
I just may have to NOW that I have a ramson note on the SC board and will never see my book again.....

:O)

Dear X

I don't want to have to hurt you (I really do like you) but boxing is boxing and I MUST have 5 secrets

lol...
Chimney Rock
Apr 9, 2008 4:46am
Thread
Hi NC Friends -

Maybe someone can answer this...

About how far from Hot Springs is Chimney Rock & in which Direction? Are there any boxes there?

Thinking about going there on Sunday of BABE weekend.

Maple Leaf Red
Reply to: #210870 by preboxed
Apr 9, 2008 5:16am
Thread
Just a czech back. It's a done deal! For those of you who can't PREdict, how bout hindsight!?!?

Okay, I got nothing on this one. I'm thinking deniserows does. If you put that rap into a country version I may have a better chance of keeping up.

I DO now one thing that is related to you that's a done deal, though-- and a PREfect location!

Right now I'm wondering what the heck Pre has been snorting. *thinking that the snort trademark has less to do with her laugh*
Re: Chimney Rock
Reply to: #210910 by Maple Leaf Red
Apr 9, 2008 6:00am
Thread
It's south of Hot Springs.. It's at least 1 hours and 30 mins. away. It is boxes in the area... but these are mountain roads that whineand twine up and down the mountain. Hope you have fun at BABE.
oceanwinds
change of location - Mojo Mini Meet
Apr 9, 2008 8:46am
hope y'all saw the announcement I made last night...

and for those wondering about the new location...
it is at Swain County High School in Bryson City NC
the High school is actually on the infamous "Road to Nowhere" and there are a couple of letterboxes here.
Deep Creek is also super close by....
and so is the old original depot and the Smoky Mtn Railroad

If I had known about the change sooner and had time... I'd make sure to have more in place.
maybe a late nignt carving whim will come to me.... ?????

here is a map that shows the distance from the original location to the new location
for some folks... in TN or around Asheville etc... this is actually easier
but for those coming up the mtn from mSC... it is not :-( Sorry!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Cashiers,+NC&daddr=bryson+city,+nc&sll=35.288227,-83.203583&sspn=0.459592,1.034088&ie=UTF8&ll=35.274774,-83.272247&spn=0.459668,1.034088&z=10
Reply to: #210910 by Maple Leaf Red
Apr 9, 2008 9:36am
Thread
Hot Springs is about an hour and a half from Asheville, Asheville is about thirty minutes from Hendersonville, and Hendersonville is about thirty-five minutes from Chimney Rock. Your timing may vary 'cause I don't know how fast you're willing to go on swervy roads. I'd go a little faster; my husband would take a couple of days to get there. ;-)

If you've got a good map handy, you can look at the path. You'd take US 70/25 down to Marshall (the most winding part) and from there to Weaverville. Take I-26 East (yeah, it looks like south but they call it east--go figger) to Hendersonville. Take US 64 East to Bat Cave (Chimney Rock isn't listed on the sign).

There are boxes at Chimney Rock Park itself; the clues are hosted on LBNA (Planted by Munchkin Stamper). There are a couple of boxes down toward Lake Lure I think and a couple in Bat Cave. (I think those clues are here on AQ.) If you have time to drive US 74A through Hickory Nut Gap to Fairview, I can let you know how to find clues for four other boxes.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #211006 by knit wit
Apr 9, 2008 9:48am
Thread
Your timing may vary 'cause I don't know how fast you're willing to go on swervy roads. I'd go a little faster; my husband would take a couple of days to get there. ;-)

Hmmm... I think I'd be sticking to the TON of boxes in much closer, much easier to drive Hot Springs, Burnsville, and Asheville.

Believe me, you will NOT run out of 'boxes!
Reply to: #211012 by The Wolf Family
Apr 9, 2008 9:52am
Thread
Quote I think I'd be sticking to the TON of boxes in much closer, much easier to drive Hot Springs, Burnsville, and Asheville.

But is this because you have no interest in seeing Chimney Rock or because mountain roads turn the Big, Bad Wolf into Chicken Little??? :P
Reply to: #211014 by knit wit
Apr 9, 2008 9:56am
Thread
But is this because you have no interest in seeing Chimney Rock or because mountain roads turn the Big, Bad Wolf into Chicken Little??? :P

Err... yeah.
But the time I got to Chimney Rock, you have to take a crow bar to pry my white knuckles off the dash and I don't think I packed enough clean underwear...
Reply to: #211018 by The Wolf Family
Apr 9, 2008 10:06am
Thread
you have to take a crow bar to pry my white knuckles off the dash and I don't think I packed enough clean underwear...

giggle giggle snortâ„¢

Crap... more fees for the trademark...