Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Minnesota

MN Adventure
Board: State: Minnesota
Oct 20, 2013 6:41pm
Thread
Since we will be up in MN this weekend to visit DD, we thought we'd work in some LBing. :) While we have been up to your fair state a few times visiting DD at college, we are still getting the lay of the land and are looking for suggestions on where to start LBing. DD is at Bethel, so we are based in the Arden Hills/Fridley area.

And if anyone is a runner, we'd love to know about where to find out about local races in the spring.

If anyone in the MCC might be available for a "meet", I have some stamps that y'all may use for the GLG if y'all are interested.
Re: MN Adventure
Reply to: #811486 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 20, 2013 10:11pm
Thread
Welcome to Minnesota Sunny Side Up! There are lots of great boxes in the Arden Hills/Fridley, and (widely!) surrounding areas of the Twin Cities. Great carves and amazing clues too!

In terms of races, there is the annual Susan G. Komen Race which happens on Mothers Day.
Mud Run is on the more extreme end of racing, but it would depend on your racing preferences.
Twin Cities Marathon is also annual, though I don't know the date of it offhand. I feel like it might be in the late spring.

Hope these suggestions help! Glad to have another visit to our fair state! :)

ASL Girl
Placing Letterboxes
Oct 21, 2013 10:13am
Thread
Okay...so I'm new but I have been lurking for a few weeks. Figure I'd better say 'hi'. :)

I have some ideas for a series of 4 letterboxes. I am wondering what your opinion is. Should I place them now or should I wait till spring?

Thanks!
Re: Placing Letterboxes
Reply to: #811623 by Linden Leaf
Oct 21, 2013 10:43am
Thread
It depends on if they're going to be indoor or outdoor boxes. There's not much boxing to do in winter around here, so winter-friendly ones are always welcome. And then there's the planting and finding frenzy in spring.

Totally up to you.
but we're glad you joined!
E.N.
Oct 21, 2013 11:07am
Thread
I suggest that you get at least 50, if not 100 finds under your belt before you do any planting. I know that is harsh, but you really need to get out there and get a feel for what are good hiding spots and what are not; and what are good clues and what are not. When you find a box, is it out in the open when you get to it? Was it supposed to be in a tree and it fell out of it to the ground? Was it supposed to be behind a tree, and because it was planted on a hill with nothing to anchor it, a heavy rain came through and washed it out of its hiding place? Was is planted in too busy an area and is completely missing (muggled)? Was it put in a hole and now that hole is filled with water, ruining the entire box? There are lots of things to consider. What kind of clues do you want to write? Straight forward or some that take some thinking to figure it out? I could go on and on...

I started out planting in cheaper plastic containers and man did I learn my lesson fast. If you spend the time to carve a stamp and prepare the logbook/box/ clues, you sure don't want it ruined by the elements.

JMHO,
Mary/CC

PS: Welcome to the obsession!
Oct 21, 2013 1:40pm
Thread
Hi - welcome aboard. Your signature stamp is just great. I agree that it's useful to have seen a lot of boxes before you plant them. However, if you think you have good places for your boxes, go ahead and give it a try. My suggestion would be to plant them whenever you have them ready, weather permitting.
Oct 21, 2013 2:48pm
Thread
Hi and welcome! I do not live in MN, however I am aware of the winters there.I have close friends who live in Minneapolis. I would definitely get some great boxes to protect your hard work from
the elements. Also, due to the amounts of snowfall, it may be wise to plant off the ground.
Even though you may not have 50-100 finds, you will live and learn about planting boxes. You are more likely to get your heart broken that way though. I would plant as soon as you can, if you have them ready to go, at least that is what I'd do. Check on your series boxes periodically to make sure they are in good condition. I would not check on them after a fresh snowfall because nothing is more suspicious than random foot prints leading directly to your box placement! That could raise some interests from some passer-byers.

Anyways, it's an exciting obsession and I am glad you came over to the dark-side!
heh heh heh

MB.P
Oct 21, 2013 4:54pm
Thread
I'd start planting now because having some plants will open up the available finds for you. as well having a higher find count of course. But I did searches in some of the Minnesota towns that my husband's cousins live in and there's just a couple of boxes within 25 miles. so anything that will let you find more will be good!

but yes the ziplock bags are not going to hold up to a Minnesota winter. Not sure they'll hold up to a NY winter, so some of my boxes might be toast come spring.

enjoy
Oct 21, 2013 9:35pm
Thread
Thank you all for your opinions! I do have to say that the more we find and don't find the better off I am. We all normally come away with what didn't work and with what did work with the boxes we find. But I am getting antsy and wanting to place a box. :)
Reply to: #811808 by Linden Leaf
Oct 22, 2013 8:11am
Thread
I'd say go for it!! We went boxing yesterday up to the northwest and we had flurries...cold wind...and chilly fingers! BUT needless to say, I'm in the mood and love to find new boxes any old time. Some that were suspended by bags or just camo covered tubes hanging on low branches BEHIND the trees were great!
Good luck. From the looks of your sig stamp, your boxes will be amazing! Thanks for adding to our resource.
BQ
Re: November meeting
Reply to: #809003 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Oct 22, 2013 12:21pm
Thread
Hi MN letterboxers! I am excited to be able to attend the GLG planning meeting coming up. Letterboxing has done so much to help me keep my sanity lately, while I stay at home with my brood. Thank you for all the great boxes that give us the opportunity to explore and spend the excess energy that little people have. I am very much looking forward to meeting you!
recarve madness!
Oct 23, 2013 8:28am
Thread
wow. I guess it's a good thing that I keep all my original artwork for my stamps. Today (and maybe tomorrow) is recarve madness day, I'm going to do some box maintenance and replace boxes and stamps that have gone missing. The boxes will probably just have their status changed back to active for each as they get fixed and replanted, with notes in the clues to reflect as such.

Skootch always says that the life of a letterbox in the wild is about the length of a squirrel. Would that make these boxes frankensquirrels? zombie squirrels?

There may be a couple new boxes thrown out there, too, while I'm at it. I know my stamps rot pretty quickly, as I'm a big fan of the white speedball carving stuff, but that's the beauty of it. They are like bubbles that are pretty for the moment and then pop when they get too old. (or go missing... grrr...)

So, none of them will appear as new plants, but your searches will reflect their active status when I get them in the ground, so to speak. There'll be a couple new adventures for new folks out there!
cheers!
E.N.
Re: recarve madness!
Reply to: #812050 by estella_naparella
Oct 23, 2013 10:21am
Thread
we will be watching!!
Reply to: #812073 by twofreetimers
Oct 24, 2013 8:57pm
Thread
we will be watching!!

And so will the aforementioned zombified squirrels!
Reply to: #812260 by ASL Girl
Oct 24, 2013 9:10pm
Thread
H'okay, I'm wondering, where did y'all find Gary Oldman? I know I first put him at Riverplace, and then, I think there was a second location that failed, and then I moved him to Monticello.

This will be the third time I've recarved this guy before I admit that he's actually cursed. I don't remember the middle location. Help!
Reply to: #812261 by estella_naparella
Oct 25, 2013 6:06am
Thread
I attempted at both Riverplace and the Monticello cemetery.
Bittersweet
Oct 26, 2013 12:28am
Thread
An impromptu visit on the occasion of my wife's grandpa's funeral. Of all the days of the year, he passed on my MIL's birthday (yes, his own daughter). I never knew him well, but my wife lived with her grandparents for a few years during high school. Glad we could come on a moments notice, and only live a few hours away.

I hadn't been to visit in almost a year, and so much has changed! New construction, houses painted new colors, parks that were heavily groomed altering the tree lines and underbrush- and clues that now require attention because of it. At least this time I remembered to bring the two boxes I'd been prepared to plant three years ago before I left town!

I'll always love MN in the autumn.
Re: Bittersweet
Reply to: #812437 by Luxem Via
Oct 26, 2013 5:07am
Thread
Welcome home, Luxem Via! We're always glad to have you make an appearance here when you can! :-) I just noticed your new box in Maplewood. Sounds like a fun one to go after.

ASL Girl
Oct 26, 2013 4:01pm
Thread
All my metro area boxes are alive and well, recarved where needed, new logbooks here and there, where I knew they needed to be applied. All is set and ready to go!

I really need to think of a good spot for the accursed Gary Oldman stamp....
Fabulous weather!
Oct 28, 2013 1:21pm
Thread
I feel like a dog who's slipped it's leash and is out on the run! After 6 weeks of baby steps, setbacks and inactivity, getting out on the trail has been HEAVEN! The weather is so beautiful! no bugs, cool enough to wear denim without sweating to death, so I can go in the scratchy stuff, and open trails!

Awesome! That's all I have to say, just freaking awesome!

Thank you to all my letterboxing friends who put cool things out on the trail for me to find! Trail hiking has been about the best rehab for my foot! I can almost walk uneven trails without pain! Sweet deal!

Just lots of happy today. :)
Re: Fabulous weather!
Reply to: #812821 by estella_naparella
Oct 28, 2013 4:29pm
Thread
Happy Happy JOY JOY! Happy Happy JOY JOY!!!!!!!!!

ASL Girl
Re: Fabulous weather!
Reply to: #812821 by estella_naparella
Oct 29, 2013 3:05am
Thread
The weather is so beautiful! no bugs, cool enough to wear denim without sweating to death, so I can go in the scratchy stuff, and open trails!

"It's times like this I wish I had a tail to wag." Harry Bliss
http://harrybliss.com/
Oct 30, 2013 10:08am
Thread
MSG: 812050 10/23 ...
I'm going to do some box maintenance and replace boxes and stamps that have gone missing.

MSG: 812535 10/26 ...
All my metro area boxes are alive and well, recarved where needed, new logbooks here and there, where I knew they needed to be applied. All is set and ready to go!

Does it seem to anyone else that ~one~ reason some Lboxers screen comments and decide to "disapprove" posting a comment is because they're aware one of their lboxes may be missing, but for good (or not-so-good) reason don't want to report it as unavailable, unknown, etc. The owner may still decide it's worth your drive and hunt/hike in a scenic location even though the lbox has been reported missing by more than one party. Perhaps they're too involved with more pressing tasks to check out its status or perhaps they've lost some of their Lboxing interest/passion that they once enjoyed.

MSG: 812821 10/28 ...
Thank you to all my letterboxing friends who put cool things out on the trail for me to find! Trail hiking has been about the best rehab for my foot! I can almost walk uneven trails without pain! Sweet deal!

Shouldn't we all be ever mindful of your excellent caretaker ownership example. Your responsible Lboxing ethics are to be emulated. It's Lboxers like you that deserve honorable mention, if not an award at next year's GLG for their caregiving commitment to this hobby/sport.
Reply to: #813106 by Frenchie
Oct 30, 2013 12:02pm
Thread
Does it seem to anyone else that ~one~ reason some Lboxers screen comments and decide to "disapprove" posting a comment is because they're aware one of their lboxes may be missing

I've never found that to be the case.

I screen comments on my boxes to avoid "spoilers" being posted that will ruin the fun for the next finder. If someone reports a box might be missing or needs attention, I'll check on it, and I think most of the local boxers do the same.

I usually send a private AQ mail to the planter if a box needs attention rather than posting a public comment.
Reply to: #813122 by brandicat
Oct 30, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
I don't screen comments at all. So far no one has given me a reason to screen!! and hopefully that doesn't change!
Oct 30, 2013 5:31pm
Thread
...some Lboxers screen comments ...

1. everyone plays this game differently ... there are no hard-and-fast rules
2. I totally screen AQ comments on my boxes for whatever reason I want to.
Oct 30, 2013 9:13pm
Thread
Does it seem to anyone else that ~one~ reason some Lboxers screen comments and decide to "disapprove" posting a comment is because they're aware one of their lboxes may be missing, but for good (or not-so-good) reason don't want to report it as unavailable, unknown, etc. The owner may still decide it's worth your drive and hunt/hike in a scenic location even though the lbox has been reported missing by more than one party. Perhaps they're too involved with more pressing tasks to check out its status or perhaps they've lost some of their Lboxing interest/passion that they once enjoyed.

I fall into the latter two categories you mention. I have been letterboxing for 8+ years now. It is something I enjoy doing when I can, which is not very often these days. When I started I had grandiose plans for lots of plants and series, and then Life happens. Kids, work, sports, etc. My seasonal job takes a lot of energy during the good LBing months, and what time I don't spend there is often spent with my noxer family doing other things.

I read the find notes for my boxes, but I don't always approve them because a) I don't have time to verify their observations (I suppose I could let them post and be caveat for the next finder) and 2) I'm inherently, unapologetically lazy sometimes. And when those e-mails get pushed down in my e-mail inbox, I forget about them!

I truly do appreciate those who take the time to let me know what's going on with my boxes, and especially those who make repairs where needed. Really, you are lifesavers. :)

But please don't take offense if I don't respond to or "approve" your post. It really is nothing personal. I promise.

Cheers,
-AG
Reply to: #813211 by ArtGekko
Nov 2, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
Your latest artistic carving is just the incentive I need to escape from the metro for a few hours. Will be my 111 Lbox find(hopefully). There's a similar round barn (early Swedish farming community) in good standing near "Laura in the Big Woods."
Dunes/zimmerman outing
Nov 5, 2013 1:30pm
Thread
I want to go up to find a bunch of the boxes in Dunes park. The only series that we have so far is the Dr Who series from this years spring event. Is there anyone who would like to go sometime soon- I am open to taking a day off work to play in the park.

I only need 107 more finds to have one for everyday of the year. My goal was 365, but at the very least I would like to get to 300.

-Tie Dye Sue
Re: Dunes/zimmerman outing
Reply to: #814276 by tie dye sue
Nov 5, 2013 3:05pm
Thread
ooh. You don't know me but I know you from finding your Signature Stamp in log books. That's like knowing someone isn't it? :) I'd love to do it but I don't know if you were actually looking for MEto join you...maybe someone you have already met.