Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Minnesota

We Have An AQVersary to celebrate!
Board: State: Minnesota
Oct 11, 2013 4:48am
Happy 6th AQVersary to SZSRocks! Thanks for all you've done to contribute to the Minnesota Letterboxing Community and beyond! Have a fantastic day!

ASL Girl
First day back out on the trail
Oct 12, 2013 5:13am
Thread
As I type, and the Henry is playing with a spent shell casing in a huge pile of bubblewrap on the floor, I'm being very happy and wanted to share.

Today I get to go back out on the trail. Probably very limited, and I'll bring the painkillers with me, but I'm going to try to go and do our favorite hobby! I'm also delivering a present to a couple of my clients: a boxing bag, 2 personal stamps, 3 stamp pads, a set of markers, a logbook, baby wipes, stamp cleaner, sun screen and some extra ziplock baggies. It would be awesome if it takes with them, they would love it!

Well, cheers to all, see you on the trail, now that I can go be on the trail!
E.N.
Re: First day back out on the trail
Reply to: #809989 by estella_naparella
Oct 12, 2013 7:57am
Thread
So glad you're feeling a little better-- looks like it will be a perfect day for letterboxing!
Re: First day back out on the trail
Reply to: #809998 by brandicat
Oct 12, 2013 8:03pm
Thread
Glad to hear you're back out on the trail, E.N.!!!!! Hope your day was productive!!!

ASL Girl
Using Store Bought Stamps
Reply to: #810067 by ASL Girl
Oct 15, 2013 10:26am
Thread
Noticed that two of your five lb plants have store bought stamps which is encouraging to me being an inept carver who removed my first five novice plants due to newbie carving ineptness and questionable plant placements.

Recently found a few used stamps at a thrift store, but my lbox journey (having passed Intro to Lboxing 101) has left me with the distinct impression that all my lbox finds(108) to date are hand carved. What other lboxing qualities do you all think can makeup for/offset/redeem a lboxer that uses only store bought stamps.
Re: Using Store Bought Stamps
Reply to: #810573 by WayAOK
Oct 15, 2013 11:01am
Thread
Recently found a few used stamps at a thrift store, but my lbox journey (having passed Intro to Lboxing 101) has left me with the distinct impression that all my lbox finds(108) to date are hand carved. What other lboxing qualities do you all think can makeup for/offset/redeem a lboxer that uses only store bought stamps.

One other option is to request a handcarved stamp to hide (it's done all the time for events). There are plenty of letterboxers who will donate a stamp. I have requested several stamps for my area just to add a some variety. I think it's exciting to get another letterboxer's stamp image in my logbook, especially someone who lives somewhere I'm unlikely to visit. There's really no need to plant a store bought stamp when there's so many generous carvers out there.
Oct 15, 2013 5:09pm
Thread
Everyone's first carves are an adventure in learning. Please do not give up carving- there are many people here in MN who would be more than happy to offer some pointers. Our first boxes you found recently at the Oakdale nature center- we have greatly improved our carving skills since then.

Which material you choose to carve and a pair of cheater glasses may also help. We have changed carving material 3 times before we found one that works well for us- a suggestion from Dartmoor Dreamer when we first met.

Letterboxing is as much about the adventure as much it is the image we find.
-Sue
Oct 15, 2013 5:51pm
Thread
What other lboxing qualities do you all think can makeup for/offset/redeem a lboxer that uses only store bought stamps.

An interesting log book....very cool location...some interesting clues/journey, a clever hiding place or container.

We recently didn't find a box, but the location offset our disappointment. We had a gorgeous view of the bay.

One time we found a very simple carve, but the log book was quite clever! The stamp was of a train. The log book was long, and had tracks along the edge.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
Oct 15, 2013 7:43pm
Thread
Y'know, Skootch and I love hand carved stamps, no matter what the quality. We love the adventure, we love seeing what other people do for their art, and how they represent concepts.

TDS is right in that you need to experiment with carving medium until you find the one that works for you. I like the softer speedball medium, but Skootch likes the pink stuff. I'd have really gnarled hands if I had to carve anything harder than the soft speedball stuff, but he doesn't seem to mind. I know my stamps don't last long, but that's the beautiful, effervescent part of boxing, is that they do NOT last forever, and if you do find an old one, it's a true treasure (which is why I have so many misses to my f-count; I go for really old ones of questionable availability)!

I have found detailed stamps that are truly amazing, and I have found stamps that were probably made with a church key and a rotozip. All are precious pieces of art that someone loved enough to make happen.

Outside of that, a redeeming value piece is a really cool location that people would otherwise overlook. Many of our vacations were saved by boxing, and we have seen things that tourists never even think to look at. I now plan our vacations around what boxes we can find, and what's close to those boxes. And the wondrous things we have seen!

Everyone gets an A for effort here.
Oct 15, 2013 8:14pm
Thread
My feeling is, no matter if carved or not, it's the sentiment behind it. Maybe you want people to see the beautiful scenery, where you met someone special, spent so many years of your life, or words of wisdom. You shouldn't be judged for your decision to carve or not to carve. It sometimes takes years to get good at carving. I have several of my plants that are store bought. Primarily because I liked them and thought others would too. Your choice. Some boxers like the thrill of the hunt. some like the artwork. Some like the company. That's why Atlas Quest has the option to list if it is carved or not... It let's the boxer choice from there.
Oct 16, 2013 3:15am
Thread
If the store bought stamp is perfect for the location I'm fine with it.
If it's another gereric paw print, well, I already have six or so of the exact same paw print.
I don't think I need another one.
Now if I could get 100 cetipede paw/foot stamps from 100 different locations all having something to do with centipedes, I be a happy boxer.
Reply to: #810684 by Grrly Girl
Oct 16, 2013 5:22am
Thread
If it's another generic paw print, well, I already have six or so of the exact same paw print.

... or compass stamp ... hmmmm
Oct 16, 2013 6:35am
Thread
I always prefer a hand carved stamp to a store-bought one. I had the privilege of finding a couple of your boxes before they were pulled. The clues were well written, and your hand carved stamps were just fine - you don't need to be so hard on yourself. Everyone starts out as a newbie-just keep on carving and planting!
Reply to: #810642 by tie dye sue
Oct 16, 2013 6:43am
Thread
and a pair of cheater glasses may also help

Newb question! What are these?
I also have struggled with carving - though my better half is well suited for the task. Mine always come out very basic. Though I have improved, I'll take any help I can get!
Reply to: #810715 by lettersandscience
Oct 16, 2013 6:58am
Thread
Cheap reading glasses for magnification.

For me, strong light that I can aim in different directions, pre-stamping the stamp in light green ink (on pink stuff, best contrast), or yellow staz on ink BEFORE a pencil transfer, or after a laser or inkjet transfer, helps to see what I have carved.
Oct 16, 2013 7:08am
Thread
If you have a chance, I suggest looking through a book called, "making an impression, designing & Creating Artful stamps", by Geninne D Zlatkis. The stamps are simple enough, but have some interesting designs, and most are positive (mostly inked) carves. They are nature based, flowers, plants, birds, butterflies, and will give you some ideas you can use that take a simple stamp and make it special. I promise you, you can carve most of the ones in the book. You can use her ideas to change one of your carves into something bigger, or more interesting.

My mom got me the book, and probably from Joannes or Michaels, in their book section.
Reply to: #810714 by brandicat
Oct 16, 2013 9:55am
Thread
I always prefer a hand carved stamp to a store-bought one. I had the privilege of finding a couple of your boxes before they were pulled. The clues were well written, and your hand carved stamps were just fine - you don't need to be so hard on yourself. Everyone starts out as a newbie-just keep on carving and planting!

Thank you all for your very encouraging replies and helpful suggestions. My enjoyment comes from the hunt-journey, seeing the variety of creative logbooks, taking time to read all the entries and admiring the high level of expert artisan carvings. My short-sighted patience and lack of carving skill doesn't provide me with an enjoyable experience that many of you find rewarding. Also my aging(69) eyesight and perfectionist nature doesn't help even with the aid of my lamp magnifier and work bench that i use for radio-controlled model airplane builds, mods and repairs. Next year i may start all over again logging into the same 108+ a second time around as Frenchie.

My first exposure to lboxing, various carving mediums, digesting forum boards, Silent Doug's HH etiquette, etc, etc from 2005 to 2007 (was blown away by the lbox carves of: SheWhoPlants, The Red Cat and others, so i'm not a tru-blu newbie. Dartmoor Dreamer recently offered to carve a stamp or two for a "Lac de Bon Secours (2)" which i hope to plant next year so "Fleur" can hopefully stamp in as FF on her way up the Mississippi (and Lake Pepin) to next year's Get Together and again on her way back down on Wisconsin-side of Lac de Bon Secours near another 18th Century French fort site (Sioux trading post).

Until then Joyeux Chemins and Bon Secours
Frenchie (WayAOK)
Reply to: #810715 by lettersandscience
Oct 16, 2013 10:49am
Thread
I use a magnifying lense that I found at micheals in the needle point area. It clamps on the table and I carve while peering through it. Works great and my details have greatly improved.
You can get a pair of cheater glasses - magnifying glasses at walgreens that will do the same thing.
I have both but prefer the clamp on table type because when I look up at the Mom questions I don't need to take the glasses off.
TDS
Reply to: #810735 by WayAOK
Oct 16, 2013 5:24pm
Thread
I'm a lousy carver too, but put my effort into the history of the locale and try to make up a fun little story about it. Copying an image and trying to carve it are challenging enough for me. So needless to say, I have few plants. I was also blown away by SheWhoPlants when I started out too. Met her folks in Scandia finding her stamps at their shop. The Red Cat took me to Lake Pepin to a Little House on the Prairie box that has since gone away. But it was so cool when I started boxing, that I cried finding it!! Good luck...I feel your pain! BuncoQueen
Oct 16, 2013 6:22pm
Thread
Noticed that two of your five lb plants have store bought stamps which is encouraging to me being an inept carver who removed my first five novice plants due to newbie carving ineptness and questionable plant placements.

Don't replace your stamps with store bought stamps.... Carving is not highest skill by any means. But I still plant them. I look at it this way not every one can be on the top 50 %. :)
Reply to: #810664 by estella_naparella
Oct 16, 2013 6:25pm
Thread
{{I have found detailed stamps that are truly amazing, and I have found stamps that were probably made with a church key and a rotozip. All are precious pieces of art that someone loved enough to make happen.
}

I could not agree more!
Reply to: #810735 by WayAOK
Oct 16, 2013 6:35pm
Thread
Thank you all for your very encouraging replies and helpful suggestions. My enjoyment comes from the hunt-journey, seeing the variety of creative logbooks, taking time to read all the entries and admiring the high level of expert artisan carvings. My short-sighted patience and lack of carving skill doesn't provide me with an enjoyable experience that many of you find rewarding. Also my aging(69) eyesight and perfectionist nature doesn't help even with the aid of my lamp magnifier and work bench that i use for radio-controlled model airplane builds, mods and repairs. Next year i may start all over again logging into the same 108+ a second time around as Frenchie.

WayAOK
To each their own, I like all the carves I collect from the rustic to the highly refine carves. Some boxes I like just for the interesting clues or nice walk.
Reply to: #810698 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Oct 16, 2013 8:02pm
Thread
.. or compass stamp ...

If anything, that Compass Stamp is one of the famous things in Minnesota Letterboxing. I wouldn't be surprised if I run across one again in the future! ;-)

ASL Girl
Reply to: #810793 by BuncoQueen
Oct 17, 2013 8:20am
Thread
I was also blown away by SheWhoPlants when I started out too. Met her folks in Scandia finding her stamps at their [Countryside Arts] shop.The Red Cat took me to Lake Pepin to a Little House on the Prairie box that has since gone away. But it was so cool when I started boxing, that I cried finding it!! Good luck...I feel your pain!

"Laura in the Big Woods" by The Red Cat is still active. I was with "Midnight Pilot" (see her post) when she rehid Laura. Thought at the time it will take a determined lboxer to find it again as it was so well hidden. Even though i knew the general area to look (several months later) it was only with persistence that i was determined to search until convinced it was sadly missing or hopefully still there. I rehid it well, but in a way that it would be easier to find by the next lboxers.
Reply to: #810899 by WayAOK
Oct 17, 2013 8:35am
Thread
"Laura in the Big Woods" by The Red Cat is still active.

Yep, that one is still active! I actually just got a find report on October 14th! I'm honestly surprised that this one is still going - it was planted in 2006 and was one of the first faces that I ever carved.

And to add my two cents to this whole thing, I would honestly rather find a hand carved stamp than a store bought one - no matter the carving ability. I don't have the infamous compass stamp in my logbook that so many other area letterboxers have found repeatedly, but I do have the same store bought eagle stamp multiple times. One of the boxes that had the eagle stamp made sense since it was hidden near a college that had an eagle as its mascot and the name of the box and the clues dealt with the college. The other ones were just because the planter liked the stamp. I was disappointed when I opened up those boxes and found that same eagle!
Reply to: #810903 by The Red Cat
Oct 17, 2013 5:23pm
Thread
I don't have the infamous compass stamp in my logbook that so many other area letterboxers have found repeatedly, but I do have the same store bought eagle stamp multiple times. One of the boxes that had the eagle stamp made sense since it was hidden near a college that had an eagle as its mascot and the name of the box and the clues dealt with the college. The other ones were just because the planter liked the stamp. I was disappointed when I opened up those boxes and found that same eagle!

I'm guilty as charged having used that same beautific eagle stamp a few times as a newbie in 2005 for a signature stamp ... got the idea of stamping three consecutive times. The second and third imprint were gradually offset overlapping each other, becoming lighter and further behind the first solid imprint. It gave the effect of motion as if the Eagle was in flight as it came to rest on the page ... still got that stamp and gold stamp pad. Maybe as a Halloween prank i'll leave an impression of my flying golden eagle somewhere in a Kaposia Park lbox ... ;)
It really was pretty neat!

OK, i'm not the only one ... there's got to be many an interesting newbie 'store bought stamp' story to share (trick and treat time to tell).
P.S.: Now i feel like a newbie all over again ... having never run across "the infamous compass stamp."
Reply to: #810985 by WayAOK
Oct 17, 2013 7:11pm
Thread
We found the compass stamp twice in one day. :-(
Reply to: #810903 by The Red Cat
Oct 17, 2013 9:30pm
Thread
Yeah! Thanks...I'm so glad it is still out there as you did a great job on her. I have only seen that compass stamp in logbooks and have never found it either. A ton of folks do use it for their signature stamp though.
Reply to: #811010 by tie dye sue
Oct 18, 2013 9:08am
Thread
So did FoundUnicorn and I in the same series! The only difference between the two stamps was the color of ink provided! It was more of an LOL experience than a frustration for us.

ASL Girl
Reply to: #810664 by estella_naparella
Oct 19, 2013 2:56pm
Thread
First Place goes to estella_naparella with 6 agrees.

Second Place goes to SeerMeesh with 4 agrees and 1 hug.

Third Place goes to brandicat with 3 agrees.

Most Honorable Mention goes to Lone R from Ontario and MN "laughter factory" native tie dye sue ... both with 2 agrees.