About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Michigan

Anniversaries
Board: State: Michigan
Aug 13, 2019 5:34pm
Thread
Wow!! All these anniversaries today! Happy cake day Silver Eagle in Texas, TJ Mich, Plymouth Seekers, and BigRed!!
Re: Anniversaries
Reply to: #978333 by 4EyesMcGee
Aug 22, 2019 2:20pm
Thread
Thank you!
GLG 2016 Space Camp boxes
Sep 2, 2019 5:34pm
Maintenance was performed on the following boxes/series and clues have been updated so if you go to find them, make sure to have the updated cues.

Lakeview trail
Hickory Hills trail
Lowland trail
Bog trail
Pluto (gone)
Hocking Hills
Sep 7, 2019 5:38pm
Thread
Hi All! My Hubby and I are planning a trip to Hocking hills a week from now. Any "must find" boxes? Any other advice/suggestions/must see or do's welcomed. :)
Re: Hocking Hills
Reply to: #979247 by Perfect Pair
Sep 7, 2019 6:01pm
Thread
Good for you! I was there in March, 2016 and I just loved the hiking and the scenery. If I were you, I'd look for anything carved by Safari Man.

Another of my favorites was Off Trail by Pioneer Spirit. It was a great hike. I see I'm the last recorded finder, but I doubt that many people have looked for it.

Do you have a place to stay? Also, I remember when we went we had lunch in the lodge the day we got there, and it was good. We were there off-season, so it wasn't open the rest of the time, but I'd recommend it as a convenient, decent place to eat.
Reply to: #979248 by Dawnkey
Sep 7, 2019 8:16pm
Thread
It’s been a few years for us too. I remember there were LbNA boxes that we found so check both sites.
Reply to: #979248 by Dawnkey
Sep 7, 2019 9:51pm
Thread
The lodge had a fire & has been torn down! Re-build is scheduled for next year but there is a new visitors center & an astronomy park which is neat.
Reply to: #979250 by R gang
Sep 8, 2019 4:02am
Thread
The lodge had a fire & has been torn down!

Oh my goodness, I had no idea!
Reply to: #979256 by Dawnkey
Sep 8, 2019 7:09am
Thread
they were putting on a new roof-you can imagine the size of that job-when smoke was spotted coming from the roof area.by the time it was done & over with the whole top section had been engulfed?! never did hear the final verdict for the fire but did see the carnage afterwards!! devastating!
Sep 8, 2019 7:48am
Thread
There's rumored to be a Mapsurfer box in the area, but that's about as specific as I can get.
Sep 8, 2019 6:21pm
Thread
Hey there, Perfect Pair!

First of all, you will love Hocking Hills. I was there with StarGirl and our husbands in 2017 and had the best time. We didn't get nearly as many boxes as we had wished, so I'll share the ones we got that we enjoyed either the box or its location.

The Grotto - great location and carve (Conkle's Hollow)

Conkle's Hollow Lizard - great location and carve (Conkle's Hollow)

Singer and Call of the Wild - (Rock House) Only the second box is available, but this is a Safari Man letterbox; it's an iconic find.

The Goblin King - great location (Ash Cave)

Love, True Love - great location (Cantwell Cliffs)

Cabin in the Woods great location (Cantwell Cliffs) - I had to include this since I planted it while there; it really is the coolest location :).

Kinded Spirits great location (Old Man's Cave)

I hope you have glorious weather while you are there.
AW
Sep 11, 2019 6:44pm
Thread
Thank you everyone! We appreciate the tips!!
Reply to: #979393 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 6:59pm
Thread
Have such a good time.
Metro Parent
Sep 11, 2019 7:16pm
Thread
I just stumbled across this article online from March...just wondering if anyone else had seen it? it lists a few letterboxes from some familiar names :)

https://www.metroparent.com/daily/family-fun/family-activities/letterboxing-fun-for-families-in-southeast-michigan/
Re: Metro Parent
Reply to: #979395 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 7:25pm
Thread
That is a great article.
Congratulations NorseGnome on BOTW!
Sep 12, 2019 1:11pm
Hey all,

Did you see that our own NorseGnome got Box of the Week honors for Paradise Nature Trail ? It's a fabulous box and well-deserving of the honor.

Congratulations!
Reply to: #979395 by Perfect Pair
Sep 24, 2019 4:18pm
Thread
Ummmmmm except one of my boxes is listed and I do not want it listed!!!! I'm a little pissed off about that. Did they talk to some local boxers? I think they should have contacted planters.
Reply to: #979694 by BaliWho
Sep 24, 2019 5:30pm
Thread
I'd be a lot pissed.
Sep 24, 2019 6:43pm
Thread
There is a contact email at the bottom of the article and the writer's name is listed. Why don't you send an email to the writer explaining your point of view?
Sep 25, 2019 6:29am
Thread
I suppose, though, if you have your box restricted in any way (AQ members only, say), your clues won’t show.
Feeling slightly accomplished...
Oct 10, 2019 5:07am
Thread
So I've had this crazy goal of trying to get at least one letterbox planted in each of Michigan's counties. Yesterday, thanks to the incredibly beautiful weather, my wonderful letterboxing buddy, LaLaBirds, and I were able to head out for the day and get my last 2 counties planted in the lower peninsula!

Of course, that leaves 11 counties left in the UP, but that's for another year.

Happy hunting, everyone!
Re: Feeling slightly accomplished...
Reply to: #980187 by Angel Winks
Oct 10, 2019 6:21am
Thread
Congratulations and thank you!
Oct 10, 2019 6:35am
Thread
Congrats to AW for an awesome goal-reaching day!! Those 11 will get done yet..... :)
Oct 10, 2019 9:45am
Thread
Woot, woot, well done! Now you just need to update your map! :)
Oct 10, 2019 10:58am
Thread
Woot! Woot! Great job, that is an accomplishment... and a boon for the rest of us Michiganders! Thank you!
Oct 10, 2019 2:30pm
Thread
Yahoooo, congrats and best wishes on your quest!
Oct 10, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
Congratulations! I think I have 4 left for the lower peninsula.
It’s a Safari! Boxes Listed
Oct 13, 2019 9:34am
Thread
The It’s a Safari letterboxes from the 10/12/19 West Michigan Fall Gathering at Pigeon Creek Park are now listed so you can log your finds!

If you didn’t get to all boxes or were not able to make the gathering but are interested in finding the boxes, they will be available at least through the end of November, possibly longer. Clues, and associated puzzles, are available by request.

Somebody left a clipboard and a black logbook behind... I peeked inside but don’t see a name. If this belongs to you, please message me to make arrangements so I can get it back to you!

If you were not around when the results of the Chili Cook-off were announced, top honors went to MichKathy (entry C)! Congratulations MichKathy for your winning entry in the 1st Annual West Michigan LB Chili Cook-Off! The bar has been set and now we know who we need to beat next year! Thanks to all entrants for your participation... all were delicious!

Lastly, a huge thanks to everyone who attended the gathering and indulged my love of puzzle clues... I do realize it is a bit of mental work and not within everyone’s comfort zone, but thanks for your hard work and for being good sports... I hope you found the effort to be worthwhile!

We so enjoyed catching up with all of our old letterboxing friends and meeting new friends... and we look forward to doing it all again next fall (watch for that event listing soon)!

SpringChick and MIRockStar
Re: It’s a Safari! Boxes Listed
Reply to: #980243 by SpringChick
Oct 13, 2019 10:25am
Thread
Thank you, thank you, thank you for another wonderful fall gathering. Being a puzzle person, I love that twist, and I feel extra smart this week because of all the deep thinking I had to do :). I think that's one of the joys of letterboxing events...they all have unique twists and focus on different aspects of letterboxing.

The carves were amazing (at least the 2 trails of letterboxes I found) and I look forward to doing trail 3.

I made 5 new exchanges and was so happy to meet some newer letterboxers and some longtime letterboxers. So my circle of letterboxing friends continues to grow.

SpringChick and MIRockStar, it was a safari to remember. Well done. I will eagerly await next year's event posting so I reserve that date.
Re: It’s a Safari! Boxes Listed
Reply to: #980243 by SpringChick
Oct 13, 2019 7:17pm
Thread
It was a wonderful event, I had a great time thank you! Can’t wait for next year!!