A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Michigan

Re: Serial Killers in Saugatuck
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969612 by Familyof6
Dec 23, 2018 6:12pm
Thread
So I'm carving a stamp for the Saugatuck Trail in Connecticut -- the stamp actually says "Saugatuck Trail" and red ink will be recommended -- and my neck gets stiff from carving, so I pop online and check AQ and the first thing I see is "Serial Killers in Saugatuck." Mind blown.
Reply to: #969615 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 23, 2018 8:50pm
Thread
I think you need to come visit.
Reply to: #969615 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 24, 2018 4:58am
Thread
That is great. Sorry about the stiff neck, but I'm glad you shared.
Reply to: #969617 by MichKathy
Dec 24, 2018 5:59am
Thread
this is too funny - i live in saugatuck - michigan...
Reply to: #969617 by MichKathy
Dec 24, 2018 7:06am
Thread
Well now this is interesting. I didn't know there was a Saugatuck in Michigan, so I googled the name origin. Apparently a postmaster in Michigan was familiar with the name from Connecticut, and suggested it because it means "mouth of the river". The place names in Connecticut originated with an Paugussett Indian village located at the mouth of what is now called the Saugatuck River (that area at the mouth is still called Saugatuck, a neighborhood of Westport). Part of the Saugatuck River was dammed to create a large reservoir for drinking water, and that's where the Saugatuck Trail is. Nice little connection there.

http://navy.memorieshop.com/Saugatuck/Meaning.html
Reply to: #969624 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 25, 2018 4:34am
Thread
I live near Saugatuck
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Reply to: #969181 by Angel Winks
Dec 30, 2018 5:04pm
Thread
I just learned something new today about ranking letterboxes (from a fellow letterboxer in another state). Here is what she shared:

"You do know, don't you, that unless you give some 4s and a lot of 3s, and a smattering of 2s, and even an occasional 1, your rankings are not considered when AQ presents Blue Diamonds. You must have the "credentials" of reasonableness. I think you need to be an average judge."

So, I'm curious. How do you all decide what deserves a 5, 4, 3, 2, and a 1? Or do you avoid ranking altogether?
Reply to: #969783 by Angel Winks
Dec 30, 2018 5:46pm
Thread
So, I'm curious. How do you all decide what deserves a 5, 4, 3, 2, and a 1? Or do you avoid ranking altogether?

For me, if it's an average box, with average clues in an average place, it's a three. Wow me with a hike, location, view, clever clues, put some creativity/effort into it, 4-5.
If its a box thrown in the woods or behind a dumpster to get your P-count up, 1-2.

I rarely (if ever) give 1-2.
Dec 31, 2018 4:43am
Thread
Store bought stamp =1
Store bought stamp in a really great place or with a hand made logbook = 2
Hand carved stamp obviously just thrown together and "dumped" for a plant = 2
Hand carved stamp in average hide = 3
Hand carved stamp in average hide with hand made logbook = 4
Fabulous hand carved stamp and fabulous logbook in fabulous place = 5
This is my guideline but I think through each find to come up with my score for a box.
I do most 3's some 4's and a few 5's
Dec 31, 2018 6:36am
Thread
You can view your Rating Statistics:
https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/traditional/ratingstats.php

By giving some boxes a 1 or a 2, your not saying those are bad letterboxes. It's not a thumbs down. Just in terms of awesomeness, was it really awesome, great, good, fair, or just okay? I've found some that were just okay [honestly, I've found some that were actually somewhat disappointing. There, I said it.]
Dec 31, 2018 1:04pm
Thread
How do you all decide what deserves a 5, 4, 3, 2, and a 1?

This is an interesting question, and there are probably almost as many answers as there are letterboxers. When this was discussed on the boards several years ago, I remember one person saying something along the lines of she awarded 0 points or 1 point in each of 5 categories, something like hand-carved stamp, handmade logbook, good container, good clues, and interesting hike. She then tallied the points to arrive at her rating. My thought was, "wow, I don't do it like that at all."

My ratings are more subjective. I definitely will rate higher for hand-carved than store-bought, and I can't imagine ever giving a 5 to a store-bought stamp. But if the store-bought stamp has clever clues and at least ties in to the surroundings I'll rate it higher than I would otherwise. I'll also rank boxes that involve an experience higher than a drive-by. Again, I rarely will give a drive-by a 5 even if it's an amazing carve.

I see that currently my average rating is 3.16, with a distribution of 7% 5s, 24% 4s, 47% 3s, 21% 2s, and 1% 1s. I'll give a 3 to an average box. For a 4, the box has to have something special--a really good carve or creative clues or something. Fives are the remarkable boxes that bring everything together, the ones I'll always remember. A two would be a subpar box--not much effort went into it. Ones are rare, but I might give a one if I thought the box was placed where you might hurt yourself retrieving it (e.g. a lumber pile with exposed nails), or if it was just disappointing all the way around, like a random store-bought stamp placed behind a dumpster.
Reply to: #969181 by Angel Winks
Dec 31, 2018 5:33pm
Thread
Happy New Year, Michigan and followers of the Michigan Board!

I just put 3 grandchildren to bed after a night of playing and it's going to be an early night for me. No watching the ball drop at midnight.

However, I wanted to pass on what I've been reading about on the Letterbox Chatter board. I have to say that I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE if there were more letterboxes planted in Michigan! So who is up for the challenge of getting 10 boxes planted by April 30? Of course, you could be an overachiever and try for 50...

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Angel Winks
*who loves letterboxing in Michigan

"Nov 17, 2018: Power Plant Challenge
Calling all letterboxers: It's time to plant more boxes!

On the looooong ride back from L&B, fellow boxers and I were discussing the future of letterboxing in North Carolina and decided:
1. We want to be able to find more letterboxes in NC
and
2. Newer letterboxers would be attracted to letterboxing if they don't strike out on their first few searches due to older MIA boxes

Therefore - we have created a Power Plant challenge! We challenge all letterboxers to plant 10 traditional boxes in the next six months. Imagine - if even 10 boxers accepted the challenge - that would be 100 new boxes. If 40 boxers did it, 400 new boxes in the state for everyone to enjoy! Even if planting is not your favorite part of letterboxing - the only way to get new boxes (and boxers) is to plant - so let's all plant together!

~ Of course, there are prizes ~
Participants who plant at least ten traditional permanent plants between Nov. 1 and April 30 will receive a Power Planter Patch.
Participants who plant at least 50 traditional permanent plants between Nov. 1 and April 30 will receive a Power Planter Path tag.
There will be special recognition and a grand prize (TBD) for the participant who plants the most traditional permanent plants during this six month period.

~ Quality is important ~
While this is a planting challenge, it's important to still think through your permanent plant - don't just toss boxes out and hope for the best. Plant boxes in locations you would be able to check on, are safe from muggle meddling, and will hopefully be around for quite a while. Drive by, long hike, easy clue, challenging puzzle - and all shapes and sizes of letterboxes in between - those details are up to you. You could do a series or individual boxes. Since the goal is to increase our permanent plants in the state, these boxes should be permanent, not temporary or just for events.

~ Other details: boxers and boxes everwhere are welcome!
Anyone can participate - even boxers in other states
You can plant anywhere - even other states (letterboxing while traveling is a grand adventure)!

~ OK - you're IN - how to participate:
1. Send me an AQ message to let me know you want to participate! You can contact me at any time during our six month challenge.
2. Plant at least ten boxes (or way more) over the next six months (Nov. 1 through April 30, 2019).
3. We will recognize all participants at the big GeekFest event in Raleigh at the start of May. You do not need to be present to participate (but we know you want to come to this huge event). We will share all the participants who qualify for the patch and pathtag, and announce the grand prize winner. If you are not able to attend GeekFest, we will send you your patch/path tag through snailmail.

Let me know if you have any questions, and plant on, NC! (Super Hedge Hoggie)

Power Plant Challenge brought to you by:
Airstream Dreams
Bluebird
Mouse Nanny
Sudoku Crazy
Super Hedge Hoggie"
Reply to: #969832 by Angel Winks
Jan 1, 2019 10:43am
Thread
I saw this and thought it'd be a great idea! 10 may be a stretch by April, but I'll think about it! I have ideas of boxes to carve, but limited ideas of places to plant! Ack!
Reply to: #969832 by Angel Winks
Jan 4, 2019 1:20am
Thread
I was looking at that when SuperHedgeHoggie posted about it.

I'm tempted, but haven't really had the energy to carve or plant. Haven't planted or carved in well over a year. Heck, I have three or four stamps carved for your area since 2012, since before moving to North Carolina, but haven't ever gotten around to figuring out a place for them.
Although, it looks like Nic wants to go that way for his 40th in a couple of months to show me his individual tour of GR when he lived there in 2015/16. Don't know if there will be any letterboxing on that trip, but a week later will be my 10 year anniversary as a letterboxer.
Happy New Year, Happy New Meh - Missing Logbook
Jan 4, 2019 2:42am
Thread
Happy New Year. Hope the New Year and holidays treated everyone okay.

I'm still here and still logging on here. Maybe not with the same frequency as say four years ago or eight years ago, but still here and looking.

One of the reasons I have been a little more recently inactive is that my logbook, the one used at the Fall event, Popo's event, a NC event, and that event last winter disappeared. I bought a new one right before going to Texas for Live and Breathe. Nic and I cleaned out my car in the middle of November, and the logbook wasn't found. There were stamps in it that I hadn't gotten around to recording yet. It has crushed me.

Also, I've just have been still rather depressed. Meh.

Nic has been great. He's like the Felix to my Oscar. He cleans and cooks. Although, I am a bit of a germaphobe and he isn't. Nic is optimistic in some ways and has survived some things that others cannot. He has some health concerns and some other issues that are a bit of a new challenge for me in this past year. The past two weeks have been tough between the health issues and the other concerns.

Anyway, still here. Still planning on going to the upcoming winter event. Planning on going to Geek Fest in NC. Not sure if I will make it to the Sagatuck one. The plan is to take a longer trip to North Carolina as Nic has never been to the ocean and isn't sure if he can handle the long car ride.

Again, I am here, but just a little inactive over my missing logbook and depression.
Re: Happy New Year, Happy New Meh - Missing Logbook
Reply to: #969977 by koalacat
Jan 4, 2019 4:17am
Thread
Hugs to you, koalacat. Take care of yourself.
Jan 4, 2019 7:34am
Thread
We all struggle through different things. I believe that you will find that logbook and the fog that’s covering you right now will be lifted. I still want to make it over to you so we can go boxing!!!

Hugs to you!!
4eyes
Having issues herself
Reply to: #969980 by 4EyesMcGee
Jan 4, 2019 6:34pm
Thread
Not sure if that logbook will be found. It isn't in my car or my apartment. Thank you. Hope things are getting better for you. Would definitely like to go find some letterboxes with you.
Reply to: #969978 by Angel Winks
Jan 4, 2019 6:36pm
Thread
Thank you!
Jan 4, 2019 8:51pm
Thread
Hang in there, koalacat! I'm sorry to hear about the missing logbook, and I hope it somehow turns up. We're definitely looking forward to seeing you at Winter Fest.
Jan 5, 2019 1:13am
Thread
May I pray for you please? Lord, touch this couple in body and spirit and give them strength and assurance. Let them know you are with them. In Jesus name, amen.
Found Logbook - Re: Happy New Year
Jan 19, 2019 8:54am
Thread
For those not on the Great Lakes Facebook Group, my logbook was found. I left it at the Fall Michigan event. Mrs. Doglvrs posted some pictures of the missing logbook on the group last weekend and Dawnkey tagged me. It came in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much!

One of the pictures she posted was a glued image of a stamp found last February in North Carolina. I remembered that I had forgotten my logbook at a cemetery and had to return after getting that stamp to retrieve my logbook. Poor logbook. I kept leaving it behind last year.
Reply to: #970437 by koalacat
Jan 19, 2019 10:17am
Thread
Yeah! I'm glad you got it back! You need to tie one of those extendable key chain doohickeys to it and attach it to you so you can't leave it behind.
Jan 19, 2019 10:30am
Thread
Love this! And we'll make sure you have your logbook with you when you leave Winter Fest. :)
Jan 19, 2019 10:54am
Thread
Yay, koalacat! Maybe this will help with giving you back the desire to get out there again. And, way to go, Mrs. Doglvrs.

See you at Winter Fest!
Jan 19, 2019 12:21pm
Thread
So HAPPY you found your logbook. I can't even imagine how lost you felt without it.
Jan 20, 2019 10:45am
Thread
Woohoo!! See - I knew you would find it!!
Reply to: #970441 by BaliWho
Jan 20, 2019 12:12pm
Thread
LOL! Not sure if my key chain has room for that.
Reply to: #970443 by Dawnkey
Jan 20, 2019 12:13pm
Thread
Thanks for tagging me and one in advance for looking out for it at the next event.
Reply to: #970444 by Angel Winks
Jan 20, 2019 12:16pm
Thread
Maybe. I did find one of my Old School letterboxes that still needs to be planted.