A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Massachusetts

How 'bout those Sox?
Board: State: Massachusetts
Oct 30, 2013 8:55pm
Thread

2013 WORLD CHAMPS!!!

............... I like the sound of that! ;o)
Pete
Re: How 'bout those Sox?
Reply to: #813208 by The Merry Pranksters
Oct 30, 2013 10:20pm
Thread
Yep, we loved it.

Doublesaj and Old Blue
Temporary Red Sox fans... cause our Giants sucked
Oct 31, 2013 4:13am
Thread
Heck yeah!!!
Oct 31, 2013 5:17pm
Thread
With eight recent championships and only seven days a week, now I'll have to decide which tee shirt sits out for the week.

What to wear, what to wear . . . .
Lighthouses
Nov 4, 2013 11:14am
Thread
The Lucius Beebe library in Wakefield is having a presentation about New England lighthouses this week. Wednesday, November 13th, at 7 pm. Locals should consider stopping by for a little history, a little conversation... and maybe a Prankster plant while you're at it!

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=205582
Re: Lighthouses
Reply to: #814067 by heartsquare
Nov 4, 2013 3:34pm
Thread
I meant to say next week, sorry. Here it's a link that has more info about the event:
http://www.wakefieldlibrary.org/uncategorized/lighthouses/

(I am in no way affiliated with the event or the library. I just keep seeing the signs advertising it, and they remind me of a marvelous box I once found...)
My nephew is coming to Massachusetts - Help
Nov 14, 2013 10:00am
Thread
My nephew will be working at GE Aviation in Lynn, MA, short-term co-op work experience, this coming January through April (I think). My sister just called and is trying to figure out where he will live. He is an engineering student at the University of Cincinnati and he is also a member of the men's swim team. He intends to keep up the swimming so he will need to find a natatorium nearby.

Looking at the map, it looks like Saugus, Revere, Melrose and Malden and Lynn may be options. I don't know. He doesn't have any idea if one area is safer than another, whether he will need a car (I already warned "Mom" there WILL be snow) and what rents will be. He may find another student to share rent.

We are all ears for recommendations. Please feel free to email me off-list.

~speedsquare

PS - maybe I can convince my sister we need to take a road trip in the spring. Breakheart is on my hit list, along with many other spots.
Re: My nephew is coming to Massachusetts - Help
Reply to: #815707 by speedsquare
Nov 14, 2013 10:47am
Thread
I live in Salem, which is next to Lynn. Lynn isnt the safest place, but there are some nice sections. Some people really love it. Rent will be cheaper in lynn. Melrose is a nice safe, quaint town, but rent will be higher. Personally, I love Salem, it has a ton of character! I grew up in Malden and I know a lot of people who live there. It's a little closer to the city and probably easier/cheaper than Melrose. Have you tried Swampscott? It is a nice safe community just north of Lynn. There are busses everywhere, but they are not so often everywhere. check mtba.com - check out the commuter rail too. There is one in Lynn, Swampscott, and Salem, and they are fairly often during the week. It depends on how close to everything he is, whether he needs a car. Check that site. I have a car, but I only use it to pick up my son and go shopping. To go to work, I walk to the station. And finding another student to rent with is a GREAT idea! That would probably be ideal. Let me know if you have any other questions about the North Shore!
Nov 14, 2013 10:48am
Thread
Oh, and there are some really great stamps in Lynn Woods as well as Breakheart :)
Nov 14, 2013 1:46pm
Thread
It would be easier if he had a car! I just tried to look it up on mbta.com. There is a bus that goes right by... # 450... but it would probably be hard to find an apartment within easy access of the bus line. Of all the towns you listed, Malden has the most access to public transportation.... but even from there, you would have to take the subway into downtown Boston & then a bus back out!

I live in Malden, because I didn't drive when we bought our house... but I do now! :)

Of all the towns you listed, Melrose is probably the nicest... but maybe least accessible & affordable. The others all have good & bad neighborhoods.

Cambridge & Somerville have a ton of college students and recent grads, so there are always apartments available... plus it might be fun for him to live around similarly aged people! Plus nightlife, etc. Might be worth looking into. That might also be his best bet for renting a room, rather than a whole apartment.

I actually know someone that works at that GE location! But he is married with kids & lives out in the 'burbs... I don't think he'd be very helpful!
Reply to: #815749 by heartsquare
Nov 14, 2013 1:56pm
Thread
I also meant too say... try craigslist for housing.
Nov 14, 2013 2:24pm
Thread
Lynn, Lynn the city of sin
You never come out, the way you came in

You ask for water, but they give you gin
The girls say no, yet they always give in

If your not bad, they won't let you in
It's the damndest city I've ever lived in

Lynn, Lynn the city of sin
You never come out, the way you came in.
Reply to: #815759 by Miss Creant
Nov 14, 2013 6:43pm
Thread
Okay, that's just great! Thank you to everyone who replied here and off list. I am going to cut and paste your responses to my sister.

My nephew is 20 (and won't be 21 until after his coop experience is done). He is a pretty disciplined student and athlete. He does have access to a car, but I don't know if the parents really want him to take it. But safety is a top priority in housing. Just this morning my 13-yr old niece did not have school due to a bomb threat in her large middle school. Nephew is the first-born, so this is a new experience for all. Sounds like it would be a hassle not to have a car, especially if he is trying to work and swim.

I hope he can find a 4-month lease somewhere. I don't think I'll suggest CL today, given the edge Mom is on. I will keep you posted, and respond privately to those who contacted me directly.

~speedsquare

And I am sharing the little ditty!
Nov 14, 2013 6:54pm
Thread
I believe Lundy and Vickster have a box for that!
Reply to: #815812 by speedsquare
Nov 15, 2013 5:54am
Thread
Hopefully GE will give him some guidance. 4 months is tough!! It would be much easier for him to find a place to sublet in the summer.

And yes, road trip!!! Definitely. You could stay for a week, and still only find a small percentage of the boxes in the area!!
Nov 15, 2013 5:58am
Thread
Back in undergrad, my BF did the very same internship/co-op. His info might be a little outdated (it was over 5 years ago), but I can ask him if he has specific advice regarding what he remembers about the living situation, after work life, etc. His might be a different perspective than most because he'll know more about the constraints of the internship (how much free time is possible, where most of the other interns live, etc).

I'll let you know as soon as I can.

- Kham
Reply to: #815853 by Khameleon
Nov 15, 2013 2:51pm
Thread
Thanks. I will call my sister and see if nephew is getting GE advice.
Reply to: #815921 by speedsquare
Nov 15, 2013 3:10pm
Thread
You have AQmail ;)
Blaze orange, revisited
Nov 17, 2013 6:58am
Thread
I posted something similar on FB yesterday but thought it might be of interest here, too.

Yesterday, Southpaw and I did a great hike at Wachusett Mountain State Reservation. We passed probably 75 other hikers along the 6-mile route. We saw one human and one dog wearing blaze orange, even though the DCR web page clearly states that hunting is allowed here.

One hiking group in particular was loudly snickering about our blaze orange clothing, so we told them that it's hunting season. One guy said "no, it ain't" and tried to tell us that the hunters we'd seen elsewhere were just scouting out hunting locations. (The ones I saw were crouched in the woods with their bows.) A woman in that group tried to smooth things over with us by telling us that we looked "just fine" in our blaze orange. Um, thanks?

Another hiker we met thought that hunting wasn't permitted in state forests/parks.

We passed a few people wearing WHITE clothing, which isn't a great idea if you think about what part of a deer you're most likely to see!

We were really dismayed by how few hikers had a basic understanding of hunting season. Granted, this particular area is very busy and not a great place to hunt, but we saw people on some of the more isolated trails, too.

It was definitely an eye-opening day!
Re: Blaze orange, revisited
Reply to: #816052 by Rocklun
Nov 17, 2013 7:38am
Thread
I don't even own Orange. I only hike in places where no hunting is allowed.
I know people who have been shot (yes, hit) while wearing Orange. Drunk hunters.
Reply to: #816060 by RIclimber
Nov 17, 2013 7:50am
Thread
I don't even own Orange. I only hike in places where no hunting is allowed.
I know people who have been shot (yes, hit) while wearing Orange. Drunk hunters.

Two reasons why I wear blaze orange no matter where I hike during hunting season:

1. If someone is dumb enough to get drunk while they're hunting, they're probably dumb enough to hunt in places where no hunting is permitted. (Less competition!)

2. Areas that don't permit hunting often abut areas that DO permit hunting, so it would be easy for a hunter to accidentally cross into the protected areas.

My blaze orange vest isn't made of Kevlar, but it's a lot better than nothing.
Reply to: #816063 by Rocklun
Nov 17, 2013 7:59am
Thread
but it's a lot better than nothing

ummm.... maybe ;-)
Reply to: #816065 by Lundy and Vickster
Nov 17, 2013 8:04am
Thread
but it's a lot better than nothing

ummm.... maybe ;-)

Larry, since hunters don't carry eye bleach, "nothing" is probably a dangerous option... ;^)
Reply to: #816052 by Rocklun
Nov 17, 2013 10:26am
Thread
We are very grateful for your reminders. When we were new we really didn't think about it because we don't hunt or know anyone who does.
Nov 18, 2013 11:32am
Thread
I've only ever heard the first line of that poem. Interesting to finally read the rest!

IrishInks
Re: Halloween at SVT's "Pumpkin Patch", Sudbury, MA
Reply to: #816537 by Arf!
Nov 20, 2013 8:26am
Actually I may pull them on Friday night because I will bring them down to NoSox at her gathering for her to use next year!
Soup's On
Nov 24, 2013 5:26am
Thread
Thank you once again to nosox and all her family members for hosting Soup's On. What a great event. The carves are amazing. The clues are great. And the hospitality is the best.
Re: Soup's On
Reply to: #817035 by Geekette
Nov 24, 2013 5:41am
Thread
Here, here! I second that! Thank you to nosox and bossman for hosting a fun-filled afternoon and evening spectacular! It was the first time I night boxed in the snow! All the stamps were beautiful and artfully presented using clever, creative clues! Thanks, too, to all the chefs...the soups were varied and delicious...and the desserts yummy!
Nov 24, 2013 6:14am
Thread
Thank you so much for opening your home for the event. You are so brave to do that, I would have been meeting everyone at the door to take of their shoes and running around putting coasters under everyone's cup.

This was our first Soup-on Event we loved it and plan to attend next year.
Nov 24, 2013 6:29am
Thread
I didn't get a chance to attend the event but I did the boxes at Mt Holyoke Range State Park. The area is first rate and the hike was excellent. The hike took us about 8 miles over 5 1/2 hours. The Horse caves were very interesting but the views from Rattlesnake Knob and Mt Norwottuck were spectacular! The stamps at the top weren't half bad either. I see another Massachusetts purple diamond in the future.

Larry