A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Maine

Re: Tis the Season
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #980032 by Teacup
Oct 4, 2019 5:18am
Thread
Thank you for the reminder Teacup. With everything that is going on, I had totally forgotten. Adding "10mile" orange to my backpack supplies. ;)
Reply to: #980039 by Tri-Colored Paws
Oct 4, 2019 5:46am
Thread
The season came up on me quickly. Didn't remember until yesterday I saw a notice as I was entering a trail. Orange is now packed and ready to go along with fresh flashlight batteries. Dark comes quickly when you are having fun in the woods this time of year.
New Maniac!!!
Oct 4, 2019 8:44am
Thread
Just bought my dream retirement property in Maine. So excited! Am coming up Saturday to hand over the check, get forestry plans started, box, and hike my land. (When I viewed the property in August, I slipped in moose poop, had a bald eagle fly overhead, and was serenaded by loons, whoo-hooo!)

Need advice please. I saw the hunting season post and assume there will be hunters on the property. Have my orange fleece but husband has neon green - is that acceptable? We will get caps in closest town, Jackman (Somerset Co.) upon arrival.

Have been watching the weather forecast but it is all over the place. I'm thinking jeans, long sleeve tees/turtle necks, and fleeces for property, adding wind breakers for Georgetown (lobstah!) on Sunday. Sound good?

Who said getting old was ick? Going to be living in the forest, back in New England, and back in a great LBing area - dreams coming true!!
Reply to: #980034 by AlishaMisha
Oct 4, 2019 9:35am
Thread
Tick season is year-round with no bag limit!
Reply to: #980042 by Teacup
Oct 4, 2019 9:37am
Thread
The season came up on me quickly. Didn't remember until yesterday I saw a notice as I was entering a trail.

"Orange Season" in MA starts in just over a week. It started in RI over a month ago. Makes it very confusing for those who live on the border!
Reply to: #980032 by Teacup
Oct 4, 2019 11:07am
Thread
One time in Connecticut I pulled into a parking lot full of big ole pick up trucks and guys with guns and in camo. I just turned around and left. There wasnโ€™t enough orange in the world to make go on those trails! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Re: New Maniac!!!
Reply to: #980048 by foxfriend
Oct 4, 2019 11:12am
Thread
Need advice please. I saw the hunting season post and assume there will be hunters on the property

This is your private land? I am no expert but canโ€™t you post no hunting on private property?

And I would think size of the land is a factor in safety if hunting is nearby on public land.
Reply to: #980055 by MissMoon
Oct 4, 2019 11:17am
Thread
This is your private land? I am no expert but canโ€™t you post no hunting on private property?

Yeah, but the kinds of hunters that hunt on "no hunting" posted land are EXACTLY the types you have to Orange-Up against...
Reply to: #980055 by MissMoon
Oct 4, 2019 11:53am
Thread
I'm no expert either but I haven't had the right to post yet. And then I am told there is a lot of issues to consider before posting so....
Oct 4, 2019 11:57am
Thread
Welcome to the Maine Madness!

To for warn you .. Lookout for Teacup on the trails... She will scare the pants off you with her friendly "Hi"...

Ray and Susan
Happydaze
Oct 4, 2019 3:31pm
Thread
Congrats on your purchase of a piece of this great State! Plenty of outdoors activities to pursue as you are likely aware of and appears you have goals as referenced forestry plans. Please do your research carefully as there are many restrictions if you place land in a "tree growth" status. If in the future you wanted to gift land to family members to build upon there are monetary penalties to change the use.

Here in Maine the only accepted safety clothing is orange if hunting, high glow green is visible, orange is the norm. Bishops store in Jackman will have what you need.

You are right to assume there may be hunters out and about, perhaps previous owners allowed it. Approximately 94% of the land in Maine is privately owned but utilized by many. Please research the Maine Department Inland Fisheries Wildlife (MDIFW) Landowner Relations Program before posting your land. They work with landowners in regards to posting property, ensuring safety zones,proper signage, etc. The number is 207-287-8000, ask for the above department.

Dress in layers like an onion, peel layers off as needed. Low temperatures in Jackman for Saturday 32, high of 50ish. It is a beautiful area, enjoy.
Oct 5, 2019 4:45am
Thread
Welcome 'home'!

Sounds like you are starting on a great adventure up north. Lots of hoops to jump through as you move forward deciding how you will utilize your land. Is there a home structure on your property already or are you starting from scratch? Hope you keep us posted as some of us live vicariously through others. ;)

30 degrees this morning along the coast and past peak for foliage up your way according to the forecasters of such things. Wear layers and deet for warmth and protection. Ticks aren't as bad up north as they are here along the coast at least according to the people who keep track of that sort of nasty detail.

Be safe and enjoy your retirement surroundings. Hope to meet you on the trails. Jackman is a long way from the coast of Maine but if you plant, we will come.

tea
Oct 5, 2019 4:59am
Thread
It'll be good to have another boxer in the Great White Maine North (ya know, what the majority of people call anything above Augusta on the map) ...

;)
Oct 5, 2019 5:51am
Thread
Welcome to the pine tree state!

Maine: Where Mother Nature can make it thunder/snow/rain/and sunshine at the same time ๐Ÿ˜‚.

This is a beautiful state year round. Lots of sights to see everywhere and activities all year long. Enjoy your new special place and have fun. Thereโ€™s a reason they say: Maine, the way life should be. ๐Ÿ˜
So proud!
Oct 5, 2019 12:13pm
Thread
Alas, our daughter and her family are attending their very first LBing event today in Ontario. Without us! Text messages received say they are having a very good time and have even teamed up with a lovely couple from New York! They have always tagged along with us while out and about the trails in Ontario, and now they're on their own! Only wish we were there!
A. T.
Re: So proud!
Reply to: #980079 by angel treads
Oct 5, 2019 1:38pm
Thread
It's just like going to a new school for the first time but even better. ... she's with letterboxers.
Oct 5, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
They have always tagged along with us while out and about the trails in Ontario, and now they're on their own! Only wish we were there!

I believe what you are experiencing is ESPORS or Empty Suspicious Pile of Rock Syndrome!
Oct 5, 2019 2:40pm
Thread
oh, mixed blessing there. You have trained them well in the mechanics of the hobby and they are flexing their wings. Do hope they enjoy themselves even as mom and dad sit at home.
Oct 5, 2019 3:35pm
Thread
Always nice to see our children spread their wings and do that first solo flight!! No worries A.T., you have taught them well. Perhaps with more free time in the future you may be able to join them!!
DT54
Reply to: #980090 by Daytrippers 54
Oct 5, 2019 3:51pm
Thread
That's the plan! :)
Reply to: #980091 by angel treads
Oct 5, 2019 3:52pm
Thread
Imagine that :-)
Oct 10, 2019 9:28pm
Thread
Welcome!!! You went right through my town to get to Georgetown. I am guessing you went to Five Islands Lobster? Good place! I was off at a wedding that day, but if I knew ahead of time I would have quickly made up a stamp for you to get or something. Hope you make it to the coast again! There are several of us in the area. I can count at least 6 within 15 min of my home!
Updated clues.
Oct 11, 2019 5:56am
Updated clues to Lovey. Didnโ€™t realize I never put in a location. Sorry about that ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ. Anyone who has this box printed or saved, might want to reprint.
Happy seeking ๐Ÿ˜
Happy Boxing! :)
Oct 13, 2019 6:52am
Thread
Look who has a pretty new hat! Miss Damselfly is now an official AQ member! Enjoy all the new perks. :D
Re: Happy Boxing! :)
Reply to: #980240 by Tri-Colored Paws
Oct 13, 2019 7:11am
Thread
Thank you!
I get to celebrate not one but two birthdays in one day ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‚
Re: Happy Boxing! :)
Reply to: #980241 by Damselfly
Oct 13, 2019 11:10am
Thread
Spiffy chapeau! Can't wait to get back to your neighborhood!
Letterboxers Christmas Event
Oct 15, 2019 9:27am
Thread
Hey everyone!

Less than month to go for the event! We have some great new raffles, we have a bunch of different things this year that we have never had before. If you would like to donate feel free to bring something,just let us know in advance to we can make sure we have enough buckets. As always we are looking for new unwrapped toys for infants and children up to 18years old
Re: Letterboxers Christmas Event
Reply to: #980304 by Happy Daze
Oct 15, 2019 10:23am
Thread
Don't forget about the Sock Swap, too!
Reply to: #980306 by SherlockMiles
Oct 16, 2019 6:04am
Thread
Don't forget about the Sock Swap, too!

Christmas socks by the mantel or sox that you wear on your feet?
Reply to: #980348 by Tri-Colored Paws
Oct 16, 2019 6:49am
Thread
On your feet