A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Maine

Re: Letterboxing clue notebook
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #978709 by Jiffy
Aug 24, 2019 4:23am
Thread
Thank you everyone for your responses on a notebook. I think your ideas will get me past my organizing block that is keeping me from being efficient.

I love the idea of county, town and then hike. I already use my phone and computer when I can. I will also try to set up new searches on AQ by "area" and see what happens.

Happy Boxing everyone!
Bela box
Aug 24, 2019 12:51pm
Has anyone found the 'Bela' box by Maine Kokapellian in the Smith Cemetery in Windham. Please contact me privately.
Happy Cake Day, HappyDaze!!
Aug 26, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
Wow! 13 years!!! Here's to many more.

JiffyRacer
Re: Happy Cake Day, HappyDaze!!
Reply to: #978817 by Jiffy
Aug 26, 2019 1:17pm
Thread
Happy Cake Daze! ;)
Aug 26, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
Happy AQversary to you both !!🎇
Aug 26, 2019 5:10pm
Thread
Happy AQ cake day to you both! **hugs**
Aug 26, 2019 5:13pm
Thread
Happy Days and many more boxing!
Aug 26, 2019 6:06pm
Thread
Yes! Happy AQversary to you both. Go for another 13, too! A.T.
Aug 27, 2019 2:54am
Thread
Wishing you both happy trails full off pretty colored ink! But no snow! Happy cake day!!
Reply to: #978839 by mudflinginfools
Aug 28, 2019 7:39am
Thread
Thanks everybody!

Ray and Susan
Carving tips
Aug 30, 2019 5:17am
Thread
The carving bug has bit this damselfly😉.
However I am stuck on doing eyes. Dots aren’t cutting it. Any pointers on making small eyes on characters or tools that might help other then normal blades would be much appreciated 😁
Re: Carving tips
Reply to: #978918 by Damselfly
Aug 30, 2019 6:10am
Thread
for starters, the transfer is absolutely critical ... (I use wintergreen oil, and the copier at my library, which I'll miss when I move next month). I've built up a small quiver of objects (needles for tiny holes, soccerball pins for holes with a center, bristle brush for beards, etc) which I find useful when rendering faces. I always carve the hardest part first (usually the eyes) so that if I mess up, I haven't lost alot of work.

my $.02
Reply to: #978921 by Damselfly
Aug 30, 2019 11:27am
Thread
first you need a printer which will transfer images well.
Here's a few: https://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/search.php?search=printer#q270
but I'm sure there are others.... I've found the Staples printers suck, but one of my printers at work is great, so YMMV.

Using a clean piece of cloth, I usually pre-scrub the surface with acetone and let dry.
Then with another piece of cloth, I apply a thin layer of wintergreen oil to the surface. With the image cut to size, I carefully place face down on the surface. Using the second piece of cloth, I dab (not rub) wintergreen oil gently onto the blank side of the paper (facing up). When the paper is fully saturated with oil, I usually give it a minute or two, then *gently* lift the paper up. I let it dry overnight, apply Stazeon the next morning, then that night I'm ready to carve.

good luck!
Reply to: #978918 by Damselfly
Aug 30, 2019 8:07pm
Thread
Sometimes moving the rubber instead of the tool can really help.

Also, if you are having trouble seeing what the result is - I use a dryish firm marker to colour over the part I've carved (not a super juicy one, to avoid the ink leaking over into your cuts) so you can see clearly where you've cut.
Reply to: #978958 by coldsnap
Aug 31, 2019 4:54am
Thread
Also, if you are having trouble seeing what the result is - I use a dryish firm marker to colour over the part I've carved (not a super juicy one, to avoid the ink leaking over into your cuts) so you can see clearly where you've cut.

A lot of carvers, including me, apply a coating of mustard colored Stazon pigment ink after a transfer has been applied to the rubber prior to carving. The yellow ink makes it much easier to see your cuts throughout the entire carving process and also prevents the transferred image from smearing.
Reply to: #978962 by Janila
Aug 31, 2019 5:24am
Thread
A lot of carvers, including me, apply a coating of mustard colored Stazon pigment ink

Me, too! Me, too! *jumps up and downs waving*

TCP
PS, so did Damselfly. She's doing a great job! Wait till you see. :D
Aug 31, 2019 9:42am
Thread
Good point. I almost always pivot the rubber and seldom move the tool (much).
Aug 31, 2019 6:34pm
Thread
Sometimes moving the rubber instead of the tool can really help.

Essential for me. For tiny dots and eyes, I place the tip of a #11 exacto into the medium and spin the rubber below it. Works beautifully.

Also as mentioned, the yellow ink helps tremendously.
Maine Sculpture Trail
Sep 2, 2019 11:31am
Thread
ATVRacer and I did a marathon of the Maine Sculpture trail this weekend. We were able to do it in two days: Day 1 - Bucksport>Jonesport; Day 2 - Roque Bluffs>Bangor. We overnighted in Jonesboro. 33 out of 34 stamps found. Our advice, be diligent and patient, just when your about to give up check again and make your search a little bit wider or deeper as the case may be. Use your hands!!! You need to be able to feel for the pouches. Get on your hands and knees if you need to!

Thanks for a fantastic trip and weekend AT!

JIffy
Re: Maine Sculpture Trail
Reply to: #979081 by Jiffy
Sep 2, 2019 1:14pm
Thread
We're glad you enjoyed yourselves, which is what the whole trail is about! Enjoying the scenery, the sculptures, good conversation, and travelling through parts of our state that we don't always get to see very often! Yes, as Jiffy said, be diligent in your search. If anyone is planning the Trail in the near future, let us know. We have a stamp in Eastport that needs replanting it sounds like!
A.T.
Reply to: #979083 by angel treads
Sep 2, 2019 2:35pm
Thread
Trying to talk my NBS to taking me east. Since I have already been east this summer, he says my boxing friends need to coordinate their plants for one stop shopping. LOL!!
Reply to: #979081 by Jiffy
Sep 3, 2019 12:18am
Thread
Sorry we weren’t available for the phone a friend. We found Eastport, but it was not easy. We almost gave up. Your advice is spot on. The pouch had slide wayyyyy down and we ended up having to poke it through and have a second person grab it from the back. We put it back more gently, but I wonder if it rained and slide the pouch further back? So sorry this was the one you couldn’t get.
Reply to: #979101 by Yumgirl
Sep 3, 2019 7:04am
Thread
That was the one thing we didn't think of, looking at the crevices from the backside!
Signs of Summer series
Sep 7, 2019 8:57am
Thread
As summer winds to a close... so will this series. I will pull it and retire it as of next weekend to get ready for other crazy things :)

Signs of Summer

SO come and get it while its still out there.
Re: Signs of Summer series
Reply to: #979236 by mudflinginfools
Sep 7, 2019 11:51am
Thread
If only there were not those pesky fifteen hours between us, I would like to! 😉 ☀️ 🌷 ⛱️
Updated clues
Sep 13, 2019 5:41pm
Clues to: Just A Little Frozen series, have been updated as of (9/13/19) Just wanted to let anyone who has printed this out know and to reprint it. Thanks! :)