A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Louisiana

Re: Shorty's coming to New Orleans
Board: State: Louisiana
Reply to: #596920 by Shorty
Apr 3, 2011 4:52pm
Thread
Hey, Shorty. I thought I'd give some advance notice so people can start checking their schedules. Does pizza sound o.k. or would you rather more New Orleans style food?
Reply to: #596927 by dancingpecan
Apr 3, 2011 4:54pm
Thread
Mmmm, Pizza is Yummy! : )
Reply to: #596931 by Shorty
Apr 3, 2011 5:43pm
Thread
LOL. For a minute, I wondered if you might be sick of pizza.
Reply to: #596948 by dancingpecan
Apr 3, 2011 6:13pm
Thread
No never!
Reply to: #596827 by dancingpecan
May 28, 2011 7:32pm
Thread
(July 28- Aug 1, I believe)

With all the things I want to do, Ive extended my stay into the 2nd, solely for letterboxing. If anyone is able to meet downtown area, any of those days, please aq me and we can exchange numbers and can pick at times. During the 28th-1st, it would still have to be a quick exchange.

Looking forward to my visit, with many boxes!
Coming To New Orleans
Jul 11, 2011 1:03pm
Thread
My husband and I will be coming to NO next week to visit. I have clues and they usually take us to cool places but does anyone have some unique things to do there? We have been several times before so the tourist stuff is not top priority. Hiking is good, so is kayaking. Any suggestions?
Re: Coming To New Orleans
Reply to: #620346 by Ghopper
Jul 11, 2011 11:16pm
Thread
not much "kayaking" in or near new orleans but if youre up for a nice lazy day on the river (no letterboxing included) you can go on a float trip! those last a long time and can be super fun and are only about an hour outside the city (http://www.tikitubing.com/). also, not much in terms of "hiking" either. the highest point in NOLA is a man-made hill at the zoo and that's 8 feet above sea level. i am from new orleans but currently in northern cali and believe me, i hike here all the time and there is nothing close (unfortunately) near home. there are some nice trails starting in MS but dont know if youre down to go all that way. i do know there are some lovely letterboxers in the area (my mom, good ol' gal and another wonderful lady YumGirl) who would love to go boxing with you (and show you some pretty neat places)!
cake day
Aug 31, 2011 8:01am
Happy cake day, Blackberry Patch! Hope you have a great one!
The Red Cat's Coming to New Orleans!
Sep 16, 2011 10:12am
Thread
Hello!

My soon-to-be husband and I will be taking a mini-honeymoon to New Orleans Oct. 17th-20th! It's the first time to New Orleans (and Louisiana) for both of us and I would love some suggestions on boxes in New Orleans and/or things to see/do/eat. I also wouldn't mind possibily meeting some LA letterboxers if anyone's interested in an exchange.

-The Red Cat
Re: The Red Cat's Coming to New Orleans!
Reply to: #640256 by The Red Cat
Sep 16, 2011 11:07am
Thread
Check out the View Carre box. The experience is so worth it. The Jazz box was a surprise -- we were getting a national park cancellation stamp, mentioned letterboxing, and the ranger asked if we wanted the letterbox, too. What??? ;-)

Things to do:

• eat beignets at Café du Monde

• visit Jackson Square (if you read a bit about it before going, it's much more meaningful)

• buy pralines . . . eat them, too

• since it's your honeymoon, take a carriage ride

• since it's just fun to do, take a trolley ride

• listen to Jazz at Preservation Hall

That's just a start! Have a great time!

MC
Sep 16, 2011 1:09pm
Thread
Yea! Congrats on your upcoming nuptuals!!

Lots to do in NOLA! And maybe even a couple of letterboxers to meet (me, me, me!)...

Mama Cache had lots of great ideas. A couple more include the French Market, the Audubon Aquarium and/or Zoo (can be reached from the St. Charles streetcar line), taking a cruise on a riverboat, going out to see one of the great plantations (many tours to choose from which include transport), and in general, eating lots of great Cajun/Creole food.

There are also lots of boxes in and around the downtown area, as well as out near Audubon Park. I've done my best to plant where I could. Godzilla has many boxes planted here, and there is even one planted by the great Green Tortuga himself (a box that predates Katrina!!)

Let me know your schedule when it gets a little closer and you've had a moment to think about what you want to do. I'm very flexible and can meet you downtown when you have a spare moment. Just let me know when.

YG
Sep 16, 2011 1:36pm
Thread
Dick & Jenny's is a fantastic local restaurant and even hosts its own letterbox (listed on LbNA). Great ambiance, local specialties, fresh ingredients, and open for lunch and dinner. Have fun!
Reply to: #640309 by Yumgirl
Sep 17, 2011 6:17am
Thread
And maybe even a couple of letterboxers to meet (me, me, me!)...

and maybe me. :)

I've got a few boxes in the New Orleans area, most of them are on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain though.

dp
Sep 18, 2011 3:13pm
Thread
I was just here 2 months ago and had a bllllasst!
Get a beignet, visit the cathedral/jackson square, go to Mardi Gras World(get my box:P) ) take a stroll on bourbon in the day vs& night(amusing!) and enjoy yourselves!
WG 12 box
Oct 16, 2011 9:05pm
Thread
One of my boxes, WG 12 , was reported missing. I went and checked and couldn't find it. I have recarved and replanted it in a slightly different location. The clues reflect this new location.

dp
Box pulled for maintenance
Oct 17, 2011 9:09am
One of my three cute kids' characters boxes has been temporarily removed for maintenance. It's currently marked as unavailable. It should be going back out soon, though.

dp
Re: WG 12 box
Reply to: #647797 by dancingpecan
Oct 17, 2011 2:03pm
Thread
Yea! Jibbybop and I will have to go check it out! Plus the other two new ones!! Thanks!

YG
Reply to: #647915 by Yumgirl
Oct 19, 2011 6:39am
Thread
I hope the clue for Repeat Dat makes sense when you get there. It was almost time for the park to close and I didn't double check things as well as I should. As it was, when we got back in the car the park attendant was there to tell us it was time to go.
Coming to New Orleans in January!!!!!
Oct 20, 2011 9:56am
Thread
The vacation has been approved and the tickets have been bought!!!! I am going to be in New Orleans in January, for my birthday!!!!!

So, if anyone can give me some good ideas on where to stay, where NOT to stay, where to eat, and NOT to eat, what are must see places and place to avoid, and tours, especially ghost tours or haunted places to check out, I would totally appreciate it!!!!!

thanks in advance,

slick kitty
Re: Coming to New Orleans in January!!!!!
Reply to: #648546 by Captain Slick Kitty
Oct 20, 2011 11:20am
Thread
We will be there in February (arriving right AFTER Mardi Gras) and would be interested in the same information, especially since my teenagers will be with me this time. We will be at a big gymnastics meet at the convention center.

I haven't been in years, but can't wait for coffee and beignets at Cafe DuMonde!
Reply to: #648254 by dancingpecan
Oct 21, 2011 8:23am
Thread
We're going tomorrow, so we'll let you know.

YG
Reply to: #648560 by Sudoku Crazy
Oct 28, 2011 9:28pm
Thread
can't wait for coffee and beignets at Cafe DuMonde!

The last two times I had beignets at Cafe DuMonde in the French Quarter I was disappointed. I found that other Cafe DuMonde locations had much better beignets, which is sad because it holds such fond memories for me. :(
Godzilla has a box at Cafe Beignet. I've never been there so I can't say how their beignets are, but Godzilla recommends the place.

I'd recommend seeing at least one of the cemeteries. They are fascinating.

I keep trying to think of a really good restaurant, but it seems like most of the ones I really liked closed at some point after Katrina. :( Port O'Call makes good (but expensive) hamburgers.

dp

Oh, and Shorty was here this past summer and I think he did some of the touristy type things so maybe he'd have some good suggestions.
New letterboxers
Oct 28, 2011 9:30pm
In a couple weeks I will be taking a friend letterboxing for the first time. She's really excited about going. Another friend tried it for the first time last month and, so far, seems to enjoy it.

dp
Reply to: #650782 by dancingpecan
Oct 28, 2011 10:05pm
Thread
Cafe DuMonde seemed too packed and touristy for me, but Cafe Beignet was Awesome! Although I didn't get the box in the cafe due to restorations in the back, a beignet a block from my hotel on a crisp July morning was great!

Of coasre there is the Cathedral(box(s) reall close by :o) ) and Jackson Square, along with the architecture of the buildings in the surrounding blocks with the shops(also a box or 2 ) to check out as well. The River front and Mardi Gras World (by convention center) were both fun (I have a box at MG World! ) and a stroll down Bourbon st during the day vs night was interesting to say the least!

Food wise... There was a great food joint on the Riverfront by the Aquarium of the Americas(that was fun too!) that was a basketball sport type place(dont recall the name) and a place on Bourbon that had a bit more fanciful food-Pat O'Brians I think it was.
And 8 miles from the FQ in Metarie was the Mark Twain pizza place I met DP at-I thought it was veryy good, or was that just cause I was starving that day :0) ?...

Ohh the flea market was cool too(fun voodoo coffins with Black Pins for lets say your neighbor, boss, or arch enemy!).

We also did a Haunted History Tour-interesting history and a cool night tour of the FQ.
Cemeteries are a MUST! So cool! Saw the water line from Katrina on the tombs-Nicolas Cage's Pyramid tomb he purchased, the 'Kings' Tomb and the famous Voodoo Queen-Marie Laveau herself!

Boxing was a good time, just bring your stealth!

That is all my brain can think of now, hope your trip is all you want it to be-
shorty
Reply to: #650791 by Shorty
Oct 28, 2011 10:27pm
Thread
You may have been starving, but Mark Twain's has good pizza. Pat O's is a good place for drinks too.

Blue Dot Donuts is supposed to be good. The Creole Creamery if you want ice cream. Hanson's Sno Bliz for sno-balls. Emerile's is great if you want upscale. Oh, Acme Oyster House is pretty good for seafood and red beans and rice. Central Grocery on Decateur for Muffalettas

dp
One last box for 2011
Dec 29, 2011 6:39pm
Thread
I managed to plant a box today, my last for the year. I hope to get many more planted in 2012.

Happy New Years to everyone. :)

dp
Re: One last box for 2011
Reply to: #665256 by dancingpecan
Dec 29, 2011 8:44pm
Thread
This is great for Louisiana especially because dp's carvings are great and so are her hides!
Re: One last box for 2011
Reply to: #665295 by DS
Dec 30, 2011 6:38am
Thread
Hopefully by the time you get back here, I'll have a few more in this "series" hidden.
event next month
Jan 10, 2012 2:05pm
Thread
Re: event next month
Reply to: #668553 by the pink dragon
Jan 10, 2012 8:11pm
Thread
I saw this a few days ago...unfortunatly I have committed to a work event that day.
Corazon