About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Iowa

It's Me Again, with BOTM news
Board: State: Iowa
Apr 3, 2011 11:46am
Thread
just letting you know that BOTM for April, carved by Flutterby, is available. New location in the same park, so read the clues. She also sent a first finders prize for some lucky boxer.
New Score Update!
Apr 19, 2011 7:07am
Please note that the Hawkeyes have taken the lead in the IOWA vs. IOWA STATE letterbox.
Re: It's Me Again, with BOTM news
Reply to: #596888 by Maude
Apr 26, 2011 6:13am
Thread
… and I'm back already to let you know the BOTM will be picked up on Friday afternoon, so if the Sailor's Temptation has been tempting you, it's time to give in and let the ink have its way.
Another one bites the dust!
Apr 30, 2011 3:17am
Thread
It was recently brought to my attention that the Gray's Lake Letterbox has been demolished. I had planned to pull it during the construction on Fleur Drive, but didn't plan on the prelim earth-moving. It now lies under heap of twisted metal and mounds of earth and sand, may it rest in peace.

I thought I'd picked a nice safe spot (another planter lost one due to flooding there a while back), just have to be more diligent next time. I'll be planting another there sooner or later, perhaps after the construction. Such a nice lake, especially at dusk.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out in case anyone had plans to swing in to log it. Till next time.
Re: Another one bites the dust!
Reply to: #603180 by Luxem Via
Apr 30, 2011 9:33am
Thread
It now lies under heap of twisted metal and mounds of earth and sand

Don't think of it as "lost"... think of it as "hidden better than they found it."
Reply to: #603214 by wassamatta u
Apr 30, 2011 2:05pm
Thread
Don't think of it as "lost"... think of it as "hidden better than they found it."

I LIKE that. I think that's the way I will think of my boxes hidden under earthquake rubble. : )
Reply to: #603235 by 55 Steps
May 1, 2011 3:30am
Thread
hidden under earthquake rubble

Yeah, yeah, that's it. . . they're not buried at all. . . they're just better hidden than they were before! ;-)
BOTM - just 19 days left!
May 3, 2011 11:59am
Just got back from planting the BOTM for May, so The Whatchamacallit is back at home for a little while. You'll get a longer opportunity later this month.

Consider yourselves warned: I will pick up this month's box on May 23, around lunchtime, so it will get to its next destination before the planter's vacation time starts. That means you have only 19 days to get Camp Fire Lady's great stamp.

If I were you, I'd get right out there while the variety of wild flowers is still blooming. I saw ten different flowers today, the May apples are showing buds, and the hepatica is up, along with tiny ferns and lush mosses.
Old Box Clues
May 20, 2011 10:36am
Thread
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has actually gone hunting for any of these old boxes that are in the letterbox-basement?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/letterbox-basement/messages/230?viscount=-30&l=1

If you look at entries #240-244 there are some in eastern Iowa, along the Mississippi. I am clear over west of I-35 in central Iowa, but curious if anyone knows if these boxes from 2003 are still out there. We are going to be visiting that part of the state later in the summer or fall.

Thanks!
helms2049
Re: Old Box Clues
Reply to: #607744 by helms2049
May 20, 2011 10:40am
Thread
Letterbox basement huh?? Is that where old letterboxes go to die? An archive of retired 'boxes?
Reply to: #607746 by Head Girl
May 20, 2011 11:56am
Thread
I guess it sort of is! They describe it as boxes that were too old and fell off the LbNA site. I think it would be cool if some of them were still out there.
Reply to: #607744 by helms2049
May 20, 2011 12:45pm
Thread
I don't know about these, but I have found a box VERY near one of them, so do your homework.
Reply to: #607777 by Maude
May 20, 2011 1:00pm
Thread
I thought perhaps you might have had the chance to box in the area. I hope hart X6 chimes in too, as I bet they've been up that way too..... Thanks for the tip!
Reply to: #607768 by helms2049
May 20, 2011 1:08pm
Thread
Oooh... :) Sounds like a fun challenge.
BOTM for May
May 22, 2011 11:40am
I have to pick up the Box of the Month early and get it into the mail to keep it in circulation, so tomorrow will be your last chance to get this one, and it is quite nice. I'll have to watch the weather to determine when I can make the pick up without getting wet, so no predictions on what time I'll be getting it. The filler box will be there a little longer than usual while we're waiting for the June box to arrive, so if you've missed that one, this might be a good opportunity to check it off your To-Do list. It's an adventure!
Now 5 Boxes
May 24, 2011 10:14am
Thread
I put out three new boxes today, bringing the total number of boxes in Fort Dodge to five! I will be putting out more in the cemetery series in the next few months as well, so hopefully I can get some interest in letterboxing going in the area!
Re: Now 5 Boxes
Reply to: #608738 by helms2049
May 24, 2011 10:30am
Thread
Fort Dodge isnt too far away....im going to have to plan that in very soon!!

SophGma
Reply to: #608738 by helms2049
May 24, 2011 10:31am
Thread
Good for you! I feel like such a slacker, but I have plans … and the day isn't over yet.
Reply to: #608743 by SophGma
May 24, 2011 10:38am
Thread
Oh. I just realized its plant a letterbox day. I have one ready to go. After work I will do that and that makes my total in the Dickinson County area to 6.

I laugh and tell people if you follow them in order you can see how my carving has progressed. :) I always want to recarve my first ones but then think about the difference in carvings from my first to now and just leave them.

Im starting to use my LTC stamps as traditionals, so a few miles from here are 'the witches graves' im going to hide Poe and his Raven there very soon! Spoooooky!! :)
Reply to: #608745 by SophGma
May 24, 2011 10:43am
Thread
I've been planting my ltc stamps as well
Reply to: #608745 by SophGma
May 24, 2011 10:46am
Thread
Oooh, spooky ones will be cool to get! We are going to be up at the lakes over the 4th visiting family who will be camping. Planning on getting those Dickinson Co. boxes then!!

One of the three I put out today I had also made an LTC with....but it was not for a tracker or anything.
Reply to: #608746 by Baqash
May 24, 2011 11:24am
Thread
Yeah, those LTC stamps are way to cool not to put out there. I try to match my stamp with the hiding place at least a little so my LTC stamps werent doing much but sitting in a tub. But they are some of my best work so im just going to hide them out there some where.
Reply to: #608762 by SophGma
May 24, 2011 11:41am
Thread
I planted a whole series of portraits and made up a story about them walking the trail
Iowa Improm2
May 25, 2011 6:54am
Thread
Plans are cooking for another informal get together in mid-August. We have a nice park to use, and plenty of letterboxes in the vicinity (most will be outside the park). Experienced boxers may box on their own as much as they wish. The workshop is for people who have never boxed. Any experienced boxers who would like to take a newbie out on the trail from 11:00 until lunch? Please join us at the Conservation Education Center and we'll make it happen (if anyone shows up for the workshop!)

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gEventId=2129

There will be a few new temporary plants in the area around the education center, so stamp/logbook/ container donations would be appreciated. They can be picked up at the end of the day or the next day. I'd like to do the planting myself so I can prepare a clue sheet for them. Contact me if you have donations.

Come on, you new folks! Don't be shy ~ I've seen your signature stamps ~ now let's see your faces!
Re: Iowa Improm2
Reply to: #609019 by Maude
May 25, 2011 12:38pm
Thread
This sounds fun! I'll have to see how our schedule shakes out, but would love to meet people.
BOTM for June
Jun 18, 2011 6:48am
Thread
The box arrived yesterday and is ready to plant this morning. Due to driving distance for me, and a need to run a couple of other errands before I come home, don't look for the clue until mid-afternoon. I will pick up this box on July 1, so those of you who have been watching and waiting, & wondering what happened, put on your boxing shoes and find your logbook! Is this a neat stamp? Let's just say ~ The eyes have it.

M
Re: BOTM for June
Reply to: #614848 by Maude
Jun 18, 2011 10:31am
Thread
GO!

It wasn't even very muddy out there this morning, though I suppose a kid could find some and get into it. The variety of fungii was wonderful, so if you're into nature photos, especially close ups, take a camera. I won't say the mosquitos were bad because they weren't, but don't go unprepared.
Madison County Boxing Question
Jun 28, 2011 2:41am
Thread
I will be visiting my parents this summer in Des Moines and I'm thinking of taking a day trip with my wife to see the bridges and sites of Madison County, a bit of letterboxing included. Can anyone recommend an itinerary and route?

My wife will be seven months pregnant at the time so not to much hiking from the ACed car preferred.

Thanks in advance.

-KIP
Re: Madison County Boxing Question
Reply to: #617025 by K.I.P.
Jun 28, 2011 5:04am
Thread
KIP, if you get an answer offline, I would like to know as well.

Baqash, who will be in Iowa next month
Re: Madison County Boxing Question
Reply to: #617025 by K.I.P.
Jun 28, 2011 5:29am
Thread
Funny, we actually are planning to go there this weekend and letterbox.