Read Board: State: Illinois

Events listed for east central Illinois
Board: State: Illinois
Sep 20, 2018 3:43pm
We have listed these events:

Letterboxing 101 - A Beginner's Guide 10/09/18 Mansfield, IL

Letterboxing - Treasure Hunting in the Woods 10/20/18 Mahomet, IL

Bake Up Some Letterboxing Fun at Homer Vintage Bakery 11/03/18 Homer, IL

And the virtual event still ongoing: Party Like it's 199 + 1 - Help Us Celebrate the Illinois Bicentennial 2018 (the whole year & open to everyone)

Three events are also listed for 2019 in this area:

Letterboxing - Treasure Hunting in the Woods 01/19/2019 Mahomet, IL

Tips, Tricks, and Techniques at Lake of the Woods 03/09/2019 Mahomet, IL

Homerdoodle in the Woods 07/20/2019 Mahomet, IL
Re: Illinois Bicentennial Celebration
Reply to: #963064 by TeachJR
Nov 16, 2018 7:41pm
Thread
Happy Illinois Bicentennial! And look at all those boxes!

As of today there have been 139 boxes planted for the Illinois Bicentennial Event: Party Like It's 199 + 1 - Help us Celebrate the Illinois Bicentennial! Event no. 4046

The goal is to reach 200 letterboxes planted - one for each year that Illinois has been a state. They can be planted in any state to honor the bicentennial. If you have a reason to celebrate something about Illinois (a college, a vacation, a letterboxing event, your grandmother, etc., please join the event and plant a box. These boxes have been planted in 13 states and are listed as:

Illinois Bicentennial: <your box name>

Thank you!
Re: Illinois Bicentennial Celebration
Reply to: #963064 by TeachJR
Dec 8, 2018 10:25am
Thread
It is almost the end of 2018 - the Illinois Bicentennial year. Please do continue to plant letterboxes for the Illinois Bicentennial. We were challenged to plant 200 boxes and to date we have 196 boxes planted (and more to come) since August of 2018. I thank everyone who signed up for the virtual event and I thank everyone who has planted 1, 2, 3, etc. boxes for this event. Everybody wins in a virtual event - the planters, the finders, individuals, everyone! We reached 22 states so people can find these connections to the Illinois Bicentennial all over the country.

Thank you for helping us to celebrate by planting boxes. To those of you who signed up and still are awaiting a day to plant, please do so and let me know. I will add them to the list whenever they get planted.

TeachJR
Tips, Tricks, and Techniques at Lake of the Woods
Feb 12, 2019 5:03am
March 9th at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet, IL we will hold the event: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques at Lake of the Woods. This event includes sessions on logbook making, pouch making, container preparation, cipher and code clue writing, safety on the trails, poisonous plant identification, LTC information, event boxes, traditional boxes, networking, and LUNCH! This is the same park where we will hold Homerdoodle in the Woods during the summer so it is your chance to get a preview of the park. Hope you can join us for the event, soup lunch & potluck, and fun!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4064
Road Trip
May 12, 2019 3:40pm
Hello! Planning a summer road trip and will be spending a few days in Peoria IL. I'm looking for "the best", "must get" boxes in the area. My older dog is ambulatory, so trails need to be stroller friendly.

Thanks for suggestions.

PuggleMom
Caveman's event was a big success!
Jun 10, 2019 10:29am
Thread
Thanks to Caveman and his family for once again providing us with a day of fun, boxing, good food, and seeing old friends. Participating in the Olympic games was a special touch. You always come up with clever ideas.
Re: Caveman's event was a big success!
Reply to: #976155 by carry on grandma
Jun 10, 2019 11:29am
Thread
Yes I also want to thank them for another outstanding event. Thank you so much for opening up your home for us to gather and have a wonderful time. I love love those logs! And the stamps were so beautiful! Thank,you thank you
Jun 10, 2019 2:22pm
Thread
Agree. I'm not much into games, but I have to say, those were fun.
Jun 10, 2019 2:55pm
Thread
I second that emotion! Thank you Caveman, 80 and inc for another great day of boxing fun! Yes! The games were a nice addition, and so was the extra real estate! Always good to visit with everyone too! Thanks so much!
Lampwick
Jun 11, 2019 7:18am
Thread
Another success! The cleverness and creativity of the clues never ceases to amaze me! Fun time.
Jun 11, 2019 3:37pm
Thread
It was a lovely afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality shown by Caveman and his family. It was a fun, unique event. Many thanks!!!
Jun 11, 2019 4:59pm
Thread
How successful was it? Well, Reluctant Traveler says it's the only event he likes. He got his clues in hand and started finding boxes before I even got myself organized and ready to begin! We both had a wonderful day ~ thank you, Caveman, and your intrepid team of tricky folks!
Jun 14, 2019 11:39am
Thread
On behalf of the entire cave family thank you for all the wonderful comments. We had so much fun visiting, playing games, and watching the hunt. We actually started thinking about 2020 possibilities.
Reply to: #976358 by caveman-80-inc.
Jun 14, 2019 12:52pm
Thread
We actually started thinking about 2020 possibilities.

I was incredibly impressed with your massively huge ambitions, until I realized the "2020" was a year...
Happy AQ Day to Topcollector
Jun 26, 2019 9:29am
Thread
I hope to box with you again soon. Your carves are always a pleasant surprise.
Re: Happy AQ Day to Topcollector
Reply to: #976709 by carry on grandma
Jun 26, 2019 11:06am
Thread
Thank you.
Reply to: #976710 by Topcollector
Jun 27, 2019 4:08am
Thread
Yay, Topcollector! Hopefully you enjoyed your Cake day.
Reply to: #976721 by RDHG
Jun 27, 2019 8:48am
Thread
Thank you. It was a good day.
Boxing Charleston
Aug 6, 2019 12:11pm
Thread
I got to do a lot of boxing last weekend and checked a bunch off my list, but I still have Charleston, IL to do. Somehow I'm terribly intimidated by university campus boxes--like I shouldn't be there if I'm not a student. Maybe if I had someone to go with I could get them. Does anyone close by still need to get those? I'm in Springfield, so it's a bit of a trip for me--I'd need some advance notice.
Re: Boxing Charleston
Reply to: #978040 by Topcollector
Aug 9, 2019 4:18am
Thread
Suggestions about letterboxing at campus locations--

There are so many interesting and historic locations at both the University of Illinois and Eastern Illinois University. The best time to search for campus boxes in our area are weekends and preferably Sunday mornings or during the summer/winter months between semesters on campus. At EIU in Charleston classes begin on August 19, 2019. However, students will already be moved into dorms and apartments before that time. The athletic team students have been on campus most of the summer and are already practicing. We usually letterbox on the University of Illinois campus on Sunday mornings to have fewer people wandering around. In the fall you would want to avoid football weekends as well.

Have fun boxing on campus!
Replacing LnLs
Aug 28, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
We try to carry supplies with us in case the contents of a box need repair/maintenance. We carry baggies, extra logbooks, suet feeders for hanging boxes. Also a small supply of small LnLs (approx 3"x3-1/2"x2"). However, I don't paint the containers, nor do I use camo paint. The containers are just clear plastic. Since they ARE just clear plastic, would most box owners prefer we NOT replace a box that's, say, cracked & letting water in, but instead just leave a note on the clues pages & just leave the box with new baggies but the old container?
Re: Replacing LnLs
Reply to: #978882 by Early Risers
Aug 28, 2019 2:41pm
Thread
I'd prefer that my cracked boxes be replaced.
Aug 28, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
We would be thankful for any trail magic given to our boxes, including clear plastic containers. We try to plant a few wherever we go, some far from home and hope other folks will render aid. We also carry extra supplies and help boxes along the way. The like minded camaraderie of this hobby makes it special. Our opinion only, surely to be others.
Aug 28, 2019 9:58pm
Thread
Depends on the location. If it's super visible, I'd rather the cracked box is left. I take a lot of time to camouflage my boxes because I don't want some non-boxer getting a hold of it. When in doubt, leave it or contact the planter.
Standing ovation for Musicals-Stage and Screen Event
Sep 9, 2019 10:42am
Thread
Thanks to CorvidaeBlue and her team for planning a fun and relaxing day! The carves brought back memories of musicals seen through the years, and some I'd missed, but wished I'd seen. It is always a pleasure to meet up with old friends too.
Re: Standing ovation for Musicals-Stage and Screen Event
Reply to: #979310 by carry on grandma
Sep 9, 2019 9:33pm
Thread
It was a wonderful event and love love the carves. Also the weather was perfect!
Re: Standing ovation for Musicals-Stage and Screen Event
Reply to: #979310 by carry on grandma
Sep 11, 2019 11:18am
Thread
What a fun day at Rush Creek in Harvard, IL. Thank you for the wonderful day! It was great to see friends and make new letterboxing friends. My little Mack Mermaid and I can't wait for the next event.
Happy Birthday to p green frog!
Sep 25, 2019 5:48pm
Hey! Our loveable p green frog is having a birthday next week. AQ email me if you want her address to send her a card!

TeachJR
p green frog - Birthday card requests
Sep 27, 2019 12:52pm
Thread
My dear letterboxing friend, p green frog, is having a birthday. Some of you know that she has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. We have been posting pictures of frogs on the Facebook Great Lakes Letterboxing to keep her spirits up. I am asking my Illinois letterboxers to please send her a birthday card during the first week of October.

p green frog
Pam Green
AQ email me for the address

Thank you so much.. I know these cards will help to brighten her day.

TeachJR/Jill
Re: p green frog - Birthday card requests
Reply to: #979771 by TeachJR
Sep 28, 2019 12:23pm
Thread
Hey - this is a very kind thing to do and I'm more than happy to send a card! But just in case - do you know that this is a publicly viewable page online? Anyone can see the address and it looks like someone's home address.