A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Georgia

Re: SMP
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #974034 by Eidolon
Apr 16, 2019 11:54am
Thread
As in ....I could not tell you if the Clues still work but I know where the boxes are.
Reply to: #974234 by T REX
Apr 16, 2019 1:21pm
Thread
Come hike with us sometime!
Reply to: #974237 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
Like Saturday. Saturday would be good. :)
Reply to: #974247 by karmakat
Apr 16, 2019 5:09pm
Thread
there will be brownies.
Reply to: #974237 by Quarry
Apr 20, 2019 6:35am
Thread
I'm not going to be able to come out there today. I'm 6 weeks out from a total shoulder reconstruction. A wet muddy mountain is not where I need to be right now if I slip... my shoulder or my doctor will not be happy.
You guys be careful. Wet granite's damn slick... And totally unforgiving.
Reply to: #974353 by T REX
Apr 20, 2019 6:51am
Thread
All true. I hoped to toe some lines today, but sadly it's to wet
Reply to: #974355 by Quarry
Apr 20, 2019 7:14am
Thread
You do not want to be anywhere near those boxes with the mountain wet from rain. You will not have a good hike.
Reply to: #974356 by T REX
Apr 20, 2019 7:31am
Thread
True! We going birding instead.
Visiting Savannah
Jun 5, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
Hello Georgia folk!

I will be visiting Savannah this Fall for a getaway with my hubby and am looking for recommendations--where to stay, what to see, where to eat, and of course, letterboxes that lend themselves to the tolerance of a noxer.

We'd like a moderately priced Bnb (although the breakfast is not a requirement). Prefer to be in the city, and are happy to Uber or public tranport. Dates are still fluid right now.

Thank you all in advance!

Mama Stork
Re: Visiting Savannah
Reply to: #975936 by Mama Stork
Jun 5, 2019 4:45pm
Thread
There is so much to do in Savannah! Being a tourist is fun - hop on/off the trolley and go sight-seeing, or taking a spooky ghost trolley tour. There are many museums, and the girl scout birthplace. Paula Deen's restaurant is a favorite for southern buffet, but there are tons of great restaurants - especially if you want to enjoy seafood. I like walking down River St. and poking into local shops in City Market. Depending upon how long you're here - Tybee Island is a fantastic beach - North Beach has the lighthouse and is less crowded, South Tybee is the tourist mecca and popular. There are Tybee Island dolphin tours for about $15 that are outstanding!!

Boxing wise: there are several drive bys in the historic downtown Savannah area, as well as a beautiful letterbox in the Bonadventure cemetery (between Savannah and Tybee). There are several boxes on some trails in nearby Pooler as well.

Let me know when you set your dates - I'd love to meet up and exchange and would be glad to take you around to local boxes if I'm available.

Sincerely,
Super Hedge Hoggie (Sarah)
Jun 5, 2019 6:24pm
Thread
Visit Books on Bay and tell them Amanda from Seattle sent ya! (I haven't put a letterbox there yet, but it is in the works)

-Amanda
Reply to: #975949 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jun 9, 2019 10:07am
Thread
We were there last weekend and did get 12 boxes.

We did end up at the wrong Botanical Gardens and wondered why all the clues did not work!

The box that was supposed to be on a car wasn't because it had been pulled. Oh, the car wasn't was where it was supposed to be either. We stumbled upon it!
Happy Cake Day karmakat
Jun 15, 2019 5:35pm
You and your meow buddies have a great day!
Reply to: #975949 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jul 3, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
The Bonaventure Historical Society has developed a $5 tour app that would be great for both you and your noxer!
You can't go wrong anywhere in Savannah. You'll have an amazing time!
Re: Unidentified Cootie
Reply to: #797112 by Spark-o-matic
Jul 4, 2019 1:22pm
Thread
Lol no, here we are 6 years later no closer to the truth
Happy Cake Day, bainsidhe
Jul 9, 2019 6:04am
Thread
Surprisingly, it has already been a year. A Happy AQversary!!
Re: Happy Cake Day, bainsidhe
Reply to: #977125 by BEBO BEAR
Jul 10, 2019 7:47am
Thread
I really enjoyed meeting you a while back at LCAB's Meet and Greet in Stone Mountain. Happy AQversary!
TREX Cake Day
Sep 2, 2019 9:07am
Happy AQversary Trex!! We need more long hikes!
Oct 4, 2019 5:32am
Thread
Good morning wonderful people!

We are just 2 WEEKS away from our Savannah Getaway and I am developing my bucket list, lol. The earlier suggestions are much appreciated and definitely being implemented. We love to combine full on tourist spots with the "insider" places

One thing we'd really like to do is visit the Mata Hari Speakeasy, so am looking for a way to obtain a key or password. I've contacted our lodging host, but know letterboxers are always a better bet for the "underground" so to speak.

Once we have a slightly better idea of schedule, I'll post if available for a meet--

Thanks so very much

Mama Stork
Reply to: #976952 by Nuts Down
Oct 4, 2019 5:40am
Thread
Bonaventure Historical Society has developed a $5 tour app

This looks perfect! Thank you!! Bonaventure was on my must-see list and this will allow us to wander at our own pace.

MS
Reply to: #980041 by Mama Stork
Oct 4, 2019 6:29am
Thread
Get there with plenty of time to spare. They start shooing people to the front from the back at about 4.

td
Reply to: #980043 by J Walkers
Oct 4, 2019 7:20am
Thread
Good to know!

Thank you
Reply to: #980040 by Mama Stork
Oct 4, 2019 8:20am
Thread
If you have time, have a meal at Paula Deen's restaurant. It's SOOO good! I always enjoyed just driving through the neighborhoods of Savannah. Many of the old neighborhoods have squares in the middle (Kind of hard to explain but when you see it, you'll know) and large shady oaks with Spanish moss.

BB
Thank you, Savannah!
Oct 24, 2019 4:54am
Thread
Had a wonderful few days in this beautiful city! Due to a bum hip and a couple tropical rains, I didn't get to box nearly as much as I wanted nor did we get to do everything on our to-do list, but I would visit again in a heartbeat!

Only one letterbox this trip, from Bonaventure --crowds, mosquitoes, humidity, hip and noxer all came into play on that. You all weren't joking about bug spray in your clues!! The tour app was worth the $5.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Will come back someday!
In need of help from a boxer who resides in Savanah, GA
Oct 27, 2019 10:34am
Thread
I have a custom-made stamp and a very nice container I would love to have planted in Savanah. This is in honor of The Girl Scouts. I LOVED being in scouts. I no longer live in GA and want to find the perfect spot for this plant. Prefer for it to be indoors. I wish I knew how to post a picture of the stamp and box on here. If you are willing to take this on for me, please drop me a note with your thoughts as to where you could plant it. Will send you a picture of the stamp and container via text or email. Thanks. Ginny/Always on Call
Re: In need of help from a boxer who resides in Savanah, GA
Reply to: #980583 by Always On Call
Oct 27, 2019 3:32pm
Thread
I was just in Savannah and planted a box indoors, now to write the clue!!

-amanda from seattle
Re: Mistletoe State Park cabin
Reply to: #980698 by Three FLAmigo's
Oct 30, 2019 4:54am
I do. I'll private message you my phone number.
Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Nov 18, 2019 7:57am
Thread
Thank you so much to Quite Contrary for the great letterboxing weekend! We only missed one stamp, which was a temp box that I guess was put online after we got there (we had data issues with Verizon the entire time, so I didn't see the entry until after I got home :( ). Oh well..... it was a great time! I wish I had more time to sit and chat and exchange with y'all! Maybe next time! And thanks to SHH for cooking breakfast! It was awesome as always!

For those who haven't logged Let's Fly Away yet, the clue has been revised for it's next gather, so it will not show in your Appling GA search. Please use this link to log your find:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=12129

Thanks for the great time! Now onto CT/MA for Soup's On! Oh, and Thanksgiving with the family....

Bungalow Boxer
Re: Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Reply to: #981269 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 18, 2019 12:41pm
Thread
we had data issues with Verizon the entire time...

Summer 2018 we spent a couple of days in Bowling Green, KY. Lovely town, home of the Corvette Museum. But our Verizon phone went belly-up as soon as we entered town. No calls, no data, no nuthin'. The locals told us it's not a Verizon town. Sure enough, as soon as we left town everything started working again.
Re: Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Reply to: #981269 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 18, 2019 2:19pm
Thread
Yes, agree with all. Had a ball. Never hiked so much in my life. Got so many awesome boxes. The entire event was so organized. I know a HUGE effort went in to this event. Thanks so much.