A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Georgia

Re: Jingle Boxing? Don Carter
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #875861 by twodancersandacat
Nov 10, 2014 10:30am
Thread
Our box is the only one there. I was just responding to the comments about no boxes being in the park when it did show up in my search of Gainesville.
Re: Jingle Boxing? Don Carter
Reply to: #875828 by hawkeye
Nov 10, 2014 10:47am
Thread
WOO and I were just talking about going to Panola. When you go, let us know. We'll have us a hunting party!
A little Jingle organizing!
Nov 10, 2014 11:10am
Thread
I almost wrote orangutanizing. :)

Okay it seems that there is definite interest in having Jingle Boxing in some form this year. No one has stepped up to organize so we are left with (what I see as) three options with each adhering to a plant by date:

1. Everyone plants wherever they want using the suffix Jingle Boxing 2014 for their boxes.

2. Everyone plants in one designated place (still using JB 2014 suffix). There have been suggestions that range from Don Carter SP, Newnan, Panola Mountain, Arabia Mountain, and Big Creek Greenway near Johns Creek/Alpharetta.

3. Everyone plants in one or more of one or more designated places (still with suffix). (We can chose from the aforementioned places.)

Please vote for #1 by clicking the funny button, #2 click the interesting button, and #3 click the educational button.

I have to say that I can only do the online prep work for this and can not host or plan the event. If someone wants to just grab it and forget about all this voting and online planning, that's fine by me. Just reply to this message and it's all yours. Thanks!
Re: A little Jingle organizing!
Reply to: #875873 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 11:21am
Thread
In my opinion I think you lose some of the meaning if you don't have a meet up/gathering, whatever you want to call it. Otherwise it's just a bunch of boxes in a park to find. There's nothing wrong with planting/finding boxes but I enjoy the meet and greet.
Reply to: #875878 by hawkeye
Nov 10, 2014 12:25pm
Thread
I agree. However, no one has come forward to organize the event part.
Reply to: #875887 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 12:38pm
Thread
I would be willing to help but cannot do it alone. We play soccer thru Dec. 6 & 7.
Reply to: #875887 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 8:20pm
Thread
We can organize it. We haven't hosted an event before but would be willing to give it a go. If we were hosting it, we would like to have it on Sunday, December 14th, probably starting in the early afternoon. I think either Panola or Arabia mountain area would work best if that would be okay. We have a Narnia series, which is sort of Christmasy, that we have been working on for a while and can plant it there ahead of time as well as arranging the other stuff for the event. We could also make some other Christmas boxes to put there and maybe have a potluck of Christmas cookies. If this will work, we will look into reserving an area in the park and making sure arrangements can be made and confirm later this week or next.
Reply to: #876016 by twodancersandacat
Nov 11, 2014 2:00am
Thread
Go for it! Sounds good.
Nov 11, 2014 8:11am
Thread
Location sounds great. Date sounds great. We might actually get to come and meet some of y'all in person!! Will keep an eye out for info.
Yay. Yay! Yaaayyy!!!
Nov 11, 2014 2:16pm
Thread
If you plan it, we will come. I vote for Arabia, because dogs aren't allowed at Panola and that's a complication for me, but it's your party, so do what makes sense for you.

Artemis - single parent to multiple animals.
Nov 11, 2014 6:50pm
Thread
I was sad that there was no Jingle Boxing event this year, it would have been my first! I am going to the NC event, so you couldn't have chosen a better date and time, what a perfect fit! Thank you for planning whatever it turns out to be, even if it's just hot chocolate and a cookie exchange. Thank you!
Reply to: #876145 by Artemis
Nov 12, 2014 3:04am
Thread
it's your party, so do what makes sense for you

Yes, thank you and have it where it is convenient for you and folks will come.
Reply to: #876231 by Brown Cow
Nov 12, 2014 6:58am
Thread
Okay, cool. We will go peruse the parks, most likely this Sunday and make a decision from there.
Nov 12, 2014 9:11am
Thread
We haven't hosted an event before but would be willing to give it a go.

Ah, fresh meat.
J/K :D
Seriously though, no matter what you do, folks will just be glad for a reason to see one another. We really do like each other (for the most part). Again, teasing. Really...I kid..I kid.
Reply to: #876293 by Sweet n Sassy
Nov 16, 2014 4:47pm
Thread
The event has been posted! We will be holding it at Panola Mountain since this park has an indoor conference room. Panola Mountain park actually connects to the Arabia Mountain area so boxes can be planted in both areas. See event listing for details.
Jingle Boxing
Nov 17, 2014 2:33pm
Thread
Hi! This is some information for planting for Jingle Boxing:
We don't have time to plant other people's stamps, but we would love to have others plant as many as they would like. Panola mountain actually connects to the Arabia mountain area and over to the Monastery of the Holy Spirit, so planting could be done on all the trails. If people post them a few days before the event, there will be time to print the clues beforehand. If a lot of people would like to plant, let me know and I can accumulate a list of areas and themes so that there is not as much repeat.

We will be planting a Narnia series off the Evans mill parking area of Arabia mountain park, a grinch series on one of the small walking trails at Panola(probably rock outcrop), and a Christmas grumpy cat behind the nature center.
Re: Jingle Boxing
Reply to: #877145 by twodancersandacat
Nov 17, 2014 2:41pm
Thread
I would like to plant an alphabet series on the outcrop trail if it will not interfere with your Grinch series. They will be small and referenced to the alphabet post along the way. It will not hurt my feelings if you say no!
Reply to: #877149 by Brown Cow
Nov 17, 2014 2:55pm
Thread
No worries. Of course you can plant there too! The more the merrier!
Reply to: #876999 by twodancersandacat
Nov 17, 2014 3:37pm
Thread
Cannot come on Sunday. So disappointed. Will try to make it that next week, during the week. Ya'll have fun though.
Opossums
Nov 21, 2014 3:44am
Thread
This is for those of you that have found my Rescuing Sis series or other interested parties. So cute!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kaelintully/give-the-opossums-some-single-ppl-ya-feel-me
Re: Opossums
Reply to: #877522 by Brown Cow
Nov 21, 2014 6:57am
Thread
So cute!!! I love the one in the sweater.
Nov 21, 2014 7:26am
Thread
Then they grew up.
Reply to: #877538 by GA Candy Girl
Nov 21, 2014 7:41am
Thread
And are still cute!
Nov 21, 2014 9:18am
Thread
Opossums vs possums... I just looked up the difference and now I'm really confused. A guess all those times I was lying down on the couch with my eyes closed, I wasn't playing possum. I was playing Opossum.

Old Blue
Nov 21, 2014 10:46am
Thread
Those are too cute. When I was in high school my dad rescued 3 babies after their mom was hit by a car. One died but we raised the other 2 until they figured out they could go over the fence and be gone. They do not tame but are so cute when little. Its always fun to see babies grow.

sun7flour
Reply to: #877574 by sun7flour
Nov 22, 2014 2:37am
Thread
They do not tame

The one we had was very tame. They are amazing animals. Just observing their different types of feet and maneuverability and how clean ours kept her cage was incredible. We had ours to almost adulthood. Our neighbor was as in love with her as we were but she got pneumonia while we were on vacation and died even though she took her to the vet. They said she didn't get enough antibodies from the mother before she was killed. When did yours leave? Did you keep them in a cage or just outside in your backyard. Ours weighed four ounces when we got her. She would curl up and sleep in the palm of our hand, loved watermelon, and would hang from our finger as we walked around the house with her.
Reply to: #877704 by Brown Cow
Nov 23, 2014 5:59pm
Thread
Ours were nearly adults when they left, they were pretty big. I don't think we ever caged them, probably kept them in a nest box or something and let them roam the garage. My dad stored trim wood up in the rafters so they could climb up in it. They tolerated us well and the girl tamed more than the boy. Perhaps if we only had one it would have been tamer. I had that experience with rats. One was a member of the family, but when we had two they were rats. Fun, but not as dependent on humans for company. We raised a Western Gray Squirrel for a while too, and that was a blast! Beautiful animal. Now I have to settle for feeding the critters on our back deck. The skunks and racoons get quite bold looking for food in the kitchen if we leave the door open. The opossums are more shy, and they don't venture close to the house until after midnight.
Reply to: #877900 by sun7flour
Nov 24, 2014 5:01am
Thread
Awww, thanks for sharing about them. My kids were young when we had ours. We were calling every day to check on her and when we were told she wasn't improving by our neighbor, they would get on the bed and weep. We were at Disney and I told them that we weren't going to call any more and hope for the best and not let it ruin our vacation.
Reply to: #877145 by twodancersandacat
Nov 24, 2014 6:52am
Thread
We will be in Henry Co on the 6-7th for a soccer tourney so will try to get 2 boxes planted. They are store bought stamps but so super cute! I had them already put together in case we needed them for the year we hosted JB. I would like to plant them at the Monastery.

And just FYI for those wondering if people would go to Don Carter SP.....yes! It is easily accessible from 985 and 85....just needs some boxes!
Reply to: #877942 by Scout MOM
Nov 24, 2014 7:37am
Thread
We're looking forward to Jingle Boxing and finding the boxes on the trail behind the nature center. The last time we were there we had the dogs with us and had to skip them. Dogs are allowed on the trails on the other side of the park around Alexander Lake.

And just FYI for those wondering if people would go to Don Carter SP.....yes! It is easily accessible from 985 and 85....just needs some boxes!

We've been to Don Carter a couple of times and enjoyed walking the trails. We drove up to check out the RV campground but it isn't as nice as the older parks. The primitive camping sites looked nice and there's one very lonely box on a paved multi-use trail near them.