A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Georgia

Re: Jingle Boxing?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #875498 by SpitFire
Nov 8, 2014 7:41am
Thread
We are just getting started letterboxing and loving it! We would love to join in the Jingle Boxing. Sounds fun!
Reply to: #875567 by ZTeam5
Nov 8, 2014 11:53am
Thread
Welcome to the crazy world of letterboxing. We look forward to meeting you!
Reply to: #875353 by peepstone
Nov 8, 2014 6:10pm
Thread
Eeyoremama and I are coming back so she can go hobbit hunting. We'd be into this. . .

~tigs
Reply to: #875647 by tiggermama
Nov 8, 2014 6:37pm
Thread
When are you coming? That could give us some sort of target for a "plant by" date.
Reply to: #875651 by WiseOldOwl
Nov 8, 2014 7:33pm
Thread
When are you coming?

Um. . . don't know yet. It depends on weather, and driving conditions and what's going on on the weekends. Probably mid-December (she says without consulting her sister at all) or after Christmas. If it's after Christmas, i may plant this week before i leave the state. . .

~tigs (i happen to have a Christmas stamp with me. . .)
Reply to: #875652 by tiggermama
Nov 9, 2014 6:58pm
Thread
For those that are near the newest state parks in Newnan area and Gainsville area......they need boxes! I happen to have a few to plant.....
Reply to: #875786 by Scout MOM
Nov 9, 2014 7:10pm
Thread
I was looking at them this morning, actually. Don Carter is pretty far away--if I plant there, will anybody ever come? Same question with Chattahoochee Bend.

I have a short series that was originally intended for Cedartown, but I know if I plant it there, it will be found rarely if ever. I need a nice little 1 to 1 1/2 mile trail somewhere that isn't planted. Any ideas?
Re: Jingle Boxing? Don Carter
Reply to: #875788 by WiseOldOwl
Nov 9, 2014 8:06pm
Thread
If you plant them they will come...
Reply to: #875795 by GA Candy Girl
Nov 9, 2014 8:42pm
Thread
Not too many come to the south side. Pretty much just the south side boxers do and there's not too many of us that are active.
Reply to: #875799 by Bug Food Babe
Nov 10, 2014 4:10am
Thread
Not too many come to the south side. Pretty much just the south side boxers do and there's not too many of us that are active.

Yes, I have a new series at Panola that no one has found making it over 15 there. I know I am not the carver like Woo but I have improved. I was so excited about them. Hope someone will come soon.

The south side boxers would love them down here. We spend a lot of time traveling :^).
Reply to: #875823 by Brown Cow
Nov 10, 2014 4:59am
Thread
As soon as soccer season ends we are headed out for sure!! It's hard to box when games happen in the middle of the day. Panola is definitely on my radar.
Reply to: #875828 by hawkeye
Nov 10, 2014 5:42am
Thread
Panola is definitely on my radar.

Yeah! Don Carter does sound like a good place for Jingleboxing since there aren't any boxes there.
Reply to: #875830 by Brown Cow
Nov 10, 2014 7:36am
Thread
If Jingle Boxing were to happen at the new park in Newnan instead, that could increase the amount of boxes on that end of town. There are already quite a few boxes in Gainesville/surrounding area, although granted not at the new park. On the other hand, are there any boxers that live in that area, or are all the south end boxers closer to Stockbridge, making Newnan inconvenient for everybody? Any chance of making Jingle Boxing on a Sunday so those of us who work Saturdays could make it?
Reply to: #875844 by twodancersandacat
Nov 10, 2014 7:58am
Thread
There are already quite a few boxes in Gainesville/surrounding area, although granted not at the new park.

I'm wondering why my box at Don Carter isn't showing up in searches. We were there in March and found several geocaches, including the GA State Park Geocache and planted a letterbox.

Southern Red Oak
Reply to: #875851 by Scooters Mom
Nov 10, 2014 10:09am
Thread
Is it Southern Red Oak? If so, I do see that one, but there do not seem to be a whole lot of boxes at that park. If you are searching yourself, you may not see it if you have your own plants blocked in your searches.
Reply to: #875861 by twodancersandacat
Nov 10, 2014 10:30am
Thread
Our box is the only one there. I was just responding to the comments about no boxes being in the park when it did show up in my search of Gainesville.
Reply to: #875828 by hawkeye
Nov 10, 2014 10:47am
Thread
WOO and I were just talking about going to Panola. When you go, let us know. We'll have us a hunting party!
A little Jingle organizing!
Nov 10, 2014 11:10am
Thread
I almost wrote orangutanizing. :)

Okay it seems that there is definite interest in having Jingle Boxing in some form this year. No one has stepped up to organize so we are left with (what I see as) three options with each adhering to a plant by date:

1. Everyone plants wherever they want using the suffix Jingle Boxing 2014 for their boxes.

2. Everyone plants in one designated place (still using JB 2014 suffix). There have been suggestions that range from Don Carter SP, Newnan, Panola Mountain, Arabia Mountain, and Big Creek Greenway near Johns Creek/Alpharetta.

3. Everyone plants in one or more of one or more designated places (still with suffix). (We can chose from the aforementioned places.)

Please vote for #1 by clicking the funny button, #2 click the interesting button, and #3 click the educational button.

I have to say that I can only do the online prep work for this and can not host or plan the event. If someone wants to just grab it and forget about all this voting and online planning, that's fine by me. Just reply to this message and it's all yours. Thanks!
Re: A little Jingle organizing!
Reply to: #875873 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 11:21am
Thread
In my opinion I think you lose some of the meaning if you don't have a meet up/gathering, whatever you want to call it. Otherwise it's just a bunch of boxes in a park to find. There's nothing wrong with planting/finding boxes but I enjoy the meet and greet.
Reply to: #875878 by hawkeye
Nov 10, 2014 12:25pm
Thread
I agree. However, no one has come forward to organize the event part.
Reply to: #875887 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 12:38pm
Thread
I would be willing to help but cannot do it alone. We play soccer thru Dec. 6 & 7.
Reply to: #875887 by peepstone
Nov 10, 2014 8:20pm
Thread
We can organize it. We haven't hosted an event before but would be willing to give it a go. If we were hosting it, we would like to have it on Sunday, December 14th, probably starting in the early afternoon. I think either Panola or Arabia mountain area would work best if that would be okay. We have a Narnia series, which is sort of Christmasy, that we have been working on for a while and can plant it there ahead of time as well as arranging the other stuff for the event. We could also make some other Christmas boxes to put there and maybe have a potluck of Christmas cookies. If this will work, we will look into reserving an area in the park and making sure arrangements can be made and confirm later this week or next.
Reply to: #876016 by twodancersandacat
Nov 11, 2014 2:00am
Thread
Go for it! Sounds good.
Nov 11, 2014 8:11am
Thread
Location sounds great. Date sounds great. We might actually get to come and meet some of y'all in person!! Will keep an eye out for info.
Yay. Yay! Yaaayyy!!!
Nov 11, 2014 2:16pm
Thread
If you plan it, we will come. I vote for Arabia, because dogs aren't allowed at Panola and that's a complication for me, but it's your party, so do what makes sense for you.

Artemis - single parent to multiple animals.
Nov 11, 2014 6:50pm
Thread
I was sad that there was no Jingle Boxing event this year, it would have been my first! I am going to the NC event, so you couldn't have chosen a better date and time, what a perfect fit! Thank you for planning whatever it turns out to be, even if it's just hot chocolate and a cookie exchange. Thank you!
Reply to: #876145 by Artemis
Nov 12, 2014 3:04am
Thread
it's your party, so do what makes sense for you

Yes, thank you and have it where it is convenient for you and folks will come.
Reply to: #876231 by Brown Cow
Nov 12, 2014 6:58am
Thread
Okay, cool. We will go peruse the parks, most likely this Sunday and make a decision from there.
Nov 12, 2014 9:11am
Thread
We haven't hosted an event before but would be willing to give it a go.

Ah, fresh meat.
J/K :D
Seriously though, no matter what you do, folks will just be glad for a reason to see one another. We really do like each other (for the most part). Again, teasing. Really...I kid..I kid.
Reply to: #876293 by Sweet n Sassy
Nov 16, 2014 4:47pm
Thread
The event has been posted! We will be holding it at Panola Mountain since this park has an indoor conference room. Panola Mountain park actually connects to the Arabia Mountain area so boxes can be planted in both areas. See event listing for details.