About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Georgia

Berry College Eagle Nest Update
Board: State: Georgia
May 8, 2014 1:24pm
Thread
The Berry College Eaglet that hatched Feb 22 is getting ready to fly. B1 and B2 were last year's babies. B3 is an only child.

From the website:

Eagle Update, May 8, 2014:

"B3 is now preparing to fledge (fly) for the first time. Check the Approach Cam to get a better view of her perched in the higher branches of the nest tree. After fledging, she will hang around the nest for a few more weeks and her parents will continue to bring her food while she learns to hunt. After a few weeks, she will be gone."

Nest Cam

Photo Album
Re: Berry College Eagle Nest Update
Reply to: #845334 by Scooters Mom
May 8, 2014 2:20pm
Thread
Awww.. I've watched her since before she hatched. Bittersweet.

I'm not ready for her to fly! ::sad face::
May 8, 2014 2:30pm
Thread
I've been watching B3 before she first hatched too. I'm terribly addicted now, thanks to you, Scooter Mom. I know I've put at least a few hundred views on it. It's amazing how nurturing these eagles are to their baby eaglet. She'll be leaving the nest soon. I'm going to miss watching her grow. I'm glad I got to witness it!
May 9, 2014 6:51am
Thread
Going to miss watching them.
Remember when that young eagle was near by and mama was covering the baby until dad got back?
Reply to: #845413 by DeeCee
May 9, 2014 7:58am
Thread
Oh that was something. Don't want to mess with momma, so PROTECTIVE.
Reply to: #845339 by Only Dreaming
May 9, 2014 9:02am
Thread
I've watched her since before she hatched.

Me too. We even took a trip to Rome to see them in January.

It's not a good idea to leave the cam running on your computer 24 hours a day. I got a phone notice from Comcast in February that I had used 95% of their new 300 GB a month limit. Now I just click on a shortcut when I want to watch them.

Here's a youtube video showing B3 on a branch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17NOmh5-M4
Hiding boxes
May 9, 2014 3:58pm
Thread
Please think of the older people in GA. that box. We don't mind short walks or hikes . Please use less than 1 mile.
Reply to: #845448 by Scooters Mom
May 9, 2014 4:38pm
Thread
Lucky! Did you get to see the parent eagles? Wish I could see them in person(so to speak) I'm on the other side of Georgia, so it'd be quite a drive for me.

Wow, and I only get half that amount of GB with AT&T. I usually just watched for a while and then get off.
it is quite hard to click away though.
Re: Hiding boxes
Reply to: #845537 by F.A.M.S.
May 9, 2014 5:22pm
Thread
I have three boxes in Macon that are pretty much drive-bys...short walks. I don't know how far away you are, but they should be fairly easy :)
May 9, 2014 5:25pm
Thread
What about the people that like long hikes?
May 9, 2014 5:38pm
Thread
Are you talking about using the icons on clues, like the ones for strolls or drivebys? Because that makes a lot of sense. I know that for the ones that have no icon, I read the clue carefully so I can gauge how much energy I'll need or if the box is for me.

Sometimes the box just isn't for me, for whatever reason (too far/ too extreme/theme I'm not hep on/ covered in snakes). *shrug* Not all boxes are for all boxers.

Although, if we're putting in requests, I'd like all new boxes to be planted within 50 miles of my house. That gives you 5 states to choose from and a lot of waterfalls. Go.

~tigs (didnt I make this request before? Y'all don't listen well. . .)
Reply to: #845547 by Only Dreaming
May 9, 2014 5:39pm
Thread
Did you get to see the parent eagles?

The nest is visible from the parking lot high up in a pine tree. We were hoping to see Mom and Dad make their switch but it didn't happen while we were there. It was interesting to see the nest and tour the campus. We found a few Rome boxes and left one.
May 9, 2014 5:54pm
Thread
Please think of the older people in GA

I think we need to keep everyone in mind. I love a hike but admit to struggling more and more as my knee deteriorates. We also have some physically challenged boxers......so to keep everyone happy, we try to plant a mix of long and short......
Reply to: #845569 by tiggermama
May 9, 2014 6:16pm
Thread
I'd like all new boxes to be planted within 50 miles of my house. That gives you 5 states to choose from and a lot of waterfalls. Go.

I count only four, unless Virginia is closer than 50 miles away.
May 9, 2014 6:20pm
Thread
I know that for the ones that have no icon, I read the clue carefully so I can gauge how much energy I'll need or if the box is for me.

What are you talking about? Tiggers have unlimited energy! Or at least that's what I assumed because all I've ever heard about tigers are that their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs. They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy-Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
Reply to: #845588 by Raven
May 9, 2014 6:31pm
Thread
Well, with what tigs is going through, that's something that will take the bounce out of anyone, including a tigger. At least for now anyway. High hopes!!! ;)
May 9, 2014 8:19pm
Thread
I have seen your stamp in a lot of boxes on our trip as we are on our way to Philadelphia. Visited Gettysburg and Dillsbury today. Had lunch with Paula (Red Cruzsader) at Wolfe's diner and enjoyed so much seeing her talents at carving.
Reply to: #845610 by GA Candy Girl
May 10, 2014 8:54am
Thread
we're on our way BACK to Gettysburg today!! i hope you enjoy Philly; it's where i was born (not where i'm from, mind, but that's the fault of the USNavy).

and MiSs C: i have chronic Lyme. When i'm in a flair, i have the energy of a sloth. My joints swell up and everything gets stiff and sore. If i'm fine, i can hike for 12-15 miles. If i'm not, 3 miles is a LOT.

WATCH OUT FOR TICKS.

~tigs
Reply to: #845586 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 10, 2014 11:50am
Thread
Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, NC, SC

That is 5.
World Peace Cafe in Sandy Springs
May 12, 2014 7:27am
Thread
Hey everyone,

I was just toodling around AQ looking at Sandy Springs clues. I was doing some location research for the World Peace Cafe and discovered that the establishment closed it's doors in August 2013. I'm guessing the stamp is no longer accessible.

peepstone
Re: World Peace Cafe in Sandy Springs
Reply to: #846054 by peepstone
May 12, 2014 7:29am
Thread
Do the owners live in the area? I can't remember. Did you try emailing them? Even though they haven't been on in awhile, they might have their AQmail forwarded.
Reply to: #846055 by Raven
May 12, 2014 7:41am
Thread
I messaged them, too. I thought it would be good to alert everyone here since I can't change the status.
May 12, 2014 9:23am
Thread
Come search for mine just south of Nashville!! I always keep older folks and kids in mind. I've planted most of mind with my impatient kid in tow :)
May 12, 2014 9:44am
Thread
I was doing some location research for the World Peace Cafe and discovered that the establishment closed it's doors in August 2013. I'm guessing the stamp is no longer accessible.

...but the clue says nothing about it being inside.
Reply to: #846086 by Eidolon
May 12, 2014 1:28pm
Thread
Huh. I totally read it as indoors.
Reply to: #846122 by peepstone
May 12, 2014 3:12pm
Thread
This was an indoors stamp.
Reply to: #846138 by DeeCee
May 12, 2014 3:34pm
Thread
This was an indoors stamp.

Yep. Sure was.
May 12, 2014 8:16pm
Thread
ALMOST got that box one day. I remember a special young boxer getting car sick and the restaurant was not yet open. And there was a big festival in the parking lot. And there was some crisis at work that I had to work through with staff over the phone.

A feeble yet memorable attempt. Never went back.

Janice
BR
Reply to: #846199 by Big Red
May 13, 2014 6:26am
Thread
OK, so it was inside. Since it was stairs, and I had not been there, it wasn't obvious to me from reading. However, that also doesn't mean it is gone, just not accessible now unless there is a new business there. Maybe someone should go check. :)
May 13, 2014 8:55am
Thread
I'm "old" and don't walk so well so I only go after those boxes that are drive-bys. Also, those are the kind I plant, wherever I am. So long as you aren't going after thousands and thousands of boxes, there are plenty of drive-bys.