A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Florida

Re: Sistema boxes
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #974053 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 11, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
I was very excited to see a huge lot of Sistema boxes on craigslist for cheapcheapcheap but it was the microwave ones with the vent on the top, no good for boxing.

Warrior Woman
disappointed in RI
Re: Sistema boxes
Reply to: #974053 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 11, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
They look like Lock n Locks but are about $1.25 each!

Unfortunately, some of what makes these boxes good or bad is not readily visible. I used some cheap knockoffs for a while because they tested great, didn't leak when submerged in the bathtub, etc. But the problems arose after they had been in the field for a couple of years when the blue rubber gasket in the groove crumbled and fell out in chunks. Apparently blue silicone costs more than cheap blue rubber.

We long recommended Lock 'N Locks *by name* because long experience had shown them to be very reliable. But they're pretty hard to find any more, so we're in the process of settling on some other brands. The Sistema containers look good so far, but I dunno if they've been in use long enough to know for sure.
Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Apr 12, 2019 8:47am
Thread
I have a friend down there who is excited to try letterboxing, and she would like to connect with another boxer. Are any of you near Deerfield Beach and willing to help a newbie get started?
Re: Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Reply to: #974084 by RDHG
Apr 20, 2019 12:18pm
Thread
There’s a few of us scattered between western palm beach (southern oracle), Broward (not sure who’s still active, but Ms Cherry is there) Dade (me).

We’re pretty thin here in south Florida. :(
Apr 21, 2019 5:21am
Thread
How far are you from Vero Beach? Found three stamps there last weekend! All were great and in good shape!

BB
Apr 22, 2019 6:33am
Thread
Merritt Island is a solid 2.5 hours north of Deerfield Beach but if she ever heads our way I'd be happy to take her on a boxing tour here on the Space Coast.
Three FLAmigos
BOTM for April
Apr 24, 2019 1:08pm
Hey everyone! The Box of the Month for April will be out until Sunday night! It goes to it's next destination on Monday morning, so come out and grab this quick box while you can!

BB
Apr 25, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
Thank you for your responses. I told her that the area is kind of scarce for letterboxers, so having a new player in the area could be a welcome thing. 😃
May Box of the Month now available!
May 6, 2019 5:40am
May's Box of the Month is SOOOO sweet and will be out until the 28th of May! Come on by and get your special sweet!

BB
Last Day for the BOTM
May 27, 2019 7:36am
Hey everyone! Today's the last day for May's BOTM! Come on out and get this great stamp before it gets sent to it's next destination!

BB
June Box of the Month
Jun 3, 2019 12:04pm
June’s box of the month flew in today for an extended stay. It will be vacationing here until June 28th! Stop on by to get this cute addition to your logbook!

BB
June BOTM
Jun 19, 2019 8:54am
The June BOTM will be in place until 5:00pm on June 27th. Please make sure you stop by and get this great stamp!

Also note: the July BOTM clues will be DIFFERENT! I am moving on 6/28, so be sure to check out the new clues starting in July!

BB
Box of the Month Now Available IN A NEW LOCATION
Jul 1, 2019 5:32pm
The July Box of the Month is now awaiting visitors at its new location! Be sure you check a map before heading out because GPS doesn’t always recognize these streets!

Come out to get this great stamp!

BB
July Box of the Month
Jul 20, 2019 1:39pm
Just a quick reminder that July’s Box of the Month will only be out for another week, and will be pulled early on 7/28 and be sent to it’s next stop.

Come and get this great stamp while you can!
BB
August Box of the Month
Aug 5, 2019 2:19pm
The August Box of the Month is in place and awaiting visitors! It will be out until 8/28.
Please note the new clues for the box!
BB
Visiting The Mouse and a Bit Surprised
Aug 24, 2019 4:31am
Thread
While here in the Disney area, H and I went boxing while R was working. I was a bit surprised because I thought that there would be more boxes in the area, maybe even some Disney themed boxes. It is not a big deal. I was simply surprised. Am I missing something?
Re: Visiting The Mouse and a Bit Surprised
Reply to: #978733 by RDHG
Aug 24, 2019 5:06am
Thread
I believe there are not a lot of boxes there because it's just too muggle populated. There was a post around this a while back ... I did one on the outskirts that was missing and its location was now being used as a homeless camp.
Reply to: #978734 by Basset Mom
Aug 24, 2019 5:53am
Thread
Disney is also a bit litigious, they aggressively ban boxes on there property...and they own alot of the non-park real estate in Orlando. There are some amazing boxes on the space coast, I cant reccomened the Ambassadors Owl boxes highly enough.
Reply to: #978735 by Quarry
Aug 24, 2019 9:30am
Thread
Well here in California at Disneyland they simply just don’t last , we have a few but that’s it - they have cameras just about everywhere in the city of Anaheim I think because disney owns the city ( so I’m told ). It’s pretty crazy !
Reply to: #978738 by brailleboxer
Aug 24, 2019 11:48am
Thread
Also Florida in general is a challenging place for letterboxing. I have boxed in Orlando in the past and so many parks and/neighborhoods are just too manicured. Or there are just not the right kinds of trees or ground cover to hide a box for very long. Just one hurricane storm comes through and boxes get flooded out or the trees are all down and cleared and boxes disappear. (even inland like in Orlando) The majority of my boxes that I have had go missing and had to retire are those that I planted in Florida. I lived in Tampa/St. Petersburg area for two years and also have family still in Florida, so I have often been down there for letterboxing. I know Bungalow Boxer has moved down there now (in Orlando area) and has been lamenting the lack of a big letterboxing scene --since they came from the Connecticut area!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #978745 by Amanda from Seattle
Aug 24, 2019 6:50pm
Thread
Here in Florida, the places that are public lands and natural are often so because they are flood-prone. 40 years ago some clown tried to build a housing development in Payne's Prairie which was a lake at one time and may be again someday. The hubbub caused the state to get off the pot and pass some regulations against development in flood-prone areas, which of course led to the value of such land plummeting so the state could buy it up cheap for parks and wildlife management areas.
Reply to: #978734 by Basset Mom
Aug 25, 2019 5:44am
Thread
I think that I read about that. Did people mention it in the comments?
Reply to: #978735 by Quarry
Aug 25, 2019 5:48am
Thread
I understand that there are not to be boxes on Disney property. I meant outside of the property.

Thank you for the tip about the space coast. Maybe we can look for some of those when we go to see a rocket launch again!
Aug 25, 2019 5:53am
Thread
Yes, places are pretty well manicured here. Also, they are so built up that there seems to be little land without activity.

Another thing that I have had trouble finding nearby is a local cemetery that would be good for boxing.

Yes, the weather is a good point about boxes lasting. What a bummer.
Reply to: #978761 by Kirbert
Aug 25, 2019 5:56am
Thread
That is an interesting bit of trivia. Thanks for sharing it.
Reply to: #978772 by RDHG
Aug 25, 2019 6:31am
Thread
Another thing that I have had trouble finding nearby is a local cemetery that would be good for boxing.

Greenwood Cemetery in Orlando is about the best you are going to get. At one time, Safari Man had a five box series which I found in 2013 but I don't know how many might remain. LCAB has a 12 box series plus there are several other singles including one of mine.
Reply to: #978770 by RDHG
Aug 25, 2019 6:40am
Thread
Did people mention it in the comments?

I did, it was not a pleasant spot to begin with, located in a weedy area behind a store. Fortunately for us, there was no one in the area when we went to find the box. As we were leaving to go back to the car, we saw the private property signs laying on the ground. If I hadn't been with Three FLAmigo's, I never would have gone into that area alone.
Reply to: #978775 by Janila
Aug 25, 2019 6:59am
Thread
Thank you for the tip about Greenwood. It is about thirty-five minutes from our resort, so we may make a trip over there.

Also, based on the comments, I already decided not to search for that other box.
Aug 25, 2019 12:41pm
Thread
At one time there was a planter in the Orlando area who was planting boxes in the ugliest places possible. The theme was intended to show man's ruination of the environment. While I appreciate the point, I couldn't stand the boxes. I found a couple of them before I realized what the point was. "Why the ##$% would anyone plant a box here?" Scratched that series right clean off my to-find list.
Reply to: #978790 by Kirbert
Aug 26, 2019 5:35am
Thread
I am not sure if I want to laugh or hmmm. It is an interesting idea. I have been known to avoid boxes because I do not care for the theme.

The guys and I did go get some of the cemetery boxes that Jamila recommended yesterday. Aside for it being so uncomfortably hot, that was an enjoyable search.