A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Florida

Re: Happy AQ Day to DS
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #970510 by carry on grandma
Jan 22, 2019 5:49pm
Thread
Happy AQ Day! I’ve been out of the loop but hope to change that soon and box with you!
February Box of the Month
Feb 3, 2019 5:29am
February's Box of the Month is out and awaiting visitors! It will be available until February 26th. It is a great carve by shooz, so don't miss it!

BB
Robin Hood in Ocala National Forest Event
Mar 4, 2019 7:52am
Thread
As Three FLAmigo's and I have been finishing up all of the details for the Robin Hood in Ocala National Forest Event being held on Saturday, March 9, we realized that we have received so many stamps from fellow letterboxers that we are expanding our plantings outside of the original planned resort area. And since there will now be many boxes on the local trails in addition to those in the resort, we realized that we can accomodate more than the original 25 attendees. So, if the fact that we had reached our limit had stopped you from signing up previously, please feel free to sign up now. The weather is looking good, the stamps are terrific and we welcome additional people.

Just one request, if you would like to come, please sign up, drop ins won't be admitted. The meeting spot for the event is in a private resort and we will need to know who is attending ahead of time so we can inform the guards that you will be a guest otherwise, you will not be able to enter.

Thanks, and hope to see you Saturday!
Re: Robin Hood in Ocala National Forest Event
Reply to: #972337 by Janila
Mar 4, 2019 8:52am
Thread
Yesssss, what Janila said!

And Saturday is calling for a high of only 80, we could not ask for a better Florida Winter Day!

Today is not looking too shabby either so fixin to go out and hit the trail to plant just a couple more boxes...

Happy Boxing!
March Box of the Month
Mar 5, 2019 2:17pm
March's Box of the Month by Seekers Too is out and awaiting visitors!

This box will NOT be available on Saturday, March 9th as I will have it with me at the Robin Hood Gather. Yes, you're welcome.

BB
Re: Robin Hood in Ocala National Forest Event
Reply to: #972337 by Janila
Mar 8, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
I am excited to meet boxers in Florida. I moved to FL almost 4 years ago now!!!
Visiting Mickey Mouse!
Mar 11, 2019 7:10pm
Thread
We will be visiting at the end of March. Going to see Mickey. I'm looking to letterbox on one of our days away from the parks. Any suggestions on boxes we should definitely look for? Thanks!
Re: Visiting Mickey Mouse!
Reply to: #972583 by tybec
Mar 12, 2019 10:26am
Thread
I have been told that Antisocial Veggie's boxes in Ormond Beach are an experience. I am planning a weekend trip to find these myself in the near future.
Re: Visiting Mickey Mouse!
Reply to: #972583 by tybec
Mar 23, 2019 7:07am
Thread
Any box by Janila or ThreeFLAmigos is good! Also, I have a box of the month box, but it may be gone by the time you get here. I only have one other box planted so far in Florida which is in Kissimmee.

BB
Last day!
Mar 27, 2019 4:28am
Today’s the last day for the box of the month! Get this amazing carve while you can!
April Box of the Month
Mar 30, 2019 1:11pm
April’s Box of the month is out and awaiting visitors! It will be out until the end of the day on the 27th!

BB
Sistema boxes
Apr 9, 2019 8:59am
Thread
Where can I get Sistema boxes inexpensively down here? I'm on the lookout for all new stores, since all of the places I used to shop up north haven't made it to FL yet.

Thanks!
BB
Re: Sistema boxes
Reply to: #973996 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 9, 2019 10:16am
Thread
Walmart is the cheapest I've found here in texaS.
Reply to: #974002 by photopam
Apr 9, 2019 11:03am
Thread
Home Goods if you have one. Occasional Dollar General has them.
Apr 9, 2019 11:29am
Thread
We get ours at Target.
Apr 9, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
I found some at Ollie's Bargain store!
Apr 9, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
TJ Maxx
Apr 10, 2019 8:24am
Thread
Are these the latest in rubbermaids, BB? No Ocean State Job Lots in FL, so are these similar?
Reply to: #974025 by sojourner
Apr 10, 2019 8:26am
Thread
It is what a lot of people use down here. They’re not bad. I still like lock n lock best but it’s very hard to find. All of my spare lock n locks are in storage so I’m trying to find something that I can use until I can get those out of storage.
Apr 11, 2019 5:55am
Thread
We occasionally find sales on them at Aldi or Meijer stores if those stores are available to you.
Reply to: #974038 by TeachJR
Apr 11, 2019 1:13pm
Thread
Ok so while I was out letterboxing today, I stopped by Ollie’s in Eustis to get the Sistema boxes they had on sale. However, I ended up finding something that may be just as good for less $! They look like Lock n Locks but are about $1.25 each! The brand name is PAC-it Fresh. They look sturdy and seem to stay closed and locked very well (so far). Can’t wait to paint these up and try them out in the wild!
Reply to: #974053 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 11, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
I was very excited to see a huge lot of Sistema boxes on craigslist for cheapcheapcheap but it was the microwave ones with the vent on the top, no good for boxing.

Warrior Woman
disappointed in RI
Reply to: #974053 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 11, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
They look like Lock n Locks but are about $1.25 each!

Unfortunately, some of what makes these boxes good or bad is not readily visible. I used some cheap knockoffs for a while because they tested great, didn't leak when submerged in the bathtub, etc. But the problems arose after they had been in the field for a couple of years when the blue rubber gasket in the groove crumbled and fell out in chunks. Apparently blue silicone costs more than cheap blue rubber.

We long recommended Lock 'N Locks *by name* because long experience had shown them to be very reliable. But they're pretty hard to find any more, so we're in the process of settling on some other brands. The Sistema containers look good so far, but I dunno if they've been in use long enough to know for sure.
Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Apr 12, 2019 8:47am
Thread
I have a friend down there who is excited to try letterboxing, and she would like to connect with another boxer. Are any of you near Deerfield Beach and willing to help a newbie get started?
Re: Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Reply to: #974084 by RDHG
Apr 20, 2019 12:18pm
Thread
There’s a few of us scattered between western palm beach (southern oracle), Broward (not sure who’s still active, but Ms Cherry is there) Dade (me).

We’re pretty thin here in south Florida. :(
Apr 21, 2019 5:21am
Thread
How far are you from Vero Beach? Found three stamps there last weekend! All were great and in good shape!

BB
Apr 22, 2019 6:33am
Thread
Merritt Island is a solid 2.5 hours north of Deerfield Beach but if she ever heads our way I'd be happy to take her on a boxing tour here on the Space Coast.
Three FLAmigos
BOTM for April
Apr 24, 2019 1:08pm
Hey everyone! The Box of the Month for April will be out until Sunday night! It goes to it's next destination on Monday morning, so come out and grab this quick box while you can!

BB
Apr 25, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
Thank you for your responses. I told her that the area is kind of scarce for letterboxers, so having a new player in the area could be a welcome thing. 😃
May Box of the Month now available!
May 6, 2019 5:40am
May's Box of the Month is SOOOO sweet and will be out until the 28th of May! Come on by and get your special sweet!

BB