Jun 15, 2019 2:25pm
Thread
Moana box 5 is also alive and well.
Re: sleeping giant box updates
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #976363 by DevilinDog
Jun 17, 2019 7:24pm
Thread
Toonces the Driving Cat: Found, relocated. Vegetation changed dramatically so the clues did not work at all.
Sleeping Giant State Park: Found
Will You? Found, everything OK
Sky 2015 Memories (bonus): Retired. Looked again, hard, this baby is really buried somewhere around the fall tree I guess.
Tarka the Otter (Red Circle Trail): Found (two boxes). A limb fell near box #2 I plan to cut, until then finders will just need to make due.
Re: green checks
Reply to: #975829 by burning feet
Jun 20, 2019 7:05pm
Thread
!!! I just realized the same thing while recording boxes from the event I attended this weekend. Thank you, Ryan!!!!
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Reply to: #976300 by Hurcher
Jun 22, 2019 6:40pm
Thread
I wish I could help you guys check on the boxes. Living in a letterbox wasteland is no fun! No one even comes for the BOTM here.

BB
Sunny Valley Preserve Blue Trail
Jul 15, 2019 3:11pm
Thread
I'd be interested to know if people who have hiked this trail agree with this evaluation of the trail. This person seems to be saying it is a relatively easy hike? But I think their idea of easy might be different than my old lady's version of easy. So I'm curious what different people think.

https://theairlandandsea.com/2019/01/sunny-valley-preserve-trail-guide.html

MM
thx
Re: Sunny Valley Preserve Blue Trail
Reply to: #977310 by MissMoon
Jul 15, 2019 4:11pm
Thread
Hi there !

Im the author of that blog and my aim was to make these trails accessible to all with parking info etc that seems to be lacking online

Shona and I hiked this trail with our Mother In Law who is anything but sporty. The trail is as I describe. No major hills, no major rocky scrambles and well worth a visit ! Bring your bug spray !

Kind regards

L-S
:)
Reply to: #977310 by MissMoon
Jul 15, 2019 4:46pm
Thread
This person seems to be saying it is a relatively easy hike? But I think their idea of easy might be different than my old lady's version of easy. So I'm curious what different people think.

I recently did all the CFPA trails that are part of the Sunny Valley Preserve system, and I thought the trails described were pretty moderate for CFPA trails. There are ups and downs which can be tiring, but nothing dramatic. No rock scrambles that I recall. No cliffs or mountains to scale or butt slides. Compared to a rail-trail, it is much more difficult. But compared to some other CFPA trails, it's relatively easy.
Reply to: #977312 by Theairlandandsea
Jul 15, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
Thank you. Old ladies with back and foot issues are always curious about these kinds of things. :)

You just joined AQ today??

I actually found a couple of interactive maps that show some parking at different points on the trail other than the southern entrance at #100 and the northern end. Did you actually encounter those parking spots along the way? I was wondering how close to the trail they actually are.

MM
Reply to: #977313 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 15, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
Thank you for the input. Appreciate it!
Reply to: #977314 by MissMoon
Jul 16, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
I actually found a couple of interactive maps that show some parking at different points on the trail other than the southern entrance at #100 and the northern end. Did you actually encounter those parking spots along the way? I was wondering how close to the trail they actually are.

For one of my hikes I parked on the east end and that hike was confusing in places and not so well marked. Near the beginning you're following an old woods road, and the trail goes left off of the road to follow the edge of a field, but there are no markings for that turn. I only knew to take the turn because I had CFPA's online map on my phone. I did report that to CFPA. The west side closer to Lake Zoar is better marked and appears to be used more.
Reply to: #977343 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 17, 2019 1:06pm
Thread
Thanks again.