A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #976300 by Hurcher
Jun 13, 2019 7:19am
Thread
Hmmm, I had other plans but I do have Friday off. Anyone else thinking of going there tomorrow?
Jun 13, 2019 7:20am
Thread
Who’s in? I have tomorrow off to check on some.
Jun 13, 2019 8:00am
Thread
I'm in! I get out of work at 2 and I work in New Haven!
Reply to: #976306 by Brandy
Jun 13, 2019 11:38am
Thread
I'm in! I get out of work at 2 and I work in New Haven!

Tentative plan is to meet about 2:00 pm on Friday at the main entrance to Sleeping Giant. From there we'll be checking on Toonces at the bottom of the Quarry, then up the head on the Blue Trail, checking on Eye of Canada, then to the Tower Trail and follow the Tower Trail to the Tower, checking on the Sky 2015 bonus and Sleeping Giant State Park. From there who knows, possibly following Blue to Violet to check on Tarka the Otter. After that, any route back will work.

There are other boxes along this route, so if anyone wants to join us and can remember what boxes are in these areas, please feel free to print out the clues and we can take a look.

If you can't get there by 2:00, just follow our route because depending on conditions around the box locations, we might be pretty slow and you can catch up.

I'm going to bring a handsaw and pruners in case some trees are in the way, which sounds likely. I'd recommend bringing tools if you've got them.
Reply to: #976313 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 13, 2019 12:20pm
Thread
I’m not sure about my work schedule & I definitely have to be ready to sing at an evening service, so I don’t think I can make it... but if you could possibly check on my Sky 2015: Little Green Sprout, I’d be much obliged!

Kitkat
Reply to: #976314 by Kit Kat 61
Jun 13, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
but if you could possibly check on my Sky 2015: Little Green Sprout, I’d be much obliged

Will do! I did notice that box is listed as 'retired' rather than 'unavailable'. When I see 'retired' I think it's done forever and probably missing and wouldn't think to check it after the storm. I switched all my Giant boxes back to 'active' with a note at the top of the clues saying I don't know if the boxes are accessible after the big storm.
Reply to: #976319 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 13, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
Oh bother—I thought I had marked it unavailable. Hopefully I can change it now! Thanks!
Re: Moving to Connecticut!
Reply to: #976114 by Teeker
Jun 13, 2019 2:54pm
Thread
Thank you! We are looking forward to it!
Reply to: #976324 by Kit Kat 61
Jun 13, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
You know I thought that mine were unknown too, but all of mine in The Giant were Retired also.
Reply to: #976326 by cooledcoyote
Jun 13, 2019 4:49pm
Thread
Unavailable boxes are automatically retired after a year. Were your boxes unavailable for more than a year?
Reply to: #976329 by ArnoldZiffel
Jun 13, 2019 4:58pm
Thread
13 months the Park was closed so, yeah.
Jun 14, 2019 3:45am
Thread
Good luck today!! Looking forward to some posting a report of the boxes checked on and their status.
Reply to: #976329 by ArnoldZiffel
Jun 14, 2019 5:33am
Thread
Unavailable boxes are automatically retired after a year. Were your boxes unavailable for more than a year?

Ahhh, that makes sense. I had edited my clues a couple months ago, so that must have prevented them from getting auto-retired.
Jun 14, 2019 5:37am
Thread
We are still in school and then have a flag day ceremony to be ready for. We will be out and about Monday though!!
sleeping giant box updates
Jun 14, 2019 3:43pm
Thread
I'm going to start this list of boxes that have been checked on at Sleeping Giant. I didn't see the earlier post today about people going to the park to check boxes or I would have joined in, but I did go and start checking some boxes. I think it would be helpful if, once checked, we add to the list of boxes at the Giant. I hope you'll all agree and list boxes as you check them.
Box Q5 of the Q series AQ Box #88610 checked and available
Box Q6 of the Q series AQ box 88610 checked and available
Box Q 9 of the series AQ box 88610 missing
Texas State Stamp LBNA 13472 checked and available
Ogham hole plug C AQ Box #202518 checked and available
A very good year AQ Box #3794 checked and available
Charlotte's Web hitchhiker hostel box 182734 available (with a hitchhiker too!)
Box 3 of the 12 for 12 series AQ Box #211642 checked and available
Hobbomock's BBQ part of Sleeping Giant LbNA # 9217 series is available
Say It With Flowers LbNA # 12632 area is so covered with blowdowns I could not find the box.
Re: sleeping giant box updates
Reply to: #976363 by DevilinDog
Jun 14, 2019 4:57pm
Thread
Cooledcoyote and I were at the other end. The top of the head is surprisingly fine. A few blowdowns but not much. But along the Tower Trail at the higher elevations there are areas where a LOT of trees have blown over, so much so that the view is actually much better as you're walking along the trail. I rather liked it.

Toonces the Driving Cat: Couldn't find, but not related to the storm damage. Overgrown vegetation. EDIT: Found, relocated.
Eye of Canada: OK, but one of "two trees hugging" is down.
Sky 2015: Little Green Sprout - buried under new boulders at the edge of the Tower Trail (anything on the edge of the Tower Trail is likely to be lost)
Sky 2015 Memories (bonus): Couldn't find, but it's likely there buried. Large tree it was next to was uprooted.
Reply to: #976365 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 14, 2019 5:11pm
Thread
Moana 1,2,3 ok although 2’s tree has fallen and box is now at base of tree at waist level. Box 4 major tree damage and what I believe was the ; sister split apart on ground, did not find box, did not attempt box 5 at this time. Quiet on the Set Funnymen missing, QOTS Columbo, Sleeping Giant Hobbomock Wandering Mind and Singing Harp ok, Brain Freeze is missing but not storm related. Pixie Hollow Clank also covered in rubble debris on side on trail so retired.
Reply to: #976313 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 15, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
I just did the Moana series on the orange trail. I couldn’t find #4. I think I was at the right tree but it was uprooted. I looked all around it but never found a box. The others are in good shape!
Reply to: #976366 by cooledcoyote
Jun 15, 2019 2:25pm
Thread
Moana box 5 is also alive and well.
Reply to: #976363 by DevilinDog
Jun 17, 2019 7:24pm
Thread
Toonces the Driving Cat: Found, relocated. Vegetation changed dramatically so the clues did not work at all.
Sleeping Giant State Park: Found
Will You? Found, everything OK
Sky 2015 Memories (bonus): Retired. Looked again, hard, this baby is really buried somewhere around the fall tree I guess.
Tarka the Otter (Red Circle Trail): Found (two boxes). A limb fell near box #2 I plan to cut, until then finders will just need to make due.
Re: green checks
Reply to: #975829 by burning feet
Jun 20, 2019 7:05pm
Thread
!!! I just realized the same thing while recording boxes from the event I attended this weekend. Thank you, Ryan!!!!
Jun 22, 2019 6:40pm
Thread
I wish I could help you guys check on the boxes. Living in a letterbox wasteland is no fun! No one even comes for the BOTM here.

BB
Sunny Valley Preserve Blue Trail
Jul 15, 2019 3:11pm
Thread
I'd be interested to know if people who have hiked this trail agree with this evaluation of the trail. This person seems to be saying it is a relatively easy hike? But I think their idea of easy might be different than my old lady's version of easy. So I'm curious what different people think.

https://theairlandandsea.com/2019/01/sunny-valley-preserve-trail-guide.html

MM
thx
Re: Sunny Valley Preserve Blue Trail
Reply to: #977310 by MissMoon
Jul 15, 2019 4:11pm
Thread
Hi there !

Im the author of that blog and my aim was to make these trails accessible to all with parking info etc that seems to be lacking online

Shona and I hiked this trail with our Mother In Law who is anything but sporty. The trail is as I describe. No major hills, no major rocky scrambles and well worth a visit ! Bring your bug spray !

Kind regards

L-S
:)
Reply to: #977310 by MissMoon
Jul 15, 2019 4:46pm
Thread
This person seems to be saying it is a relatively easy hike? But I think their idea of easy might be different than my old lady's version of easy. So I'm curious what different people think.

I recently did all the CFPA trails that are part of the Sunny Valley Preserve system, and I thought the trails described were pretty moderate for CFPA trails. There are ups and downs which can be tiring, but nothing dramatic. No rock scrambles that I recall. No cliffs or mountains to scale or butt slides. Compared to a rail-trail, it is much more difficult. But compared to some other CFPA trails, it's relatively easy.
Reply to: #977312 by Theairlandandsea
Jul 15, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
Thank you. Old ladies with back and foot issues are always curious about these kinds of things. :)

You just joined AQ today??

I actually found a couple of interactive maps that show some parking at different points on the trail other than the southern entrance at #100 and the northern end. Did you actually encounter those parking spots along the way? I was wondering how close to the trail they actually are.

MM
Reply to: #977313 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 15, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
Thank you for the input. Appreciate it!
Reply to: #977314 by MissMoon
Jul 16, 2019 5:25pm
Thread
I actually found a couple of interactive maps that show some parking at different points on the trail other than the southern entrance at #100 and the northern end. Did you actually encounter those parking spots along the way? I was wondering how close to the trail they actually are.

For one of my hikes I parked on the east end and that hike was confusing in places and not so well marked. Near the beginning you're following an old woods road, and the trail goes left off of the road to follow the edge of a field, but there are no markings for that turn. I only knew to take the turn because I had CFPA's online map on my phone. I did report that to CFPA. The west side closer to Lake Zoar is better marked and appears to be used more.
Reply to: #977343 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 17, 2019 1:06pm
Thread
Thanks again.
A frame trailer
Sep 1, 2019 12:52pm
Some of you know Blanche, my Rockwood A122 A frame camper.
I need to sell the her.
If you're even slightly interested please AQ me.