A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Christmas in Bethlehem boxes help
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #975725 by Mim
May 31, 2019 7:07pm
Thread
No.The first stamp was hand carved. A picture of a open scroll (Torah) with writing in English and Hebrew.
Reply to: #975725 by Mim
May 31, 2019 7:10pm
Thread
All of the stamps were carved.
1. A scroll
2. The holy family
3.Angel
4.lamb
5.a star
6.a crown
Reply to: #975728 by Celtic Roots
May 31, 2019 7:44pm
Thread
Thanks.
Then definitely not it. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Reply to: #975730 by Mim
Jun 1, 2019 5:09am
Thread
Sorry, I don’t. Good Luck with the series. Looks like some may be missing.
Reply to: #975728 by Celtic Roots
Jun 1, 2019 6:28am
Thread
I didn't imagine that she would have used a store bought stamp; she did great carves.
green checks
Jun 3, 2019 12:23pm
Thread
THE GREEN CHECKS ARE BACK!!!!!!! THANK YOU
Re: green checks
Reply to: #975829 by burning feet
Jun 4, 2019 4:44am
Thread
I feel at one with the world again. Thank you Ryan.
Reply to: #975856 by DevilinDog
Jun 4, 2019 5:55am
Thread
I feel at one with the world again.

Besides the practicality of being able to identify which boxes you've found, there is something very gratifying about seeing a check next to something you've accomplished. Does anyone else working on a daily todo list go back and add something to the list that was already completed just so you can check it off?
Reply to: #975857 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 4, 2019 8:12am
Thread
Does anyone else working on a daily todo list go back and add something to the list that was already completed just so you can check it off?

Absolutely, just this morning I had a "walk-around" list of thing to do.
As I did each item, it got a big ole check mark. Extra notes pertaining to the item were added in different color ink. (Just like green checks and notes somewhere else. Where could that be?)
Reply to: #975863 by Grrly Girl
Jun 4, 2019 12:39pm
Thread
I add things to my check off list and then leave it out for my daughter and husband to see. If I get the question what did you do today I point to it.
Jun 4, 2019 6:00pm
Thread
Of course I do that. Doesn't everyone?
Jun 5, 2019 5:49am
Thread
oh, and most importantly, if I check something off on MY list, I like to see the check marks on the list of the person I did it with!
Reply to: #975829 by burning feet
Jun 5, 2019 5:56am
Thread
Wow! Look at all the boxers that wanted the green check markes back . And I thought it was just me.
Jun 5, 2019 6:18am
Thread
Does anyone else working on a daily todo list go back and add something to the list that was already completed just so you can check it off?

Absolutely!!! How else will I know how hard I have worked?! ;-) It is quite satisfying to have a bunch of cross outs on a list or green check marks on a letterbox list. It takes so little to make me happy !!
Reply to: #975904 by DevilinDog
Jun 5, 2019 8:38am
Thread
I'm still not seeing that part. Is it because I'm not a premium member?
Re: Moving to Connecticut!
Reply to: #975607 by Dino Loves Deer
Jun 9, 2019 11:23am
Thread
I'm next door in Meriden where there's a box behind EVERY tree and EVERY rock. Not really, but that's the running gag. Hubbard Park is a good one to get lots of boxes at. Honest, there's just a fun group of people at various stages of letterboxing here in CT and Wallingford has lots of festivals, restaurants, etc. Welcome.
Sleeping Giant State Park
Jun 13, 2019 6:39am
Thread
Governor Lamont just announced Sleeping Giant State Park will reopen tomorrow! Lets go check on those boxes!
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Reply to: #976300 by Hurcher
Jun 13, 2019 7:19am
Thread
Hmmm, I had other plans but I do have Friday off. Anyone else thinking of going there tomorrow?
Jun 13, 2019 7:20am
Thread
Who’s in? I have tomorrow off to check on some.
Jun 13, 2019 8:00am
Thread
I'm in! I get out of work at 2 and I work in New Haven!
Reply to: #976306 by Brandy
Jun 13, 2019 11:38am
Thread
I'm in! I get out of work at 2 and I work in New Haven!

Tentative plan is to meet about 2:00 pm on Friday at the main entrance to Sleeping Giant. From there we'll be checking on Toonces at the bottom of the Quarry, then up the head on the Blue Trail, checking on Eye of Canada, then to the Tower Trail and follow the Tower Trail to the Tower, checking on the Sky 2015 bonus and Sleeping Giant State Park. From there who knows, possibly following Blue to Violet to check on Tarka the Otter. After that, any route back will work.

There are other boxes along this route, so if anyone wants to join us and can remember what boxes are in these areas, please feel free to print out the clues and we can take a look.

If you can't get there by 2:00, just follow our route because depending on conditions around the box locations, we might be pretty slow and you can catch up.

I'm going to bring a handsaw and pruners in case some trees are in the way, which sounds likely. I'd recommend bringing tools if you've got them.
Reply to: #976313 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 13, 2019 12:20pm
Thread
I’m not sure about my work schedule & I definitely have to be ready to sing at an evening service, so I don’t think I can make it... but if you could possibly check on my Sky 2015: Little Green Sprout, I’d be much obliged!

Kitkat
Reply to: #976314 by Kit Kat 61
Jun 13, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
but if you could possibly check on my Sky 2015: Little Green Sprout, I’d be much obliged

Will do! I did notice that box is listed as 'retired' rather than 'unavailable'. When I see 'retired' I think it's done forever and probably missing and wouldn't think to check it after the storm. I switched all my Giant boxes back to 'active' with a note at the top of the clues saying I don't know if the boxes are accessible after the big storm.
Reply to: #976319 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 13, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
Oh bother—I thought I had marked it unavailable. Hopefully I can change it now! Thanks!
Re: Moving to Connecticut!
Reply to: #976114 by Teeker
Jun 13, 2019 2:54pm
Thread
Thank you! We are looking forward to it!
Reply to: #976324 by Kit Kat 61
Jun 13, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
You know I thought that mine were unknown too, but all of mine in The Giant were Retired also.
Reply to: #976326 by cooledcoyote
Jun 13, 2019 4:49pm
Thread
Unavailable boxes are automatically retired after a year. Were your boxes unavailable for more than a year?
Reply to: #976329 by ArnoldZiffel
Jun 13, 2019 4:58pm
Thread
13 months the Park was closed so, yeah.
Jun 14, 2019 3:45am
Thread
Good luck today!! Looking forward to some posting a report of the boxes checked on and their status.
Reply to: #976329 by ArnoldZiffel
Jun 14, 2019 5:33am
Thread
Unavailable boxes are automatically retired after a year. Were your boxes unavailable for more than a year?

Ahhh, that makes sense. I had edited my clues a couple months ago, so that must have prevented them from getting auto-retired.