A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Sky 2019
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #971793 by PuggleMom
Feb 19, 2019 2:46pm
Thread
Barn Island has already been claimed! As have Rocky Neck, Harkness, American Legion/Peoples Forests, and Dennis Hill! So--five down, and I have not claimed one yet. I will definitely do so by March 1. Also, if anyone wants to consider planting a bonus, that would be really awesome--the last few years, Trailhead Tessie has placed a WOM box at one of the sites, with clues available to those who planted part of the series and/or complete at least 10 of the hikes...
Unlisted boxes in logbook
Feb 23, 2019 1:49am
Thread
Does anyone know where the unlisted boxes go now? For example an lbna only box that i just recorded is not in my newest finds. And where did the green checks go??
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Reply to: #972011 by burning feet
Feb 23, 2019 7:13am
Thread
We do a lot of boxes from other letterboxing sites which equates to a huge number of unlisted finds......can't find our either but at least the AQ boxes we found recently that weren't showing up are now showing?????

Let me know if you figure this one out?
Reply to: #972011 by burning feet
Feb 23, 2019 7:16am
Thread
When you are in your logbook, select Unlisted Finds instead of Finds. Essentially they are 2 separate lists now.
Reply to: #972030 by roo
Feb 23, 2019 7:39am
Thread
Well, I found the Unlisted Finds drop down but as I tried to get it to load it automatically jumps over to the normal finds. The information was useful but ultimately unsuccessful. Thank you though!
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread
Scratch that, I tried it one more time and it worked!! Thank you for pointing this out!
Feb 23, 2019 1:35pm
Thread
When you are in your logbook, select Unlisted Finds instead of Finds. Essentially they are 2 separate lists now.

What?! Noooooooooo... why?? That makes as much sense as carrying around two logbooks in the field and stamping AQ listed stamps in one logbook and all other stamps in the other logbook.
Reply to: #972046 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 23, 2019 2:36pm
Thread
Apparently the unlisted finds slows computing down. I understand that perhaps a premium benefit may be to have the ability to have a combined logbook, which makes sense since entering unlisted finds is a premium feature except on hat day.
Reply to: #972032 by Public Hand
Feb 23, 2019 3:06pm
Thread
that does work for me
Reply to: #972048 by Wronghat
Feb 23, 2019 3:54pm
Thread
I understand that perhaps a premium benefit may be to have the ability to have a combined logbook, which makes sense since entering unlisted finds is a premium feature except on hat day.

I've been a premium member for years...but I'm not seeing a combined logbook.
Reply to: #972059 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 23, 2019 6:59pm
Thread
not any more
Reply to: #972048 by Wronghat
Feb 24, 2019 7:12am
Thread
It seems like you need to select Unlisted finds, try to get the list, it bumps you to regular Finds (i.e. fails), then the second time you try it, it works.

I do kind of like the separate listings, but adding the 'combined' option would be really fantastic!
Reply to: #972084 by SherlockMiles
Feb 24, 2019 7:17am
Thread
I still dont like it. I want them together with the other boxes I found that day. and I want the green checks back so that when I compare my logbook with who I hiked with I can see what I miss. we frequently record finds off the others logbook especially when we travel far and the driver cant record on the way home like the passengers can.
Reply to: #972085 by burning feet
Feb 24, 2019 7:22am
Thread
I'm not sure I understand the green check issue.

Do you mean that if you look at someone else's logbook, green check marks indicating that you also found the box are not showing up?
Reply to: #972086 by SherlockMiles
Feb 24, 2019 8:05am
Thread
exactly!
Feb 24, 2019 8:28am
Thread
Welp, too bad. People complained so much about the changes and how it wasn’t like THEIR logbook, so he just made it like a bare-bones version of HIS logbook, and his logbook doesn’t have none of that stuff. Maybe he’ll put it in as a premium member option when he gets back from his hiking trip. Maybe.
Feb 24, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
I agree, the green checks make it so much easier to know if I logged all my finds when I can compare with someone else.
honestly, some of these changes are not at all helpful or useful. the numbering, the checks, the unlisted boxes. what was the point?
Marching Through Georgia: re-carved and re-planted
Mar 13, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
I have finally re-carved and re-planted Sherman's Neck Tie (Martial Music,War of the Rebellion: Marching Through Georgia). The stamp is the same image, but the 'box is in a new location. And hopefully it's more secure than the last plant site.
I'm surprised the first iteration lasted as long as it did...

The weather is improving, 'box on!
YOS, Connfederate
Re: Marching Through Georgia: re-carved and re-planted
Reply to: #972659 by Connfederate
Mar 13, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
You stirred up many good memories. A Connfederate plant was always a great adventure!!!
Reply to: #972660 by Rubaduc
Mar 13, 2019 2:48pm
Thread
Hey Now, Duc!

I have some fine memories from finding some of your many 'boxes! Thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from you.
Reply to: #972659 by Connfederate
Mar 13, 2019 3:50pm
Thread
My daughters and I are going to need to try for this now!

Thank you!
Reply to: #972086 by SherlockMiles
Mar 17, 2019 9:53am
Thread
did anyone get the green check marks back? I still don't see them when I look at someone else's log book.
I REALLY liked knowing if I had the same boxes....
I REALLY liked the green check marks.
who knew a simple check could make me so happy. After a big event like the Pi day event, it's really easy to know if I forgot a box or if I didn't know the name of a stamp by looking at someone else's log book.
Reply to: #972790 by DevilinDog
Mar 17, 2019 9:57am
Thread
I don't have them. I agree- it is really helpful to have them.
Mar 17, 2019 4:57pm
Thread
i dont have them either and it sucks. maybe we should email ryan
Mar 17, 2019 6:44pm
Thread
I get the green checks on search pages. Do a search and put yourself as planter and see if they show.
Reply to: #972822 by Wronghat
Mar 18, 2019 6:37pm
Thread
but I need them on other peoples logbooks
Reply to: #972862 by burning feet
Mar 18, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
So do an advanced search. There is a place for putting in the name of finder. All the boxes found by that person will appear if the logbook isn't locked.
Reply to: #972867 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 2:14am
Thread
they come up in alphabetical order not newest found
Reply to: #972867 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 9:46am
Thread
So do an advanced search.

The advanced search option is frequently advocated as a basic logbook tool by people who don't live in a small area with thousands of boxes. There are so many search results in Connecticut when we do a search for just one town, or even one park, that the info we're looking for is buried.

Example: I just did a search of Berlin, CT (10 mile distance), including only active and unknown boxes and got 562 boxes listed. If I was trying to find the listing for a box I found a few years ago, then I would include all the retired boxes, which brings the number up to 820 boxes (there does not appear to be an option to search only the boxes I've found). There are certainly many more boxes on LBNA not listed on AQ, because that is common in Connecticut. And there may be some other boxes not listed on either website (eg the CT DEEP's State Forest boxes). So there are basically about 1000 boxes in a ten mile radius to sift through.

When the search results are potentially hundreds or thousands of boxes (excluding unlisted boxes), it's not as helpful as you might think. Just keep that in mind if you live in a location with fewer boxes where most of those boxes are listed on AQ. What works in your area might not work somewhere else.
Reply to: #972874 by burning feet
Mar 19, 2019 1:59pm
Thread
they come up in alphabetical order not newest found

There is a slot on the advanced search page for choosing how to sort the letterboxes--including newest found.