A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Southford Falls in Oxford CT
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #941561 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 6, 2017 10:46am
Thread
Hi I found your message in the plastic container in the stone wall behind a rock close to rt 67! How long has it been there? Did anyone else ever find it? Thanks

More info please. We have no idea what you're talking about.

Thx

Appears to be a friendly noxer trying to make contact regarding a box they came across in Oxford, CT. Perhaps one of the experienced CT boxers could give this person some guidance.
Reply to: #941563 by dingus dufus
Feb 6, 2017 11:59am
Thread
I am a CT boxer, and many of us have responded to this person asking what box they're talking about, but they keep posting.

BB
Reply to: #941563 by dingus dufus
Feb 6, 2017 1:18pm
Thread
Appears to be a friendly noxer trying to make contact regarding a box they came across in Oxford, CT. Perhaps one of the experienced CT boxers could give this person some guidance.

scroll up.
Reply to: #941580 by MissMoon
Feb 6, 2017 1:44pm
Thread
scroll up.

Scrollin', scrollin' scrollin'!
Re: Sky's the Limit 2017
Reply to: #941460 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 8, 2017 7:44am
Thread
After sleeping on it I relocated my Sky 2017 Putnam Park box to a less traveled and a little hike lication. Sorry for any reprinting if clues, just make sure you have the new one. .
Snowboxing Shelton
Feb 8, 2017 5:49pm
Thread
The Snowboxing Shelton box has been replanted in anticipation of actual snow. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=250272
Re: Snowboxing Shelton
Reply to: #941685 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 8, 2017 6:52pm
Thread
Duly noted.
Advice/Help
Feb 10, 2017 10:31am
Thread
So I have a question/favor regarding carving a person's face. My Grandpa recently passed away and next Friday/Saturday we are having a celebration of his life as well as my Grandma's birthday. I want to carve a stamp in his memory and plant it up in Milton, MA where the celebration will take place. My question is what is the best way to carve a person's face, as I am not the best, but would also like to try and not mess this up. I am also open to the idea of someone has time on their hands and would like to carve it. I know its last minute, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Mattyfungos
Re: Advice/Help
Reply to: #941739 by mattyfungos
Feb 10, 2017 10:42am
Thread
Feb 10, 2017 11:36am
Thread
The most important thing is starting with a good image.

The previous reply suggests using Photoshop to render the image, which many others have touted.
Many folks have also used GIMP, and there was one reply in the boards recommending Stencilgram.
I've used Adobe Capture (on my smartphone) to good effect, but I'm not sure anyone else has tried it.

If you search the boards for any of the keywords above, you'll get some good info.

good luck!
Show Your Love for Sports Gather POSTPONED
Feb 10, 2017 1:20pm
Just in case you haven't heard, the Show Your Love for Sports Gather has been postponed until 2/18/17!

Hope to see you guys then!

BB
Box of the Month for February
Feb 10, 2017 1:25pm
Received today, however, with the 18+ inches of snow we got, there's no way you'd be able to retrieve it from it's normal hiding place. Until Monday, I'm going to have it in my mailbox at #59. Hope I can find a better way of hiding it!

BB
Feb 11, 2017 4:33am
Thread
I have an old post on my blog about portrait carving. it may help. https://thespeckledrose.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/converting-and-transferring-photos/

I found you have trouble, I can help you convert an image for carving if you want to email me your pic. I have had more practice since that post. :)
Feb 12, 2017 8:01am
Thread
Stencilgram does a pretty good job at converting photos to carvable images. Free and super easy.

http://stencilgram.com
Saturday's Gather and Marlborough's BOTM
Feb 14, 2017 3:58am
Thread
The weather's looking good for Saturday's gather! I hope you all can come!

Just an FYI, the Box of the Month in Marlborough will be moved for Saturday ONLY. The box will be available at the event, and not at my house. This is to avoid frustration over the box being missing from it's location when people stop by because people are stamping in down the street. Make it easy on yourselves. Stamp into it at the event!

If anyone has raffle prizes or event stamps and they can no longer come on Saturday, please let me know. I'll be happy to figure something out on how to get them to the event.

Thanks!

BB
Re: Saturday's Gather and Marlborough's BOTM
Reply to: #941857 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 14, 2017 4:29am
Thread
I did carve a couple of event stamps, but I have conflicts this Saturday. I'm in Chester, if anyone has thoughts!
A cautionary tale
Feb 14, 2017 3:10pm
Thread
My lovely little local library, Chester Public Library, recently got a new librarian. Our previous librarian had been very excited when I wanted to place a letterbox there, going so far as to actually create a book box for me to use. Unfortunately, she failed to share this information with the new librarian. I learned this past week, from someone who attempted the box, that while doing inventory, the new librarian found it, didn't know what it was, and apparently disposed of it :-( I went in to confirm this story--sure enough, shelves have been rearranged, and when I asked, the librarian said she was going through and getting rid of things :-( I promptly pulled my remaining two boxes there, one of which was a bonus box to My Favorite Author--which I told her I was sad about as it had meant a lot to me. Didn't get a very positive response. Don't expect to spend a lot of time there in the days to come!

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I guess my point was--if you have boxes within establishments which change hands, be sure to check on your boxes!

≥KitKat≤
Re: A cautionary tale
Reply to: #941877 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 14, 2017 3:44pm
Thread
Glad you were able to recover your other boxes before they too went missing.
Feb 14, 2017 5:16pm
Thread
That's really too bad - it was a nice library and those were great boxes!

Maybe you can come up north an exit or 2 and plant them at our Brainerd Library in Haddam.
Reply to: #941887 by SherlockMiles
Feb 14, 2017 7:16pm
Thread
I've been thinking about that library for a while...
Feb 15, 2017 2:03am
Thread
This happened to me with a box that I had at a nature center. A 3 layered stamp that took me many hours. It had all my contact info in it. I had no idea they got a new park ranger. So once he took over, he decided that since there were no finders in a year, he would throw it out. Didn't even call or email me, and I had that written inside the box. He told an inquirer that I should have checked in with him. Hard to do, when I had no idea.

If your box has few finders, I suggest stopping by every 3 months or so. But I know I wouldn't want to do that, so I am unlikely to ever offer another indoor box.
Reply to: #941858 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 15, 2017 2:15pm
Thread
I should be able to quickly stop by Middletown first thing Friday AM, if you want to leave the stamp on your car or something. Are you still working in Middletown?

P
Feb 15, 2017 2:36pm
Thread
Thanks for sharing the cautionary tale as I'm preparing to plant a 7 box series at my local library. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on the management and any changes.
Reply to: #941924 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 15, 2017 4:49pm
Thread
Haven't worked in Middletown in years--where are you heading? Maybe I can meet you somewhere?
Reply to: #941931 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 17, 2017 1:05am
Thread
Salem via Portland at 8:15am
Reply to: #941981 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 17, 2017 6:10am
Thread
Oops--just saw this. Oh well, guess my stamps won't be making it. Have fun! Oh--sorry, also no trifle or pathtags. Maybe next year...

KitKat
Thank You Bungalow Boxer
Feb 18, 2017 2:11pm
Thread
Thanks BB for another fine Connecticut gather. It was a perfect meet to break the winter doldrums. Great to see our special friends from out of state as well!
Re: Thank You Bungalow Boxer
Reply to: #942017 by Celtic Roots
Feb 18, 2017 4:34pm
Thread
Thank you for going through with this Gather after all the snow! I had a lot of laughs, and caught up with some fellow boxer's stories!
Feb 18, 2017 5:06pm
Thread
Thanks BB for another fine Connecticut gather

You sure know how to throw a party! Every detail was done beautifully! I appreciate all the work you put into this event. Thank you!
Feb 18, 2017 5:16pm
Thread
This was the first Connecticut gather for Mud and I and it was a great time! Plenty of ink and new faces to visit with. We so appreciate all your hard work to pull the event together. Thank you for a wonderful get-away over the border!!