Travel'n Turtle
Re: Happy Anniversary to Flutterby!
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #662797 by Travel'n Turtle
Dec 16, 2011 4:08am
Thread
Well done Flutterby! 7 years is quite an accomplishment. Happy Cake Day,

Travel'n Turtle

Thanks. It was 7 years of AQ, but over 8 years now letterboxing-along with my little partner who has been with me from day 1-Baby D!!!

Flutterby
Macedonia Brook State Park....
Dec 16, 2011 5:28am
Thread
While looking on maps of parks I came across: Macedonia Brook State Park in Kent/Sharon... Looked it up for letterboxes and got zip! This place is huge! Has amazing views. Here is the link to the trail map: http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/macedonia.pdf
and here's more information on it: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325234
Time to explore and plant guys!
Re: Macedonia Brook State Park....
Reply to: #662813 by LevreaultFam
Dec 16, 2011 8:07am
Thread
There's this: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=77991 and looks like 3 surviving boxes.
Dec 16, 2011 1:03pm
Thread
Thanks guys but I think this area still needs more! ;-)
Reply to: #662843 by Teeker
Dec 16, 2011 8:24pm
Thread
Kent Falls S.P. has boxes...just gotta find the clues!!! Try LbNA first...

Jonah's Whalers

PS - AT boxes are rarely posted as "traditional" boxes due to rules/guidelines about planting on a National Scenic Trail (but don't tell that to anyone that planted on the Metacomet Trail prior to being designated so...).
Dec 17, 2011 4:52am
Thread
I know there is a box there. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but we got it a few years ago while camping there.

The Quackers
Reply to: #662958 by Jonahs Whalers
Dec 17, 2011 11:54am
Thread
PS - AT boxes are rarely posted as "traditional" boxes due to rules/guidelines about planting on a National Scenic Trail (but don't tell that to anyone that planted on the Metacomet Trail prior to being designated so...).

I had no idea...will that be true of the New England Trail as well?
Hurrah!!!
Dec 17, 2011 4:11pm
Thread
Although I know that some of you crazy people are still there, I wanted to get a head start on saying THANK YOU to 2 Irish Chicks for hosting such a great event! Justin and I had an awesome time hunting around, both outside and in, for all of the amazing event boxes.

Thank you also to Teeker for all the help I know you gave them, as well as TallDave, Linda0910, Samantha Loves Jessie (I hope she feels better!), and everyone else who carved all of those wonderful boxes! And thank you to everyone who cooked! And just... yay, it was fun!

See you all next time... I'm off to try to sort these stamps out

... now where the heck are those chocolate chips?
Re: Hurrah!!!
Reply to: #663086 by Honeychyck
Dec 17, 2011 5:07pm
Thread
I would like to add to this as well and Thank not only the 2 Irish Chicks and everyone who helped make this even happen but to all the other letterboxers for making me feel like part of the "group". It was such a welcoming feeling. It was a pleasure to meet such great people that I will be looking forward to seeing sometime soon again!

Patrycja (Patty)
Reply to: #663098 by LevreaultFam
Dec 17, 2011 6:39pm
Thread
Yes, you Irish Chicks really outdid yourselves! It was such a festive stamping frenzy! The ornaments were all so creative. Thanks for bringing this idea east!
Reply to: #663117 by Mim
Dec 17, 2011 6:59pm
Thread
ditto, ditto, and.....................ditto. Thanks for a great gathering and for welcoming us to your home. I had a lot of fun and was glad I decided at the last minute to make the drive!

hugs to both the chicks!

MM...glad she didn't get pulled over on the way home because she ate a lot of rum cake. heh
Reply to: #663098 by LevreaultFam
Dec 17, 2011 7:07pm
Thread
Indeed! A lot of fun. Loved the laughs around the Christmas tree. Great food too.

"X"
Christmas stamping at Bethlehem
Dec 18, 2011 8:50am
Thread
Interesting blog post on people going to Bethlehem, CT to mail out their Christmas cards (I have some neighbors who do that). The Post Office has a bunch of custom rubber stamps made out for the occasion. Scroll down the picture with the caption: "I think this guy is a professional stamper, who just sits there stamping all day." How many of you want that job?

http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=7315
Dec 18, 2011 8:52am
Thread
Yes, thank you to 2 Irish Chicks for putting together a wonderful event!! I can't wait for next years!
Reply to: #663214 by The Flip Flopper
Dec 18, 2011 10:13am
Thread
Thank you 2 Irish Chicks for hosting a great event!! Friends, food and stamps, stamps, stamps. It was a fun event!!
Dec 18, 2011 3:11pm
Thread
Thanks 2 Irish Chicks! I had a great time!! Thanks so much for hosting!!
2011 Northeast Ornament Exchange
Dec 18, 2011 7:21pm
Thread
Another thank you to 2 Irish Chicks for yesterday's awesome ornament exchange/event. Had a wonderful time with great people! Thanks again for all your preparations and hard work!!!
Help finding a listing
Dec 19, 2011 7:18am
Thread
I was letterboxing on Friday in Northwest Park and I found three boxes by accident! Just by looking under S.P.O.R.s

Anyway, I can't find a listing for one of the boxes that I found. It was tiny, in a film canister and it was a stamp of a suit case. No logbook. There was a "K" carved into the back of the stamp

I don't think it was a hole plug, but it might have been.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking about this. If you have any ideas about what I'm talking about, please AQ mail me.
Re: Help finding a listing
Reply to: #663369 by Claudia and Alex
Dec 19, 2011 7:48am
Thread
Take a look at Operation: Spongebob. I think this is the series you want.
Re: Help finding a listing
Reply to: #663375 by PsychoKat
Dec 19, 2011 8:46am
Thread
Thank you! I think I found the correct box.
Dec 20, 2011 6:38am
Thread
It was lots of fun thinking of ideas and preparing for this event, however, it was the success that it was largely due to the fantastic group of boxers that attended the event!
Thanks to each of you for the AWESOME ornaments that you created and for the fun and laughter around the Christmas tree during the exchange, also for your happiness that filled our home...you guys are so much fun! Thanks!
Re: 2011 Northeast Ornament Exchange
Reply to: #663302 by TallDave and ThimbeLinda
Dec 20, 2011 6:40am
Thread
Thank you for your kind words....It was our pleasure!

2 Irish Chicks
Re: Christmas stamping at Bethlehem
Reply to: #663212 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 21, 2011 8:36am
Thread
Scroll down the picture with the caption: "I think this guy is a professional stamper, who just sits there stamping all day." How many of you want that job?

I am unemployed right now....
Where do I Start!?!?
Dec 26, 2011 4:42pm
Hello Connecticut Boxers!

So I'm sitting down with my post Christmas hangover, thinking to myself: "What should I do with the rest of my Christmas Vacation?" Obviously I decided to go letterboxing. Now, since I have been going to school in Vermont for the past 4 years, I haven't really checked to see who's been planting where near home and so when I just clicked my old "Near Home" search I have to say I was quite surprised. There seem to be so many new boxes that I just don't know where to start! That list sure has filled up in the time I've been gone. I'm happy to see I don't have to travel far to get boxes anymore but damn you people were busy! Thanks for planting!

Fish or man
What a find in my box!
Dec 26, 2011 5:17pm
Thread
I got a message today that one of my boxes was potentially missing. Being close to it, I drove over and checked. Thankfully I had my flashlight and it wasn't where I had planted it, so I searched the bushes and did end up finding it tossed into the center of the planter. Luckily it was not damaged but I removed it anyway to better plant during the day and do so maintenance. Also to check and see who may have been careless with my box.

Imagine my surprise when I open it and find a geocache tracker with my stamp. There is a geocache in the same location just in another planter. The person obviously didn't read my box - and also, I'm wondering HOW they found it because the geocache is huge and obvious and mine is buried and small... - but they left the trackable with my box. It started in Berlin, Germany, and is supposed to travel to New Zealand.

I've done some geocaching before - after finding this one while I was planting my box - so I logged in and reported the find which I will pass on. They reported that it was placed in the geocache. Obviously not. THANK GOD they didn't take my stamp!!! D:

Has anyone else had this happen or find something similar? I wish I could keep the trackable as it's kind of cool, but it's already come so far, I don't want the journey to end for it.
Re: What a find in my box!
Reply to: #664581 by What The Scout
Dec 26, 2011 5:22pm
Thread
Good thing you found it and the stamp was still there! I've never had my box cached, but if you read the Geocaching AQ board you'll see it definitely does happen.
Reply to: #664584 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 26, 2011 8:44pm
Thread
That is actually how I came upon letterboxes myself. My sister's children, myself and my daughter were geocaching. Well the kids are so excited sometimes we aren't quite at the geolocation and they start to search. We found a hitch hiker hotel and I had no clue what this was all about. There was this website and the owner of the HHH e-mail. So I checked it out, contacted the owner of the box to find out some more information. This was two days ago. Well tonight I went out to Michaels craft store and bought myself some brush ink pens, a carving set, log book and the rubber to make my own stamps. I hope to have a stamp carved tomorrow and to go search for my first letterbox (which by the way I picked one and know exactly where to look )

Not all geocaches even have trackables. That is the thing to find when you geocache. But like how you would not want your stamp to go missing that is the same with the trackables. The trackables are fun to see how far they will go!

I am so excited to get into letterboxing!! Maybe you should try geocaching. I love it!
Reply to: #664618 by BC Northern Lights
Dec 27, 2011 6:07am
Thread
Hello fellow geocacher! This is also how I stumbled upon letterboxing. I was searching for a geocache hybrid. Found it and became interested in letterboxing. I love letterboxing more than geocaching due to the frustrations caused by the gps. But I still do it. Glad you came aboard the letterboxing "train". See you around!