A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: $0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #660977 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Dec 8, 2011 4:44am
Thread
Now I'm gonna havta check it out next time I'm down that way - our Job Lots up here, closest to us, is somewhat of a dive too, but they are the only place around that sells the knock-off LnLs.

Think of Job Lots, but for groceries, that's Xpect. It's a very funky store, at least the one in Derby. I know a lot of people who go in there once, say, "This store is a dump!" and never go back. But they do have really good prices. A few weeks ago I picked up 2-liter Pepsi for 88 cents each. My tip is to never go on a weekend or Monday, because they get mobbed and wiped out. If you go any other time they usually have some good produce deals, but it is hit or miss. And the checkout can definitely be very long.
Re: $0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Reply to: #661055 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 8, 2011 11:38am
Thread
Cool - thanks for the info TT!
SGSP - New Guide Available
Dec 8, 2011 3:29pm
Thread
The Sleeping Giant Park Association just made the New Geology of the Giant Trail Guide available for download on its web site. It's BIG -- 89 pp. (8.1 MB). Scroll down the left side to find the link for the guide.
http://www.sgpa.org/
Enjoy!
Re: SGSP - New Guide Available
Reply to: #661189 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 8, 2011 3:44pm
Thread
The Sleeping Giant Park Association just made the New Geology of the Giant Trail Guide available for download on its web site.

Cool...the Giant really does have neat geology if you have geekish tendancies. I have to say, though, I dislike the new numbers that were recently painted all over the place.
Reply to: #661193 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 9, 2011 4:00am
Thread
They make great clue landmrks though....
Dec 9, 2011 4:16am
Thread
How exciting! No more guessing in what the numbers stand for anymore. Plus, it's new things to learn! (Yeah, I'm geeky ;-) )
Dec 9, 2011 4:21am
Thread
None of the links work for me... Anyone else having that problem?
Reply to: #661193 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 9, 2011 7:21am
Thread
if you have geekish tendancies

who? me? Perhaps, so. I'd been watching the SGPA site for months now waiting for them to post the guide ever since I stopped and talked with someone as they were painting the numbers on some of the rocks -- sometime late spring/early summer.
Reply to: #661306 by LevreaultFam
Dec 9, 2011 7:27am
Thread
None of the links work for me

hmmm... I just checked and got a page not found msg. The SGPA posted on fb yesterday that the guide was available. I wonder if too many folks tried to download the file...
Reply to: #661346 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 9, 2011 9:12am
Thread
who? me? Perhaps, so

I don't know about you, but I do! Then again, I suppose letterboxing itself is a bit geekish?
Hosting a CT event & Looking for Help
Dec 9, 2011 2:36pm
Thread
Hi CT peeps! I spoke with Eric today at the Riverbound Nature Sanctuary in Cheshire, CT to brainstorm ideas of an event that coordinates with some community service. I would LOVE to host an event and our tentative date would be Saturday, May 5, 2012. They have several indoor rooms that could be utilized for letterboxing fun, trails with 6+ boxes already planted and potential for more. Also, there are many little projects that could be done such as gardening, trimming, cleaning. And, bigger projects such as rebuilding a bird blind that fell down with the recent storm, creating a few cedar fences , improving a crumbling rock wall, and leveling the ground on walking paths that are uneven.

I would LOVE to host an event here and do some projects on that day, 12 noon - 5pm. I'm looking for someone who would be interested in helping to host or be an administrator on this event. Responsibilities would be meeting with the staff (Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society runs the property) and making projects come to be, fielding questions from attendees, moral support, etc. "Newbies" welcome to co-host. I know some of the bigger New England area events have several people in charge so I'm hoping this event will be great due to great minds working together. No need to meet before the holidays...just looking for some people to commit to helping out to various degrees depending on what you're able to give. Thanking you all in advance...

-Teeker
Re: Hosting a CT event & Looking for Help
Reply to: #661449 by Teeker
Dec 9, 2011 2:49pm
Thread
To clarify: Responsibilities would not include "all" of the above, those were just things I would potentially need help with. :-)
Reply to: #661473 by System
Dec 9, 2011 6:04pm
Thread
I couldn't get the link to work. Not sure what went wrong but it said page not found.

It seems to have stopped working sometime late last night or this morning.
Yesterday they posted on facebook on the Sleeping Giant Park Association Official page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleeping-Giant-Park-Association-SGPA-Official-Site/124405787638472
that the guide was finally available. (You may need to log into facebook to get to that page; I'm not sure.) And I was able to download it last night using the link on the official SGPA page that I gave in a prior posting. I don't see that anyone has reported problems with the link on the fb page. I don't have time to follow up right now. But I will check in periodically and post here again if I see the link is working again.
How frustrating!
Dec 9, 2011 6:27pm
Thread
We are not up that way, but I think that that is a fabulous idea! Having fun and giving back. Good for you, and I hope that you get the help that you seek. 8^)
Dec 9, 2011 9:31pm
Thread
We'll have to talk, Teek. We're a little ways away, but I might be able to help out limited-ly, but would like to help, especially with the carpentry aspects if I can. Keep me in the loop - we'll see what we can come up with.
Reply to: #661481 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 10, 2011 8:12am
Thread
The new Geology of the Giant Trail Guide is available for download on the Sleeping Giant Park Association web site. It's BIG -- 89 pp. (8.1 MB) Scroll down the left side to find the link for the guide.
http://www.sgpa.org/

I checked a few seconds ago and the link seems to be working again.
Happy Birthday Mark Pepe!!!
Dec 10, 2011 9:19am
Thread
And many more!!!
Dec 10, 2011 11:36am
Thread
I can't seem to find an address in google maps for the Sanctuary, and don't really know that area, but I would like to help out in some way or another.
Reply to: #661546 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 10, 2011 3:40pm
Thread
Yes, Guide IS big. I'm wondering of it's in book form for purchase?
Re: Happy Birthday Mark Pepe!!!
Reply to: #661558 by MVIV
Dec 10, 2011 4:49pm
Thread
Now you are old enough to go out and have a beer with us! :)

Congrats my brother! have fun on your B day!!
Reply to: #661574 by Peanut Bethy
Dec 10, 2011 10:29pm
Thread
1881 Cheshire Street in Cheshire CT :-)
Dec 12, 2011 9:08am
Thread
I wouldn't mind helping you Teeker. I live Hamden, not to far away. Let me know what I can do to help. Will love to!

Patty
1st Riverbound Project is ready!
Dec 12, 2011 1:42pm
Hello folks! I know this seems redundant...but leaf raking is something that the Riverbound Nature Sanctuary in Cheshire (1881 Cheshire St.) needs. And, there's two giant piles of wood chips ready to be spread before the ground freezes those leaves and they're stuck till spring. I went there and started raking today. They have left one wheelbarrow and two rakes at the back door of the building for us to use. Anyone who wants to stop by this week to do even just 30 minutes of volunteer work, please do!

There's a walkway from the gravel parking lot to the grassy area behind the house that needs to be raked and woodchipped. I raked about 75% of this area today. I wasn't able to get the leaves all the way to the brush piles, but they're about halfway there (in a big 'ole pile). All of the grassy area behind the house could use a raking. And, there's a path leading from the grassy area to the downed bird blind that needs to be raked, then woodchipped.

I brought work gloves, a "small" rake, and a small shovel with me today and those helped me work faster than I thought I could (but I didn't leave them there). Again, if anyone wants to stop by over the next few days to work on raking and woodchipping, please don't hesitate. Feel free to contact me this evening if you're interested and want more information. I'll be outta state tomorrow and have a few local plans Wednesday (but might go back for an hour of whatever I can do before it gets dark). If you read this message and want to help, just stop by...limited tools are there for us. Shoot me an email afterwards if you prefer. The Audubon Society likes to keep track of the # of volunteers, volunteer hours, jobs done, etc. for their stats and funding. Thanking you all in advance! -T
Skiing and Letterboxing??
Dec 12, 2011 1:43pm
Thread
Hi All-

I want to plan a ski trip for after the new year. Is there anywhere in CT that I could rent a cabin and ski and letterbox in the same trip?

Or... Do I stick to the Poconos?

Thoughts?
Re: Skiing and Letterboxing??
Reply to: #662034 by EmcSquared
Dec 12, 2011 7:24pm
Thread
Ct isn't really known for there great skiing but they do have a couple small ski resorts but not that includes rental cabins nearby. Maybe a motel. Ski Sundown or Mount Southington are probably the better ones but nothing epic. I love CT but if you're looking for skiing, it's not the place. Hope this helped.
Reply to: #662034 by EmcSquared
Dec 13, 2011 4:52am
Thread
Mark and Sue Pepe have planted a ton of letterboxes in the Mt Snow, Vermont area (about 2 hrs north of CT). But if there's enuf snow for good skiing at Mt Snow, there's also enuf snow to cover up the trails and the letterboxes really well. There are a few indoor boxes in the area, and lodges, but no winter cabins that I know of. If anyone is in that area during winter holiday weeks, look for "SnowBoxing" and come say hello.
Reply to: #662155 by MickeyMouse
Dec 13, 2011 6:00am
Thread
Mark and Sue Pepe have planted a ton of letterboxes in the Mt Snow, Vermont area (about 2 hrs north of CT).

Wish I realized this back in May when I was there for Tough Mudder. I couldn't taken a break from the course to do some letterboxing! ;)
Happy Anniversary to Flutterby!
Dec 15, 2011 5:10am
Thread
Happened to see it on the list! Got to meet you on the trail a few times, back when the family was known as the Kaluga Crew. We always enjoy finding your boxes!
Re: Happy Anniversary to Flutterby!
Reply to: #662618 by NeeNeeBee
Dec 15, 2011 6:10am
Thread
Thank you so much. It's hard to believe it has been over 7 years already!! I am still loving the hobby many years, miles and boxes later!!!!
Re: Happy Anniversary to Flutterby!
Reply to: #662630 by Flutterby
Dec 15, 2011 8:31am
Thread
Wahoo! Happy anniversary!