A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Somers, CT
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #660016 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 3, 2011 1:40pm
Thread
Unknown - it looked like they both just closed on Dec. 1st? The one we snuck into, anyway, had some storm damage
Reply to: #660019 by Honeychyck
Dec 3, 2011 2:53pm
Thread
Well, I haven't heard of any parks actually being closed to hikers in Connecticut, but there are some trails that are simply impassable from storm damage, especially in the north-central part of the state. Otherwise I'd be back on the Tunxis Trail tomorrow. I had to bail out on one trail in Avon a couple weeks ago and take city streets back to my car. There was a big blowdown every 100 feet.

In Connecticut, a park can be "closed" but still open to hikers. Don't know how it is up there. Hope you have better luck with the hiking.
Reply to: #660034 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 3, 2011 5:12pm
Thread
I can handle that :) - I'd much rather attempt a trail that turns out to be damaged than encounter 4 signs saying "This park is closed" before I can even get inside.

Thanks!
Anyone want to go after the new Southington boxes tomorrow?
Dec 4, 2011 1:16pm
I'd like to go after the new boxes (a 4 box series) that MVIV put at the Curtiss Family Preserve behind the Mormon church on the Meriden-Waterbury turnpike in Southington. Ideally, I'd like to get out for a hike tomorrow (Monday) and be back home before noon. If anyone is interested, take a look at the clues and let me know if you'd like to meet up. There are 3 other boxes there that I have not gotten. -T
$0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Dec 6, 2011 2:44pm
Thread
Just picked up some true lock & locks from Xpect Discounts for 69 cents each. These are the lime green holiday ones, but I spray paint. Size is the flat rectangular one that easily holds a 3x5" logbook. I bought everything they had in the Derby store of that size. They had some bigger ones, but I don't like trying to hide large containers.
Re: $0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Reply to: #660696 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 5:57am
Thread
By the way, I found them near the Christmas wrapping paper if you go looking for them. They are the same containers as this pack on QVC, but sold individually. The one I got was the smallest one shown, in green.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K17721.tpl.csweb?bvtab=QA
Reply to: #660844 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 1:33pm
Thread
I went to the store in North Haven and they didn't have them. They did have wrapping paper at a good price though!
Reply to: #660928 by DevilinDog
Dec 7, 2011 1:42pm
Thread
Is this a store local to you down there in CT? I hadn't heard of it, and we don't have one up here...
Reply to: #660930 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Dec 7, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
There are six stores in CT only, I believe. They have some great deals, although the Derby store is a real dive.
http://www.ctadsonline.com/ct_ads_weekly_store_ads_xpect_discount_list.htm
Reply to: #660935 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 2:56pm
Thread
and the North Haven one has the slowest check outs that I've ever seen in my life. One check out open, nine people in line, 30 minutes to buy five items. Not unusual at that store. But they have great prices on some items.
Reply to: #660935 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 4:37pm
Thread
Now I'm gonna havta check it out next time I'm down that way - our Job Lots up here, closest to us, is somewhat of a dive too, but they are the only place around that sells the knock-off LnLs. I haven't found a place around here yet that sells the real deal.
Reply to: #660977 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Dec 8, 2011 4:44am
Thread
Now I'm gonna havta check it out next time I'm down that way - our Job Lots up here, closest to us, is somewhat of a dive too, but they are the only place around that sells the knock-off LnLs.

Think of Job Lots, but for groceries, that's Xpect. It's a very funky store, at least the one in Derby. I know a lot of people who go in there once, say, "This store is a dump!" and never go back. But they do have really good prices. A few weeks ago I picked up 2-liter Pepsi for 88 cents each. My tip is to never go on a weekend or Monday, because they get mobbed and wiped out. If you go any other time they usually have some good produce deals, but it is hit or miss. And the checkout can definitely be very long.
Reply to: #661055 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 8, 2011 11:38am
Thread
Cool - thanks for the info TT!
SGSP - New Guide Available
Dec 8, 2011 3:29pm
Thread
The Sleeping Giant Park Association just made the New Geology of the Giant Trail Guide available for download on its web site. It's BIG -- 89 pp. (8.1 MB). Scroll down the left side to find the link for the guide.
http://www.sgpa.org/
Enjoy!
Re: SGSP - New Guide Available
Reply to: #661189 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 8, 2011 3:44pm
Thread
The Sleeping Giant Park Association just made the New Geology of the Giant Trail Guide available for download on its web site.

Cool...the Giant really does have neat geology if you have geekish tendancies. I have to say, though, I dislike the new numbers that were recently painted all over the place.
Reply to: #661193 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 9, 2011 4:00am
Thread
They make great clue landmrks though....
Dec 9, 2011 4:16am
Thread
How exciting! No more guessing in what the numbers stand for anymore. Plus, it's new things to learn! (Yeah, I'm geeky ;-) )
Dec 9, 2011 4:21am
Thread
None of the links work for me... Anyone else having that problem?
Reply to: #661193 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 9, 2011 7:21am
Thread
if you have geekish tendancies

who? me? Perhaps, so. I'd been watching the SGPA site for months now waiting for them to post the guide ever since I stopped and talked with someone as they were painting the numbers on some of the rocks -- sometime late spring/early summer.
Reply to: #661306 by LevreaultFam
Dec 9, 2011 7:27am
Thread
None of the links work for me

hmmm... I just checked and got a page not found msg. The SGPA posted on fb yesterday that the guide was available. I wonder if too many folks tried to download the file...
Reply to: #661346 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 9, 2011 9:12am
Thread
who? me? Perhaps, so

I don't know about you, but I do! Then again, I suppose letterboxing itself is a bit geekish?
Hosting a CT event & Looking for Help
Dec 9, 2011 2:36pm
Thread
Hi CT peeps! I spoke with Eric today at the Riverbound Nature Sanctuary in Cheshire, CT to brainstorm ideas of an event that coordinates with some community service. I would LOVE to host an event and our tentative date would be Saturday, May 5, 2012. They have several indoor rooms that could be utilized for letterboxing fun, trails with 6+ boxes already planted and potential for more. Also, there are many little projects that could be done such as gardening, trimming, cleaning. And, bigger projects such as rebuilding a bird blind that fell down with the recent storm, creating a few cedar fences , improving a crumbling rock wall, and leveling the ground on walking paths that are uneven.

I would LOVE to host an event here and do some projects on that day, 12 noon - 5pm. I'm looking for someone who would be interested in helping to host or be an administrator on this event. Responsibilities would be meeting with the staff (Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society runs the property) and making projects come to be, fielding questions from attendees, moral support, etc. "Newbies" welcome to co-host. I know some of the bigger New England area events have several people in charge so I'm hoping this event will be great due to great minds working together. No need to meet before the holidays...just looking for some people to commit to helping out to various degrees depending on what you're able to give. Thanking you all in advance...

-Teeker
Re: Hosting a CT event & Looking for Help
Reply to: #661449 by Teeker
Dec 9, 2011 2:49pm
Thread
To clarify: Responsibilities would not include "all" of the above, those were just things I would potentially need help with. :-)
Reply to: #661473 by System
Dec 9, 2011 6:04pm
Thread
I couldn't get the link to work. Not sure what went wrong but it said page not found.

It seems to have stopped working sometime late last night or this morning.
Yesterday they posted on facebook on the Sleeping Giant Park Association Official page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleeping-Giant-Park-Association-SGPA-Official-Site/124405787638472
that the guide was finally available. (You may need to log into facebook to get to that page; I'm not sure.) And I was able to download it last night using the link on the official SGPA page that I gave in a prior posting. I don't see that anyone has reported problems with the link on the fb page. I don't have time to follow up right now. But I will check in periodically and post here again if I see the link is working again.
How frustrating!
Dec 9, 2011 6:27pm
Thread
We are not up that way, but I think that that is a fabulous idea! Having fun and giving back. Good for you, and I hope that you get the help that you seek. 8^)
Dec 9, 2011 9:31pm
Thread
We'll have to talk, Teek. We're a little ways away, but I might be able to help out limited-ly, but would like to help, especially with the carpentry aspects if I can. Keep me in the loop - we'll see what we can come up with.
Reply to: #661481 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 10, 2011 8:12am
Thread
The new Geology of the Giant Trail Guide is available for download on the Sleeping Giant Park Association web site. It's BIG -- 89 pp. (8.1 MB) Scroll down the left side to find the link for the guide.
http://www.sgpa.org/

I checked a few seconds ago and the link seems to be working again.
Happy Birthday Mark Pepe!!!
Dec 10, 2011 9:19am
Thread
And many more!!!
Dec 10, 2011 11:36am
Thread
I can't seem to find an address in google maps for the Sanctuary, and don't really know that area, but I would like to help out in some way or another.
Reply to: #661546 by Leilanis Aunt
Dec 10, 2011 3:40pm
Thread
Yes, Guide IS big. I'm wondering of it's in book form for purchase?