A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Ticks!!!
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #657898 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2011 3:44pm
Thread
Right. But we've had an abnormal warmth this winter.

Are you going to reply telling me how this warmth is normal now? Since you like to always correct me
Reply to: #658114 by LevreaultFam
Nov 26, 2011 4:16pm
Thread
I was agreeing with you. You said you can get ticks in November, and I agreed with that. If that was actually an oblique way of saying it's warm, then that went right over my head.
Soon-to-be letterboxer!
Nov 26, 2011 5:29pm
Thread
I just carved a signature stamp for my little nephew, who is 5, and will be taking him to letterbox tomorrow with my sister (and others) at Sleeping Giant. He really wants to see the tower and I suggested we find a simple box to look for and hopefully they will continue to LB with him when they go back to GA. I'm super excited and just wanted to share. :)
Re: Event box
Reply to: #656126 by Teeker
Nov 26, 2011 5:30pm
Thread
Thanks, Teeker. I missed this reply and hopefully will get around to planting sometime soon.
Reply to: #657036 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2011 6:21pm
Thread
Permethrin-based sprays on clothing kill them.

Does any type work well or are they all the same? do you soak your clothes or spray it on? I am really tired of the tick bites and find myself wishing for the mosquitoes again.
Reply to: #658153 by DevilinDog
Nov 26, 2011 6:23pm
Thread
I rather deal with ticks than mosquitos!
Re: Salisbury Ct - Another hiking adventure Trail conditions
Reply to: #657853 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2011 6:25pm
Thread
We found the AT in Salisbury Ct to be in great shape today. We heard that they had over 2 feet of snow in the October storm. A few large blow-downs and a few branches that's all.
We also did 2 small sections of the Mohawk Trail in Cornwall and found them to be in excellent condition. We're thinking that most of the foliage had fallen before the storm and this kept any damage to the minimum. Boxed Penwood State Park (Bloomfield/Simsbury)on Friday and saw extensive damage but the trails were cleared and in great shape.
Adopt my boxes?
Nov 26, 2011 7:46pm
Thread
Howdy! A year after Firestarter's stroke, he is doing much better. BUT, I have to admit that maintaining boxes (never mind planting them) is not possible. Even letterboxing is not in the cards, right now. If you would like to adopt any or all of my currently planted boxes, please AQmail me. I may not check back right away, but we can figure out how to change me to the planter only, and you to the owner. Thanks and happy boxing!
Mountain Goat "Billy" and others
Nov 27, 2011 4:58am
We hiked up a portion of the A.T. Saturday to get Rubaduc's Mountain Goat "Billy" box, and Green Tortuga's Giant's Thumb box. Both were there and neither one had been found in 3 years. I know there are a lot of boxers that say they love the lonfg hikes. Well, if that's the case, this is right up your alley. And to make it even more inticing, we(along with Celtic Roots) have planted a couple more boxes up there. The trails looked great!! they are somewhat challenging, and rewarding. And just so you know....I would not consider myself a hiker...I am a middle-aged, short fat guy.....So if I can do it, most others can too!!!
Re: Soon-to-be letterboxer!
Reply to: #658143 by Peanut Bethy
Nov 27, 2011 5:22am
Thread
How cute! What's his trail name?
Reply to: #658143 by Peanut Bethy
Nov 27, 2011 1:03pm
Thread
That is wonderful! My 15 month old son comes with me letterboxing and has gotten used to the boxing routine. I cannot wait to get him started when he gets a little older (I want him to remember it more). I'm guessing your taking the tower trail? My suggestion is to look for the "Just Some ODD Thoughts" and "EVEN More Thoughts" by smariev. They are very fun stamps and your nephew would like finding the numbers that you need to find to get to those boxes. Anyway, Hope you enjoy!
Reply to: #658318 by LevreaultFam
Nov 27, 2011 1:25pm
Thread
No trail name for him yet; I didn't want to overstep on my sister and brother-in-law helping him with that (they've never letterboxed but my sister thought it was great and will logging on here soon enough). But his signature stamp is now the UConn paw print with a B in the center. I decided to look for Grade A Penguins' Rapunzel box since it was Ben's first time going to Sleeping Giant and seeing the "Castle." That way his focus was solely on seeing the tower first and after he took his pictures, we read the clues, used the compass, and found the box. After he moved a couple rocked to get the box he asked if "we could do this again sometime." My heart melted! I think I'll save smariev's boxes for the next time they're back in CT. Thanks for the suggestions!
Re: Adopt my boxes?
Reply to: #658176 by Butterfly Suzy
Nov 27, 2011 3:11pm
Thread
Hugs, Butterfly Suzy! Glad to hear Firestarter is doing better but I'm sad that we won't be seeing you on the trails anytime soon. Hope he heals up quickly and you'll be back to boxing soon! :)

-gollygee
Re: Cap'n Crunch: The Guppy
Reply to: #657126 by cooledcoyote
Nov 30, 2011 4:19pm
Thread
The Guppy has returned to it's port, and ready again for visitors.
Somers, CT
Dec 3, 2011 11:43am
Thread
I attempted to go out boxing in Western MA today and failed miserably - all of the parks I went to were closed, and none of them shared that online.

To remedy my rather pathetic boxing day, I was hoping to head down to Somers, CT, where bajillions of boxes exist, so I'm sure to get something. Before I do, though... does anyone know of any park closures there (seasonal or storm-based)?
Re: Somers, CT
Reply to: #660004 by Honeychyck
Dec 3, 2011 1:09pm
Thread
Were the parks closed because of storm damage or budget issues?
Reply to: #660016 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 3, 2011 1:40pm
Thread
Unknown - it looked like they both just closed on Dec. 1st? The one we snuck into, anyway, had some storm damage
Reply to: #660019 by Honeychyck
Dec 3, 2011 2:53pm
Thread
Well, I haven't heard of any parks actually being closed to hikers in Connecticut, but there are some trails that are simply impassable from storm damage, especially in the north-central part of the state. Otherwise I'd be back on the Tunxis Trail tomorrow. I had to bail out on one trail in Avon a couple weeks ago and take city streets back to my car. There was a big blowdown every 100 feet.

In Connecticut, a park can be "closed" but still open to hikers. Don't know how it is up there. Hope you have better luck with the hiking.
Reply to: #660034 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 3, 2011 5:12pm
Thread
I can handle that :) - I'd much rather attempt a trail that turns out to be damaged than encounter 4 signs saying "This park is closed" before I can even get inside.

Thanks!
Anyone want to go after the new Southington boxes tomorrow?
Dec 4, 2011 1:16pm
I'd like to go after the new boxes (a 4 box series) that MVIV put at the Curtiss Family Preserve behind the Mormon church on the Meriden-Waterbury turnpike in Southington. Ideally, I'd like to get out for a hike tomorrow (Monday) and be back home before noon. If anyone is interested, take a look at the clues and let me know if you'd like to meet up. There are 3 other boxes there that I have not gotten. -T
$0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Dec 6, 2011 2:44pm
Thread
Just picked up some true lock & locks from Xpect Discounts for 69 cents each. These are the lime green holiday ones, but I spray paint. Size is the flat rectangular one that easily holds a 3x5" logbook. I bought everything they had in the Derby store of that size. They had some bigger ones, but I don't like trying to hide large containers.
Re: $0.69 Lock & Locks, Xpect Discounts
Reply to: #660696 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 5:57am
Thread
By the way, I found them near the Christmas wrapping paper if you go looking for them. They are the same containers as this pack on QVC, but sold individually. The one I got was the smallest one shown, in green.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K17721.tpl.csweb?bvtab=QA
Reply to: #660844 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 1:33pm
Thread
I went to the store in North Haven and they didn't have them. They did have wrapping paper at a good price though!
Reply to: #660928 by DevilinDog
Dec 7, 2011 1:42pm
Thread
Is this a store local to you down there in CT? I hadn't heard of it, and we don't have one up here...
Reply to: #660930 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Dec 7, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
There are six stores in CT only, I believe. They have some great deals, although the Derby store is a real dive.
http://www.ctadsonline.com/ct_ads_weekly_store_ads_xpect_discount_list.htm
Reply to: #660935 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 2:56pm
Thread
and the North Haven one has the slowest check outs that I've ever seen in my life. One check out open, nine people in line, 30 minutes to buy five items. Not unusual at that store. But they have great prices on some items.
Reply to: #660935 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 7, 2011 4:37pm
Thread
Now I'm gonna havta check it out next time I'm down that way - our Job Lots up here, closest to us, is somewhat of a dive too, but they are the only place around that sells the knock-off LnLs. I haven't found a place around here yet that sells the real deal.
Reply to: #660977 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Dec 8, 2011 4:44am
Thread
Now I'm gonna havta check it out next time I'm down that way - our Job Lots up here, closest to us, is somewhat of a dive too, but they are the only place around that sells the knock-off LnLs.

Think of Job Lots, but for groceries, that's Xpect. It's a very funky store, at least the one in Derby. I know a lot of people who go in there once, say, "This store is a dump!" and never go back. But they do have really good prices. A few weeks ago I picked up 2-liter Pepsi for 88 cents each. My tip is to never go on a weekend or Monday, because they get mobbed and wiped out. If you go any other time they usually have some good produce deals, but it is hit or miss. And the checkout can definitely be very long.
Reply to: #661055 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 8, 2011 11:38am
Thread
Cool - thanks for the info TT!
SGSP - New Guide Available
Dec 8, 2011 3:29pm
Thread
The Sleeping Giant Park Association just made the New Geology of the Giant Trail Guide available for download on its web site. It's BIG -- 89 pp. (8.1 MB). Scroll down the left side to find the link for the guide.
http://www.sgpa.org/
Enjoy!