A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Event box
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #656113 by Peanut Bethy
Nov 18, 2011 10:04am
Thread
you could list it as an event box. then, retire it and when you plant it as a traditional stamp, put a notation in the online clues about how it was originally an event stamp. :-)
Where do you see the future of parks and trails going?
Nov 18, 2011 5:15pm
Thread
It's very disheartening to see state parks in such disarray. When I was growing up, I remember going to such parks and they were booming with people. BBQ'ing, hiking, fishing, picnicking...etc. These days, the parks, once booming are now graffiti'ed, empty, and "closed". Do you think its the evolution of technology that makes people not interested in the simple life of hiking? The laziness of people in this ever growing obese society? Lack of knowledge for such parks? Or is it something else? Sign of the times?
Do you believe it will ever be the way it used to? I like to think it would, just because we had a full appreciation for nature but sadly I don't think it will. :-(
Re: Where do you see the future of parks and trails going?
Reply to: #656267 by LevreaultFam
Nov 18, 2011 5:27pm
Thread
These days, the parks, once booming are now graffiti'ed, empty, and "closed"

Actually, some of the parks had to be closed this summer during the holiday weekends because they were overflowing with too many people, including Indian Well State Park in Shelton.
Reply to: #656271 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 18, 2011 7:20pm
Thread
I just read in the newspaper that the number of visitors to the Great Smokey Mountains have dropped by half a million visitors.
Reply to: #656295 by scouttrekkie
Nov 19, 2011 5:10am
Thread
visitors to the Great Smokey Mountains have dropped by half a million visitors

That's interesting... could be in part that gas prices have kept some people from big road trips. People who can't afford the big week-long excursions do the 'staycations' and use the local parks instead. In Shelton we have a situation where people from all over the region can't even afford the DEP's fee to get into Indian Well, and have taken over a swimming hole on a trout stream. That's all about people who are hot in the summer looking for someplace to cool down. I don't know what the park numbers are for other times.
Reply to: #656271 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 19, 2011 5:47am
Thread
ok some parks sorry.
Reply to: #656353 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 19, 2011 5:53am
Thread
Many parks that I have went to recently (The ones that were once booming) used to have park fees and now just dropped them altogether which confuses me. I think our state can earn extra cash that way. but, maybe it's not worth it because no one really goes to the parks anymore and paying someone to work will outweigh the cash flowing in. On another note paying park fees are a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for a vacation so I don't understand why staycations aren't being spent at these parks.
Nov 19, 2011 6:00am
Thread
I think it is a multitude of problems:

1. Most kids would rather be playing video games or chatting on FB. I know I have had to drag my RBB's out for hikes. I don't seem to have that problem on vacations, though. Once they are out there, they enjoy it, but it is the GETTING them to go which is a pain.

2. Most of us lead busy busy lives; busier than I remember when I was a kid. There is very little downtime anymore. We work during the week, some of us for alot longer than 8 hours and then go home, make dinner, help the kids with their homework, get ourselves together for the next day and then go to sleep.

3. Then on the weekend we're still helping the kids with their homework/projects, going grocery shopping, doing laundry and whatever other chores we have to do and boom! the weekend is gone.

4. I see this playing out not just with the utilization of parks, but even with Christmas and Thanksgiving. There seems to be - more and more every year - the grumbling that there just isn't enough time to get it all done. It's really starting to take the fun out of....well, everything.

These depressing observations are brought to you by

Jaxx

who is sitting in the basement doing laundry even as he types this out...... oh yeah, gotta get the Christmas lights up this weekend....and grocery shop.....oh and my daughter has that project.......and ugh.......
Nov 19, 2011 7:25am
Thread
And then there's this:

http://www.nhregister.com/video/?va_id=2605232&pl_id=21367&ref=synd

I think there may be less hiking (although the trails at Sleeping Giant are mobbed) but more demand for places to swim and cool down. As someone who prefers empty trails, that's OK with me, as long as there are enough people still interested in the trails to keep them open and maintained. When there are budget cuts, the DEP will sometimes close down the "facilities" but still allow hikers to go in the park, which can be nice if you're a hiker.
Reply to: #656389 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 19, 2011 8:03am
Thread
Last weekend I finished a six month tour of the 32 state forests doing the DEP seedling series of boxes. I am thrilled to have had the experience and saw parts of the state that I've never seen, forests I've never been to, and collected more tick bites than I care to think about. While the hikes to the letterboxes were not always long or hard or even hikes, the thing that stood out the most was that the trails were empty. In thirty two forests I only ran into 14 other people. Five of them were on one trail, three on another. It was pretty surprising, and I too worry that the state may not think it's worth the trouble to maintain these places if they are underused. I know the seedling series are not placed on the traditional visitor routes in a park or forest, but I still expected to see more people.
Reply to: #656400 by DevilinDog
Nov 19, 2011 8:22am
Thread
Our area of the state - it's hit or miss - either we see a ton of other people or no one. Last weekend in MA hiking, we were amazed at the amount of people out there - it was the same the last time we visited that particular location.

We tend to see more people at bigger parks, but run into no one of those isolated (yet easy accessible) trails that are not connected to parks at all.
Box of the Week
Nov 20, 2011 5:07am
Congratulations to Zurcher on this phenominal box. Dbare and I were just blown away by our first (and only) true nightbox.....

Cheers,

Public Hand and Dbare
Salisbury Ct - Another hiking adventure
Nov 20, 2011 6:01am
Thread
The Quackers and are us are planning another letterboxing adventure to Salisbury Ct. We will be seeking Rubaduc's Mountian Goat "Billy" (LBNA #43439) and Ryan's/Green Tortuga's Giant's Thumb (AQ #120) on the AT. If you are intrigued and enjoy finding the least visited boxes (or possibly never found) join us on our quest. We realize this is a short notice but what the heck some of us could burn off some of that turkey and we're not into shopping anyways. Saturday November 26th at 8:30. The weather looks great as of today for boxing. We are leaving from a dirt turn-off on Cobble Lane just off Rt 44( this is the road part of the AT as it skirts through Salisbury). Bring clues for the area. There are some nice drive-bys in town. AQ if you have questions. Weather cancels,if so will post here Friday night. Steve
Re: Salisbury Ct - Another hiking adventure
Reply to: #656575 by Celtic Roots
Nov 20, 2011 11:31am
Thread
Sounds like a lot of fun. But I will have to wait until next time to take up your offer of a fun hiking & letterboxing trip. We are visiting family in Canada that day.
Have fun!! Hope you find the boxes!!

Syria
Reply to: #656575 by Celtic Roots
Nov 20, 2011 3:07pm
Thread
Would love to join you in another adventure, however, it is just too busy a weekend for me with my daughter in from out of town for a couple of days. So sad to miss out on the great fun!

Can't wait till the next time,
bluebirdlover
Reply to: #656669 by bluebirdlover
Nov 20, 2011 4:38pm
Thread
Sorry to hear...see you next time. Have a great weekend!
Ticks!!!
Nov 21, 2011 4:29am
Thread
Just have to warn everyone. These warm days are ticky trouble. Went out hiking yesterday for about a mile and got coated in ticks. All people had at least 3 ticks on them and the poor dog had over 40 ticks!!! The ticks were mostly just walking around and her fur. You could visually see them...creepy.

Good luck out there!
Re: Ticks!!!
Reply to: #656776 by Travel'n Turtle
Nov 21, 2011 5:27am
Thread
I agree. I've had deer ticks on me every time I've gone hiking since September.

I throw all of my hiking clothes into our white bathtub when I get home. Invariably, I'll see one or two of the little buggers crawling around in there within an hour or two, since they stand out against the white. Ugh.

Rocklun
Nov 21, 2011 5:50am
Thread
This CT Letterboxer has been hiking in Arizona. Haven't had to do any tick checks but have run across a terranchala and a javalena. Any brush I rub against either sticks to my clothing or into me. Will be bringing some spores home no matter how many times I wash those socks!
Nov 21, 2011 5:59am
Thread
Agreed! We are here in CT for the weekend. Spent Saturday boxing and hiking. Came home to hotel, T had two tick bites in shoulder. Now we are dealing with an allergic reaction to one of them :(. He is doing okay but strongly recommends extra precautions right now!
Reply to: #656800 by TRH N T
Nov 21, 2011 6:20am
Thread
Keep track of it and make sure it isn't Lyme disease!
Reply to: #656791 by Rocklun
Nov 21, 2011 6:33am
Thread
This is exactly what we do, throw all our clothes in the tub too , it does help . Its pretty bad if we give our indoor cats ticks...we went boxing on saturday and got covered , they were in clusters on our clothes ,we probably had 50 or more on each of us , we couldn't flick them off fast enough for more to appear ....grrrrrr.ticks are gross
Nov 21, 2011 6:37am
Thread
I pulled nine deer ticks off me yesterday and 8 off the dog....so far. I put my clothes straight in the washing machine...the tub is reserved for soaking ME :). And in fact, I found a tick in the water when I was done, even though I had done a tick check before getting in.
Reply to: #656808 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 21, 2011 6:42am
Thread
And I'll bet you thought you were enjoying that tub bath alone!
Storm Damage
Nov 21, 2011 6:47am
After hiking up in the Avon area, my heart really goes out to all of you where the snow storm hit hard. Holy cow there is a lot of tree damage! We had nothing like that in lower Fairfield County, it's like a different world.

I was on a loop trail that had been cleared part way, and when I got to the uncleared part there was a major blowdown every 100 feet or so. After bushwacking around dozens of these, I finally bailed out and found a city street to walk back on.

Some state highways were lined on both sides with stacks of cut tree limbs 3 or 4 feet high, uninterrupted except for driveway openings. Coming up Route 8 north of Waterbury, the hills were speckled white with tree wounds reflecting the early morning sun. I've never seen anything like it. In a couple years a lot of those trees are going to start to die from these wounds.
west Hartford Res
Nov 21, 2011 9:38am
Thread
We checked on some boxes at the Farmington Ave. res this morning (most side trails are still closed) and found a bonus box whose tree had been cut down. The box was still in the roots of the stump, carefully covered with three rocks. Can't be sure but I think the tree cutters had replaced it better than when they found it :-)
Re: west Hartford Res
Reply to: #656863 by Rubaduc
Nov 21, 2011 2:32pm
Thread
Oh, nice to hear that they are not destroying the boxes there. ;-)
I need to go and check on some of my boxes there. Hopefully they didn't remove the log that some of my boxes are hiding in.

Sally-O
Nov 21, 2011 5:09pm
Thread
They are everywhere! It was/is a bad year for ticks, every time out this year I collected at least one. Ugh...

HikerGuyEd
Reply to: #656969 by Phoenix Rizing
Nov 21, 2011 8:31pm
Thread
has anyone found anything that helps repel them?
Reply to: #657032 by DevilinDog
Nov 21, 2011 9:00pm
Thread
has anyone found anything that helps repel them?

Permethrin-based sprays on clothing kill them. I just keep forgetting to put the stuff on.