Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: State: Connecticut

Re: Okay to replace someone else's stamp?
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #937400 by FloridaFour
Nov 3, 2016 7:22am
Thread
I actually am one who believes if the owners are not active, the series should be retired.

I understand that this particular series builds a skeleton, however, why would the whole series require retirement if there are 6 other viable letterboxes to be had? There are plenty of great letterbox series out there that have been nicked up by a missing box (or two). More importantly, reading the comments by the boxers show those who have done this series really seemed to have enjoyed themselves regardless of a missing piece. Some even describe individual boxes that were "missing" for them that subsequent boxers later found. I assumed that you didn't mean all letterboxes by retired boxers on principle should be pulled.
Nov 3, 2016 2:19pm
Thread
I actually am one who believes if the owners are not active, the series should be retired. But not everyone here agrees with that.

Right, because the minute you retire boxes that are still hidden in the woods, you are responsible for creating litter. Boxes shouldn't be retired unless they are missing or pulled.
Re: Help needed.
Reply to: #937377 by Rubaduc
Nov 3, 2016 5:38pm
Thread
I'll look for it tomorrow- late afternoon. S.
Nov 4, 2016 5:57am
Thread
This series in question is a fun one! I personally feel as though if the owners are truly not on AQ, and probably not boxing, then I think it's ok to replace the stamp, as long as you plant the box in the same location. I only say this because the series requires those specific stamps (you're building a skeleton after all), and all of the other boxes are intact.

I do agree that boxes that are retired, but are still out in the woods are litter. I don't think boxes should be retired without approval unless they are truly missing.

One thing I like about LBNA is that boxes become adoptable after a certain amount of time of inactivity. I wish the same could be done with AQ. Just my 2 cents.

BB
Reply to: #937380 by Neen and Joy
Nov 4, 2016 6:20am
Thread
Wow I remember doing that series I thing it was 5 years ago. had a lot of fun doing that series. would be a shame to see it fall apart. If they have not signed in to aq for 2 years it mite be safe to say they don't box any more. like bungalow boxer said to bad you cant adopt after a certain amount of time like lbna.
Reply to: #937423 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 4, 2016 9:53am
Thread
then I think it's ok to replace the stamp, as long as you plant the box in the same location

Tough call, especially when the stamps all together make an image. If a stamp is recarved, I do think it should look like the original as much as possible, and a note should be made on the stamp such as "recarved 2016 by..."
Reply to: #937380 by Neen and Joy
Nov 4, 2016 11:16am
Thread
Just my random two cents. Since it's a series that needs to be put together as one image, as a finder I would not go after it if something was missing. Normally I wouldn't encourage recarving / replanting, but in this case, where the series is in Connecticut (land of letterboxes), there are so many other options that not having the whole set may make people not seek it out.

Apologies if that's already been said. It's a tough question and what I read of this conversation seemed to agree that this is a unique situation.
Reply to: #937423 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 4, 2016 5:57pm
Thread
I was thinking the same thing. We do remember where we found it last year. My husband and I were talking about doing it every year on Halloween just because it's so much fun and such a beautiful drive!
I sent them a message on lbna because someone said that it goes to their regular email.
I know I've seen boxes on lbna that are adoptable so I checked to see if this series was. It's not lol
Reply to: #937430 by Honeychyck
Nov 4, 2016 5:59pm
Thread
I agree! We were talking about not doing it because someone said it was missing but we decided to look just to be sure.
I'm going to talk with my husband about it too and see what he thinks

It is a tough situation.
Re: Help needed.
Reply to: #937421 by Celtic Roots
Nov 5, 2016 6:21am
Thread
Great. I appreciate it.
Reply to: #937415 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 5, 2016 8:17am
Thread
To clarify, by retired, I did mean removed or confirmed missing. Though, I did once retire a box that 3 people told me was definitely missing, and it was not. Now I put Unknown.
Reply to: #937404 by dingus dufus
Nov 5, 2016 8:19am
Thread
Why would the whole series need to be retired

I said, if the owners were not active, aka, not signing in to Atlasquest for a year or more. I have a few series that are incomplete, and I do not retire them. I am fine with incomplete series.

Also, and yes, *I* believe deteriorating letterboxes that do not have active owners should be retired. *I* believe these are litter. But I also said not everyone agrees with me. I just know that a few times I have requested help with maintenance on my boxes, and no one answered. So those boxes are now unmaintained litter, which makes me sad, and make it very much less likely for me to plant outside my area. And once I quit letterboxing, I will announce it, and remove my local boxes, and ask that any of my other boxes have ownership transfer or be removed if I cannot get to them.
BOTW
Nov 6, 2016 4:38am
Thread
Congratulations Syria!
Re: BOTW
Reply to: #937494 by Celtic Roots
Nov 6, 2016 5:46am
Thread
yeah - back to back wins for CT (again).
Sleeping Giant
Nov 10, 2016 2:57pm
Thread
Noticed on my hike today that the area around the arches on the Violet trail was recently cleared out...... all stones and cement pieces. Only the arches remain.
Re: Sleeping Giant
Reply to: #937767 by mattyfungos
Nov 12, 2016 5:51am
Thread
Yikes! I can't remember what boxes were in there, but I know of at least one! Hope they're still intact.

BB
some cool dude is having a birthday
Nov 18, 2016 11:13am
or should I say some cooledcoyote
Just a reminder.....
Nov 21, 2016 3:52am
Thread
This is just a reminder that the Box of the Month in Marlborough will only be out until Sunday night the 27th. It will be sent to it's next destination on Monday morning!

Come and get the great stamp while you can!

Also, I am going to have the Stamps of O Letterbox Trees Past up and going probably by Sunday, so if you want some extra stamps, come on over starting Sunday! The small evergreens near the BOTM will hold these stamps until Jan 1st.

BB
Re: Just a reminder.....
Reply to: #938313 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 21, 2016 9:16am
Thread
How nice of you to bring O letterbox tree to CT........you know, if a BUNCH of people did their own versions, what a nice jaunt through the state it would make......*hint*wink*........we'll be stopping by for sure.
Re: Just a reminder.....
Reply to: #938322 by SherlockMiles
Nov 21, 2016 4:52pm
Thread
Please keep in mind that these stamps are the stamp contributions from the previous O Letterbox Trees. If you have been to OLB Tree previously, then you will probably have these stamps (although I know that they will all be new to Sherlock Miles ;-) ). There won't be any new stamps on the tree.

BB
Trying to identify a box
Nov 24, 2016 8:28pm
Thread
I found a box at Riverbound Farm in Cheshire that I cannot identify. The box was ruined and the logbook soaked. I brought the log book home and after drying it out, the only image/information I could gleem from it was 'Sadie and Russ'. I don't know if they were finders or planters. I could not figure out the box from their profile, and I did try and reach out to them via AQ mail and through the boards. I want to find the owner so I can let them know that I took the log book. I left the stamp in the box, but the box is compromised.

It is a cute rectangle image of a bunny hopping through grass with mountains (?) in the background. I found the box on 9/23/16.

I appreciate your help.
Re: Trying to identify a box
Reply to: #938414 by SherlockMiles
Nov 25, 2016 12:02pm
Thread
I found a box at Riverbound Farm in Cheshire that I cannot identify. The box was ruined and the logbook soaked. I brought the log book home and after drying it out, the only image/information I could glean from it was 'Sadie and Russ'. I don't know if they were finders or planters. I could not figure out the box from their profile, and I did try and reach out to them via AQ mail and through the boards. I want to find the owner so I can let them know that I took the log book. I left the stamp in the box, but the box is compromised.

It is a cute rectangle image of a bunny hopping through grass with mountains (?) in the background. I found the box on 9/23/16. I appreciate your help.

What does one call a damaged lone ranger box that doesn't show up when doing a "retired" "unknown" and "unavailable" AQ or LbNA search for Cheshire, CT (e.g. Riverbound Farm)? If everything is litter except for a unique hand-carved stamp what are some options in the event the owner/carver are still unidentifiable after one year ???

It does seem that within one year at least one other CT Lboxer would eventually be able to identify this Lbox and it's owner/carver. In the time being would you have taken the box (and contents) home with you or just the logbook to dry out or leave box and contents as found? If the owner can't be determined after one year does AQ (or Connecticut) have a policy with respect to what appears to be an unidentifiable/abandoned [litter?] box found by SherlockMiles ???
Reply to: #938414 by SherlockMiles
Nov 25, 2016 12:38pm
Thread
I don't have an actual answer, but I do recall searching through that park a few years ago and finding at least one box planted by a girl scout troupe, meaning that it was unlisted. I don't suppose this box was under a strangely placed gray block, was it? Maybe check with Teeker, who planted there quite a bit in the past?
Reply to: #938436 by Honeychyck
Nov 25, 2016 1:15pm
Thread
at least one box planted by a girl scout troupe, meaning that it was unlisted

... what do you mean when you say a CT Girl Scout Troupe didn't list their box? Are the location of CT Girl Scout boxes made known only by insider info (e.g. WOM) just to other Girl Scouts?

Are CT Boy Scout geocachers guilty of occasionally pilfering Girl Scout letterboxes when listed with LbNA or AQ = ;)
Box of the Month in Marlborough
Nov 25, 2016 1:48pm
I just received notification that the box had an inch of water in it, and the logbook was wet. I will be taking the logbook inside to dry it out. If you will be coming by to get the box on Saturday or Sunday, please let me know so that I can bring the logbook out to you (if it's not already back in the box).

BB
Closing a Hydro Bag
Nov 25, 2016 1:56pm
Thread
OK folks. If you come across a box made out of a waterproof Hydro Bag (like the BOTM in Marlborough), you need to make sure that you fold over the top at least twice before latching the buckle at the top. If you only fold it over once, it doesn't keep the water out. Unfortunately, the logbook for the BOTM is only semi-salvagable. Many of the stamps are ruined, but those people who use pigment ink seem to have their stamps intact.

Please folks. Make sure the tops of boxes are secured tightly.

Thank you.

BB
Re: Closing a Hydro Bag
Reply to: #938440 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 25, 2016 2:18pm
Thread
If you only fold it over once, it doesn't keep the water out. Unfortunately, the logbook for the BOTM is only semi-salvagable. Many of the stamps are ruined, but those people who use pigment ink seem to have their stamps intact.

Why not just use a Freshness Keeper for $1.50?
Reply to: #938438 by Frenchie
Nov 25, 2016 2:23pm
Thread
... Dude, seriously. What are you babbling about?

I said what I meant. GS boxes are not always listed and there is at least one there that isn't.
Reply to: #938443 by Honeychyck
Nov 25, 2016 3:56pm
Thread
Frenchie - Based on your wording of questions, I am lead to believe that you are unaware that letterboxing in the NY and New England area did start in about 1998 (or close to that)...and it exists outside of listings on AQ or LbNA.

Sherlock Miles - It doesn't sound like one of my boxes...when I see you next weekend, if you want to bring the image with you, I can tell you if it's familiar. If you have the box's logbook, I (or others) can try to figure out who's found it and thus maybe solve the mystery.

To everyone else - Cheshire has several older "retired" or never listed boxes within its parks/preserves. Before I started boxing, there was a librarian who did a few boxes and when I last asked for clues at the library (years ago), no one knew what I was talking about. And yes, there are many Girl Scout troops that did a few boxes here and there during the last 10 years but didn't list them on regular sites. There are also a "few" boxes that were word of mouth, etc.

Fortunately, property managers at the Riverbound Farm are very letterbox friendly. They let us host an event there a few years ago. We did some major repair projects on their property (benches by the butterfly garden, a bridge, weeding of invasive plants) and it was pretty awesome.
Re: Closing a Hydro Bag
Reply to: #938442 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 25, 2016 4:10pm
Thread
Why? Because the new ones stink. And I'm out of the old ones.

BB