About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Country: United Kingdom

US Letterboxers coming for a visit
Board: Country: United Kingdom
Apr 3, 2011 12:32pm
Thread
Greetings! Our family will be traveling to England and Scotland this Spring and hope to be able to find a few letterboxes. I must first confess that I haven't spent a great deal of time researching, but I haven't been able to make much sense of the clues that I've read so far here on AQ. Because we don't know the areas, we'll probably only try to find the boxes whos directions are pretty straight forward. Is there a "go to" website that might give more information about letterboxing in the UK? Our itenerary will include York, Canterbury, Dover, Edinburgh, Bath and London. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! We are very much looking forward to adding some UK stamps to our logbook!
Re: US Letterboxers coming for a visit
Reply to: #596894 by galaxy4
Apr 4, 2011 3:32am
Thread
North York moors are not far North from York (if you will have a car). Happy to help with working out where things are

Mark
Apr 4, 2011 5:08am
Thread
as an american hunter who went looking for boxes in the UK, here's my advice.
many of the clues there are based on maps that were too expensive for me to buy for a single outing. if you don't have the map, you can't follow the clue. it's almost like letterboxing meets orienteering.
this is not a complaint, just an observation. look through all the clues you find, and only take those that are "US-style" clues...unless you want to buy the other maps.

I ended up taking clues for eight boxes that were near where I would be, and written in a way that was clear to understand without special maps needed. finding the boxes with noxers tagging along became a different challenge, but that's not part of this story...

Romana
Reply to: #597005 by Romana
Apr 4, 2011 9:48am
Thread
You can always print bits of maps from www.streetmap.co.uk before you go as well.
Apr 4, 2011 2:59pm
Thread
First, let me endorse the comments made by MarkP and Romana. Letterboxing over here is probably slightly different to what you are used. But just as enjoyable. Our system of grid references takes a little getting used to but is quite logical and easy to master.

I don't live far from Bath so perhaps your visit will be the impetus I need to plant a few boxes in the area :-) As Mark says your best bet will be the North York Moors but look out for the odd box you might be able to pick up if you divert from the motorways.

Whatever you do enjoy your visit.

DM
Letterboxing - it's not a hobby , it's an adventure
Reply to: #597168 by Dilton Martian
Apr 5, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
Thank you for your posts! We will not have a car, so we will be pretty limited in our access. And, realisticly, this isn't really a letterboxing trip - we just wanted to snag a box or two to say we had! DM - we will happily search any Bath boxes you might see fit to plant (that is - what time allows - we are in Bath for only three nights, so our time will be tight)

Thank you all again!
Reply to: #597467 by galaxy4
Apr 12, 2011 2:03am
Thread
If in Scotland, then this site should be of help:

http://letterboxing-scotland.co.uk/

I'm not sure if any are accessible without a car, though. The Pipes, in Glasgow, would be, but I'm pretty sure it has gone missing. I've contacted the owner to enquire about removing it from the site, but never got a reply.

Inverness might be the place to go, if you want to box without a car, though I'm not sure of that because I've not been up there. There's a good density of boxes up there, though.

Hope you enjoy your travels and that you get some nice weather in Scotland. Realistically, I'd bring your rain gear.

Laura
New letterboxing series
May 20, 2011 2:04am
Thread
A new series of 5 letterboxes has been set up in South West Scotland. Search for "Hiccup Horrendous Hadock III". It is based on a series of books by Cressida Cowell - some of you may have seen the film "How to train your dragon", which is based on the first book in the Hiccup series. I think this brings the number of boxes in our area to 23 - not all of them planted by Red Squirrels - but most are. We are trying to get letterboxing started in this area and it would be fantastic if some of you could make your way to this part of the world. All our boxes have hand carved stamps and hand made log books. We tend to favour putting out series of letterboxes which are intended to be done as short walks - we find it is more satisfying to have several boxes to look for at any one time so assume others will feel the same way.

Also for those of you who use Facebook - we have just set up a group called letterboxing in Dumfries and Galloway please join the group and help spread the word.

Hope I have managed to tempt you to venture into the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway either in reality or at least via the wonders of the internet.
Re: New letterboxing series
Reply to: #607645 by Red squirrels
May 21, 2011 4:52am
Thread
I will have to get up there on my next visit to the United Kingdom. Certainly sounds worth it! Well done.
Re: New letterboxing series
Reply to: #607917 by Travel'n Turtle
May 21, 2011 1:24pm
Thread
That would be great if you could come and visit some of our boxes. There will be another series of boxes put out in late August. They will only be available for a few days and will be part of a walking festival. We did the same thing last year and managed to attract a few boxers and a few non boxers had a go too and reports were that they had enjoyed it.
You are more than welcome to plant a box of your own if you do make it here.
heading to Scotland
Jun 30, 2011 7:00pm
Thread
Hello all - I'm heading to Scotland on Wednesday in a total last-minute trip & am VERY excited. I'll be starting in Edinburgh & am trying to come up with an itinerary. Can anyone help with some not-to-miss sights? And of course, if there are 'boxes there, all the better!
-V of MVIV
Re: heading to Scotland
Reply to: #617795 by MVIV
Jun 30, 2011 7:50pm
Thread
World's End Pub in Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle and Arthur's Seat, Greyfriar's Bobby.

In Glasgow, George's Square, the People's Palace, Kelvingrove and Necropolis and Visit the Willow Tearoom:
Designed in the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The Willow name comes from Sauchiehall, the street where one of the tearooms is situated, which in Scottish Gaelic means alley of the willows and the theme of willows featured throughout the building.

Glen Coe, Loch Ness, St. Andrews...

Melrose Abbey:
Robert the Bruce's heart is said to be buried among the pink and red sandstone ruins of this Cistercian abbey which was repeatedly destroyed by the English in the fourteenth century. The ruins are notorious for their riverside surroundings and decorative artwork - including one gargoyle of a pig playing the bagpipes.

Glamis Castle, Stirling Castle, Balmoral ....

Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #617816 by Amanda from Seattle
Jun 30, 2011 7:53pm
Thread
Oh, and when you see the statue of William Wallace, don't remark about how he doesn't look like Mel Gibson! (see Braveheart)

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #617795 by MVIV
Jul 2, 2011 1:44pm
Thread
There’s lots to see in Scotland – it depends on what your interests are as to where you should go. Edinburgh is a lovely city with contrasts between the old town around the royal mile and the new town. You might consider a visit to North Berwick where you can take a boat trip around the islands which are just off shore. Visit Tantallon Castle or go to the beach and sample the ice cream from Luca’s van. Unfortunately there aren’t many letterboxes in the Edinburgh area but there are two near Roslin (make sure you visit the chapel there and see the apprentices pillar).
If you want to do a lot of boxing the highest density of boxes is around Dumfries & Galloway especially in the Dalbeattie area. If you are interested in walking, mountain biking and generally being out of doors this is a great area to visit. It is off the normal tourist route so it has it’s attractions.
Anyway where ever you decide to go I am sure you will have a great time. Happy holidays!
Reply to: #618244 by Red squirrels
Jul 16, 2011 8:46pm
Thread
Thanks Red Squirrels & Amanda - great tips! What a wonderful country to expore!
New box in Scotland!
Jul 16, 2011 8:47pm
Thread
After a fabulous road trip through the beautiful country of Scotland, I'm happy to report there's a new box planted! Check out Fighting Scots:
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=176198
Re: New box in Scotland!
Reply to: #621946 by MVIV
Jul 18, 2011 7:51am
Thread
Great to hear you had a fabulous trip. Too bad you didn't make it to the SW of Scotland, maybe next time?!
A new box heading to England in the coming year...
Oct 3, 2011 8:05am
Thread
This is my first post to this board and I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction? Are there any similar type sites, like AQ, in the United Kingdom? My parents are looking to travel to UK early next year and wanted to plant a letterbox near the new Harry Potter Museum in Herfordshire. I would like to be able to post the clues to this box for locals to find as well as international travellers. Any thoughts on how I might best do so? I will list the box on AtlasQuest, but did not know if there are other ways to help get the box's existence out there for others. Also, any tips for planting boxes in the UK?: type of container (pouch versus lock-n-lock), reducing muggle/authority concerns, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff - FORAYCH
Re: A new box heading to England in the coming year...
Reply to: #644555 by FORAYCH
Oct 16, 2011 5:16am
Thread
My parents are looking to travel to UK early next year and wanted to plant a letterbox...

Hiya,

I don't know which are the best English letterboxing sites, but I bet some of our other discussants will -- so I've reviving this thread on a Sunday in the hopes it'll be seen by some of you 'in the know' about the English scene.

Laura
Reply to: #647608 by Laura Letterboxer
Oct 16, 2011 4:30pm
Thread
I'm an American living in the UK, and from what I can see it's mostly something people do on Dartmoor. There doesn't really seem to be any central website other than one for Dartmoor (http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/).

The London boxes listed on AQ (the only UK listings I've looked at very closely here) mostly seem to have been planted by Americans, and after looking for about a dozen, I have yet to find a single one! I think security, gardeners, etc. find them and get rid of them.

This thread http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2330 says there are boxes in other regions of the UK. They say clues for some areas are on AQ.

It's possible, though, that (as with DM) the place most clues are listed is the printed catalogue, which you have to mail off a cheque for. :) You can find contact details for the people who publish this (maybe postal only!) via the above site, I think. But I think they use very different clues from ours - i.e. map coordinates. I'd probably stick with AQ.

I'm thinking of planting one or two new boxes in London and listing them here. :)
Reply to: #647608 by Laura Letterboxer
Oct 17, 2011 9:38pm
Thread
Thank you Laura :) I am hoping others in the know have some good ideas for getting the box info out to UK based boxers. There is a bit of time before their trip, which is good. Jeff
Reply to: #648004 by FORAYCH
Oct 18, 2011 2:16am
Thread
Worth checking out the UK listings on AQ first, but also Ian Kirkpatrick's site (http://www.ian.kirkpatrick2.btinternet.co.uk/page1.htm).

Biggest area for letterboxing in the UK by far is Dartmoor (where it started) and for that clues are available from a catalogue. PM me and i can give you the details. The reasons for this are so that the national park authorities do not try to ban it.

Other good areas include North Yorkshire (many of the boxes are listed on AQ) and the Lake District, with a growing number of boxes in Scotland. Other ones can mainly be found on AQ or Ian's site (which also gives contact details for non-web catalogues).

Re the clues, they are very mixed. Not all have grid references and where thety do they often only tell you the general area rather than exactly.

Mark
Reply to: #648013 by MarkP
Oct 18, 2011 3:49pm
Thread
Mark:

Thank you for the info and the link!! I will take a little time to review the info on Ian's site and make more queries after, if need be.

At some point, I will have to make it to England to find some at Dartmoor!!! Certainly one of my "bucket list" things to do :)

Jeff
Cranmere Pool
Feb 12, 2012 4:26pm
Thread
Has any one been to get letterbox #1 at Cranmere Pool? I'm going in late April and I was wondering how long a walk it is? I read it was 7 1/2 miles. Is that one way? Any advise welcome!!!!!!
Re: Cranmere Pool
Reply to: #675940 by EverAfter83
Feb 12, 2012 7:10pm
Thread
I read it was 7 1/2 miles. Is that one way?

I don't know how far it is to walk nowadays--I've been there, but I heard that the road I used to get to the trailhead had been closed so it's a longer walk than in years past. But I kind of doubt it's 7 1/2 miles one way. Even if it is, though, walking along that old road would probably be pretty easy--generally flat and easy. The last mile or two requires cross-country travel which would be a little more difficult since it can be a watery bog out there. Just don't trip over any explosives. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #675940 by EverAfter83
Feb 12, 2012 9:02pm
Thread
It is not a road ...
I understand that you must have good weather to proceed. You will need the local ordinance map.

Check out this thread:
http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1876&highlight=cranmere
Reply to: #675974 by Green Tortuga
Feb 14, 2012 6:47pm
Thread
Did you do it all in one day?
Reply to: #675995 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Feb 16, 2012 9:32pm
Thread
I got the map, now just praying for good weather!
Boxes in Isle of Wight?
Jun 14, 2012 1:16am
Thread
Hi, does anyone know if there are any boxes in the Isle of Wight?

If so, where would I find clues?

I don't see any on AQ and can't find anything on the Web either -- except one tantalizing reference: "There are loads [of boxes] on Dartmoor and the Isle of Wight." Maybe this means they're in the Dartmoor clues catalogue (which I don't have, alas).

I'm going tomorrow for a few days, doing some epic walks, and I'd love to find some boxes, but it's occurred to me a bit late.

Many thanks!
Re: Boxes in Isle of Wight?
Reply to: #708355 by damdamdam
Jun 14, 2012 9:01am
Thread
I don't see any on AQ and can't find anything on the Web either -- except one tantalizing reference: "There are loads [of boxes] on Dartmoor and the Isle of Wight."

I can't say I know anything about letterboxes on the Isle of Wright, but if it's anything like Dartmoor, just start poking around anyplace that looks like it might make a good hiding place for a letterbox. =) Real Dartmoorians don't need a clue catalog! ;o)

-- Ryan