Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Sky's the Limit

almost time!
Board: Sky's the Limit
Feb 12, 2019 7:31am
The locations should be released this week and we'll be able to start planning challenge hikes. I hope a lot of them are on blue trails now that I'm trying to figure out the miles I've hiked on blue trails. If anyone wants to carve a stamp for me to plant I'm more than happy to plant it! A thank you shout out to KitKat for offering to manage the tracker again. I agree with the comments from last year about planting early so we can get a jump on it before the high heat of summer. Maybe an April 15th plant by date? March 30?
2019 Challenge
Feb 16, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
In case you haven't been following on the CT board, the sites for the 2019 DEEP Sky's the Limit Challenge have been posted. Half of them are repeats from previous years, but I'm hoping people will still be interested in planting new boxes. So I have posted a tracker: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10144

≥KitKat≤
Re: 2019 Challenge
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 16, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
I’ll do one, but I’ll hold off claiming any right now, but I decline Macedonia, I did that Sky box last time.
Reply to: #971596 by cooledcoyote
Feb 16, 2019 3:26pm
Thread
If memory serves, Macedonia was the most challenging of all of the Sky hikes that I’ve done!
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 17, 2019 10:54am
Thread
I am in for the American/people's forest trail!
Sky 2019
Feb 18, 2019 5:54pm
5 of 14 sites have been claimed so far! Come and join the tracker if you want to participate!
Seeking planters
Mar 8, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
Well, and carvers, of course! There are still several sites available in this year’s challenge! If you’d like to carve and plant, please check out the tracker to see what’s available! If you’d like to carve OR plant, let me know & we’ll try to find you a buddy :-)
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972492 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 8, 2019 1:52pm
Thread
I am happy to plant if someone carves. Maybe a horse or a train stamp with sky 2019 carved on it. I can't carve, but I can plant!
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972496 by DevilinDog
Mar 8, 2019 2:38pm
Thread
Did someone say HORSE? Say no more.

Well, actually, message me. I don’t even know what park you’re doing.
Sky 2019
Mar 20, 2019 4:12am
Mostly for those not on the tracker & sorry for the cross post: at this time, all but two sites have been spoken for. The remaining sites are repeats: Mohawk and Macedonia. Anyone interested? If you’re just interested in carving, we might be able to find you a buddy to plant...
2019 - DONE!
Apr 29, 2019 4:01am
Thread
Very excited. DrCAWatson and I finished all of the Sky hike yesterday! Woohoo.
Re: 2019 - DONE!
Reply to: #974713 by SherlockMiles
Apr 29, 2019 5:19am
Thread
Congrats to you and Dr CA Watson on finishing all of the Sky hike !!!!!
Pachaug Skyboxing - Green Fall Pond
Jun 10, 2019 1:23pm
It seems that DEEP's Pachaug S.F. map has some errors that make navigation confusing...and the clues to that area reflect the park map. The errors bomb out Google Maps, for example.

Error 1: Correct: Green Fall
Incorrect: Green Falls (should not have an "s" at the end) (applies to the road, the pond, and the trail)

I found a history page that laments how often people put an s at the end of fall, with records going way back saying "Green Fall".

Error 2: Fish Road, where I parked recently, is labeled Green Falls Road on DEEP's map, so they have multiple Green Falls Roads (which again, should be "fall" and not "falls"). And again, that will bomb out Google Maps.

Error 3: The blue/orange blazes for Green Fall Pond Trail go all the way around the pond except maybe for the northern tip. DEEP's map shows the blazes only going part way and joining up with the Nehantic blue blazes, which they do, but there are both blue AND blue/orange blazes on the trees along the east shore.

CFPA's CT Walk Book definitely has the better map.

And by the way I planted three boxes in that area, one very close to the Sky 2019 box, so if anyone already printed out their clues in preparation for heading out to Pachaug, there are more boxes, specifically Narragansett Trail https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=306370. I did a 5-mile loop that included Green Fall Pond and the boxes there, planted the other three, and the mountain laurel in some sections to the north was unbelievable. Just beginning to open up. It should be spectacular in a week or so. The best area for laurel is up along the Pachaug-Nehantic Crossover, Laurel Loop trail, and portions of the Pachaug near those trails. Big long tunnels of blooming laurel over your head.