A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Sky's the Limit

Re: how did everyone do
Board: Sky's the Limit
Reply to: #969263 by DevilinDog
Dec 11, 2018 10:12am
Thread
Honestly, I didn't finish the challenge due to the heat and then the rain this year and, to be honest, found the sites that were chosen for the challenge to be very meh this time around. That obviously wasn't the fault of any of the planters, as I felt like everyone (that I saw, at least) did an excellent job based upon the circumstances.

I think I may attempt a different challenge this coming year. There are lots to choose from, and I just need to pick one!
Dec 11, 2018 12:14pm
Thread
I don't know how non-boxers are getting all these sites. It's such a big help to have a set of clues where the planter was able to decipher the DEEP's location and translate that into English for the rest of us. Even some of the DEEP maps were wrong.

I don't know if I'll do it again next year or not. Last year I said I wasn't and then I did. It's a lot easier to do all the parks if the boxes are planted earlier rather than later. That's been the biggest draw back for me. It's too hot in summer, and in fall I have other hiking plans up north. Too many other things going on June through November. But I can do February through May if the boxes are planted.
Dec 11, 2018 1:55pm
Thread
We completed the challenge, but we did not do all of the boxes as we go when its convenient not based on when/if the boxes are placed.

I agree that I found the locations boring. I REALLY liked last year's photo challenge. I know some people complained about short hikes that year, but the short hikes allowed us to do more, see more, and we found the old photos and the attached history very interesting and informative.

I hope they have 'theme' again next year to link the sites.....the sites didn't feel tied together this year.

OMG - no comment on the maps......I don't even want to get started.

Thanks to all of the planters and to everyone who makes sure the DEEP info is disseminated to us all as soon as it is available.
Dec 11, 2018 5:20pm
Thread
I only completed 11 sites...yeah, the maps...I need to take a year to complete 2016,17 and 18. I will do next year & be happy to run a tracker again if anyone wants to plant again!
Reply to: #969288 by Kit Kat 61
Dec 12, 2018 4:12am
Thread
Thank you for putting the tracker together - that will be great!
Dec 12, 2018 10:00am
Thread
Due to moving, I unfortunately did not finish. I did not even get the box that was closest to my house. I guess I could always try for next year when I’m visiting.

BB
Reply to: #969307 by Bungalow Boxer
Dec 12, 2018 7:08pm
Thread
My girls and I were able to get 10 hikes in. Barely. But it was our first year and we really enjoyed it. We will try to hit previous years now!
almost time!
Feb 12, 2019 7:31am
The locations should be released this week and we'll be able to start planning challenge hikes. I hope a lot of them are on blue trails now that I'm trying to figure out the miles I've hiked on blue trails. If anyone wants to carve a stamp for me to plant I'm more than happy to plant it! A thank you shout out to KitKat for offering to manage the tracker again. I agree with the comments from last year about planting early so we can get a jump on it before the high heat of summer. Maybe an April 15th plant by date? March 30?
2019 Challenge
Feb 16, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
In case you haven't been following on the CT board, the sites for the 2019 DEEP Sky's the Limit Challenge have been posted. Half of them are repeats from previous years, but I'm hoping people will still be interested in planting new boxes. So I have posted a tracker: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10144

≥KitKat≤
Re: 2019 Challenge
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 16, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
I’ll do one, but I’ll hold off claiming any right now, but I decline Macedonia, I did that Sky box last time.
Reply to: #971596 by cooledcoyote
Feb 16, 2019 3:26pm
Thread
If memory serves, Macedonia was the most challenging of all of the Sky hikes that I’ve done!
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 17, 2019 10:54am
Thread
I am in for the American/people's forest trail!
Sky 2019
Feb 18, 2019 5:54pm
5 of 14 sites have been claimed so far! Come and join the tracker if you want to participate!
Seeking planters
Mar 8, 2019 12:29pm
Thread
Well, and carvers, of course! There are still several sites available in this year’s challenge! If you’d like to carve and plant, please check out the tracker to see what’s available! If you’d like to carve OR plant, let me know & we’ll try to find you a buddy :-)
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972492 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 8, 2019 1:52pm
Thread
I am happy to plant if someone carves. Maybe a horse or a train stamp with sky 2019 carved on it. I can't carve, but I can plant!
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972496 by DevilinDog
Mar 8, 2019 2:38pm
Thread
Did someone say HORSE? Say no more.

Well, actually, message me. I don’t even know what park you’re doing.
Sky 2019
Mar 20, 2019 4:12am
Mostly for those not on the tracker & sorry for the cross post: at this time, all but two sites have been spoken for. The remaining sites are repeats: Mohawk and Macedonia. Anyone interested? If you’re just interested in carving, we might be able to find you a buddy to plant...
2019 - DONE!
Apr 29, 2019 4:01am
Thread
Very excited. DrCAWatson and I finished all of the Sky hike yesterday! Woohoo.
Re: 2019 - DONE!
Reply to: #974713 by SherlockMiles
Apr 29, 2019 5:19am
Thread
Congrats to you and Dr CA Watson on finishing all of the Sky hike !!!!!
Pachaug Skyboxing - Green Fall Pond
Jun 10, 2019 1:23pm
It seems that DEEP's Pachaug S.F. map has some errors that make navigation confusing...and the clues to that area reflect the park map. The errors bomb out Google Maps, for example.

Error 1: Correct: Green Fall
Incorrect: Green Falls (should not have an "s" at the end) (applies to the road, the pond, and the trail)

I found a history page that laments how often people put an s at the end of fall, with records going way back saying "Green Fall".

Error 2: Fish Road, where I parked recently, is labeled Green Falls Road on DEEP's map, so they have multiple Green Falls Roads (which again, should be "fall" and not "falls"). And again, that will bomb out Google Maps.

Error 3: The blue/orange blazes for Green Fall Pond Trail go all the way around the pond except maybe for the northern tip. DEEP's map shows the blazes only going part way and joining up with the Nehantic blue blazes, which they do, but there are both blue AND blue/orange blazes on the trees along the east shore.

CFPA's CT Walk Book definitely has the better map.

And by the way I planted three boxes in that area, one very close to the Sky 2019 box, so if anyone already printed out their clues in preparation for heading out to Pachaug, there are more boxes, specifically Narragansett Trail https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=306370. I did a 5-mile loop that included Green Fall Pond and the boxes there, planted the other three, and the mountain laurel in some sections to the north was unbelievable. Just beginning to open up. It should be spectacular in a week or so. The best area for laurel is up along the Pachaug-Nehantic Crossover, Laurel Loop trail, and portions of the Pachaug near those trails. Big long tunnels of blooming laurel over your head.
Sky's the Limit 2019
Oct 16, 2019 5:43pm
Thread
How did Sky's the Limit 2019 go this year for letterboxers? Did many of you get to all or most of the sites? Was it worth doing? I haven't heard any chatter and I don't know if people aren't doing it this year or what. There were a lot of repeat sites this year.
Re: Sky's the Limit 2019
Reply to: #980369 by Trailhead Tessie
Oct 16, 2019 6:24pm
Thread
This is the second year that my girls and I attempted to do this. We have about 6-7 sites done so far, and are enjoying them and the stamps too! I do wish the sites were closer to the middle of the state and not all the edges.
Oct 16, 2019 8:13pm
Thread
This was not a great year for me for hiking. My work schedule got a little crazy, and I really didn’t even do much boxing. Also my local hiking buddy is about to go in for heart surgery :-( Hope to still get to a few more, but think this’ll be the first year I don’t at least get the certificate. Doesn’t help that few sites are nearby—when you only have half a day to work with most of the time, it is hard to get to another part of the state. I should at least get to Rocky Neck... So far, only the two I planted plus Salt Rock.
Oct 17, 2019 8:10am
Thread
I REALLY loved it that everyone planted early. Made a big big difference in my hiking this year. I was able to do all the sky boxes and not have to do big hikes in the heat of the summer. Thank you all very much for planting early!
While some of the parks were repeats, there were not many that were exactly the same spots as other years. With only one exception, I found the parks chosen had plenty of other boxes or trails to hike that made them worth visiting again.
DD
Oct 18, 2019 5:56am
Thread
We enjoyed the few we got to do, but it was a bad year for local hiking: I was away for about 5 weeks in good hiking weather, the the summer was just too hot. I hope to get out to a few more this fall, but other commitments keep getting in the way!

LL
Oct 18, 2019 7:04am
Thread
Most of the 2019 boxes are a long drive for me and making long drives to letterbox is getting to be a drag. Kettletown is close but just couldn't get interested. Maybe I'll go before winter hits.

Mt. Tom is close but I wasn't interested in going up the same trail to the same place as before.
Oct 18, 2019 7:49am
Thread
Generally I just cut back the long solo drives and hikes, I still have 3 I’ll probably not do this year.
2019 certificates, etc
Oct 25, 2019 12:34pm
Thread
Just an FYI, on sept 3 I got this email back from deep when I inquired about receiving certificates, etc.

"Mr. and Mrs. Miles,
Mailings are completed when we have enough to create a batch mailing. This year, we have had less folks complete the ten and thus mailings are going out later. You have not been forgotten and will receive them."

We finished all of the walks in May I think....(we dont wait for boxes to be planted)

Here is is almost 2 more months later and still no word.

*sad*
Re: 2019 certificates, etc
Reply to: #980560 by SherlockMiles
Oct 25, 2019 2:05pm
Thread
This year, we have had less folks complete the ten and thus mailings are going out later.

Isn't that interesting. Very early on, I had emailed DEEP saying I was disappointed in that so many locations were repeats, and got a snippy response saying something along the lines that they chose their locations for a variety of reasons.

I've had trouble in the past getting them to even acknowledge the receipt of my photos, after months and months and multiple emails from me. When they first started the program, someone else was in charge and the responses were incredibly fast, even on a Sunday. They were polite and enthusiastic. Now, not so much.

I want to do some fall hiking, so I decided to try and get some of the Sky 2019 boxes, but I'm not doing the DEEP photos or anything. Just the boxes. Well, for the parks with CFPA trails, I'm still working on hiking those. It was gorgeous at Macedonia Brook today.
Nov 11, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
As a follow-up to my original posting asking about Sky 2019, I did finally decide to visit the sites and I think it was worthwhile. Long drives, but it's possible to do 2 or 3 at a time for some of them. I didn't take photos for the DEEP, just looked for boxes and got some hiking in. That simplified things. Salt Rock and Horse Guard were nice surprises. At Horse Guard today, I could see the Metacomet Ridge from Hueblein Tower in Avon all the way down to the Hanging Hills of Meriden. Was not expecting that. For the park repeats, I added some hiking on other trails I had not been on before so that there would be some new ground. All in all, I'm glad I did it.

Hopefully next year they do more sites that are new.