A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Sky's the Limit

Re: 2018 Sky
Board: Sky's the Limit
Reply to: #957219 by Bungalow Boxer
Feb 25, 2018 8:36am
Thread
6 of the original 8 have been claimed—the only ones left are Newtown and Sharon! But hopefully they’ll post the final 6 Wednesday...
Reply to: #957226 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 26, 2018 4:25am
Thread
Can someone make that fantastic map again and share? We've found them very useful.
Reply to: #957240 by SherlockMiles
Feb 26, 2018 3:12pm
Thread
Ahhh, let me see what I can do. BTW, I'm currently carving the Naugatuck S.F. stamp and hope to plant this weekend. Or earlier :)
Reply to: #957240 by SherlockMiles
Feb 26, 2018 4:31pm
Thread
Here's a map with the parking locations for the first eight hikes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10t_nb6C1pCKvLkku2Y2qMm7rMkvcPfPo&usp=sharing
Reply to: #957278 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 26, 2018 5:43pm
Thread
It is really wonderful that you do this. Thanks.
No word
Feb 28, 2018 1:43pm
I see DEEP has not posted the final 6 sites yet...
FULL LIST FOR SKY 2018 IS UP
Mar 1, 2018 6:27am
Thread
Re: FULL LIST FOR SKY 2018 IS UP
Reply to: #957410 by SherlockMiles
Mar 1, 2018 9:07am
Thread
Woohoo!! I will update the tracker this afternoon, but feel free to start calling dibs...
Sky's the Limit 2018
Mar 2, 2018 11:56am
Thread
The tracker has been updated to include the new sites:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=9734

At this time, half of the sites have been selected. Surely someone wants to go up to the northwest corner of the state?

Hope everyone is doing okay with the storm.

Apologize for cross post--I'm going to put this on the CT board as well.

≥KitKat61≤
Boxes at Sky locations
Mar 5, 2018 4:56am
Thread
Did anyone else notice how few letterboxes there are at most (not all, so no need to comment on that) of the Sky parks and forests this year?

Thanks Tessie and Cooled Coyote for the early plants.
Re: Boxes at Sky locations
Reply to: #957536 by SherlockMiles
Mar 5, 2018 5:33am
Thread
I did find 2 archived boxes and will try for 2 others at Westwoods. I am working on a few Ice Cream stamps for spring.
Reply to: #957537 by cooledcoyote
Mar 5, 2018 6:25am
Thread
Ice cream stamps - yeah!!!

Would you mind letting me know which archived boxes you found? I'd like to add them to our excursion plans.
Reply to: #957536 by SherlockMiles
Mar 5, 2018 6:54am
Thread
The 2.5-mile loop for the Naugatuck S.F. box is a newish trail with no boxes that I know of (other that the ones listed for Sky 2018). There were so many interesting boulders and rock features that cried out for boxes. On the other hand, sometimes it's nice to be able to just walk for a good ways without fussing over clues.
Reply to: #957550 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 5, 2018 6:57am
Thread
And you’ll see on the Sky map there’s a Mr Spock Rock, at the Naugatuck SF trail.
Re: Sky's the Limit 2018
Reply to: #957452 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 5, 2018 9:07am
Thread
Interestingly, a circle appears at the second picture location when I print out a map (Hopeville and Day Pond 2 examples) but they do not show up on the maps as seen in the link. Ghostly. I can make the circle appear on my iPhone by hitting print and look at preview printout, then just cancel.!
Sky 2018
Apr 30, 2018 2:45pm
12 our of 14 boxes planted so far, in case anyone interested isn’t following the tracker ;-)

Kitkat
how did everyone do
Dec 11, 2018 8:44am
Thread
So what is the general thought about this year's challenge? did people find the parks challenging enough? Interesting enough? Spread out over the state enough?
What about the boxes? Hidden well? Representing the area well? Close enough to picture sites? Did enough people participate and get the boxes?
Will we do it again next year?
My thoughts are:
I could do without linear trails with ankle deep water for a quarter mile. Most of the stamps tied in to the area very well. Most stamps were easy to get a good image of in my book but some just didn't come out well. The parks on the far edges of the state were most difficult in terms of travel time and scheduling. If they are the longest or most difficult hikes AND the farthest to get to, it was a challenge. I found all the boxes close enough to the picture sites to make it very manageable. I loved it when planters mentioned other boxes on the route. Finally, I love a good challenge, so I can't wait for next year and I hope we have boxes to go with the challenge.
Thanks to all who planted!
Kathy
Re: how did everyone do
Reply to: #969263 by DevilinDog
Dec 11, 2018 10:12am
Thread
Honestly, I didn't finish the challenge due to the heat and then the rain this year and, to be honest, found the sites that were chosen for the challenge to be very meh this time around. That obviously wasn't the fault of any of the planters, as I felt like everyone (that I saw, at least) did an excellent job based upon the circumstances.

I think I may attempt a different challenge this coming year. There are lots to choose from, and I just need to pick one!
Dec 11, 2018 12:14pm
Thread
I don't know how non-boxers are getting all these sites. It's such a big help to have a set of clues where the planter was able to decipher the DEEP's location and translate that into English for the rest of us. Even some of the DEEP maps were wrong.

I don't know if I'll do it again next year or not. Last year I said I wasn't and then I did. It's a lot easier to do all the parks if the boxes are planted earlier rather than later. That's been the biggest draw back for me. It's too hot in summer, and in fall I have other hiking plans up north. Too many other things going on June through November. But I can do February through May if the boxes are planted.
Dec 11, 2018 1:55pm
Thread
We completed the challenge, but we did not do all of the boxes as we go when its convenient not based on when/if the boxes are placed.

I agree that I found the locations boring. I REALLY liked last year's photo challenge. I know some people complained about short hikes that year, but the short hikes allowed us to do more, see more, and we found the old photos and the attached history very interesting and informative.

I hope they have 'theme' again next year to link the sites.....the sites didn't feel tied together this year.

OMG - no comment on the maps......I don't even want to get started.

Thanks to all of the planters and to everyone who makes sure the DEEP info is disseminated to us all as soon as it is available.
Dec 11, 2018 5:20pm
Thread
I only completed 11 sites...yeah, the maps...I need to take a year to complete 2016,17 and 18. I will do next year & be happy to run a tracker again if anyone wants to plant again!
Reply to: #969288 by Kit Kat 61
Dec 12, 2018 4:12am
Thread
Thank you for putting the tracker together - that will be great!
Dec 12, 2018 10:00am
Thread
Due to moving, I unfortunately did not finish. I did not even get the box that was closest to my house. I guess I could always try for next year when I’m visiting.

BB
Reply to: #969307 by Bungalow Boxer
Dec 12, 2018 7:08pm
Thread
My girls and I were able to get 10 hikes in. Barely. But it was our first year and we really enjoyed it. We will try to hit previous years now!
almost time!
Feb 12, 2019 7:31am
The locations should be released this week and we'll be able to start planning challenge hikes. I hope a lot of them are on blue trails now that I'm trying to figure out the miles I've hiked on blue trails. If anyone wants to carve a stamp for me to plant I'm more than happy to plant it! A thank you shout out to KitKat for offering to manage the tracker again. I agree with the comments from last year about planting early so we can get a jump on it before the high heat of summer. Maybe an April 15th plant by date? March 30?
2019 Challenge
Feb 16, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
In case you haven't been following on the CT board, the sites for the 2019 DEEP Sky's the Limit Challenge have been posted. Half of them are repeats from previous years, but I'm hoping people will still be interested in planting new boxes. So I have posted a tracker: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10144

≥KitKat≤
Re: 2019 Challenge
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 16, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
I’ll do one, but I’ll hold off claiming any right now, but I decline Macedonia, I did that Sky box last time.
Reply to: #971596 by cooledcoyote
Feb 16, 2019 3:26pm
Thread
If memory serves, Macedonia was the most challenging of all of the Sky hikes that I’ve done!
Reply to: #971593 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 17, 2019 10:54am
Thread
I am in for the American/people's forest trail!
Sky 2019
Feb 18, 2019 5:54pm
5 of 14 sites have been claimed so far! Come and join the tracker if you want to participate!