Re: Is Letterboxing still alive?
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #984135 by Quiet Place
Mar 8, 2020 6:00am
Thread
I can't speak for everyone, but I still love it very much. <3

Is this on a scale of 1 - 10?
1 - being love Lbing more than life itself
10 - I hate it, you can't make me like it no matter what you give me.
Reply to: #984131 by Trey
Mar 8, 2020 6:35am
Thread
Letterboxing is very much alive in Texas! We just held our 17th TALE (Texas Annual Letterboxing Event) Boxes are still being planted and
Found all the time. I still use LBNA, and I know others that do, but unfortunately there are a lot of Boxers no longer using LBNA. In my opinion, they are missing out!
Blue Butterfly
Mar 8, 2020 8:12am
Thread
Depends on where you live.
Huge decline in finders and planters in our area over the past 4-5 years.
Minimum finders on our boxes anymore.
And if I want to find a L'box, I have to travel to do so.
Not that I'm moving but if we did criteria would include an active L'box community like what is in CT, TX, MA, ME, OH, MI, VA, and a few other lucky states...
Reply to: #984139 by Grrly Girl
Mar 8, 2020 8:45am
Thread
They should add "Refrain from colognes/perfumes."
Mar 8, 2020 9:58am
Thread
LB is still around. Its discouraging when the Plants are in disrepair, MIA, planters aren’t around anymore to communicate. How many listings do you avoid because its been 5-10yrs since last find?
I hope by having recent finds in the area, it makes it more attractive to others to try. (Worked for me!) If your area is slow, please consider rechecking your older boxes and those planted by visitors who won’t be back to do maintenence.
Reply to: #984147 by Flutterby-N-Caterpillar
Mar 8, 2020 10:45am
Thread
How many listings do you avoid because its been 5-10yrs since last find?

Those are the best ones to find! There might be a lower success rate but it is a thrill to come up with one!

Besides, it is a treasure hunt after all and those old ones are the treasures!
Mar 8, 2020 10:50am
Thread
Welcome back!
Glad you are reviving those boxes. We never know how many people become interested in letterboxing, only to quit because the first few finds are missing.
Mar 8, 2020 11:07am
Thread
What you just described was an old box listed on LbNA not being found in years, that was found by someone who doesn’t use AQ. Your assessment was that letterboxing is dead. By what you know of letterboxing, you are absolutely correct.

LbNA is mostly dying. There are certainly areas where it is still used, but overall it’s mostly ignored. The Yahoo groups it used for communication no longer exist, but had all but faded completely from use years ago. If you’re interested in nature walks to okay stamp carvings and logbooks with years of finders, they are few and far between.

Meanwhile, AQ is a thriving community of cool events with friends you’ve made over the years, message boards that have also declined, but still get used a lot, and lots of new boxes. If you’re looking for drive-bys to amazing carvings and logbooks with lots of finds in the first year, but then rapidly forgotten about as more and more are planted in some areas that are over saturated to the point that people don’t even bother putting a logbook in every box, because stamping in is tedious when you have a dozen boxes in a series along the same hike that 15 years ago only had one box in the world of letterboxing that you are familiar with. You’ve only logged 5 finds online because the logbook in the box is what mattered to you, but since you can log them all on AQ and leave private messages and public comments...

Yes, modern internet directions with an address and GPS for the starting point to drive by artistic stamp collecting is alive and thriving. Old school mountain climbing clue deciphering one stamp on a Pink Pearl eraser is dead.

Sorry, I should probably climb down off this soapbox that’s balancing on the saddle of my high horse and go plant a letterbox.

K
Reply to: #984135 by Quiet Place
Mar 8, 2020 11:18am
Thread
I could go every single day if my schedule allowed ... and also, since I'm in Maine ... there's that yucky white S-word that prevents me from doing so ... ;)
Mar 8, 2020 11:35am
Thread
I’m in a unique position as I am a traveling Letterboxer who lives out of an RV. The concentration of letterboxes varies greatly not just state by state but within a state as well.

I have only been boxing since January 2017 but have still managed to find over 2000 boxes, many new and many old. I carry supplies such as extra log books, ziplock bags of varying size and extra boxes also of varying size and fix up old boxes so future finders can also enjoy them. I have also been to a few events and made friends within the hobby.

The boxes and people are out there, you just have to reach out!!

Have fun and welcome back to the community!
Reply to: #984151 by Kelsung
Mar 8, 2020 12:33pm
Thread
Letterboxing has evolved. It has changed....morphed if you will. I think had that not happened it would truly have died out. I’m not always ecstatic about some of the changes but
I’d rather see it change than disappear.

I see new boxes and finds listed on LBNA all the time. But I bother to look. I think that as long as it exists it will stumble along. Any search I do on AQ for boxes will always include something linked to LBNA.

I don’t think old school boxing is dead. Obviously not
as prevalent of course. But as long as there are people around who continue to box after many years (and country wide there are still a lot of them) old school or perhaps a different version of it will survive. It doesn’t have to be hiking up a mountain to find one stamp. Remember lots of old school boxers can’t get to the top of a mountain like they used to years ago. Just sayin’.

I think letterboxing has yet to become just drive by artistic stamp collecting.
Reply to: #984154 by Dawgdok
Mar 8, 2020 12:46pm
Thread
I’m in a unique position as I am a traveling Letterboxer who lives out of an RV. [...] I have also been to a few events and made friends within the hobby.

Come to northern Utah. You'll make plenty of friends here too, and we'll direct you to some boxes.
Reply to: #984149 by dingus dufus
Mar 8, 2020 2:20pm
Thread
I agree, I love finding the older boxes! But for a low participant area, the lower success rate doesn’t help recruit newbies.
Mar 8, 2020 3:28pm
Thread
I've been seeking and finding letterboxes on and off since 2001. At first it was exciting to see a new listing in my area as there were not many back then. After I found all the boxes in my area I quit for a while and switched to geocaching. Boxing and caching brought me to many new places to explore that I had not known about before. Eventually I started carving stamps and planting boxes and getting familiar with the other boxers in my area.

In the last few years my planting and finding counts have increased steadily and I find myself planning road trips based on the boxes to be found and planted in new and interesting places. Next year I plan to retire from work and the road trip lengths and frequency should increase.

A few years ago I set a lifetime goal of boxing and caching in as many of the over 3000 counties in the US as possible. There is nothing like sitting at the computer on a cold and rainy night and plot out a 1000 mile road trip to see how many new counties I can visit and explore in.

Welcome back to letterboxing! There is plenty going on and room for everyone!
Reply to: #984165 by JerseyTrailblazers
Mar 8, 2020 3:39pm
Thread
I’m not really sure why I started up again.

I had a discussion with someone once and we agreed that letterboxing is something that will probably be some part of our lives as long as we are able to do it.

I think there are many people in that ‘forever’ category even if they leave it for a very long time. Or can’t do it as often as they once did. Maybe you’re one of those people.
Mar 8, 2020 6:59pm
Thread
Honestly, I think it really depends on where you are and what season it is.
Reply to: #984156 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 8, 2020 8:08pm
Thread
Come to northern Utah. You'll make plenty of friends here too, and we'll direct you to some boxes.

I have 33 finds and 11 plants in Utah, but they happen to be in the southern half. I’ll get to your neck of the woods eventually. We live in a beautiful, but large country.
Mar 9, 2020 5:45am
Thread
Bicycle dave and I still love letterboxing. In Florida we have to travel far afield to find them, so we plan trips that way. I have planted multiple boxes in my town hoping to draw "boxers" here with limited success. But in RI there are more than we can ever do because the state is so small and so close to other very active states.
The hobby is very much alive. Atlasquest makes boxing so easy. True some have dropped out, but others start all the time.
Mar 9, 2020 5:59am
Thread
I am still very much interested in letterboxing. As I've gotten older I have changed my boxing around some and I have started doing more events, but who doesn't enjoy a walk in the woods during the spring or fall?!! I am also always trying to "recruit" new boxers, especially those of grandchild age ;-)
Mar 9, 2020 6:35am
Thread
It's alive and well in Michigan! We have already had our annual Winter Fest in central Michigan this past February, a 2nd event is coming in April on the east side of the state, May brings an event on Beaver Island, and the annual West Michigan Fall Gathering is being held in October. And next February's Winter Fest is on the calendar as well. So, yes, it's alive and doing well.

There are many active letterboxers in Michigan, but they don't all get out and letterbox frequently. Letterboxing is a hobby, and, like most hobbies, it gets worked in around real life.

I do wish more people from other states would visit Michigan because we have so many fabulous boxes planted here, not to mention the beautiful shorelines, upper peninsula, and more. But it's definitely more of a destination and not as much of a "travel through" state.

And, to add to previous comments, I love to find boxes which haven't been found in awhile. I am now finding that some of my plants are reaching that status and look forward to eager letterboxers logging finds on those boxes which could very well still be there.
Reply to: #984167 by MissMoon
Mar 9, 2020 8:22am
Thread
I think you just described me perfectly.
Glad to see you're still out doing it!
Reply to: #984155 by MissMoon
Mar 9, 2020 9:56am
Thread
I so agree with what you have said.

Thank you!

KuKu
Reply to: #984145 by Three FLAmigo's
Mar 9, 2020 11:10am
Thread
A few lucky States would include North Carolina. We have a once a year HUGE event, that has 500 plus boxes to find over a long weekend.

NC is also in the middle of a letterboxing challenge right now with Texas.

This week-end I spend the weekend with several letterbxing ladies, It was a birthday request by the host to have a LB carving weekend. Soooo much fun.

I started boxing in 2005 and still going strong with 11 plants in Feb. and a ton to plant this month.
Reply to: #984149 by dingus dufus
Mar 9, 2020 11:20am
Thread
How many listings do you avoid because its been 5-10yrs since last find?

Those are the best ones to find! There might be a lower success rate but it is a thrill to come up with one!

Besides, it is a treasure hunt after all and those old ones are the treasures!

I agree! We found a box in July that hadn't been found in 7 years, plus it was a mystery box!
Reply to: #984192 by airstream dreams
Mar 9, 2020 12:55pm
Thread
Forgive me for not including NC on the short list! I’m sure I’ve missed a few other states but was unintentional.
Reply to: #984133 by SherlockMiles
Mar 9, 2020 2:32pm
Thread
I try to introduce it to anyone who shows interest. My favorite hobby just wish I had more time to enjoy it. Hopefully it will stoll be alive when I retire ;)
Reply to: #984200 by Ygritte the Wildling
Mar 9, 2020 3:02pm
Thread
Hopefully it will stoll be alive when I retire

seeing as the hobby is over 150 years old i would wager that it will still be around when the time comes.

smile
Mar 10, 2020 7:51am
Thread
This is exactly the conversation I had with my husband this weekend. But I also feel I'm very much part of the problem. However, I decided I've been a letterboxer this whole time, but during the last few seasons I haven't had the time or energy to participate in any of my hobbies. We all need to remember that just because we stop any activity for a long period of time we need to remember to come back when life's seasons change again. Hopefully some of the classic boxers who have been MIA for a while also turn back up.
Mar 10, 2020 11:41pm
Thread
Letterboxing has evolved. It has changed....morphed if you will. I think had that not happened it would truly have died out. I’m not always ecstatic about some of the changes but I’d rather see it change than disappear.

Interesting take. I'd generally agree with that, though I do think elements of its "original" US form can and hopefully will have a resurgence at some point. If US letterboxing arose from nothing 2+ decades ago, it most certainly can regain creative momentum from its current form!

I do wonder how much of the development of letterboxing culture here has been influenced by a general increase in desire for immediate gratification, as we're conditioned by modern tech. I've noticed some similar trends in the commercialization of ARGs (alternate reality games) and other formerly niche hobbies. And in the puzzle world, many independent recurring puzzle hunts have lost their creators to the more lucrative field of escape rooms.

I don't think letterboxing is driven ~just~ by "artistic stamp collecting" but I do think that perhaps the most notable shift in culture has been that of the excessive quantities of stamps now normalized at gatherings. As these are the social structures used to introduce newbies to other participants of the hobby, demonstrating that 200 "traditional finds" in a day is "how we do it" vs. formerly having many fewer stamps and more of a focus on quality and social aspects (not that there isn't often also incredible quality throughout much of 200+ stamp gatherings!) sets, perhaps, a dangerous precedent for how newcomers to the hobby will start planting boxes themselves.

TL;DR - it's all about the journey and the adventures!

Happy trails,
µ
Mar 11, 2020 6:27am
Thread
Letterboxing has evolved. It has changed....morphed if you will.

How do you mean it has changed? Do you mean that there aren't so many long hikes?