A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter

Re: LBNA down
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #975331 by MissMoon
May 20, 2019 10:42am
Thread
I recently emailed Choi in the past month and received a response regarding old letterboxes to archive and he was very responsive. I can only imagine that he is dealing with something more pressing than letterboxing. While it may be discouraging, be thankful we have other outlets at this time.
Re: LBNA down
Reply to: #975332 by speedsquare
Sep 23, 2019 3:13pm
Thread
Hi All,

Yes, it's been a crazy year. The Travelers Four (Ellen) had her hip replaced then decided that we absolutely MUST move to Cape Cod! :D Things are finally starting to settle down and we've actually done a little letterboxing and plan to plant a few new ones on the Cape, now that the summer season is over.

Choi
Keeping the Lights On
Oct 14, 2019 5:49pm
Thread
The fall fundraiser for LbNA started a few weeks ago. As of today we have had $375 in donations!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/lbna-fall-2019-fundraiser
Re: Keeping the Lights On
Reply to: #980287 by Choi
Oct 15, 2019 6:01am
Thread
Very happy to support LbNA!!
Letterboxing wouldn't be complete without it.
Reply to: #980296 by SherlockMiles
Oct 15, 2019 6:26am
Thread
There are only two websites I pay to use.
Neither one denies membership based on whether or not you pay to play.

Got to support my Candy Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e35FSyv2XxI
Oct 15, 2019 10:08am
Thread
Happy to help! Glad to see this site carry on.
Oct 15, 2019 8:01pm
Thread
Thanks for the reminder. Did my part.
Oct 16, 2019 5:14am
Thread
Done! And congrats on your move, John and Ellen!!
Goodbye Letterbox-USA
Dec 8, 2019 6:13am
Thread
In one week, the letterbox-usa yahoo group as we have known it will be gone forever, and since no new content can be added there at this time, I thought it would be appropriate to use this board as a place for long-time participants of that forum to eulogize its passing. I should have thought of doing this before it was frozen since many letterboxers from the past don't use AQ for conversations, but maybe some will find their way here like I did.

When I first read about letterboxing in early 2002, the article only mentioned letterboxing.org, not the Yahoo Group, so I didn't find my way there until later that year. Before that, I wasn't sure this whole letterboxing thing was legitimate, but after finding my first box then placing one myself, I started wondering who else was involved in all this craziness. That's when I found the link to letterbox-usa Yahoo Group on LBNA and it opened up a whole new world for me and made letterboxing real. Finding and placing boxes was fun, but talking to peers about it was just as fun (most of the time) and provided a way to learn, praise, and complain (sometimes vigorously). Eventually, so many people were conversing that regional Yahoo groups were created to relieve the load on letterbox-usa, and when the Texas group was created in late 2003 I was amazed how many Texas letterboxers were out there that I knew nothing about (at least 7-8!). It eventually became the go-to place for me to have a letterboxing conversation, but I still kept up with the national group for occasional interesting topics. Through the years, as I met letterboxers from all over, I joined other regional groups to keep up with their exploits and it was often quite entertaining. In fact, all the groups were entertaining and I will miss them dearly.

I'm hoping that Choi will be able to put some of the content on LBNA so future letterboxers can see some of their history and those of us who lived it can reminisce. In the meantime, you can view some memories I put together several years ago by going to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/letterbox-usa/files/Letterboxing%20Memories/
The doc file contains links to actual messages on letterbox-usa and if the links don't work when you click on them, try copying them and pasting in a new tab. They should work until December 14, when the lights go out.

RIP letterbox-usa!
Silver Eagle
Re: Goodbye Letterbox-USA
Reply to: #981648 by Silver Eagle
Dec 8, 2019 5:57pm
Thread
Letterbox-USA, and the regional boards were the bomb back in the day. Those old boards were my first introduction to the wider Lb community. Outside of a local gather, it broadened my horizons to a much larger, richer world. RIP, indeed.

Thankfully, with a nod to Ryan, we have AQ, and its boards. Usurper...
Reply to: #981660 by Connfederate
Dec 9, 2019 9:33am
Thread
This is the first I ever heard of Letterbox-USA. I tried the Great Lakes group but never could figure out how to do it. Messages would go to my email, but I seemed to get the same message over and over and couldn't make sense of a conversation.
Dec 10, 2019 6:20am
Thread
A lot of great material in those old boards. I used it to build my History of Texas Letterboxing presentation for TALE 10. Losing the pictures and helpful files created over the years will stink. As Silver Eagle said, the talk list finally became a way for us to communicate in the early days, and plan events. If you get some free time over the holidays, go back and read the old posts. Really fun history!
Dec 11, 2019 4:49am
Thread
Yes, I remember the good old days when all our letterbox clues were simply posted messages on USENET or Yahoo Group forums. You had to stay on top of it or miss a new planting (I’m talking circa 2000). When we’d find a box, we’d post a sitrep message! I recorded all my plants and finds on an Excel spreadsheet XD

The real treasure, however, was the ability to converse with others in this happy obsession :-) Thankfully, we now have AQ (thank you, Ryan)

And thank you, Silver Eagle, for taking me down memory lane.

Warrior Woman
celebrating 20 years of boxing in 2020
lifetime AQ member
Reply to: #981707 by Warrior Woman
Dec 11, 2019 10:54am
Thread
I recorded all my plants and finds on an Excel spreadsheet

I still do that to this day!! 17 years of boxes found, attempted, planted....
Reply to: #981710 by TJ_Mich
Dec 11, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
I gave up the Excel spreadsheet at the end of 2007 because it became such a chore after over 5500 finds, exchanges, and plants.

Thankfully, I have Atlasquest to look back on now.
Reply to: #981715 by Bungalow Boxer
Dec 12, 2019 2:29am
Thread
Almost 9500 boxes and my spreadsheet is still going strong. I love taking trips down memory lane with my spreadsheet which includes items like who was with me, length of walk, and what the stamp image was. It is a little challenging to maintain after events with several hundred boxes but I am glad that I have kept it up to date.
Reply to: #981721 by Janila
Dec 12, 2019 5:34am
Thread
I love taking trips down memory lane with my spreadsheet which includes items like who was with me, length of walk, and what the stamp image was.

Interesting. I started a spreadsheet last winter after AQ removed the non-AQ finds from our logbooks, and took that opportunity to add other info, including the name of the park, name of the trail, and planter. I never finished, but my earliest 1000 boxes are recorded and it was fun sorting the spreadsheet by park location, for example. A lot of those boxes were only listed on LbNA, so putting them on a spreadsheet allowed me to have an electronic logbook with sortable info on all my finds.
Reply to: #981721 by Janila
Dec 12, 2019 9:38am
Thread
I love taking trips down memory lane with my spreadsheet

Did you hide any letterboxes there for us to find? ;-)
Is Letterboxing still alive?
Mar 7, 2020 6:52pm
Thread
I used to letterbox a lot and placed several boxes years ago. Today I found a box in perfect shape sitting out in the open in a field. It had last been stamped in FOUR years ago! Where has it been the last four years and how did it end up here?

I looked it up and I plan to replant it where it was. I also looked up two of MY boxes and found that they are "Adoptable" and so I adopted my own boxes. Then I noticed that the last message on this forum was posted around a year ago.

I remember loving Letterboxing... do people still love it? Does it need another Smithsonian article or something?

Thanks for listening,
Trey
ehkiii@yahoo.com
Re: Is Letterboxing still alive?
Reply to: #984131 by Trey
Mar 7, 2020 7:14pm
Thread
If you're in Boston, MA like your profile says, then letterboxing is not dead for you. You are in one of the most highly saturated states with boxes just waiting to be found and tons of great events to choose from. I am extremely jealous. The boxing experience varies greatly by state and location. But we are very much alive.
Mar 7, 2020 7:31pm
Thread
LOTS of board postings - just not here
Mar 7, 2020 8:06pm
Thread
Your boxes were probably made adoptable on LBNA because you had not signed into the LBNA site in years.

And letterboxing is still very much alive and has been while you were gone. It looks like you have been out of the hobby for many years. It’s been here and active all that time.

This particular board is seldom active.
Mar 7, 2020 8:07pm
Thread
I can't speak for everyone, but I still love it very much. <3
Mar 8, 2020 1:03am
Thread
In My opinion I think it depends on the state, or something ELSE ...just my opinion!
Mar 8, 2020 5:51am
Thread
Absolutely still alive and growing.
I can only speak for myself when I say why I don't hunt for specific boxes.
The guidelines specifically say "Remain on the trails..." and "Leave pets at home".

Could it be that the information in the clue predates the guidelines as listed below?

Generally speaking, again only for myself, I'm not a big fan of breaking the rules. YMMV according to how willing one might be in searching for a box.

I have a series where I explicitly say "No dogs" because the rules of the site says no dogs on the property, but there are those who still choose to bring their dogs and leave them in the car. (not service dogs).

Sanctuary Guidelines for Habitat
For your safety and to avoid conflicts with wildlife, we ask that you please:

Leave everything as you find it, and do not pick or collect items
Remain on the trails at all times to protect plants, animals, and yourself, leave pets at home
Refrain from running, bike riding, or driving motorized vehicles
Refrain from launching, operating, or retrieving drones or other remote-controlled aerial vehicles
Refrain from fishing, hunting, or trapping
Enjoy snacks or picnics in designated areas, and carry out all trash
Do not smoke
Reply to: #984135 by Quiet Place
Mar 8, 2020 6:00am
Thread
I can't speak for everyone, but I still love it very much. <3

Is this on a scale of 1 - 10?
1 - being love Lbing more than life itself
10 - I hate it, you can't make me like it no matter what you give me.
Mar 8, 2020 6:35am
Thread
Letterboxing is very much alive in Texas! We just held our 17th TALE (Texas Annual Letterboxing Event) Boxes are still being planted and
Found all the time. I still use LBNA, and I know others that do, but unfortunately there are a lot of Boxers no longer using LBNA. In my opinion, they are missing out!
Blue Butterfly
Mar 8, 2020 8:12am
Thread
Depends on where you live.
Huge decline in finders and planters in our area over the past 4-5 years.
Minimum finders on our boxes anymore.
And if I want to find a L'box, I have to travel to do so.
Not that I'm moving but if we did criteria would include an active L'box community like what is in CT, TX, MA, ME, OH, MI, VA, and a few other lucky states...
Reply to: #984139 by Grrly Girl
Mar 8, 2020 8:45am
Thread
They should add "Refrain from colognes/perfumes."
Mar 8, 2020 9:58am
Thread
LB is still around. Its discouraging when the Plants are in disrepair, MIA, planters aren’t around anymore to communicate. How many listings do you avoid because its been 5-10yrs since last find?
I hope by having recent finds in the area, it makes it more attractive to others to try. (Worked for me!) If your area is slow, please consider rechecking your older boxes and those planted by visitors who won’t be back to do maintenence.