A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter

Did it make 24 hours?
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #975178 by Trailhead Tessie
May 14, 2019 5:48am
Thread
LBNA is down yet again, did it make 24 hours of being up and running?
Re: Did it make 24 hours?
Reply to: #975212 by Sagacorn
May 14, 2019 7:53am
Thread
LBNA is down yet again, did it make 24 hours of being up and running?

I would be much more tolerant of these ongoing issues if there was some kind of communication with people, let people know what's going on and why. There's none on facebook either. It's frustrating to have it happen all the time and no one will let people know anything.
Reply to: #975212 by Sagacorn
May 14, 2019 7:56am
Thread
Tues, 14th 10:55 AM
LbNA is working (at least for me)
Reply to: #975216 by Grrly Girl
May 14, 2019 8:03am
Thread
It just came back up for me also. But the ongoing question is how long it will last. It's some kind of techy/server/yadda, yadda, yadda recurring issue. I googled it and it's something about the server misinterpreting how many people are logged in. Or something along those lines. ::::shrug::::
Reply to: #975215 by MissMoon
May 14, 2019 8:15am
Thread
I would be much more tolerant of these ongoing issues if there was some kind of communication with people, let people know what's going on and why. There's none on facebook either. It's frustrating to have it happen all the time and no one will let people know anything.

It's definitely frustrating, but I don't think Choi gets much in the way of funding for the work he does. I'd be happy to donate again if I thought it would help.
Reply to: #975218 by Rocklun
May 14, 2019 8:32am
Thread
It's the lack of communication with people that I have an issue with.

Funding has nothing to do with posting here or on the LBNA facebook page and letting people know what the problem is and the reason for it being ongoing. I'm sure people would be more understanding if he would communicate.
Reply to: #975219 by MissMoon
May 14, 2019 10:20am
Thread
I walked away from lbna a long time ago and never looked back.

Warrior Woman
lifetime AQ premium member
Looking for a way to "mirror" on LbNA from AQ
May 14, 2019 12:17pm
Thread
Not sure how to let my clues show up on LbNA when I do all my work in AQ - anyone?
Re: Looking for a way to "mirror" on LbNA from AQ
Reply to: #975224 by Twilight2000
May 14, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
I sign into LBNA, go to Add a letterbox, and cut and paste from my AQ listing.
Reply to: #975224 by Twilight2000
May 14, 2019 12:44pm
Thread
I often add a new letterbox on LbNA, put in all the traditional information and then simply paste the link to the AQ clue. Then, any changes made to the clues on AQ are automatically made on the LbNA listing - no need for maintaining twice as many listings. However, this still gives people who are new to the hobby or those who chiefly use LbNA access to our boxes. By hosting the clue on AQ, they are able to be accessed more readily, given recent outages. It's important to note that if you choose to use restrictions on your AQ boxes this method will not work as well.
Reply to: #975221 by Warrior Woman
May 14, 2019 12:49pm
Thread
I've found some excellent LbNA-only boxes, as I know you have, WW! There's still plenty to offer over there in terms of older clues and clues by newer boxers as well. For many letterboxers, the first introduction they have to the hobby is through LbNA.
Re: LBNA down
Reply to: #975175 by Sagacorn
May 14, 2019 12:51pm
Thread
If you are concerned about downtime, why not list the letterbox on AQ and then paste the link to the clues in a listing on LbNA? Then only one listing need be maintained.
Reply to: #975228 by Nairon
May 14, 2019 12:52pm
Thread
I'm doing that very thing right now.
Reply to: #975226 by Nairon
May 14, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
so I don't use restrictions, so that won't be a problem. But I've got a bunch of clues in AQ that I'd like to marry over to LbNA so that when I update a clue in AQ it updates in LbNA as well. Is that possible?
Reply to: #975231 by Twilight2000
May 14, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
LbNA has a feature when adding a new box that allows you to import a link to another site where the clues are hosted. I just paste the link to the AQ clue in here. If you haven't yet created LbNA listings for your boxes, this is the way to go. If you already have, you can edit the box, erase the text clue and add in the link to the AQ so that you will not have to maintain two clues for each box.
Reply to: #975228 by Nairon
May 14, 2019 5:32pm
Thread
If one wants to look for old LBNA boxes in a certain state and county, one has to be able to actually *get* onto the site and search. Having it go down all the time doesn't help that.

There are old boxes that have never been on AQ, listed by people that are no longer boxing.

It's not just about listing boxes.
Reply to: #975236 by MissMoon
May 14, 2019 5:44pm
Thread
If one wants to look for old LBNA boxes in a certain state and county, one has to be able to actually *get* onto the site and search. Having it go down all the time doesn't help that.
There are old boxes that have never been on AQ, listed by people that are no longer boxing.

This is true - I do believe that there is much inherent history and value in LbNA, especially given my personal penchant for looking for older boxes on longer hikes, as I know you like to do. Some of the best boxes I've found have been LbNA-only boxes. Also, many new to letterboxing have their first experiences on LbNA. Might the downtime discourage letterboxers new and old? Sure. I'm just at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do about it.

It's not just about listing boxes.

Definitely true, but that was the issue that Sagacorn addressed in the message I replied to. Certainly it's also about maintaining access to clues and encouraging people to take part in and actually participating in letterboxing.
Reply to: #975236 by MissMoon
May 14, 2019 6:22pm
Thread

While LbNA does go down occasionally, it's not all the time, and most of the time it's working. Seems like it's episodic. Like for a week it will be down quite a bit, then it will be fine for a few months, then it will act up again. Or maybe that's just me.
Reply to: #975154 by Sagacorn
May 19, 2019 7:28am
Thread
Here we go again. Won't load in Chrome or Safari.

"waiting for letterboxing.org........"
Reply to: #975306 by MissMoon
May 19, 2019 5:03pm
Thread
Up again. It's like a yo-yo.
Reply to: #975319 by MissMoon
May 20, 2019 6:09am
Thread
Choi hasn't logged in to AQ since last October, so I'm thinking that folks should contact him on LbNA or FB.
Reply to: #975325 by Rocklun
May 20, 2019 10:30am
Thread
Choi hasn't logged in to AQ since last October, so I'm thinking that folks should contact him on LbNA or FB.

I know it's been since October.

He has been contacted with no response. People have posted on the facebook page with no response, messaged him with no response.

I have also contacted him about adopting an LBNA box that had no link to adopt but was very old with planter no longer active. No response.
Reply to: #975331 by MissMoon
May 20, 2019 10:42am
Thread
I recently emailed Choi in the past month and received a response regarding old letterboxes to archive and he was very responsive. I can only imagine that he is dealing with something more pressing than letterboxing. While it may be discouraging, be thankful we have other outlets at this time.
Reply to: #975332 by speedsquare
Sep 23, 2019 3:13pm
Thread
Hi All,

Yes, it's been a crazy year. The Travelers Four (Ellen) had her hip replaced then decided that we absolutely MUST move to Cape Cod! :D Things are finally starting to settle down and we've actually done a little letterboxing and plan to plant a few new ones on the Cape, now that the summer season is over.

Choi
Keeping the Lights On
Oct 14, 2019 5:49pm
Thread
The fall fundraiser for LbNA started a few weeks ago. As of today we have had $375 in donations!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/lbna-fall-2019-fundraiser
Re: Keeping the Lights On
Reply to: #980287 by Choi
Oct 15, 2019 6:01am
Thread
Very happy to support LbNA!!
Letterboxing wouldn't be complete without it.
Reply to: #980296 by SherlockMiles
Oct 15, 2019 6:26am
Thread
There are only two websites I pay to use.
Neither one denies membership based on whether or not you pay to play.

Got to support my Candy Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e35FSyv2XxI
Oct 15, 2019 10:08am
Thread
Happy to help! Glad to see this site carry on.
Oct 15, 2019 8:01pm
Thread
Thanks for the reminder. Did my part.
Oct 16, 2019 5:14am
Thread
Done! And congrats on your move, John and Ellen!!