A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: GSA & BSA letterboxing

Re: Letterboxing with scouts website resource
Board: GSA & BSA letterboxing
Reply to: #910752 by MO UR4Me
Oct 2, 2015 5:24pm
Thread
Nicely done! Very informative. Since I teach about LBing to Girl Scouts I checked out the site with a fine tooth comb and found a few edits are needed.

On the home page:
3) Leaders should find the chosen letterboxes ahead of time make sure...
should be
3) Leaders should find the chosen letterboxes ahead of time to make sure....

On the Make Letterboxing Fun page:
2) The View Finds button will let you see the details of who found/attempted the box and when.

The View Finds feature is only available for premium members. The F summary and date last found are their best source for information about previous finds.

Stamping is Fun
Don't underestimate the value of hand-carved stamp.
should be
Stamping is Fun
Don't underestimate the value of hand-carved stamps.

On the Planting page:
Don't use unprotected plastic if the box will be in the exposed to the sun.
should be
Don't use unprotected plastic if the box will be exposed to the sun.

However, if your stamp requires a special color for some reason, you may wish to provide an ink pad.
Maybe suggest stating the color requirement in the clue in case the pad they provide gets dried out or icky.

Thanks for all your hard work. We will all benefit from it.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #910818 by CTEagleEye
Oct 2, 2015 6:41pm
Thread
Great proofreading, thanks!! I was in a hurry to get this finished before tomorrow, so I really appreciate it.
Reply to: #910818 by CTEagleEye
Oct 2, 2015 7:30pm
Thread
Oops just noticed two more edits needed on the planting page

But here are few pointers escecially for scouting organizations.
Should be
But here are a few pointers especially for scouting organizations.

Good luck tomorrow!
CTEE
Amahami
Apr 26, 2016 6:32am
Thread
I haven't dug too deep into searching yet, but I have heard rumors that there are boxes at camp Amahami in NY. My co-conspirator (co-leader) has looked and can't find any listings. Are these WOM boxes or can I find the listing somewhere?
Re: Amahami
Reply to: #925241 by LROSEM
Apr 26, 2016 6:56am
Thread
It's likely that the clues for boxes on GS property are not published online for security reasons. In our council the Camping department has the clues and can provide them to troop leaders on request.

Good luck
CTEE
Reply to: #925245 by CTEagleEye
Apr 26, 2016 7:02am
Thread
Gotcha. My co-leader found one on LBNA, but when she clicked it came up restricted. That's why I was wondering. I figured they were probably WOM, but I didn't want to get there and then not have the clues available while we are there.
Reply to: #925247 by LROSEM
Apr 26, 2016 9:09pm
Thread
Yeah, there are boxes at some of the GSCWM camps, and clues aren't always the easiest to come by. Ask for them in advance, in case it takes a bit to rustle them up.
Reply to: #925319 by ladybugz
Apr 27, 2016 4:00am
Thread
I just thought of another suggestion. There is probably at least one adult educator in your council who teaches a letterboxing enrichment class. Ask your training department about getting in touch with her/him. Very likely they have access to the clues for boxes on council campgrounds. Good luck.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #925319 by ladybugz
Apr 27, 2016 6:57am
Thread
I am going for the weekend to do some training for overnights, camping and CPR certification renewal. I messaged the lady that sent us our camping information checklist. She let me know where to find the clues. I hope I have enough time to get all the boxes! Yay!

Thanks for the help!
crazy girl scout mom
Mar 24, 2017 5:12pm
Thread
I need advice.

I have a 3rd and 4th grade brownie troop. The same two grades have moved up together since daisies. This means that we alternate a single level troop and a mixed level troop every year. We have kept roughly the same girls since the beginning. This is because my best friend is my coleader and our girls are a year apart. We work really well together so we have kept our girls together.

Enter crazy girl scout mom. Her daughter is in second grade. Before we started for the year I told her that our troop doesn't include 2nd graders and we are WAY too full (our troop had 17 girls) to add more girls, let alone younger ones. Our troop was actually "closed".

This year's first meeting rolls around and she shows up with her daughter and her daughter's friend. I feel like I am unable to tell the girls that they aren't welcome and we end up allowing them in since they are brownie aged anyway. I tell the mom that this is for THIS year only. Next year, we will be Juniors and we can't have 2 girls that are still brownies. We will be working on our bronze award and I cannot accomodate 2 brownies. I have told her this REPEATEDLY.

Today, I suggested that my neighbor, a retired teacher, help her next year. She had mentioned starting another troop, but she needed a co-leader. She tells me, "We are just going to stay with you." I said, "you cannot stay with us. We will be bridging this year and we will all be juniors." No reply. This is what she has done every time I say something she doesn't like. She ignores me and pretends it didn't happen.

We have no SU coordinator. What do I do?
Re: crazy girl scout mom
Reply to: #943449 by LROSEM
Mar 25, 2017 2:08pm
Thread
Call your Experience manager at your Girl Scout Council. There should one for every county. Explain the situation that crazy gsm put you in and that you accommodated her child and friend for the year. Ask the GSCouncil to take your situation and to assist crazy gsm's daughter and friend into getting an age appropriate troop. You can request that the Expert mgr come to your meeting and talk to this Mom, perhaps even invite her to your Junior bridging too. Also invite the retired teacher too to meet crazy gsm. It can be difficult to plan a multi-level meeting with 17 girls.

OR ANOTHER OPTION is to go ahead and recruit the retired teacher before the end of the year to be the leader for the two girls and make the crazy gsMom a volunteer asst. Then they can meet at the same place as your troop but they have to go to "their room" to plan Brownie stuff while you're off planning Junior stuff in "your room". Then maybe they might want to branch off on their own after getting more girls and get their "very own troop number" by the end of next year.
Good luck hope this helps.
Re: crazy girl scout mom
Reply to: #943467 by scouttrekkie
Mar 25, 2017 2:49pm
Thread
I have never heard of an Experience manager. I have mentioned my issue to several people in our local office. I left out how she wiggled them in this year, but I have mentioned that there is no leadership in our school for a brownie troop next year and that the girls plan to stay with us. I also said that we will not be able to run a brownie program while doing our juniors next year. I have made it clear that we can't keep them. This year with 19 girls and multilevel has been very challenging. Maybe they are working on it, but there hasn't been anything mentioned to me.

We used to have a woman that helped with all of our little issues like this. Since last year, she is still in the office, but has a new job and title. She doesn't work directly helping the troops. I don't believe her old position has been filled. They keep begging for applicants, but no one wants the job. If it stays open for a couple more years and my kids are in middle school, maybe I will apply. :D
vote for us please
Mar 11, 2018 4:46am
http://ul.ink/BMA6-518640

Please vote for my troop!

Laura Hunsinger-Kelly
troop 30224
An-se-ox boxes
Apr 21, 2018 11:19am
I’m sure it’s waybtoo late to ask, but are there any clues available for the boxes at An-se-ox? My Girl Scouts may be there tomorrow for the open house...
Clues for teaching
Mar 12, 2019 7:38am
Thread
Hi all!
I am wanting to plant a box for my Webelos Scouts for our camp out next month. I am hoping to incorporate a bit of orienteering. But I'm not sure how I want to or should do it.

I could do like normal clues, walk to this point and find Xdegrees then walk XX steps to box. But, I'm not sure this will help them learn compass skills enough? I want to keep it simple, but relevant. I also want them all to have a chance with the compass, so perhaps a few compass clues to get there.

What do you think? How would you do it, or how have you done it?

TIA
Re: Clues for teaching
Reply to: #972603 by photopam
Mar 12, 2019 8:07am
Thread
You could do a few different clues - I've done a set where each clue just has a degree and then steps (Face 210 degrees and walk 25 steps to tree; then face 74 degrees and walk 18 steps to rock). You could also do some cardinal directional clues - Go 30 steps NW and then turn to face SE and look for flagpole.

Compasses on smartphones have made orienteering very easy. If you have the resources - perhaps an additional challenge would be for them to use real compasses with magnetic needles instead of a smartphone?

Good luck with your scouts - thanks for sharing your experiences with them! I hope you all have a great time!
Reply to: #972604 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 12, 2019 10:54am
Thread
Thanks for the reply :)
yes I am hoping to use real compasses. I have three for them to use.
I just wasn't sure how in-depth to make compass training in the clues. I like the idea of incorporating a bit of the cardinal directions as well.

:)
Reply to: #972603 by photopam
Mar 12, 2019 2:15pm
Thread
have you considered doing a Tor box,
such as the following:

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=157157

as an ex-orienteer myself, I found them a refreshing change.
Reply to: #972614 by photopam
Mar 12, 2019 2:20pm
Thread
I usually do not put compass work into my clues for Girl Scout camps, mainly because the boxes are used year round and I'm not usually with groups to help. Many of the GS boxes attract the youngest scouts and I have found that just getting them to learn to follow basic directions is enough.

So I have always wanted to do what you are proposing and think it's a great idea if your group is ready for it (I do not know my BSA levels). I think the suggestion of multiple directional clues are good, the only suggestion I have is to include some intermediate reference points (look for the pine tree @45 degrees and walk 10 paces toward it then turn to 250 degress and walk 50 paces. There should be a 2ft stump to your left.) If intermediate waypoints are not called out, a compass mistake two or three steps back my leave you no where near where you should be! I do think you need to include more than one compass reference, to reinforce the compass lesson. Have fun!
Reply to: #972604 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 12, 2019 3:03pm
Thread
Compasses on smartphones have made orienteering very easy.

I find the phone compasses to be very inaccurate and prefer the old fashioned type. For some reason when I open my compass app it is never oriented correctly and have to shake the phone a few times before it gets it semi-correct.
Reply to: #972625 by Dawgdok
Mar 12, 2019 3:47pm
Thread
Ha - that’s funny! I feel like I always have to tap and shake my real compass to get it to work!
Reply to: #972621 by west dover quidditch team
Mar 12, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
Ooh yes, I don't know how to do this, but this is what I want to learn eventually.

I think a intro to help them get in the mindset to learn this type of skills is what I'm looking for. If that makes sense.
Reply to: #972623 by Lowland Lass
Mar 12, 2019 5:20pm
Thread
include some intermediate reference points (look for the pine tree @45 degrees and walk 10 paces toward it then turn to 250 degress and walk 50 paces. There should be a 2ft stump to your left.) If intermediate waypoints are not called out, a compass mistake two or three steps back my leave you no where near where you should be! I do think you need to include more than one compass reference, to reinforce the compass lesson. Have fun!

I think this is what I'm going to do. I just was thinking there might be a better way to start preparing them for advanced orenteering they might get in their Boy Scout Troops.
Reply to: #972625 by Dawgdok
Mar 13, 2019 6:04am
Thread
My old smartphone compass had a calibrate cycle it would go through when you first started it. You had to roll a ball around the compass points a few before it would work. Just realized my new one does not seem to do that and it does seem less accurate...
So proud!!
Jul 16, 2019 1:33pm
Thread
So follow me on this one. Many of my staff have had kids over the many years we've worked together. But yesterday, since the day care was down, one of my ladies brought her daughter in to work. This little one came running into my office saying "Auntie K! Auntie K!! I got my first girls scout badge!!"

I scooped her up and gave her a big hug and asked to see it.......her first badge is........Letterboxing!!! I decided ice cream was definitely called for.
Re: So proud!!
Reply to: #977336 by Public Hand
Jul 16, 2019 5:29pm
Thread
Beyond awesome!
Reply to: #977336 by Public Hand
Jul 16, 2019 6:19pm
Thread
As cool as the letterboxing part is, the fact that she was so excited to share whatever badge she earned with you is a testament you what a wonderful person you are as well. Congrats to you both!
Reply to: #977345 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 17, 2019 7:50am
Thread
As kind as it is for you to say that, one of the joys (and reasons I've been at this company for over 14 years) is the fact I get to run my department my way. Which means a completely family-friendly environment. I love kids and understand parenting isn't always easy. So my team know if it hits the fan, they can always bring their kids in.......I'm usually the one crawling around on the floor making them laugh and squeal......and our entire team will rotate kid watch so all critical meetings are made.
Reply to: #977353 by Public Hand
Jul 17, 2019 8:35am
Thread
Are you hiring?
Reply to: #977356 by LROSEM
Jul 17, 2019 12:36pm
Thread
Perpetually......we've doubled in size every year I've been here