A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: LTC Collective

Re: Thanks for the invite
Board: LTC Collective
Reply to: #876112 by S and D
Nov 11, 2014 1:01pm
Thread
Some one remade her work and printed poster size to sell. They were posted on Facebook. So it cost her $$$. She is suing for the price of her original piece plus the copied pieces - just over $50,000. 

Where's the YIKES! button!?
Re: Welcome!
Reply to: #876102 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 11, 2014 1:04pm
Thread
I like this idea of all types of artists. I'm kind of goofy with the carving tool. But I love to make cards. Haven't really made too many since April when we moved here. My hands are rusty and my eyes are rusty. But oh it sure does feel good to make cards again!

Well, where I lack in carving maturity, I make up for with enthusiasm and willingness to experiment. ;) (Aka fancy paper)
Reply to: #876124 by angel treads
Nov 11, 2014 1:22pm
Thread
agreed! I also have been making a lot of LTCs recently (I am still fairly new so I am still doing some basic stuff) and I have found the creativity and repetition (when making several of the same card) is so THERAPEUTIC! almost a creative meditation of sorts. Thank you!!!
-PLP
Reply to: #876127 by crosscresent
Nov 11, 2014 1:55pm
Thread
Think of this place like a virtual craft room where we can all work together. :)
Well crap!
Nov 11, 2014 7:43pm
I wanted to make a great card for someone who always makes me smile with their comments on my blog, but wouldn't you know it.... She is here.

Now I don't know what to do....... Thinking thinking

I might be reaching out to you
Good Vibes
Nov 11, 2014 8:02pm
Thread
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️. starting things off right...

Much love to all of you lovely artists!
Re: Good Vibes
Reply to: #876217 by Seattle Bound
Nov 11, 2014 9:25pm
Thread
Hey I give out the lev around here
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Reply to: #876227 by S and D
Nov 11, 2014 9:41pm
Thread
You can give lev I'll stick with ❤️, peace and happiness.
Help Lavagirl Make A LTC
Nov 12, 2014 5:16am
Thread
Let's test this out and see if the group will work the way I am hoping it will..

Here is a picture of a stamp that I have uploaded to the LTC Collective photo album which is public. That means anybody can upolad a picture there and share it on this group.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=4140

The stamp is about 2"X2". Help me make a LTC with it. Please share any suggestions you have. Over the next two weeks I will play around with the suggestions and come up with a LTC and I will post the finished card on this thread so you can see how your suggestions and collaboration helped me create a card. Thank you all!!!!!
Re: Help Lavagirl Make A LTC
Reply to: #876240 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 5:36am
Thread
I'll start with color... many people like to do Steampunk in all grunge dark colors. Depends on the mood you want... I like to add at least one brighter color, which can then be muted with going over it with some kind of stain. So it looks like an aged color photo. Of course, Distress inks are easy to do this look with. But watercolors or using a waterbrush and your inkpads can work, too.

Textures: fun to try salted watercolors or tea stains or "burn" torn edges with lemon juice and heat.
burn small holes in it, too.

Embellish: bits of metal or thin strips of leather or grommets. I really want to buy some of that metal tape with holes in it... or just any tape with holes in it. (get at hardware store) You can also buy tteeeeeenny tiny washers at the hardware store. Like 1/8 inch. I'd have to look up what they are called.

background: fun to add faded text or numbers to represent the past, can use old newspaper, phone book or dictionary pages, etc.

Since it is a smaller stamp, you could add some kind of text to one side or even a picture... a faded black and white or sepia photo would be cool.
Nov 12, 2014 5:41am
Thread
Ooh what fun!

First thought was doctor who....

Then hickory dickory dock....

But now it's "our time is short, let's make the most of it!"

Yellows and blues come to mind.

Probably not what your looking for though...

Just had an idea that probably won't work, but might be fun is if we did a large card and sent it around the country for everyone to add something... Okay I haven't had my coffee yet, but it's brewing!
Nov 12, 2014 5:41am
Thread
Gee, now I want to go find one of my stamps and see what people think up!
Reply to: #876242 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 5:43am
Thread
I like the idea of the news paper, but how do you keep it from smearing?
Reply to: #876217 by Seattle Bound
Nov 12, 2014 5:46am
Thread
Thanks! I feel like I haven't earned my artist wings back though... But comparison is a robber of much joy.

And here's some <3 back.
Xoxo.
Reply to: #876108 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 5:52am
Thread
Yes thank you!
I hope to be inspired. :)
Reply to: #876142 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 5:54am
Thread
Too bad we can't "hang out". Like on google plus.... ;)
Help FL4's owl be Owl-tastic
Nov 12, 2014 6:04am
Thread
size is 1.5 x 2 inches.

I have already made 2 ltcs with this stamp, both totally different. And my intention is that no 2 should be the same. So I am up for anything... throw it at me... I have lots of mixed media supplies.

I don't have copic markers, but I have Distress markers and American crafts markers that can be used with a waterbrush. (similar look)

Thanks!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=130927
Reply to: #876243 by photopam
Nov 12, 2014 6:06am
Thread
Photopam, I like the way you think!!! I would participate in that...
Nov 12, 2014 6:10am
Thread
If you do go with a steampunk or clockpunk theme, I'd like to see what can be done without using brown. Brown seems to be ubiquitous in the steampunk community, probably because all those sepia photos make people think everything was brown back then. It wasn't though. Aniline dyes were developed in the mid 1800s, and the Victorians went a bit crazy with all the wonderful new colours they could produce, using bright, garish (and sometimes really weird) colour combinations. Not saying you necessarily want to go garish, but colour would be nice. Mauve was hugely popular. It was a colour that previously couldn't be produced in dyes, and was one of the first aniline dyes.

Some touches of gold ink in the centre would be nice, I think. Clock gears usually seem to be made in brass, with little red (ruby) bearings.
Reply to: #876246 by photopam
Nov 12, 2014 6:10am
Thread
newspaper, how do you keep it from smearing?

Actually, I think that could add to the grunge look. :) Embrace it! Mixed media artists use newspaper all the time. I suppose you could spray fixative on it first, or quickly brush gel medium or acrylic medium or something on it. Mod Podge, maybe... that might smear, not sure. Acrylic mediums are a little better for that. But if you dye the paper with tea or inks, I think a little smearage is ok, or you can do a whole sheet of newspaper and chances are, parts of it will be ok.

It's all an experiment, can just toss the paper or paint over it, for good textures, if it doesn't look great.
Reply to: #876253 by Penfeather
Nov 12, 2014 6:15am
Thread
Great ideas, Penfeather...

here is one I did... use of color, and I made the wings by embossing gold over black paper... Another way to get a cool color of embossing is mix some black and gold embossing powder together. It seperates out a bit when you emboss, or just sprinkle a bit of each color on seperately in different areas.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=120361
Re: Help FL4's owl be Owl-tastic
Reply to: #876251 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:16am
Thread
I have an obsession with my alcohol inks, so I would suggest putting the owl over three colors of alcohol inks stamped on glossy card stock. Use an exact to cut out the area between the owl and border (I'm not very good at that though) and then put the whole thing over another layer or two of paper perhaps done in Dylusions sprays, more alcohol inks or distress stains with some added texture like you enjoy working with.
Reply to: #876255 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:17am
Thread
All great ideas! Keem em coming. I'll check back in later today. =)
Reply to: #876256 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 6:20am
Thread
You think like me! I did try to cut the area between the border out for one of my cards... yikes, i need a new exacto. It did not come out well for that particular card, but I would try it again. I want one of those ones with the finger hole in it... it is on my Christmas list...
Nov 12, 2014 6:22am
Thread
Maybe this is going to sound weird, but to me that owl looks like it's made out of rosemary leaves. It makes me think of the Green Man. A herbal theme? It could be a fragrant card, with leaves glued to the paper, perhaps. Probably not rosemary, because it curls up and gets woody, but it might work better if the leaves were pressed in a book, instead of just dried. Or lavender leaves might work even better.
Reply to: #876255 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:28am
Thread
YES! I love the effect you got with the gold embossing powder! It adds some shine without looking TOO shiny. It has a sort of well-worn look to it. Like it's been through some adventures.
Nov 12, 2014 6:30am
Thread
That owl stamp is "Wow!" already, but as small as it is makes it even more so. Did you carve that with a microscope?

The clock is also amazing! Both are wonderful carves!
Reply to: #876252 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:31am
Thread
Lets do it! ;)
Nov 12, 2014 6:36am
Thread
Not sure if you've done this, but why not make barn doors that open to reveal the owl?
Use your distress inks/blending tools etc, to make the barn wood grain (don't ask me how I've never done it!) I am sure you'd be able to figure it out before me.
Reply to: #876262 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 12, 2014 6:36am
Thread
Penfeather...

super cool images those are!!! Interesting idea... I have not tried working with natural materials yet..... I shall ponder that... thanks! I'm thinking using leaves to make imprints for a background... then stamp with some kind of green or brown would be cool. I'm afraid to use actual leaves, but there must be a way to do it without it being too crumbly or bulky.

Oberon kenobi- thanks! I used a regular old Staedtler for most of it.... I used a miniaturized Staedtler for some parts of it, like the eyes.

This is my second carve on the Chinese material by Sweetloveqiner. Takes a little getting used to, but worked well for this image. I actually lost some detail because I cleaned the stamp off with acetone to remove the transfer image.... it kind of melted some parts off. (don't do that!!!) I can do that with OZ cut but now realize I can't for SLQ.