About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Pathtags

Just got another free pathtag
Board: Pathtags
Apr 30, 2015 3:27am
Thread
On a recent holiday... driving from Phoenix, Az to San Diego there were 5 hybrid geocache/letterbox es in Yuma,Az I wanted to try for. I downloaded some app for geocaching to help find them. It worked out Ok and using that app I got all 5 finds in under an hour which was awesome. About 150 miles or so later around Alpine, Ca my kid had to go potty so we stopped at a Burger King to get food and let him do his business. I was sitting in the car waiting for him and fired up box Rader... nothing close so I fired up the geo app.... one was 10 feet away from me. Got out of the car and found it... to my surprise was a free pathtag for the next finder.

Awesome eh! So I will log it at there site and make a new wish list. Its cool to find free stuff, and trading it wont be an issue for me. I have no idea who left it as the owners of it never logged finding that cache. Someone just didnt want it and left it for someone else. Now I will remember it as the one that got me another awesome cool skull pathtag I wanted. Obviously the owners left it in the wild to be traded.

I will now have about 40 skull pathtags in my collection.. which I probably won't ever trade.

Anyone still thinking of trading... I got an opening or another offer on unregistered geocoin/pathtag combo coins. Obviously I could sale these for an easy 20 dollars give or take... so this would require 4 or 5 pathtag coins in exchange for one of these... let me know.
Re: Just got another free pathtag
Reply to: #896976 by PunkSoulBrother
Apr 30, 2015 3:58am
Thread
I got an opening or another offer on unregistered geocoin/pathtag combo coins. Obviously I could sale these for an easy 20 dollars give or take... so this would require 4 or 5 pathtag coins in exchange for one of these

I'm not a geocacher, so could you (or someone else) please explain why "unregistered geocoins/pathtag combo coins" are worth $20/4 or 5 pathtags? I did a quick google of geocoins, and it seemed like they're mostly supposed to be treated like letterboxing HHs (that is, moved along, not kept).
Reply to: #896979 by Rocklun
Apr 30, 2015 4:22am
Thread
I am no expert but last time I looked at getting my own Pathtags the cost was 50 coins(nickle sized) for $100 dollars... so two bucks per pathtag give or take.

I just did a Google search using the words"geocoin sherpa pathtag" and then clicked the shopping tab/bookmark at the top of the Google search page. The first result was a $43 dollar sherpa geocoin with magnet to hold a pathtag in its center.

Most geocoin are larger like a silver dollar, pathtags are the size of a nickel. They fit togather to make one picture but still come apart.

$2 vs $43 dollars... not a fair trade in my eyes.

Unregistered simply means no one has ever logged it. You have to register yourself as the owner and give it a name before you can track its progress on the website... If you choose to send it out in the world as a HH. Most people keep them safe at home as 80% of them disappear without a trace when put in boxes.
Reply to: #896981 by PunkSoulBrother
Apr 30, 2015 4:30am
Thread
I am no expert but last time I looked at getting my own Pathtags the cost was 50 coins(nickle sized) for $100 dollars... so two bucks per pathtag give or take.

Yeah, mine cost around $115 for 50.

The first result was a $43 dollar sherpa geocoin with magnet to hold a pathtag in its center.

I looked at the pictures. Pretty cool!
Reply to: #896981 by PunkSoulBrother
Apr 30, 2015 7:39am
Thread
The cost to mint a coin is around $5 each.
These days most sell for $5-$10. People ask for more, but very few ever sell.

I'm still stuck with $700 of my coins that nobody will buy. It's the main reason I can't make a pathtag.
Reply to: #897003 by RIclimber
Apr 30, 2015 9:02am
Thread
I'm still stuck with $700 of my coins that nobody will buy.

Ack!! I'm glad I'm sticking with pathtags!
Need help creating a pathtag for LbNA
May 4, 2015 4:14am
Choi is interested in offering LbNA pathtags and asked if I could find someone to help him design it. (I'm pretty useless, as I needed to hire a pathtag designer for my own pathtag and still haven't figured out how to design one for my daughter Moth.) Is anyone interested in helping him? If so, please contact me. Thank you!!
Any interest in trading pathtags?
Jul 22, 2015 5:56pm
Thread
I now have two pathtags: Rocklun (see my sig stamp picture) and Moth. Please contact me privately if you'd like to trade! :^)
Pathtag Display
Apr 6, 2016 3:21pm
Thread
A couple weeks ago I was feeling a bit down, and decided to order myself a treat: A new display for my pathtags! I had stumbled upon an Etsy shop where the owner will make a custom display based on whatever image you want. I requested one using my pathtag design.

Check out the awesomeness!!!

I highly recommend her Etsy shop if you are looking for a new display.
Re: Pathtag Display
Reply to: #923788 by Crafty Lobster
Apr 6, 2016 3:54pm
Thread
That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing, Crafty Lobster! :^)
Re: Pathtag Display
Reply to: #923788 by Crafty Lobster
Apr 9, 2016 9:44am
Thread
Wicked! You have some equally awesome pathtags for that display! Oooh, and very reasonably priced too...
Re: Any interest in trading pathtags?
Reply to: #905292 by Rocklun
Oct 28, 2016 6:30pm
Thread
I've ordered my first batch to see how things turn out. I was surprised that I could not find a letterboxing theme for the back--the only reason I know about pathtags is because of letterboxers. What did you use for the design for the backside?
Reply to: #937160 by Wronghat
Oct 28, 2016 6:37pm
Thread
Just one of the free generic ones. Want to trade?
Reply to: #905292 by Rocklun
Dec 13, 2016 8:16pm
Thread
Any luck on getting the Massachusetts treasure hiker ones back?
New pathtags
Jan 17, 2017 7:32pm
Thread
Krisckster introduced to pathtags a couple of years ago but Semicolon and I just received ours. We'll be leaving them around as first finders and use them when we do exchanges. We've put pictures of ours up on the pathtag.com page under Wronghat.
Re: New pathtags
Reply to: #940757 by Wronghat
Nov 25, 2018 9:33pm
Thread
I know that this is a year old thread, but just jumping in that i do have pathtags to trade if anyone is interested
What do people do with their pathtags?
Mar 1, 2019 9:16am
Thread
I've collected a few that are sitting in a box at the moment. They're pretty and they're nice souvenirs of fun times, so it would be fun to display them somehow. What do folks do with their pathtags?
Re: What do people do with their pathtags?
Reply to: #972250 by Angel and Demon
Mar 1, 2019 9:41am
Thread
I have a homemade letterboxing bag, so I stitch them on the bag in small spots between the patches.
Correction: I stitched IT on the bag, next to the patch for the state where I got it.
Mar 1, 2019 10:00am
Thread
I wish I knew how to show you a picture, like I can do on Facebook.
I have a round wooden disk like a barstool seat. Hubby drilled "holes" but holes don't go all the way through in the disk . The pathtags fit perfectly , and I have it hanging on craft room wall.
You remember the cardboard map that people used to collect state quarters? Its kind of like that
Mar 1, 2019 11:50am
Thread
I sew them onto my letterboxing denim jacket that is covered in letterboxing patches

Warrior Woman
likes the bling
Mar 1, 2019 1:04pm
Thread
I have a metal "bulletin board" and use rare-earth magnets to stick them on there.
Mar 1, 2019 1:37pm
Thread
I use coin pages (like pages for trading cards, but coin sized squares instead). That is what I currently do as I can also put geocoins in pages in the same binder, but I am thinking of changing.
Mar 1, 2019 3:45pm
Thread
We had a ring that was like a thin metal cable with ends that screwed closed. I think that we got it from Krikster. Anyway, our path tags were on the ring, and that was looped around the handle of our letterboxing bag. I am not sure when it was removed from the bag, but, sadly, the ring and all of our path tags have disappeared. I did like having them hanging like that. 😃
Reply to: #972253 by airstream dreams
Mar 1, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
That sounds neat.
Reply to: #972253 by airstream dreams
Mar 2, 2019 4:07pm
Thread
I wish I knew how to show you a picture, like I can do on Facebook.

Make an album and upload the pic. Make the album public.
Reply to: #972251 by Maude
Mar 2, 2019 8:50pm
Thread
Here's our bag. The pathtags are hanging from the zipper on the upper left so that they jingle merrily as we walk and so we can caress them and murmur--"My precioussssssses"
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=146342
Reply to: #972295 by Wronghat
Mar 3, 2019 4:35am
Thread
I saw a girl who sewed her L&B one onto her backpack yesterday at TALE. Then it hangs in an available spot between patch. Loved that...